Sign in to follow this  
Sbloom141

The definitive Force Awakens opinion thread *possible spoilers*

In this topic, feel free to share reasons why you don't like The Force Awakens like your opinion really matters. Better still, after reading these opinions, create your own topic, so your precious opinion isn't drowned in some god-forsaken 22 page thread with all the other nobodies. Here's mine;

-My expectations were really high, and the film didn't meet them. I hold the original trilogy up on an impossibly high pedestal built from bricks of pure nostalgia and when I saw that Han aged, I felt like microwaving my Kenner figure out of anguish because why does it even matter anymore.

-I also went in with very low expectations because I am fashionably cynical and whilst I enjoyed the original trilogy I recognise all the flaws and lovingly embrace them as one might still embrace an embarrassing elderly relative who makes inappropriate comments to people of different races. This film met my low expectations because the type of mistakes it made aren't the ones I like.

- The film upset me because it has disregarded the lovingly created EU. The house I built on Dantooine on Star Wars Galaxies is now no longer canon and this upsets me.

-I disagree with the casting and want my villains to be physically deformed else I just can't believe they are actually evil. If they have to take off their masks and aren't deformed, then they should have he decency to be stereotypically good looking or I get upset. Kylo Ren is under 40 years of age and gets angry about things whilst wearing black; therefore I associate him with the emo subculture which, to be honest, is fizzling out rapidly. They should have cast Jason Statham, made him keep his mask on, but given him an exposed brain. His motivation should have been to get all the gold in the galaxy.

-Superweapons are old hat and the First Order should have instead created a microweapon. This should not have been a similar design to the Death Star because that would ape ANH too much, and like all true Star Wars fans I love original designs like the Naboo N-1 and Jedi Starfighter. The microweapon should have been a small gold cube built by Darth Statham.

-The film moves far too fast; I like my sci-fi films to move at the pace of Russian cinema classics like Solaris. When I saw TFA, I didn't have any time to write and consult my notes on each scene before the next one started, I didn't know what was going on! This left no time for the characters to develop. A storm trooper turning rebel and a girl discovering her force powers don't count because these things mostly happened during action scenes and not scenes where they were just talking and acting.

-TFA is directed by a man whom I have arbitrarily decided I don't like because he made some films I don't consider to be very good, therefore I don't like it because of his directing. They should have got a better director like Werner Herzog because he would have built better sets, wrote a better script, and acted better actings. I don't really know what directors do.

In this topic, feel free to share reasons why you don't like The Force Awakens like your opinion really matters. Better still, after reading these opinions, create your own topic, so your precious opinion isn't drowned in some god-forsaken 22 page thread with all the other nobodies. Here's mine;

-My expectations were really high, and the film didn't meet them. I hold the original trilogy up on an impossibly high pedestal built from bricks of pure nostalgia and when I saw that Han aged, I felt like microwaving my Kenner figure out of anguish because why does it even matter anymore.

-I also went in with very low expectations because I am fashionably cynical and whilst I enjoyed the original trilogy I recognise all the flaws and lovingly embrace them as one might still embrace an embarrassing elderly relative who makes inappropriate comments to people of different races. This film met my low expectations because the type of mistakes it made aren't the ones I like.

- The film upset me because it has disregarded the lovingly created EU. The house I built on Dantooine on Star Wars Galaxies is now no longer canon and this upsets me.

-I disagree with the casting and want my villains to be physically deformed else I just can't believe they are actually evil. If they have to take off their masks and aren't deformed, then they should have he decency to be stereotypically good looking or I get upset. Kylo Ren is under 40 years of age and gets angry about things whilst wearing black; therefore I associate him with the emo subculture which, to be honest, is fizzling out rapidly. They should have cast Jason Statham, made him keep his mask on, but given him an exposed brain. His motivation should have been to get all the gold in the galaxy.

-Superweapons are old hat and the First Order should have instead created a microweapon. This should not have been a similar design to the Death Star because that would ape ANH too much, and like all true Star Wars fans I love original designs like the Naboo N-1 and Jedi Starfighter. The microweapon should have been a small gold cube built by Darth Statham.

-The film moves far too fast; I like my sci-fi films to move at the pace of Russian cinema classics like Solaris. When I saw TFA, I didn't have any time to write and consult my notes on each scene before the next one started, I didn't know what was going on! This left no time for the characters to develop. A storm trooper turning rebel and a girl discovering her force powers don't count because these things mostly happened during action scenes and not scenes where they were just talking and acting.

-TFA is directed by a man whom I have arbitrarily decided I don't like because he made some films I don't consider to be very good, therefore I don't like it because of his directing. They should have got a better director like Werner Herzog because he would have built better sets, wrote a better script, and acted better actings. I don't really know what directors do.

Why the anger? there is no news from FFG and there won;t be until the 4th at the earliest. This is currently the biggest thing to happen to Star Wars in a decade and you are on a public forum on the internet. Kylo Ren was a fine villain bordering on good but he shouldn't have taken off his mask. You can literally hear people's disappointment to Adam Driver's reveal. The plot was fine if a little lazy but it is Star Wars so nothing truly amazing should have been expected. The pacing was fine up until starkiller base assault. Directors do have a lot of influence, obviously they don't do everything but it's very clearly a JJ Abrams movie much like Avengers was very clearly directed by Joss Whedon. Directors have very obvious hallmarks that they include and some people don't like them. I've seen it twice so far and in my completely objective opinion it is not a good movie. I'll still go see the next one. 

Edited by McFoy

I loved the movie.

I feel like it was immediately torn to shreds by constant over-analysis and a combination of impossibly high standards and far-too-low expectations. If I watched the OT with the same mindset that a lot of folks have over TFA, I would hate it. Of course it's not perfect; every thing ever made will have problems. But it is an absolutely great movie, and I think many have had their experience spoiled by cynicism and nostalgia.

So yeah, I agree with the OP. Why do we nerds have so much against being happy? ;P

(Yes, that's all just my opinion, blah blah blah, I probably won't get sucked back into this thread, just posting some random thoughts)

I missed the part where the hyperbole applied to film promoters as well as opposed to just detractors.

People that liked TFA haven't created several threads about it. At most, there's this one and another that was made as a rebuttal to more negative threads. There's a neutral one trying to get opinions, and several discussing what might be added to the game, but most of the threads intended to talk about the movie are started by people that didn't like it.