Sign in to follow this  
migs6000

Force and Destiny Tips

So I will be starting up a FnD campaign soon and was just looking for any tips from other GMs specific to this set.

I've run an Edge game but I know with Jedi and the Force, new challenges await for me as a GM. Anything you have come across or thought about, please share. Thanks in advance!

What are the capability expectations of your PCs.  That's probably the biggest issue starting out.  Force user PCs that are aiming for that iconic experience are not going to feel terribly heroic at first.

^ this.  Also, know what you want out of the story as well.  Understand that giving your players lightsabers and the like right up front can get pretty deadly for your NPCs.  The beginner box kind of frustrates me with this.  I told my players there were no lightsabers for a little bit plotwise (and because I wanted to be ready for them), and then we played the box set and a couple of the starting characters start with them, right off the bat.

I think one of the biggest hurdles my players faced was understanding that they aren't Jedi from the republic yet, and wont be for a bit. That being the case, they found some pretty cool things that their characters can still do, and have felt like the growth of their characters is a little more natural.

The conflict/morality system can be a little frustrating to work with, it is the most complicated of the three additional systems (obligation, duty, morality), as it isn't just a roll for plot additions or a total that can buy cool gear or titles.  It is supposed to represent emotional turmoil as your PCs face dangers and make choices, for the better or the worse.  I have some problems with this system still, and have been muddling through.  I think the key point here though, is don't let it bog you down.  Run through the fog, and you will be fine.  For us, morality only comes into it in a big way when one of the PCs does something really dark. For example, the team is facing a dark jedi acolyte (not a sith, but a Jedi who became twisted and fell).  The Wookie of the party tries to talk him down, and gets a swipe across his mid section (a critical strike that left a wicked scar), in rage and fury (the player's words not mine), the Wookie goes crazy on the acolyte, pausing when the acolyte falls, and then continues the barrage, ending the acolyte's life.  Giving into the rage and fury is one thing, ending the life of someone already beaten is another.  The player and I ruled that there wouldn't be a conflict 'roll' for the Wookie, his morality dropped a couple of points on its own. 

Overall, I have run all three systems now, and this one seems to be the one the players have the most fun with, and the one that I enjoy running the most.

Good luck...and may the force be with you.

I think they sort of know they are not going to start off like Darth Vader power wise but I will remind them of that when we do our Session 0. They are creating their own characters but I will be running them through the adventures in the GM kit/beginner kit/core book to sort of establish the story, with me adding my own twists. But, I already said they are not starting with sabers. Those I want them to be quests in their own and actually work to build the hilt and get the crystals. I feel if you just give it to them it diminishes the weapon. This way they sort of craft their own and have some attachment to it. 

For the morality thing, they can pick a strength/weakness but I'm not rolling anything, I will just include story elements as I see fit. But I really want to test their resolve when it comes to slipping to the dark side. I was thinking about giving out more conflict points than usual, more morally grey areas and actual tangible pros/cons for being Light or Dark. Not just, "wow, 1 extra strain". But then I guess I would have to add a bit to the system to really get that to work.

If their expectations about power levels are good I don't think you'll have any pitfalls really, particularly if they know out the gate they aren't getting sabers.  The bulk of issues I read about typically have to do with expectations and speed of character advancement.