Sign in to follow this  
MacchuWA

Kylo Ren crew card - what abilities might he have? TFA Spoilers!

So, Kylo Ren seems an obvious choice for a First Order crew card in the near future, and I was wondering what people think an appropriate ability for him might be?

My thoughts were that it should be something thematic and appropriate to the chatacter. Given that his biggest moment in the film involves the killing of one of the major protagonist (something nobody other than Darth Maul has ever managed (Vader and Obi Wan in ANH has too many shades of grey to count), I though that something that involves killing crew members might be appropriate. I also like the idea that his crew card might also do some damage, to simulate his tendency to destroy stuff with his sabre when annoyed.

So, this is what I came up with:

Kylo Ren

Crew.

Imperial Only.

2 points.

When touching a hostile ship, you may discard this card to force your opponent to discard one single <crew> icon crew card from that ship. Then suffer one damage.

The idea is that it's a gamble. There are plenty of lists you'll face where this Kylo would be useless, but against other ships, where he might be able to be used to kill a 5 point Gunner, or a Vader, or a C3PO, he'd be a bargain, sarificing two points to wreck your opponents strategy or synergy.

That's just one idea though. What else might be good for Ben Solo on the imperial side?

Honestly after watching him tear things up when he gets angry, I feel like he's a much better fit for Vader's crew ability than Vader is...

Kylo Ren - Dunno. As ppl say, he has not flown

Finn(Crew) 6pts - after you perform an attack that does not hit,immediatly perform a second attack that automatically deals 2 hits, may not be modified. Once pr turn. 

Rey (YT1300) - The YT1300 is new and modified. It has 2 Agility. (Thus showing how good a defensive pilot Rey is, while making 3P0 not the best option) Poits&Pilot skill.... Not sure.

Edited by arolig

Kylo Ren

Crew.

Imperial Only.

-4 points.

When this ship misses, it is dealt one faceup damage card.

Kylo hates consoles. I feel like they must just have a bunch of fake consoles in the FO ships/bases just for him.

How about combining that theme with a kind of mash up of Daddy and Granddaddy's abilities.

When attacking, if the attack does not hit (Luke) and you have a target lock on the defender, you may spend the target lock (Kylo smashes console) to deal one critical damage to the defender (Vader)

This is my favorite.

I'm also in the upgraded intelligence agent camp, dude was pulling thoughts out of people's heads that were trying to block him. Sure he is whiny, unstable, and emo - but he is also only partly trained and freakishly powerful.

Kylo ren crew

Imperial only

Points? 4 or 5, maybe even 6?

At the beginning of the combat phase, reveal all opposing dials within range 1, one friendly ship within range one may change their dial setting.

So, Kylo Ren seems an obvious choice for a First Order crew card in the near future, and I was wondering what people think an appropriate ability for him might be?

My thoughts were that it should be something thematic and appropriate to the chatacter. Given that his biggest moment in the film involves the killing of one of the major protagonist (something nobody other than Darth Maul has ever managed (Vader and Obi Wan in ANH has too many shades of grey to count), I though that something that involves killing crew members might be appropriate. I also like the idea that his crew card might also do some damage, to simulate his tendency to destroy stuff with his sabre when annoyed.

So, this is what I came up with:

Kylo Ren

Crew.

Imperial Only.

2 points.

When touching a hostile ship, you may discard this card to force your opponent to discard one single <crew> icon crew card from that ship. Then suffer one damage.

Dunno, but I'd love to see a "tantrum" EPT... maybe receive one damage, face up, to remove 1 crew from an enemy ship at range 1

What is it with dreaming up cards that discard crew? It would be absolutely useless against 50% of lists out there (as mentioned by MacchuWA), if not more, which would make it awful in a competitive atmosphere, and in a friendly format, finger pointing would ensue the moment you field it and your buddy has a crew card vital to his list.

Kylo Ren

Crew. First Order Only. (since FO are compatible with Imperials it works to say FO only)

3 Squad Points

At the beginning of the Activation Phase, you may choose one enemy ship at range 1-2. You may look at that ship's assigned dial and rotate it one step. If you do not rotate the dial, instead assign that ship a Stress token.

This seems super duper powerful. Any big ship that gets next to the edge of the board will be in trooooooooouble. I think it would have to cost 6 or more.

Kylo Ren (1)

After performing an attack that deals no damage, roll 1 attack dice. All ships at range 1 suffer any damage {hit} rolled. Then, if at least one ship is damaged this way, discard this card.

I like this

Kylo Ren

Crew.

Imperial Only.

-4 points.

Kylo hates consoles. I feel like they must just have a bunch of fake consoles in the FO ships/bases just for him.

How about combining that theme with a kind of mash up of Daddy and Granddaddy's abilities.

When attacking, if the attack does not hit (Luke) and you have a target lock on the defender, you may spend the target lock (Kylo smashes console) to deal one critical damage to the defender (Vader)

But Han Solo is Kylo's dad....

Kylo Ren

Crew.

Imperial Only.

-4 points.

But Han Solo is Kylo's dad....

that was the first thing i noticed too

i cant get past the rest now.

However....  maybe:

When attacking, during the attacker modify step, you may spend a target lock to cancel dice.  If you cancel 3 "eye" you may deal 1 faceup damage card to the defender

Kylo Ren

Crew. First Order Only. (since FO are compatible with Imperials it works to say FO only)

3 Squad Points

At the beginning of the Activation Phase, you may choose one enemy ship at range 1-2. You may look at that ship's assigned dial and rotate it one step. If you do not rotate the dial, instead assign that ship a Stress token.

this wouldnt work..  if someone dialed a red manuever, you made that illegal.  there would have to be text that the dialed manuever was no longer illegal.

Kylo goes off and breaks stuff when he doesn't get his way. This makes him a detriment on whatever ship he's on. But he's a powerful force user.

Kylo Ren

2 points

1 Crew slot

"When attacking Kylo Ren may turn 1 hit result into 2 hits. If no damage is dealt, suffer one stress instead."

Force Awakens SPOILER ALERT:

Kylo Ren

Crew. Imperial/First Order Only.

Action: Flip this card over to instantly kill any ship with Han Solo as a crew upgrade or named pilot. You cannot earn points for killing that ship in tournament play.

6 squad points.

An upgrade card that is useless against most lists, but would be devastating to any list with Han and it makes sense ... admittedly very little sense, but what's the point of Kylo Ren if he doesn't kill Han?

We're never gonna see this card in the game ... but it's theme.

Kylo Ren:

You may damage any [systems] upgrade card, to cause an enemy to receive one critical hit.

Damaged cards:

A damaged card is unusable until it is fixed. You may spend one action to attempt to fix it.

Action: Roll one attack die: on a [hit] or [critical hit] result, that card is fixed.

3-4 pts.?

Kylo Ren

3 Squad Points

this wouldnt work..  if someone dialed a red manuever, you made that illegal.  there would have to be text that the dialed manuever was no longer illegal.

It would work, it would just be really strong. Assuming you see they have a red maneuver planned already then you can decide not to rotate it and assign the stress. When they reveal you then get to choose any non red maneuver on the dial and laugh. If this were an every round ability then it would definitely have to be knocked up a few points.