Sign in to follow this  
MacchuWA

Kylo Ren crew card - what abilities might he have? TFA Spoilers!

So, Kylo Ren seems an obvious choice for a First Order crew card in the near future, and I was wondering what people think an appropriate ability for him might be?

My thoughts were that it should be something thematic and appropriate to the chatacter. Given that his biggest moment in the film involves the killing of one of the major protagonist (something nobody other than Darth Maul has ever managed (Vader and Obi Wan in ANH has too many shades of grey to count), I though that something that involves killing crew members might be appropriate. I also like the idea that his crew card might also do some damage, to simulate his tendency to destroy stuff with his sabre when annoyed.

So, this is what I came up with:

Kylo Ren

Crew.

Imperial Only.

2 points.

When touching a hostile ship, you may discard this card to force your opponent to discard one single <crew> icon crew card from that ship. Then suffer one damage.

The idea is that it's a gamble. There are plenty of lists you'll face where this Kylo would be useless, but against other ships, where he might be able to be used to kill a 5 point Gunner, or a Vader, or a C3PO, he'd be a bargain, sarificing two points to wreck your opponents strategy or synergy.

That's just one idea though. What else might be good for Ben Solo on the imperial side?

Kylo Ren

Crew.

Imperial Only.

-4 points.

When this ship misses, it is dealt one faceup damage card.

Kylo hates consoles. I feel like they must just have a bunch of fake consoles in the FO ships/bases just for him.

How about combining that theme with a kind of mash up of Daddy and Granddaddy's abilities.

When attacking, if the attack does not hit (Luke) and you have a target lock on the defender, you may spend the target lock (Kylo smashes console) to deal one critical damage to the defender (Vader)

I have Captain Phasma crew card idea:
-5 points, crew. At the start of the first turn remove all shield tokens from your ship.

With any ability on his card Kylo Ren must receive a stress token after activation. Even better - two stress tokens.

Edited by bernh

He suits crew-Vader's ability better than crew-Vader himself.

Perhaps another ability in a similar vein? Or a cheaper/better self-damaging Gunner? Actually, that'd be pretty neat. Helps deal with hard to hit hostile targets without being routine.

Gunner text, turn one (eye) to a (crit)... And take one damage.

Edited by Reiver

So, in an attempt to be original, I'll try to come up with an actual ability that is thematic and not just complaining about the character.

Kylo Ren

2 points? For every blank side of a die you roll, you may suffer one damage and then change it to any side you wish.

Kylo Ren

3 points 1 crew

During the activation phase, after you move,you may choose an enemy ship at range 1 (maybe1-2) if you do, assign that ship two ion tokens and a weapons disabled token. Then receive one face up damage card.

This features his force freeze ability, but it activates Kylo's rage.

He suits crew-Vader's ability better than crew-Vader himself.

Perhaps another ability in a similar vein? Or a cheaper/better self-damaging Gunner? Actually, that'd be pretty neat. Helps deal with hard to hit hostile targets without being routine.

Gunner text, turn one (eye) to a (crit)... And take one damage.

Just make it the Vader crew card again, so the Imperials can field both Vader and Kylo Ren.

Edited by ralpher

Let's wait a little longer to see how he ends up.

Going on ep 7 these are amusing ideas. But given 4 more years he might be very different.

My ep 7 suggestion, at the end of the combat phase you may deal your ship a face up damage card. If you do, choose one ship with in range 2. It may perform a boost, barrel roll, or slam action.

If you miss at range 1 or 2; take a stress and deal a crit to the enemy.

Or maybe. You must reroll all failed attack and defense rolls. You can never focus. (he is powerful but struggles to focus in the film)