Sign in to follow this  
Stormtrooper721

Spoiler Alert: A re-hashed plot and other problems with TFA

Ngl though, I cringed/laughed when Hux said "We will destroy the government that supports the Resistance... the Republic." It was such a clumsy, exposition-y line, as if Snoke needed to be reminded of what the Republic was. 

Ahahaha

Ahahahaha

"THE MOVIE DIDN'T EXPLAIN ENOUGH!"

"WELL THE MOVIE DIDN'T NEED TO EXPLAIN THIS!"

This fanbase is schizophrenic.

EDIT: Sorry, this is all just so much to try and handle right now that it's become ridiculous and laughable to me.

Edited by Captain Lackwit

I posted this in another forum and I'm far too lazy to write all of this again.. So here you go

So I see a lot of folks complaining because Episode 8 is a "remake" of 4. Which got me thinking that technically 1 was a remake of 4 as well, just no one seemed to notice. So I started to jot down some similarities. Then I noticed a lot of similarities in the second act films. So please discuss, however rudeness will NOT be tolerated. Be tactful, be courteous. We are ALL fans of the films.

Similarities in the Star Wars films-

Approximately 30 year span between all first act films

0 - PM- 32 years later ANH 34 years later TFA

Poor/low class hero leaves a desert planet to go on an adventure

PM- slave Anakin

ANH- farm boy Luke

TFA- scavenger Rey

Some jerk from the heroes current situation keeps them from escaping their current situation to pursue the adventure required.

PM- Watto

ANH- Uncle Owen

TFA- Unkhar

Seemingly helpless heroine shows she can hang with the "boys"

PM- Queen Amidala - when requesting to scout Tatooine/showing herself when negotiating with the Gungans for help, leading the assault on the Palace

ANH- Leia- when escaping the grasp of the stormtrooper raiding party to upload the Death Star plans in R2/standing up to the mind probe/Tarkin/Vader.

TFA- Rey fighting Kylo Ren twice, escaping in the Falcon w Finn

Mentor to hero goes up against a powerful dark side user and dies, fueling the hero to push forward and learn the ways of the force

PM- Qui-Gon Jinn faces Maul

ANH- Obi-wan faces Vader

TFA- Han Solo faces Kylo Ren

A planet is on the verge of being wiped out if the movie ending mission fails-

PM- Naboo -starvation/annihilation from the blockade

ANH- Yavin IV - Death Star super laser

TFA- D'Qar - Starkiller base laser

Seemingly impossible to destroy enemy stronghold is destroyed by flaw in design by top pilot in "good guys" team.

PM- Anakin accidentally crashes his fighter inside the Federation ship, blowing it up from inside

ANH- Luke shoots his proton torpedoes down a small 2 meter wide exhaust port blowing up the first Death Star.

TFA- Poe flies his ship inside a hole created by Solo/Chewbacca's rigged explosion.

If the trend continues- things we can expect in Episode 8.

-Rey will be trained as a Jedi and tested earlier than she would like thus causing a defeat (Luke vs Vader, Anakin vs Dooku, Rey vs Snoke or trained Kylo?)

-Someone's losing a hand (Anakin, Luke, Rey?)

-A love interest will develop (Han and Leia, Anakin and Padme, Rey and Finn?)

-A bounty hunter will appear (Jango, Boba Fett, ???)

-An asteroid chase scene (Han and crew in ESB, Obi-wan/Jango)

-Betrayal - (Count Dooku/Lando)

-A really dire situation/cliff hanger- (Han in carbonite, Luke morally defeated. Count Dooku escapes, Anakin and Obi-wan morally defeated.)

-3PO will be destroyed/busted up (Blown to bits in ESB, loses head in AoTC)

-R2 gets separated from hero but manages to find his way back (Door closes in Cloud City, Gets lost on conveyor belts in droid factory)

-Movies climax happens on a planet who has a orange/red hue- Geonosis/Bespin (Cloud City)

-Dark force user will try to convince light side force user to join them.. (Dooku-Obi-wan, Vader-Luke, technically Kylo already asked Ren.. But he probably will again)

Other than part 1 Mad Max is never the story of mad max - he drifts into the story and becomes a whilewind, then drifts away after. Mad Max is the Deus Ex Machina in part 2, 3 and 4. I never did watch 1 but I know the plot somewhat.

Firstly go watch Mad Max 1 now!

Secondly you're right, people seem to forget that Max isn't really the main guy in his films. He's just the driving force behind the events.

The best film of the year is Mad Max.

You'd have to be completely disconnected from reality to think otherwise. You'd basically be a sub-human, and would do the world a favor by self immolating.

This isn't opinion, it is fact, verified by film scientists.

Star Wars was pretty good too.

agreed, Mad Max Fury Road is better than Star Wars the Force Awakens when competing for movie of the year.

If you dont believe the Martian is the best movie this year, I have no faith in humanity anymore.

LOL Jason Bourne in Robinson Crusoe on Mars. ;)

Ngl though, I cringed/laughed when Hux said "We will destroy the government that supports the Resistance... the Republic." It was such a clumsy, exposition-y line, as if Snoke needed to be reminded of what the Republic was. 

Ahahaha

Ahahahaha

EDIT: Sorry, this is all just so much to try and handle right now that it's become ridiculous and laughable to me.

Don't get me wrong, I generally liked the way the movie conveyed its information to the viewer- that line just rubbed me the wrong way bc the Republic-supporting-the-Resistance was explained not just in the opening title crawl, but also two seconds later in that very scene when Snoke or Hux (don't remember which) says something along the lines of "Without their friends, the Resistance will be vulnerable"

I thought the dialogue was pretty snappy overall, besides a few clunkers (e.g. the that Hux line). I'm thinking also of Leia's "Snoke seduced our son to the dark side" and "There is still light in him." That just struck me as... really unnatural-sounding, coming from Leia? Talking about her son using abstract force terms came off as a little distant, even with how earnestly Carrie Fisher delivers the line. Just changing the wording to something along the lines of "Snoke corrupted our son"  would have alleviated it for me. A petty complaint, to be sure, but it was something that stuck out to me in a weird way. 

Though I couldn't help grinning when Poe said "We have until that sun goes out, but as long as there's light, we have a chance." Because Poe is exactly the kind of adorable jocular dork that would be super-proud of himself for coming up with that turn of phrase.

Plus they had the audacity to call it Star Wars. How unoriginal. There are like 5 other (7 if you count those two abominations) movies with that name. Poser film makers. AND they both had people in them! What's wrong with all of the talented animal actors out there?

(I'm joking for the two of you that won't pick up on the rather heavy amount of sarcasm I'm trying to lay down)

Plus they had the audacity to call it Star Wars. How unoriginal. There are like 5 other (7 if you count those two abominations) movies with that name. Poser film makers. AND they both had people in them! What's wrong with all of the talented animal actors out there?

(I'm joking for the two of you that won't pick up on the rather heavy amount of sarcasm I'm trying to lay down)

Easy with the sarcasm around star wars, we've already had a Star Wars Risk game that wasn't a RISK game (but instead a remake of The Queen's Gambit) so people are staring to get confused around here. ;)

I for one found the movie's lack of muppets disturbing. :)

Also the film makers using a remote controlled toy robot you can just buy at toys'r us smacks of low production values. ;)

Though I couldn't help grinning when Poe said "We have until that sun goes out, but as long as there's light, we have a chance." Because Poe is exactly the kind of adorable jocular dork that would be super-proud of himself for coming up with that turn of phrase.

Yeah I liked that line. It's the kind of half-cheesy dialogue that made the OT great aswell.

The best film of the year is Mad Max.

You'd have to be completely disconnected from reality to think otherwise. You'd basically be a sub-human, and would do the world a favor by self immolating.

This isn't opinion, it is fact, verified by film scientists.

Star Wars was pretty good too.

agreed, Mad Max Fury Road is better than Star Wars the Force Awakens when competing for movie of the year.

If you dont believe the Martian is the best movie this year, I have no faith in humanity anymore.

LOL Jason Bourne in Robinson Crusoe on Mars. ;)

Where was Will Hunting's monkey? He needs monkey!

Ahahaha

Ahahahaha

Don't get me wrong, I generally liked the way the movie conveyed its information to the viewer- that line just rubbed me the wrong way bc the Republic-supporting-the-Resistance was explained not just in the opening title crawl, but also two seconds later in that very scene when Snoke or Hux (don't remember which) says something along the lines of "Without their friends, the Resistance will be vulnerable"

I thought the dialogue was pretty snappy overall, besides a few clunkers (e.g. the that Hux line). I'm thinking also of Leia's "Snoke seduced our son to the dark side" and "There is still light in him." That just struck me as... really unnatural-sounding, coming from Leia? Talking about her son using abstract force terms came off as a little distant, even with how earnestly Carrie Fisher delivers the line. Just changing the wording to something along the lines of "Snoke corrupted our son"  would have alleviated it for me. A petty complaint, to be sure, but it was something that stuck out to me in a weird way. 

There were a lot of points were the exposition seemed really heavy handed (your father... HAN SOLO). Removing/reowrding them would have greatly helped the film for me. 

Most serious contenders for best film of the year are probably Son of Saul and Birdman.

Pfff oscar-bait that never once stimulated my sense of disbelief. :D

Which still means they'll get more awards than any other movies we've mentioned in this thread. 

There's a mad man

with a small heavily armed army of dude-bros

with an accent

and its christmas for some reason.

but our hero gets help from some unlikely partner

pushed to limits in every way

barefooted walking through glass

mention of wife who hates him

"yip-e-kai-yea motherf%$#r"

I've found that I generally agree with the posters I used to agree with on various new forms of Star Wars and I mostly disagree with those I previously disagreed with on new Star Wars stuff.

For me, I very much enjoyed the new movie. Starkiller base is the only thing I would personally remove, it's just unnecessary, but it wasn't the focus and didn't really detract from the movie.

I'm very happy that, to me, the joy of watching and wanting more Star Wars has returned and I feel bad for those that don't get that out of it.

I do draw the line at TFA "killing Star Wars" though. This can't be possible in a world where Attack of the Clones exists.