Sign in to follow this  
Stormtrooper721

Spoiler Alert: A re-hashed plot and other problems with TFA

Lawrence Kasdan got top billing for writing credits. That's important. The writing team on TFA was Kasdan, Abrams, and Michael Arndt. One of the Executive Producers is the guy who's pretty much in charge of Star Wars: Rebels.

Kasdan was part of the writing team that brought us Empire, Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark, among lots of other great films. I'm going to defer to his experience and suggest he's probably privy to the overall story arc, and how all of this fits together, than some snooty fanboy rant. It seems that all the fanboys love blaming Abrams for "ruining" everything, but just because something is done in a way you don't like doesn't mean it's been ruined.

Yeah, the reuse of major plot elements was the one thing that really brought the movie down for me , but I'd still rate it 8/10 or 4 of 5 stars. It doesn't spoil the immersion or the fun.

I think if they'd just have dropped the superweapon trope (if Starkiller Base was just that -- a major base -- the movie still works), even with the other derivative elements, it would have strengthened the movie quite a bit. Just because I loved it, doesn't mean that I don't recognize it could be improved.

The similarities are a problem but they tell a different story.

These are off the mark.

Other problems with TFA...

- Rey, a scavenger, can pilot the Falcon, a ship she considers junk and has never been in.

- the Falcon starts after sitting as junk for years in a scrap heap.

- Finn, a sanitation Stormtrooper who cannot bring himself to kill, mows down his own fellow Stormtroopers without a problem.

- untrained Rey can do Jedi mind tricks and defeat a Sith lord in a lightsaber battle.

- Falcon crashlands on Starkiller planet within walking distance of where they need to be.

- Rey is being held prisoner right next to the shield generators that need to be knocked out.

Rey has been crawling in spaceships for who knows how long, obviously an expert on them and flys her own hover craft.

The falcon was a prize piece, maintained poorly it was barely able to fly. The falcon's biggest character trait is it flys even in poor condition.

Finn refused to mow down innocent civilians, they did not.

Rey uses Jedi powers in the first scene she is in. She has obviously been using the force and did not know it. Her strength increased as she was forced to use her powers, she learned Jedi mind tricks from Kylo Ren but is probably way stronger than hi and more in tune with the forced. She defeated an injured student, not Sith Lord, he could barely keep it together.

Rey is being held prisoner in a central hub so people don't need to fly across the planet to ask her questions. Things are very big in Starwars.

Edited by GeneticDrift

Into darkness was a bad movie but it pretty much just rehashed wrath of Khan.

In your opinion. In my opinion Into darkness is a good movie that is a rehash of Wrath of Khan. But then it's telling the same (similar) story in an altered timeline. Why wouldn't it be a rehash of WoK? JJ did an excellent job with it.

The force wakes up is on okay film that rehashed a new hope.

After the prequels SWs needed a reboot. I would say TFA is a very good movie, not great, that does an excellent job of getting SW back on track.

JJ can't do great he doesn't have it in him we are lucky tfa was as good as it was, he's never going to be on par with Spielberg or Cameron.

He's more on par with bay.

Why do I get the feeling that TFA could be the exact movie it is, but have been directed by Spielberg and you would think it's great?

TFA and JJ didn't have to be great, they just had to be good and better than the prequels, which happened.

I doubt JJ will ever be as good as Spielberg, but it would be a pretty amazing accomplishment if he managed it. TFA is on pace to break Avatars box office record last I heard, maybe JJ is already better than Cameron?

It didn't 'Kill' Star Wars. It was actually pretty good. I just don't like how everyone's losing their **** going 'It's better than ANH! It's second behind Empire!' I feel like I'm biased against the movie because I don't think it was as good as any of the OT, but everyone seems to think it is.

The main thing that bugged me was the pacing. It flies along at an absolutely breakneck pace right up until the end. That sound positive, and I guess it's better than trade negotiations, but what I loved about ANH so much is how the pace starts off really slow. We get a quick action scene at the start, and then we spend most of the next hour with Luke and Obi-Wan, learning about the force, Luke's dissatisfaction with life, his hopes and dreams.

In TFA we're off Jakku within half an hour or so, then we're immediately on Han's ship, to Mos Eisley 2.0, then to the Resistance base, then we blow up Starkiller, then the end.

However, It's not the 70's anymore, and movies aren't like that anymore. It was good for what is was: a Star Wars film post-prequels. And in the end, that's all that matters.

The actors and actresses did a fine job. And the film was never boring.

If you don't understand why something happened , that doesn't make it a "plot hole!"

I can go on but this movie sucks so bad just thinking about it makes me want to puke.

Thanks to Disney and JJ Abrams for killing Star Wars for me.

21b.jpg

I guess there weren't enough break-dancing Zabraks and CGI backgrounds to appease some people!

I really think Rey shold have done more twirls and backflips and fallen in forbidden love, eventually paying the consequence by making Finn fall to the dark side! BB-8 should have had a 20 minute solo adventure where he has to steal the data back from some cgi rats that stole it and jumped on a cargo truck. He'd have to get on a speeder bike and chase them through a crowded market with 30 different aliens on the screen at all time with big pooping beasts of burden and gungans slipping in dookie.

They really needed George Lucas on set to consult. Abrams is a HACK!

Edited by Vulf

The actors and actresses did a fine job. And the film was never boring.

If you don't understand why something happened , that doesn't make it a "plot hole!"

I can go on but this movie sucks so bad just thinking about it makes me want to puke.

Thanks to Disney and JJ Abrams for killing Star Wars for me.

21b.jpg

I guess there weren't enough break-dancing Zabraks and CGI backgrounds to appease some people!

I really think Rey shold have done more twirls and backflips and fallen in forbidden love, eventually paying the consequence by making Finn fall to the dark side! BB-8 should have had a 20 minute solo adventure where he has to steal the data back from some cgi rats that stole it and jumped on a cargo truck. He'd have to get on a speeder bike and chase them through a crowded market with 30 different aliens on the screen at all time with big pooping beasts of burden and gungans slipping in dookie.

They really needed George Lucas on set to consult. Abrams is a HACK!

The sarcasm is strong in this one, let the sarcasm flow through you.

I liked the move. Would have preferred a less recycled plot, but I suspect over the next two movies is where the plot will diverge. So I'll save my final judgement of this film until then.

Also I'd like to point out that Rey being very powerful without training may seem stupid at first, however as the secret bad guy said; there has been an awakening in the force. We don't really know what that means yet, but no doubt will become more apparent in the next movie. For all we know this 'awakening' is an unprecedented event/occurrence which may be specific to Rey, or force sensitive people in general, affecting them in ways not seen in a millennia.

The thing that I was most dissapointed about was the large number of coincidences. But I suppose this is just the workings of the force.

In your opinion. In my opinion Into darkness is a good movie that is a rehash of Wrath of Khan. But then it's telling the same (similar) story in an altered timeline. Why wouldn't it be a rehash of WoK? JJ did an excellent job with it.

After the prequels SWs needed a reboot. I would say TFA is a very good movie, not great, that does an excellent job of getting SW back on track.

JJ can't do great he doesn't have it in him we are lucky tfa was as good as it was, he's never going to be on par with Spielberg or Cameron.

Why do I get the feeling that TFA could be the exact movie it is, but have been directed by Spielberg and you would think it's great?

TFA and JJ didn't have to be great, they just had to be good and better than the prequels, which happened.

I doubt JJ will ever be as good as Spielberg, but it would be a pretty amazing accomplishment if he managed it. TFA is on pace to break Avatars box office record last I heard, maybe JJ is already better than Cameron?

Money made means Jack squat the transformer films make money I don't know a single person that thinks they are good.

The phantom menace made bank doesn't make it a good movie.

too have so many issues (complaints) about this great movie, the OP must have some kind of advanced education in cinema magic. Did u go into the movie with a chip on your shoulder? Lighten up nerd.

-Rey's one comfort in life is a pilot simulator she found and restored. Whenever she isn't out scavenging she's on that thing.

-Rey has poked around in all the ships parked at the outpost, no one ever stops her because they know she isn't looking to leave the planet. Hence why she knows about the modifications Plutt installed

-And cleary the Falcon is maintained as it's current most recent owner had installed things on it, the fact that it hasn't flown in awhile is evident by the fact that the second it breaks orbit **** breaks.

-Finn isn't just a janitor, if he was why would he somehow gain a posting on a new model Star Destroyer and be used on a strike force for an important mission. The Visual Dictionary, Before the Awakening, and novelization all make it very clear that though Finn has only recent completed his training, he was top of his class. He just you know isn't as brainwashed as they would have preferred. I mean Marines get assigned latrine duty rotations as apart of training.

I could do this for all these "holes", but I think it is pretty apparent the OP didn't put much thought on the subject. Movies can't cover every question that may need asking.

Money made means Jack squat the transformer films make money I don't know a single person that thinks they are good.

The phantom menace made bank doesn't make it a good movie.

That, is exactly my point about James Cameron. He is not in Spielberg's class either. What he and JJ have in common though, is making good movies people want to go see.

You don't have to like TFA, which is probably a good thing all things considered. Feel free to make your "feelings" about the movie known in these threads, which you obviously don't need me to tell you. But, please remember, they are your opinions and not shared by everyone.

You also don't have to like JJ, which is also probably a good thing all things considered. Just because you don't like his movies doesn't mean they're bad movies. It just means you don't like them. You don't mind if some of us do, I hope?

P.S. I liked the first Transformers movie, rest of them sucked, in my opinion of course.

Edited by Starbane