Sign in to follow this  
Weirdo

So I'm an X-Wing player now...what should I get?

To match the three your wife gave you, for the rebels, just add the rebel aces expansion (or get an A-wing and B-wing separately) and a K-wing. This should, along with the core set, cover most of the different rules for flying small-based ships. You will have tons of enjoyment just playing with these

I think I'll go with this idea, thanks! (It helps that I've wanted a K-Wing model since I first saw one on the shelf.)

To match the three your wife gave you, for the rebels, just add the rebel aces expansion (or get an A-wing and B-wing separately) and a K-wing. This should, along with the core set, cover most of the different rules for flying small-based ships. You will have tons of enjoyment just playing with these

I think I'll go with this idea, thanks! (It helps that I've wanted a K-Wing model since I first saw one on the shelf.)

This is a great idea.  The only thing I would add is that if you start collecting, getting one of everything (as opposed to multiples of the same ship/set up front) will net you with multiple types of ships and give you a lot of variety for whichever faction you are playing (both in ships and in upgrades).  Just start with your favorites and expand out.

Welcome to X-Wing!

Guest *striker8

Buy ships you like from the movies, games, etc.

Competitive play is all very well but most likely the vast majority of your games, especially for the next year or so will be casual. Playing stuff you like is as important as playing stuff at the top of the mountain, if not more so.

^^^^^^^^^ This one hundered thousand times over!  It's easier to enjoy playing with the ships you find appealing win or lose,  than to play with stuff you find unappealing and not really enjoy playing because of it.

After your core set, you should be good with Rebel Aces and either a K-Wing or Y-Wing (if not both). You'll eventually want a Falcon (it's not just iconic; you'll want the Engine Upgrade and the Fat Han build is one you'll want to practice against) and Imperial Aces, not just for upgrades, but for diversity of pilots and extra sweet TIE Interceptors. Get a vanilla TIE Fighter for Howlrunner and for a 12-point ship option.

You can skip the stand-alone TIE Advanced, A-Wing, and T-65 X-Wing. And skip Scum until you're ready for the financial commitment; Scum & Villainy aces is only helpful once yo get the Y-Wing and Z-95 as Rebels.

I would love if you guys could give me some help.

I'm looking to get into the hobby and I love the idea of a TIE swarm but think it could be hard to fly.

I have two blue core packs waiting to be shipped, do I cancel them for an old and new core pack or do I just get a new core pack + MF?

I'll be happy with all of these choice but settling on the choice is what I'm having trouble with.

.. Eventually I'll want to go Imperial as well if that helps!

Buy whatever you like, it's your game. Only thing i would suggest is make sure you buy an a wing from rebel aces (they get chardaan refit in there, an upgrade that makes it cost less points) or a Z95 expansion, and a normal tie fighter expansion pack.

I recall from when i started, when i didn't have that much stuff to make lists, I always had points left over that didn't fit any ship i had. (i started with some of the 'better' ships, so harder to fit in when you have 15 points left over)

Having a low cost 'filler' for each side comes in handy then!

My advice, and I can't believe nobody has said #2 yet:

1. Buy a core set.

2. Buy another core set. The core sets give you the most ships for your buck, as well as an extra set of maneuver templates and dice and etc. You WILL want two set of all the templates to have one for each player, it's so much more convenient. And 3 red and 3 green dice just isn't enough. Fortunately, there are two core sets (one for the original trilogy and a new one for Force Awakens) available, so you can pick up one of each and get different ships/upgrades. Or if one core set appeals to you more than the other, there is nothing wrong with picking up two copies of that one.

3. Buy what you like. You will get much more fun and enjoyment out of the game by flying your favorite ships than you will by flying Competive Netlist #438.

Also it's worth mentioning that the expansions that come with the same ships as the Core sets (such as the X-wing expansion, or imperial/rebel aces expansions for the Interceptors or A/B-wings, respectively) ARE worth picking up. They come with different upgrades and pilots and the Aces expansions really help shore up their ships' weak points.

Welcome and have fun!

The Rebels Aces set is probably a must for any Rebel fleet to start with. It's good value for money, with two good ships. You'll get an A-wing and a B-wing and some useful upgrades.

The A-wing is an agile and fast little ship that can get around the table and it's boost action is really handy. One of the A-wing pilots (Jake Farrell) in that set is excellent for dodging around as he can boost or barrel roll after taking a focus action, which makes him really slippery.

The B-wing is quite a solid "tank" in this game and can take a fair bit of pounding. It can also dish it out, given the right weaponry. You'll also get a couple of upgrades that allow a crew member, and the the two crew cards that you get (Kyle Katarn & Jan Ors) can be quite handy. Keyn Farlander can be a lot of fun to play also, as his ability allows a stress token to be used as an offensive focus token. Which is very handy.

An X-wing expansion will give you two different pilots that don't come with the core set, so that's always a good thing. The same goes for another TIE Fighter expansion (for later on).

The availability of some expansions can be problematic sometimes, so it's best to grab whatever is available when it's available, because reprints seem to take quite a long time between runs. There was quite a spell when the Millennium Falcon wasn't available for a while.

My advice, and I can't believe nobody has said #2 yet:

1. Buy a core set.

2. Buy another core set. The core sets give you the most ships for your buck, as well as an extra set of maneuver templates and dice and etc. You WILL want two set of all the templates to have one for each player, it's so much more convenient. And 3 red and 3 green dice just isn't enough. Fortunately, there are two core sets (one for the original trilogy and a new one for Force Awakens) available, so you can pick up one of each and get different ships/upgrades. Or if one core set appeals to you more than the other, there is nothing wrong with picking up two copies of that one.

Actually sound advice, i ended up with two copies anyway. It's one of those sets you can easily find discounted too.

3. Buy what you like. You will get much more fun and enjoyment out of the game by flying your favorite ships than you will by flying Competive Netlist #438.

THIS!

I decided when i got in on x wing (right at the start) that i only wanted to fly ships from the original trilogy (and dark forces for the hwk, loved that game when i was still in school). 

I still only have A B X and Y wings, a falcon and a hwk for the rebels, and tie fighters bombers and interceptors with vader's advanced tie (just the one, specially for vader ;) ), slave 1 and a shuttle.

It can make some good lists if you tinker with them. Not uber competitive, but fun to fly, and that's what matters!

I need to keep this somewhere to I can just copy & paste it...

For a budget start, get the original core set, the Falcon, and an extra X-Wing expansion. Build "Han Shoots First":

Han Solo (46)

+ Luke Skywalker (7)

+ Chewbacca (4)

+ Millenium Falcon (1)

2x Rookie Pilot (21)

Classic ships with iconic characters and reasonably competitive to boot!

Focus on rebls who have resources you need. Push the limit In the Awing pack goes wonderfuly with intercepters, and until the new titles hit the best defender builds use Heavy Lasers, out of the yt2400 kit.

Push the Limit is in the Imperial Aces too!

Both packs are worth picking up.

I'd get the classic rebels: Rebel aces gives you an A-Wing and B-Wing, Most Wanted gives you Z-95s and a Y-Wing. Don't worry about cards when just starting out. Use a squadron builder or print proxies off the Wiki for now. When you buy stuff buy for the SHIP first, cards later. If you want to play in tournaments, make friends who u can trade with for the duration of the event, or buy singles off e-bay and other online sellers.

Most low point ships come in multiple packages, keep track of where these extra ships come from:

TIE Fighters [Expansion: (1); Core Set: (2); Imperial Assault Carrier (2)]

TIE/fo Fighters [Expansion: (1); Core Set: (2)]

TIE Interceptor [Expansion: (1); Imperial Aces: (2)]

TIE Advanced [Expansion: (1); Imperial Raider (1)]

TIE Bomber [Expansion: (1); Imperial Veterans (1)] (coming soon)

TIE Defender [Expansion: (1); Imperial Veterans (1)] (coming soon)

A-Wing [Expansion: (1); Rebel Aces (1)]

B-Wing [Expansion: (1); Rebel Aces (1)]

T-70 X-Wing [Expansion: (1); Core Set (1)]

X-Wing [Expansion: (1); Rebel Transport (1); Core Set (1)]

A-Wing [Expansion: (1); Most Wanted (1)]

Z-95s [Expansion: (1); Most Wanted (2)]

Edited by Hantheman

I've decided to go with two FA core packs and the Imperial Ace pack.

I'm going to swap my spare droids for my friends core set R2D2 and R2F2.

With this in mind what else should I get? I can't really afford a big ship at the moment and my friends are open to proxy cards.