Sign in to follow this  
Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

The Ressurgent Class Star Destroyer

The Force Awakens  has given us a new class of capital ship for Armada.

We now have canonical information of The Finalizer, the first of the new Resurgent Class of warships constructed by The First Order which are in clear and open violation of treaties with the New Republic.

The length of the Finalizer Resurgent Class Star Destroyer has been confirmed at 2,915.81 meters, or nearly two miles.

That's nearly twice the length of an Imperial Class at 1,610 meters (one mile).

The Resurgent Class heavy weapons are augmented by two complete TIE wings, a hundred assault and landing craft and a full legion of Stormtroopers.  Furthermore the Resurgent Class turbolasers are more powerful and faster to recharge than their Imperial era counterparts, a product of augmentation by Kyber crystals harvested in the Unknown Regions.

Kyber crystals are the same rare mineral that powers lightsabers.

For those of you keen eyed, there are four other destroyers very briefly seen orbiting Starkiller Base, although their class was not given.

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

All this talk of kyber crystals is interesting to me.

So... the First Order's turbolasers are like... lightsaber blasters? I'm not quite grasping how they integrated them into the SD.

it's also the same crystals used inside the death stars, so they are ... like lasers.... using crystals.... to store amplify and release energy in the form of a laser beam or bolt...

yeah...  they are basically lasers... sooooooo..... ok. ( maybe they require less power to charge I guess?

Edited by Geressen

So... the First Order's turbolasers are like... lightsaber blasters? I'm not quite grasping how they integrated them into the SD.

it's also the same crystals used inside the death stars, so they are ... like lasers.... using crystals.... to store amplify and release energy in the form of a laser beam or bolt...

yeah...  they are basically lasers... sooooooo..... ok. ( maybe they require less power to charge I guess?

But... I mean like... ya know... basically like... totally even...

Okay I guess that was a basic Star Wars tech failure on my part, I'm just confused as to how significant the kyber crystals are to the function of the weapons. If they grant such a boost, why weren't they a standard element of construction before?

I guess scarcity...

The Cross Sections book says something about how, with less overhead than the Galactic Empire and fewer ships to outfit, many technological advances that would otherwise have been bogged down in Imperial bureaucracy were fast-tracked into First Order war machines, so I guess that makes sense.

ie, now we can have all the digital displays and equipment that modern science fiction uses nowadays but wasn't available in the original trilogy :P

Speaking for Armada, where would the Resurgent fit? Would it have to be a new size class, or would it be a simply slightly bigger miniature on a large base model? Also, how would it stat? The overlap with the Imperial is going to be tricky. Making it a carrier is going to intrude on the ISD-I's design space.

ie, now we can have all the digital displays and equipment that modern science fiction uses nowadays but wasn't available in the original trilogy :P

Speaking for Armada, where would the Resurgent fit? Would it have to be a new size class, or would it be a simply slightly bigger miniature on a large base model? Also, how would it stat? The overlap with the Imperial is going to be tricky. Making it a carrier is going to intrude on the ISD-I's design space.

The size actually seems well suited to an "Epic scale" analog to the X-Wing Epic ships.

At twice the size of an ISD, it'd be VERY large but still nowhere near the scale of the absurd SSD.

But... I mean like... ya know... basically like... totally even...

Okay I guess that was a basic Star Wars tech failure on my part, I'm just confused as to how significant the kyber crystals are to the function of the weapons. If they grant such a boost, why weren't they a standard element of construction before?

I guess scarcity...

The Cross Sections book says something about how, with less overhead than the Galactic Empire and fewer ships to outfit, many technological advances that would otherwise have been bogged down in Imperial bureaucracy were fast-tracked into First Order war machines, so I guess that makes sense.

Yeah, scarcity. There was some challenge associated with synthesizing artificial ones, and natural ones were pretty scarce.

But... that's like saying Z-95s can become X-Wings with a title card. There are just too many differences between the ISD and the RSD for a simple title card to change things.

The size actually seems well suited to an "Epic scale" analog to the X-Wing Epic ships.

At twice the size of an ISD, it'd be VERY large but still nowhere near the scale of the absurd SSD.

Dunno, if CR-90s are half the size of Nebulon-Bs but both of them are on small bases, I can see the RSD on a large base as well. It's just that the Resurgent doesn't seem as a big of a jump between size classes like VSDs are to ISDs, or corvettes to VSDs.

It all just sounds like upgrade cards to me while the ship just seemed like a very standard SD in the movie.

The cross section book shows that the whole lower "underbite" section is a massive front-mounted flight deck, and there are three separate TIE fighter hangars. It just screams fleet carrier.

Just spitballing.

Edited by Tvayumat

I think the new SD would also be a large based ship.  Make it an inch or 2 longer than the ISD and i'd be fine with that.

You are getting towards the point where 50% of your points are invested in a single ship at 400 points though, and that is going to make the game either impossible to win/lose for the imperial player, depending on how they balance the ship.

Did you ever play an eldar player who took 3x3 jetbikes, a farseer and a revenant titan in 1,500 points of 40k?  That's why I quit playing 40k, and I hope that any ships later than an ISD are 'epic play' only.

It all just sounds like upgrade cards to me while the ship just seemed like a very standard SD in the movie.

The cross section book shows that the whole lower "underbite" section is a massive front-mounted flight deck, and there are three separate TIE fighter hangars. It just screams fleet carrier.

Just spitballing.

Sounds like 3~4 Squadron points, just like the other iconic SDs. Other than a new model, I'd like something unique about it. I did mention in other threads that FFG could just make an new type of upgrade that gives you more TIE squadrons as a way to go around the 1/3rd limit.

So kyber crystals could be an upgrade card:

You may perform a second attack at the same target from the same arc using only the red dice.

Would need special slot or something to stop home 1 / AF2 Ackbar madness.

And one thin they can do to make ships play differently is give double upgrades. Imagine HEavy turbos and the shield blocking turbos on the same ship? Block BOTH brace and redirect?!?

So kyber crystals could be an upgrade card:

You may perform a second attack at the same target from the same arc using only the red dice.

Would need special slot or something to stop home 1 / AF2 Ackbar madness.

And one thin they can do to make ships play differently is give double upgrades. Imagine HEavy turbos and the shield blocking turbos on the same ship? Block BOTH brace and redirect?!?

MC-80s anyone?

I think the new SD would also be a large based ship. Make it an inch or 2 longer than the ISD and i'd be fine with that.

You are getting towards the point where 50% of your points are invested in a single ship at 400 points though, and that is going to make the game either impossible to win/lose for the imperial player, depending on how they balance the ship.

Did you ever play an eldar player who took 3x3 jetbikes, a farseer and a revenant titan in 1,500 points of 40k? That's why I quit playing 40k, and I hope that any ships later than an ISD are 'epic play' only.

To be fair though, ffg isn't anywhere near as incompetent as GW. I'm sure they wont design the unit to carry 400 point games by itself. Edited by HERO