Sign in to follow this  
Agemman

Omega Squadron Swarm

5x Omega Squadron Pilot (17)
Crack Shot (1)
Weapons Guidance (2)

100 pts

Can this list work?

It could, but I don't think it offers a lot over Howlrunner and four Black Squadron Pilots. That leaves six points for upgrades after you give all five of them Crack Shot. Weapons Guidance is decent insurance, but for 10 points I think you'd be farther ahead upgrading someone to a named pilot. The TIE/FO is good but in this instance I think you want to stick with the classic. 

Crack Shot (1)
Weapons Guidance (2)

100 pts

Can this list work?

It could, but I don't think it offers a lot over Howlrunner and four Black Squadron Pilots. That leaves six points for upgrades after you give all five of them Crack Shot. Weapons Guidance is decent insurance, but for 10 points I think you'd be farther ahead upgrading someone to a named pilot. The TIE/FO is good but in this instance I think you want to stick with the classic. 

respectfully disagree. F/O's survivability is phenominally better than a standard TIE.

I would however pose an alternative cracked list:

zeta leader+coms+Juke+twin mark

Zeta ace+crack

3Xomega+crack

Crack Shot (1)

Weapons Guidance (2)

100 pts

Can this list work?

Five ships is not a swarm.

*rips list idea in half*

*smacks OP*

3x Black Squadron, 3x Omega Squadron, 6x Crackshot. Only way to fly. For 120 point games I'd consider 6 weapons guidance Crackshot Omegas.

Crack Shot (1)

Weapons Guidance (2)

100 pts

Can this list work?

*rips list idea in half*

*smacks OP*

3x Black Squadron, 3x Omega Squadron, 6x Crackshot. Only way to fly. For 120 point games I'd consider 6 weapons guidance Crackshot Omegas.

I'm used to play rebels so every list with 5 or more ship is a swarm to me and i wanted to try something different from the 6x Crackshot that seems so popular.

5x Omega Squadron Pilot (17)Crack Shot (1)Weapons Guidance (2)

100 pts

Can this list work?

*rips list idea in half*

*smacks OP*

I'm used to play rebels so every list with 5 or more ship is a swarm to me and i wanted to try something different from the 6x Crackshot that seems so popular.
I don't think it's actually all that popular, I just mention my 6x Crackshot list at every opportunity.

Pretty sure it's just me and the guy that ran 5x Crack Squadron, Obsidian, Academy at Worlds that run 5-6 Crackshots, lol.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Personally, I'm not a fan of tight formations with the TIE/fo - they are great at doing more complex movement - let them.

6 vs 5 means you lose Crack Shot, or you are dropping down to PS1, or are mixing with non TIE/fo

5 ships is a good number to shoot for with a crack-shot TIE/fo swarm.

So the real question is, what ships, and what beyond Crack Shot?

Some options...

• Add a Ship that Boosts the Swarm
    • (18) Howlrunner is really nice, but limits the freedom of movement of the swarm - and again, the TIE/fo is great at doing close-range, but non-unison movement (like a swarm of gnats - not a school of fish)
    • (17-18) Youngster is a pretty cool option - he could add Marksmanship or Expert Handling to all of your swarm - do you value shaking the TLs? its only the cost of swapping a TIE/fo for a TIE and dropping a Crack Shot
  • Add a Ship that deals with Problem Enemies
    • (26) Omega Leader with Comms and Juke is a pretty awesome use of 26 points. And anyone that gets TL'd by Omega Leader is going to have serious trouble
    • (28-31) The Inquisitor with Title and Autothrusters is another option. The increased survive-ability can really help, especially if the enemy goes after him instead of the swarm. Add Predator to make him even more nasty.
    • (14) Wampa - can punch through all sorts of defensive problems. A Cheap option as well.

Some possible Configurations..

• 97-98 Points
    • 3x Omega Squadron Pilot + Crackshot
    • Omega Leader + Comms, Juke
    • Youngster + Expert Handling or Marksmanship
  • 98 Points
    • 4x Omega Squadron Pilot + Crackshot
    99 Points
    • The Inquisitor + Title, Autothrusters. Predator
    • Wampa
  • 100 Points
    • The Inquisitor + Title, Autothrusters

The thing about when I fly 3x BS, 3x OS, 6x Crackshot is that I don't fly them in a tight formation. I start them out in one and then turn 1 they all do assorted straight manuevers and barrel rolls and spread out.

Howlrunner just dies ASAP and provides less benefit than an FO that just ends up lasting longer. Same with Mauler. You also want all PS 4 so that they can move in any order.

You also want 6 ships with Crackshot. That one extra gun with one extra Crackshot could mean the difference between wiping 2 Tempest Squadron TIE Advances in a single volley or only killing one. Remember, 2 attack dice ships are obsolete unless they have either Accuracy Corrector or Crackshot, or Juke apparently.

Youngster is a possibility but probably suffers from the same problem that Mauler or Howl in my list does.

Crack Shot (1)
Weapons Guidance (2)

100 pts

Can this list work?

respectfully disagree. F/O's survivability is phenominally better than a standard TIE.

I would however pose an alternative cracked list:

zeta leader+coms+Juke+twin mark

Zeta ace+crack

3Xomega+crack

Personally, I'm not a fan of tight formations with the TIE/fo - they are great at doing more complex movement - let them.

6 vs 5 means you lose Crack Shot, or you are dropping down to PS1, or are mixing with non TIE/fo

5 ships is a good number to shoot for with a crack-shot TIE/fo swarm.

So the real question is, what ships, and what beyond Crack Shot?

Some options...

• Add a Ship that Boosts the Swarm
    • (18) Howlrunner is really nice, but limits the freedom of movement of the swarm - and again, the TIE/fo is great at doing close-range, but non-unison movement (like a swarm of gnats - not a school of fish)
    • (17-18) Youngster is a pretty cool option - he could add Marksmanship or Expert Handling to all of your swarm - do you value shaking the TLs? its only the cost of swapping a TIE/fo for a TIE and dropping a Crack Shot
  • Add a Ship that deals with Problem Enemies
    • (26) Omega Leader with Comms and Juke is a pretty awesome use of 26 points. And anyone that gets TL'd by Omega Leader is going to have serious trouble
    • (28-31) The Inquisitor with Title and Autothrusters is another option. The increased survive-ability can really help, especially if the enemy goes after him instead of the swarm. Add Predator to make him even more nasty.
    • (14) Wampa - can punch through all sorts of defensive problems. A Cheap option as well.

Some possible Configurations..

• 97-98 Points
    • Youngster + Expert Handling or Marksmanship
  • 98 Points
    99 Points
    • The Inquisitor + Title, Autothrusters. Predator
    • Wampa
  • 100 Points
    • The Inquisitor + Title, Autothrusters

Another option to boost the swarm would be...

• Carnor Jax + Autothrusters

Jax's ability can do wonders for letting the squad wreck-face

That's a lot of good ideas, i'm gonna try some of them, thanks guys.