Sign in to follow this  
rgrove0172

Planetary Database

Do you use a form of some sort to log planetary data or do you just keep notes? I'm thinking of whipping up a sort of Imperial Galactic Registry form that includes all the general info about a world, a picture if I can google one and a basic world map to locate cities, starports, main features etc. Tuck them all in a binder or just keep an electronic file of them handy and expand them to include the locations already detailed in the published stuff. Good idea or just more work when a few notes does the trick.

While Im at it, do any of you actually locate settings on a world map of some sort? Do you care where one city is in relation to another or where the mountains are in relation to the coast during an adventure? Or is this strictly a scenario driven idea?

Since I've been playing Traveller for a long time, for my planetary systems I go with a variation on its Universal World Profiles. For each planet I jot down info on its starport type, world size, hydrographics, atmosphere, population, law level and tech level. I've considered doing icosahedral projection maps for the main planets, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

That being said, I'm a cartographer in real life, and I majored in geography in college, so knowing these things interest me, and help me build a better game.

It really depends on the game. If the players don't go to a given world often, then the amount of detail tends to be pretty low. Similar to the readouts that WEG used way back in the day. Else, the amount of detail rises the more they spend time there. It's really hard to flesh out lots of planets just as it is fleshing out cities in our world. In a setting with 12,000+ senators representing hundreds of thousands, if not millions of worlds with quadrillions of beings... and that doesn't even cover the whole galaxy.

Since I've been playing Traveller for a long time, for my planetary systems I go with a variation on its Universal World Profiles. For each planet I jot down info on its starport type, world size, hydrographics, atmosphere, population, law level and tech level. I've considered doing icosahedral projection maps for the main planets, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

That being said, I'm a cartographer in real life, and I majored in geography in college, so knowing these things interest me, and help me build a better game.

Do you use a form of some sort to log planetary data or do you just keep notes? I'm thinking of whipping up a sort of Imperial Galactic Registry form that includes all the general info about a world, a picture if I can google one and a basic world map to locate cities, starports, main features etc. Tuck them all in a binder or just keep an electronic file of them handy and expand them to include the locations already detailed in the published stuff. Good idea or just more work when a few notes does the trick.

While Im at it, do any of you actually locate settings on a world map of some sort? Do you care where one city is in relation to another or where the mountains are in relation to the coast during an adventure? Or is this strictly a scenario driven idea?

I would include grid coordinates for the system. These are in the Atlas and at the back of the book you can find a list.

I would include grid coordinates for the system. These are in the Atlas and at the back of the book you can find a list.

And that list has recently been updated by the authors, and released as a PDF. Something like 122 pages of planet names, what system they’re in, what sector that is, and what the coordinates are.

There’s another post somewhere on the forums with a link to the article at starwars.com which highlights this updated information.

In WEG there was some "planet sheet" to record ideas and information about the planet

there was also some tables to quickly generate a random world

however, i sketched out and random generated unimportant world, while i write down and carefully create more important ones:

for a campaign, i created a small sector, around 2 big planet on the perlemian route (each one with handwritten information on 3 or 4 A5-size notebook), a couple of most important (one full A5 page) and a dozen of small and less important planets (each one on half a page).

Then i created a new humanoid race, two Imperial Captains commanding one small sector fleet around imperial planet-facilities, a couple of mob-lords etc.

I planned on putting the player around this sector, so i figured out a lot of important thing, like political attrition between the captains, contraband route and black marketplace, etc

Most of time i just figure out how the planet looks, mainly for my adventure/campaign needs, and go over

i used an old folded map i found on a star wars encyclopedia they published on weekly basis something like 10-15 years ago.

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/06/Starwars.com_Atlas_appendix_June_15.pdf

Here it is

Here is the website with stuff like sector maps etc.

OOoooooohhhhh coooooool

and that's all from canon materials, right?

and where the coordinates points out? i mean: probably it refers to a map of some sort, right?

Do you guys assume that the vast majority of the millions of unlisted stars, the ones not even included on the map, are all planetless or if they do have planets they are just gas giants, rocks and ice balls? I guess Im asking how prevalent other inhabited planets are that aren't listed?

Do you guys assume that the vast majority of the millions of unlisted stars, the ones not even included on the map, are all planetless or if they do have planets they are just gas giants, rocks and ice balls? I guess Im asking how prevalent other inhabited planets are that aren't listed?

I believe that the established standard is they're as prevalent as required by the Force... I mean plot. ;)

I assume that all the unlisted stars are that way because the writers of this series haven't had time to name everything. Given how prevalent planets seem to be in our own galaxy, seems reasonable that they are just as prevalent in other galaxies with similar formations of stars.