Sign in to follow this  
Tokyogriz

Is the Success of X-Wing Killing our beloved FFG?

Forbidden Stars is their original non star wars themed game this year.

The rest of your list is reprints and reruns.  It reinforces FFG is actually becoming a cash cow for Asmodee.  Low risk high return games.

I would rather they update/support existing games with the occasional brand new game rather than just churning out new games at whatever rate you deem acceptable. There is an upper limit to the number of games they can actively support and I imagine there would be developer burnout if they had to maintain some sort of '5 new games a year'. 

Also if you ask me FFG has never been great at making weird one shot board games that were cool and had staying power.

That is something a company with salaried designers is pretty weak at producing compared to companies that have the freedom to license designs from outside creators.

But they still do plenty of weird games like the end of the world RPGs.

And to poke another hole in this poorly constructed narative, I highly suggest the OP take a look at the time line.

The Asmodee aquisition was announced in Nov of 2014. Both Imperial Assault and Armada were announced in August 2014, and both were demoed at Gencon. Copies of IA were released at the German version of Gencon in October of 2014.

Now clearly the Asmodee thing was in the works for awhile before being announced to us, but that also applies to IA and Armada. They were ready for production by August 2014 which means they had been conceptualized and designed over a year plus prior to that point.

The idea that FFG is continuing to pull from the Star Wars well at the prodding of thier Asmodee overlords, is frankly just bull. Most of thier Star Wars games were created prior to Asmodee having any part of FFG. Asmodee or not FFG was going to make as many Star Wars related products as they could. You don't obtain that type of IP if you don't plan on utilizing it. Rebellion may have even been in the works prior to Asmodee, but at worst it is the first Star Wars game FFG has created since that point.

Edited by ScottieATF

When roughly 75% of the player base leaves a game after you change edition you know you screwed up.  So many players were pissed they created another game because of Hasbros idiotic decision making. 

They "Killed" what they had.  Funny thing was them reprinting old 3.5 books a few years later to try to get people back.  My local store had few if any 4.0 books but lots of Pathfinder and Reprinted 3.5 books. 

So they should have just kept the bloated mess going instead? I'm sure tons of people left when AD&D was replaced by 2nd Editiion, and again when that was replaced by 3rd, and yet again when that was largely replaced by 3.5. D&D has continued to be a financial juggernaut regardless. 

Looks like Mafia-Vendetta and Hoax are FFGs only non star wars original games coming out next year or at least what I see. 

Good reprints, chaos in the old world being one I like to see.

Not much new stuff there considering.

All safe money In the bank material.  I do look forward to Star Wars Rebellion, but it does look like FFG is on $$ creative cruise control.  I guess with fans, myself included pumping cash into star wars they don't need to be an innovative company anymore.

I'll chime in and say I stared with ad&d and 3.5 is by far my favorite system. I was involved in 4e launch and was unhappy with how they took it. Pathfinder is the best alternative to me. That said I have a large stock pile of 3.5 stuff lol

3.5 has everything, rules for it all, if you wanna you can by the book. Not saying it's perfect but it's the most traditional fantasy system I feel, or path finder, I kinda feel they are the same. 4e to me got rid of classic character archetype. My 2 cents.

Also I have some weirdly personal experience with just exactly how well asmodee NA can influence its partners to publish games. Let's just say Asmodee bought their partners because they liked and respected what they were doing not because they saw something they could bleed dry.

Hell, I'm glad DnD bit the dust. It allowed people to play other genres and styles of RPGs and make up and sell their own. Back in the day we only had ADnD and SPURG. Now there's hundreds of games to choose from, and you can be anything from a hacker or an occult unit cop to the queen of England.

@ Tokyogriz

Seems your mind is made up, therefore the discussion cannot continue since you have already made up your mind and condemned the company and no matter what anyone says you find a way to twist it into a negative.

Define how many games they need to produce until you will be satisfied? Furthermore, why should they listen to you? If Star Wars makes money, guess what, they will make more Star Wars, particularly given how successful it is, the demand is there.

A company is always out to please it's customers, but also make enough money to draw a profit, without profit new projects cannot be funded, employees cannot be paid etc etc. that is how the business world works, but apparently some people have a problem with how that works.

Edited by Ebak

A company is always out to please it's customers, but also make enough money to draw a profit, without profit new projects cannot be funded, employees cannot be paid etc etc. that is how the business world works, but apparently some people have a problem with how that works.

... then there is Games Workshop. ;)

When roughly 75% of the player base leaves a game after you change edition you know you screwed up.  So many players were pissed they created another game because of Hasbros idiotic decision making. 

They "Killed" what they had.  Funny thing was them reprinting old 3.5 books a few years later to try to get people back.  My local store had few if any 4.0 books but lots of Pathfinder and Reprinted 3.5 books. 

So they should have just kept the bloated mess going instead? I'm sure tons of people left when AD&D was replaced by 2nd Editiion, and again when that was replaced by 3rd, and yet again when that was largely replaced by 3.5. D&D has continued to be a financial juggernaut regardless. 

So they should have tried the same thing over and over and over? 4e needed to be something entirely new and I liked it. It wasn't traditional DnD and lacked any real social machanics, but the latter case was hardly ever in DnD to begin with and after the magical bloat that made mundanes as exciting to play as a dishwasher, it needed something entirely new. It was a breath of fresh air.

BUT OF COURSE THE FANS KNOW BEST SO I'M GOING TO TYPE IN CAPS AND EXPRESS MY RAGE UNTIL THEY REWRITE 4E INTO 3.5! BECAUSE BACKTRACKING A SYSTEM OR PLAYING DND NEXT WOULD BE COMPLETELY ILLOGICAL, **** YOU WIZARDS FOR TRYING SOMETHING WE DON'T LIKE!!! WARRRAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH*

*What I read whenever I enter a debate about anything on a forum

I dropped AD&D when 2e came out. Up to that point, I had everything that TSR ever released. Once Gary was forced out by the board, the company started falling apart. It was rotting from the inside *long* before Hasbro had anything to do with it.

Looks like Mafia-Vendetta and Hoax are FFGs only non star wars original games coming out next year or at least what I see. 

Good reprints, chaos in the old world being one I like to see.

Not much new stuff there considering.

All safe money In the bank material.  I do look forward to Star Wars Rebellion, but it does look like FFG is on $$ creative cruise control.  I guess with fans, myself included pumping cash into star wars they don't need to be an innovative company anymore.

It's Marketing 101, combined with Market Awareness 102.

You flood product to the market, when consumer awareness is high, or ultra-high in this case - find someone in the developed nations of the world that is entirely unaware of a new Star Wars movie. Not that they're excited by it, since that's obviously not going to be everyone, but just aware of it.  There's also a little, somewhat popular gift giving event happening right now too. I'd suppose that the combination of these two events might, just *might* mind you, have something to do with the flood of releases to market right now.  YMMV.

So they should have tried the same thing over and over and over? 4e needed to be something entirely new and I liked it. It wasn't traditional DnD and lacked any real social machanics, but the latter case was hardly ever in DnD to begin with and after the magical bloat that made mundanes as exciting to play as a dishwasher, it needed something entirely new. It was a breath of fresh air.

BUT OF COURSE THE FANS KNOW BEST SO I'M GOING TO TYPE IN CAPS AND EXPRESS MY RAGE UNTIL THEY REWRITE 4E INTO 3.5! BECAUSE BACKTRACKING A SYSTEM OR PLAYING DND NEXT WOULD BE COMPLETELY ILLOGICAL, **** YOU WIZARDS FOR TRYING SOMETHING WE DON'T LIKE!!! WARRRAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH*

I liked 4E, that's the only version I've D&D I've actually played. I was saying that they were right to drop 3.5 and move on to a new edition. 

I liked 4E, that's the only version I've D&D I've actually played. I was saying that they were right to drop 3.5 and move on to a new edition. 

Oh, I wasn't replying to you particularly with the rambling rant; that was more directed towards those that saw blood when 4e was published and believes that only the utter crushing of DnD as a brand can redeem this slight; much in the way many people see Jar Jar Binks, despite that particular movie being released 15 years ago. XD

So yeah, I apologise I was just tagging on to support your comment. 4e was a decent try at sprucing things up, even if it did devoice the actual attacks from the basic DnD framework.