Sign in to follow this  
Tokyogriz

Is the Success of X-Wing Killing our beloved FFG?

I pose the question : Is the success of X-Wing killing FFG?

Points of concern for me

- Asmodee take over of FFG.

-  The issue with Asmodee artificially manipulating distribution channels to give THEMSELVES more $.

- FFG seems to be losing creativity.  Were are new creative games?  Last year we got star wars armada, star wars imperial assault, and a bunch of reprints.  Some have read the Asmodee moves as an effort to focus on big $ titles like X-Wing and drop other smaller titles.  This seems likely to me. 

- Is Asmodee turning FFG into their private piggy bank?  CEOs of FFG and Asmodee are getting big returns but at what price to us their customers?

- Without the huge success of x-wing would any of these unfortunate events have occurred?

It's a typical equity firm. They'll make a short term profit, ride the wave of geometric growth, and leave the company once the curve starts flattening out. Once this happens there will probably be an apologetic announcement from one of the CEOs, followed by a change of visual and corporate identity. Someone will probably leave his office to do the thing he or she always wanted, like starting a restaurant, big game fishing, or becoming a professional collector and reseller of anime girls.

This will probably be followed by a niche game made by a rag tag group of creatives becoming wildly popular, taking some of the customers from FFG and Games Workshop's ghost. Once they fully cocoon from a team of creatives into a company, they themselves will get lured into the trap of some pension fund, which will promise the CEOs free money for no extra work at all, if they just agree follow a few simple steps. That way, the cycle will be complete.

Only two there are.

One to embody free lunch, another one to crave it.

Besides Rebellion what "Wide Range" of new titles are you referring to?

Rebellion does look good, but again its dipping into the overused Star Wars cash cow.  Is that all FFG will do now guaranteed $$ to pay Asmodee their quarterly dividends?

Rebellion does look good, but again its dipping into the overused Star Wars cash cow.  Is that all FFG will do now guaranteed $$ to pay Asmodee their quarterly dividends?

Well, we've got some of the most complex and tactically deep games on the market. A "casualised", self-contained boardgame was bound to happen sooner or later.

Eh, I am not too concerned, we don't even know how this will impact us for sure until things actually start occuring in April. Besides if we are unhappy what are we going to do about it? Boycott, that would do nothing but kill the game we like. So far I am happy with what FFG is supplying me with, I play several of their games, X-Wing, Armada, The Star Wars RPG, Eldritch Horror, Battlestar Galactica, The End of the World.

You may not believe it, but FFG are making quite a lot of very good games. People are seeing this as the death of FFG and liking it to Games Workshop when I don't see that, FFG has a wider range of products that GW had (in my opinion). Yes the Star Wars licence is making them a big pot of money, it's Star Wars, that will draw anyone in and it isn't like the games they provide are terrible or overpriced, X-Wing is still the cheapest miniatures game on the market right now, and I am very impressed with the way FFG keep moving forward. I have my faith placed in them.

Personally, I see everyone losing their goddamn minds over what I attribute to be "I don't want to pay full price when before I could get 40% off.", well scrooge gaming is a luxury item, you don't need it to survive, and if you are melting down models to inject into your bloodstream which you need to do to live, you have a problem. If you can't afford it...thems the rubs. There have been some months where I've not been able to afford a model, and it's tough, but its not like I NEED it. I NEED to eat and pay bills, not play X-Wing. I just cycle whatever budget I have set asside for them into the next month so I know I will be able to get something the next month.

Edited by Ebak

No,without X-wing niether Armada, Imperial Assault, nor Rebellion would exist; but why is there existence a bad thing again?

Armada and Imperial Assault are proving popular well regarded products (IA Skirmish being the exception). Rebellion looks nothing but outstanding. FFG is making the quality Star Wars games the gamers have asked for for years. Why is that bad?

Honestly, I think your train of thought on the subject is a bit silly.

FFG put out Forbidden Stars this year, which was fantastic.  So's the second edition of the Game of Thrones LCG.  And they're still supporting the Lord of the Rings LCG with quality product.  There was also the Mission: Red Planet reprint, which was one of my favorite games of the last year.  And they've got a boatload of L5R stuff coming up soon too.

So no, FFG isn't being killed by X-Wing.  Not in the slightest.

Forbidden Stars is their original non star wars themed game this year.

The rest of your list is reprints and reruns.  It reinforces FFG is actually becoming a cash cow for Asmodee.  Low risk high return games.

FFG is banking on people purchasing the same same.  The second edition of Game of Thrones LCG is a great example.  They just put out a new expansion for 1st edition and the ink was barely dry before launching second edition Game of Thrones.  Quite a few players were  real put out from this.

Once Hasbro took over WOTC they followed the same greed train on DnD.  Scrapping the 3.5 system so they could force players to repurchase the whole series all over again.  Hasbro literally killed DnD as it was. 

I see Hoax and Mafia: Vendetta. And they just did a pretty major revision on Fury of Dracula. Probably has a good sized team working on the L5R revisions. 

And let's not blame WOTC's current state on Hasbro. There is a wide, wide range of reason for why WOTC's had the abandoning of everything except Magic and D&D RPG. 

And let's not say that Asmodee enabling FFG to put out reprints of more obscure games is a bad thing. 

Edited by Sithborg

4e was divisive, but saying it killed d&d is a gross overstatement. And frankly, 3.5 was starting to show its age (And I say that as someone who loves it to death).

Edit: I'm skeptical as to whether the online sale changes will actually increase revenue- CSI and MM's volume of sales probably brings in more money than just selling at MSRP. I doubt Asmodee is thinking about increased revenue at least in the short term.

Edited by Squark

When roughly 75% of the player base leaves a game after you change edition you know you screwed up.  So many players were pissed they created another game because of Hasbros idiotic decision making. 

They "Killed" what they had.  Funny thing was them reprinting old 3.5 books a few years later to try to get people back.  My local store had few if any 4.0 books but lots of Pathfinder and Reprinted 3.5 books. 

TylerT, on 24 Dec 2015 - 8:56 PM, said:

LoL

Look at the really amazing things put out by asmodee.

What asmodee puts out is irrelevant.  The question regards what FFG is putting out now they are a Asmodee piggy Bank.

When roughly 75% of the player base leaves a game after you change edition you know you screwed up.  So many players were pissed they created another game because of Hasbros idiotic decision making. 

They "Killed" what they had.  Funny thing was them reprinting old 3.5 books a few years later to try to get people back.  My local store had few if any 4.0 books but lots of Pathfinder and Reprinted 3.5 books. 

Was it done for money reasons, no doubt. 

But why blame Hasbro when you can blame the catastrophic failure of Dreamscape. 

4e needed to happen. 3.5 was suffering from serious system bloat. Now, the 4e we got was not the resounding success everyone hoped for (I wanted Saga Edition, but with fantasy, personally), and it's kind of a niche appeal, but I don't think its existence is the result of executive meddling.