Sign in to follow this  
jbmacek

Named Lightsabers?

What about someone who has two lightsabers? For convenience's sake, I could easily see someone giving them names, if only something simple like "lefty" and "righty" or "lefty" and "shorty." Or a name based on overall color, such as "steel" or "black handle." Even though they might not seem like names, and might not be names as far as the owner is concerned (attachment... ), to the uninitiated masses they can become names.

Objects that have characteristics can easily become named after those characteristics. The Porsche that I had in my youth had a tendency to backfire, hence it became Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. My wife and I each owned Ford Escapes at one point. Mine was yellow. Hers was red. When the kids asked which we were going to take someplace, at first it was "yellow" or "red", and eventually they became "Mustard" and "Ketchup."

And what of someone like General Grievous? Did he call his lightsabers after the dead Jedi who once owned it? While I haven't given my Force FX lightsaber a name, I do think of it as "the Fisto."

What about someone who has two lightsabers? For convenience's sake, I could easily see someone giving them names, if only something simple like "lefty" and "righty" or "lefty" and "shorty." Or a name based on overall color, such as "steel" or "black handle." Even though they might not seem like names, and might not be names as far as the owner is concerned (attachment... ), to the uninitiated masses they can become names.

Depends how you define a name really.  It seems like you're tlaking about shorthand descriptors, and I agree that names acrete in that way.  My car is green and has lumpy headlights that look a bit like eyes so it has ended up being called Froggy, but that's hardly "The Destroyer" or "Foe Render".  On the other hand I have two bows, and I havn't neamed them to differentiate, if I have to think of them as different I think of "my proper bow" and "the bow I made myself".

I think lest I get carried away I should reitterate my main feeling (and that of most people here I think) that most Jedi wouldn't but there are exceptions and it's not a problem if you or your players want to (which is the answer to a lot of the questions on this forum).

Objects that have characteristics can easily become named after those characteristics. The Porsche that I had in my youth had a tendency to backfire, hence it became Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. My wife and I each owned Ford Escapes at one point. Mine was yellow. Hers was red. When the kids asked which we were going to take someplace, at first it was "yellow" or "red", and eventually they became "Mustard" and "Ketchup."

And what of someone like General Grievous? Did he call his lightsabers after the dead Jedi who once owned it? While I haven't given my Force FX lightsaber a name, I do think of it as "the Fisto."

Naming objects requires a certain level of attachment to that object that the Jedi Order discourages. You're naming things that have personal meaning to you, but Jedi lightsabre's don't have personal meaning to the Jedi. It would be like naming your pen. Or naming your shoe laces. It's also worth considering that a descriptor is not a name. Asking to be handed the black handled lightsabre is in no way the same as actually naming it. It's very common to use descriptors to differentiate objects. But don't mistake making it clear what you mean by which lightsabre you wanted handed to you as being on the same path as naming it. They are distinct and different and to say that adding a description to an object is just a step towards naming is to define naming an object in such broad terms as to rendering it meaningless. 

Also it's worth pointing out that not everyone names things. 

If you name something, it should be sentient. For this case we have the "Talking Sword"-trope and the Star Wars EU has a good point to start for something like this. There is a species of living crystals called Shards, who also can be force-sensitive. Instead of walking around in a droid body, someone could used one the Shards as lightsaber cystal. He didn't knew until it was starting to talk to him....or maybe he is just crazy!  :P

Edited by kingpin000

Depending on back story, most F&D characters aren't "Jedi" yet. Many will be late-teens to early-20s sapients that may very well name their favorite weapon. A mentor would discourage it, and maybe a even holocron would. Maybe the next age of force users will be more grounded than the Jedi, doing things like marrying, keeping trophies and having pets. It's your story, enjoy it. 

Well, for the Jedi at least, the lightsaber was a combination of a badge of office (member in good standing of the Jedi Order) and a symbol of who and what they were (guardians of peace and justice).

I completely agree with this, but that likens the lightsaber to a sheriff's badge. And you don't come across many naming those either. The lightsaber was an integral part of being a Jedi.. but it was more an extension of themselves than an entity unto itself. 

That being said, I also agree with orcface999... generally speaking, the characters created as part of F&D are distinctly NOT Jedi. They are force sensitives. And they may, or may not form attachments, be conceited or the like and they may or may not choose to name their lightsabers. Or there could be those who perform great deeds wielding a lightsaber and it is passed on to another when the first is killed or the like, and thus a sort of mythology starts to form around the blade rather than the individual, one created by people other than those wielding it. 

If you name something, it should be sentient. For this case we have the "Talking Sword"-trope and the Star Wars EU has a good point to start for something like this. There is a species of living crystals called Shards, who also can be force-sensitive. Instead of walking around in a droid body, someone could used one the Shards as lightsaber cystal. He didn't knew until it was starting to talk to him....or maybe he is just crazy!  :P

Ok, that could be funny as ****.  Make it an ancient Sith Lord Shard, and let us know how that works in a campaign.  PLEASE.

Edited by Voice

Ok, that could be funny as ****.  Make it an ancient Sith Lord Shard, and let us know how that works in a campaign.  PLEASE.

My idea is that the PCs will find a lightsaber like this and then it will try the Influence force power on the party constantly. Only the Droid* PC is immune to all its tryings....

My only problem is to find good stats of the species and lightsaber crystal. For the species stats could try to convert the stats from Saga Edition but I have no idea how to stat out a lightsaber crystal...

* The Droid player begs sometimes for a lightsaber, but I don't want to give it to him just like candy, so a talking sword with his own will and force powers would try to convince the rest of the party to stab him. Cursed Items FTW! :D

Actually if I remember right lightsabers were collected from fallen comrades and taken to the Jedi Temple in Coruscant to be put in the archive.  While no lightsaber I know of had a name it did have a story attached to it.  That story was of the previous owner and what happened to them and how their saber played or perhsp didn't play a part in it.  

I don't know Annakin's old lightsaber seems to have a will of its own even calling out to people for them to use it. Something weird is going on with that one.

Well, it's probably one of the very few lightsabers to have been handed down from parent to offspring, with the original builder being very strong in the Force and at the time committed to the Jedi ideals of protecting those around them, the second wielder being equally strong and just as attached to the weapon.  If the leading theory of Rey's heritage is correct, then it could be that the weapon is "calling out" to family.

In a way, it's not unlike the bit of Japanese mythology where certain items could have their spirit awakened, becoming far more capable at their intended role.  So it could be that Anakin's lightsaber has similarly "awakened," and though not likely to be fully sentient is "aware" enough to know the purpose it was meant for (weapon of a Jedi Knight, defender and guardian of peace and justice) and that if the person trying to claim it was "worthy."  Kylo Ren wasn't, Rey was, or at the very least Rey had a greater need than Kylo did.

Some other lightsabers that might have some essence or 'imbued'ness is Mace Windu's which was dropped into the city of Coruscant and I don't know if they ever established what happen to it.  Also Yoda's shoto lightsaber might have some essence to it because of just how long Yoda might of carried it for.  As for 'named' there is also the "Ten" or "Twelve" I can't remember is those who left the order and may or may not of taken their lightsabers with them.  Those may have names associated with those who left like 'the hermit' or 'the recluse'.  Again I think that lightsabers more have stories than names.  

However, depending on when you are playing or how you want to run the mythos maybe the understanding of how to 'make' lightsabers and now they are passed on from member to member of an order or society.  Thus 'SithSlayer' is only given to warriors of the order and 'Peacekeeper' to guardians.  Also you could create legends surrounding lightsabers on worlds that may have never heard or seen of a Jedi.  Now there is this Sentinel who stalks criminals in the night and his shining sword of justice cut them down for their acts.  It entirely up to how the players/GM want to run it in my opinion.

A talent like 'Imbue Item' could be explained this way. Suffer one strain each round per Force Point committed to let {Blade-name} aid you to give {one chosen improvement}.  (oops: didn't read the previous post close enough! - err, what he said!)

Edited by Streak

Going to disney to build your own? IS there something i dont know about there?

As for naming, among the idea I would think that would seem a very narcissistic thing to do. Something that would build an undue pride. A lightsaber is a tool, like a hammer or a pen.

I think outside of the old jedi order, such as dark jedi, sith, or any other force group that uses lightsabers; i think it just depends on the tennents of that group as to if thats an okay thing to do or not

I did some digging around and back in Star Wars Galaxies MMO there were named lightsaber crystals as rewards.  Also I know that KotOR also had named lightsaber crystals for the player to collect.  I think that might be something that could make for a good story hook is not named swords but seeking out lightsaber crystals that are named.  I am currently developing a small adventure pack.  I am calling it "The Lost Holocrons of Ossus" blending together some aspects of the KotOR comic and the current game.  Plus some other Legends type material to round out the story.  It is going to be a 5 parter with the players gathering up the Holocrons and then ending up on Ossus to find even more Jedi artifacts.  Thinking maybe some named crystals as part of the final reward.

I use something similar to "named lightsabers" in my nemesis/inquisitor gear, a special ability activation (2-4 advantages) on hit with lighsaber. So far I had two, Lightwhip hilt with ensnare, juggernaut gem/maneuver for Sunder 3, and Fear check inducing hilt or combat maneuver (a more combat version of Terrify and/or Fearsome), nasty stuff. :P

I use something similar to "named lightsabers" in my nemesis/inquisitor gear, a special ability activation (2-4 advantages) on hit with lighsaber. So far I had two, Lightwhip hilt with ensnare, juggernaut gem/maneuver for Sunder 3, and Fear check inducing hilt or combat maneuver (a more combat version of Terrify and/or Fearsome), nasty stuff. :P