Sign in to follow this  
TalosX

VCX-100

I know this ship has already been a bit of a hot topic.  However, I wanted to discuss something that I haven't seen discussed as of yet.  Specifically, the aft mounted twin light laser cannons.  I've been watching several of the older Rebels episodes, and in each showing of the aft guns firing, it appears that it's actually the Phantom's guns pointed rearward.  If this is the case, and the stock VCX-100 doesn't come with the shuttle, should the VCX have aft guns on the stock variant?

There was different sources of information originally that conflicted with each other. Having watched the series though I have seen an aft turret used while the Phantom was either out or guns inward while docked.

I assure you, this book was in editable development after Rebels was out.

I think the aft guns would be mounted in place of the Phantom, were it not there. So Hera pulled the aft gun mount and put the Phantom docking mount in its place. Because the Phantom can dock with guns pointed out, the Ghost is able to keep its stock firepower as long as the Phantom is docked.

Had this conversation in some thread back when the series came out. There was originally some conflicting information on the Ghost. I seem to recall the Visual Guide spoke of the rear cannons but the Wookiepedia didn't or something like that. Be that as it may it seems Wookiepedia now speaks of three sets of cannons. The dorsal turret, the front turret and third set (the rear ones by assumption). It makes no mention that the rear ones are the Phantom's. As I said, as i watched the second season marathon there were scenes where the rear cannons were used when the Phantom was out or docked lasers in.

Had this conversation in some thread back when the series came out. There was originally some conflicting information on the Ghost. I seem to recall the Visual Guide spoke of the rear cannons but the Wookiepedia didn't or something like that. Be that as it may it seems Wookiepedia now speaks of three sets of cannons. The dorsal turret, the front turret and third set (the rear ones by assumption). It makes no mention that the rear ones are the Phantom's. As I said, as i watched the second season marathon there were scenes where the rear cannons were used when the Phantom was out or docked lasers in.

Maybe it was the 1st season, as I just went back over all the 2nd season battles and there is no evidence of a rear firing blaster outside of the Phantom.  I did find something interesting in the "Wings of the Master" episode.  When Quarry is telling Hera he mounted a hyperdrive on the Phantom, it shows the Phantom in the background with what looks suspiciously like a rear-firing turret on top!  That might explain the Ghosts ability to fire to the rear when the Phantom is docked nose-first.

The Phantom does have a single laser turret mounted on top/back of it. It was shown in a season one episode titled: "Darkness", taking out a TIE fighter. Though it was never shown being used while the Phantom was docked, facing forward, to the Ghost; it would appear at least possible. More so now that the Phantom got a droid socket upgrade.

Maybe I am misremembering. I can't go back and look as I don't have access. The Visual Guide does have this:

pic2222263.jpg

Which is now backed up by the wookiepedia page now.

The page on the Phantom does go into its docking position which can be nose in or nose out (thus acting as a third set of guns). It is also interesting that wookiepedia lists the third set of guns as 1 Taim & Bak MS-2B twin laser cannon which is the same armament as on the Phantom. Maybe consider the stock version to have the rear lasers whereas the Ghost has had it removed to fit the Phantom being that it has been customized.

Maybe I am misremembering. I can't go back and look as I don't have access. The Visual Guide does have this:

Which is now backed up by the wookiepedia page now.

The page on the Phantom does go into its docking position which can be nose in or nose out (thus acting as a third set of guns). It is also interesting that wookiepedia lists the third set of guns as 1 Taim & Bak MS-2B twin laser cannon which is the same armament as on the Phantom. Maybe consider the stock version to have the rear lasers whereas the Ghost has had it removed to fit the Phantom being that it has been customized.

Hmm, I guessing you're right and Hera removed the original rear-weapon system for a dock for the Phantom.  With the Phantom in place the Ghost hasn't lost any firepower, and they have the added benefit to have a shuttle onboard.  I'm really curious about the Phantom's stats at the moment.  That will have to wait for a later supplement though.  As for the Ghost itself, I find the fact that they call the dorsal light laser cannons a "heavy weapon," when a lot of stock freighters have at least medium lasers mounted on turrets.  The sensor scrambler is interesting though.  Although I imagine that could be as simple as a system setup to alter their transponder.

Hmm, I guessing you're right and Hera removed the original rear-weapon system for a dock for the Phantom.  With the Phantom in place the Ghost hasn't lost any firepower, and they have the added benefit to have a shuttle onboard.  I'm really curious about the Phantom's stats at the moment.  That will have to wait for a later supplement though.  As for the Ghost itself, I find the fact that they call the dorsal light laser cannons a "heavy weapon," when a lot of stock freighters have at least medium lasers mounted on turrets.  The sensor scrambler is interesting though.  Although I imagine that could be as simple as a system setup to alter their transponder.

Pretty much *any* vehicle-mounted weapon is going to be a heavy weapon by modern nomenclature (especially when it has a *seat*), and there's not much reason to suspect that Star Wars terminology differs significantly in that regard.  Turret mounted stuff like you're discussing is a step above and beyond the 'crew-portable' heavy weapons.

Edited by Voice

No real idea on the rear guns, but my best guess is that the ghost had the retrofitted hangar bay since it's a silhouette 5 ship. That would accommodate for the shuttle plus a little bit more, but what are your thoughts?

So has anyone figured out how to make the Ghost/Phantom mod configuration?  Just curious I was thinking of pulling something from the expanded universe with a Ghroct Freighter or the one of the YT series.

So has anyone figured out how to make the Ghost/Phantom mod configuration?  Just curious I was thinking of pulling something from the expanded universe with a Ghroct Freighter or the one of the YT series.

Since the VCX-100 is officially a Silhouette 5 ship, just use the Retrofitted Hanger Space attachment, with the Phantom being a Silhoutte 3 vessel (no idea what stats to use for the Phantom though).

Since the VCX-100 is officially a Silhouette 5 ship, just use the Retrofitted Hanger Space attachment, with the Phantom being a Silhoutte 3 vessel (no idea what stats to use for the Phantom though).

Could use the Miy'til Starfighter and swap out the concussion missile launcher for a single light laser turret. Maybe add a point of encumbrance.

Use the Silhoutte 3 HWK light freighter.

The Micro-Fighter version of the Ghost is too small to have the shuttle, and as Lathrop said the larger version requires you to purchase the Phantom separately.  It is worth it though, as the completed Ghost + Phantom is a pretty cool piece, one that I've got sitting proudly on my display shelf.

It does if you spend for the separate Phantom set.

The Micro-Fighter version of the Ghost is too small to have the shuttle, and as Lathrop said the larger version requires you to purchase the Phantom separately.  It is worth it though, as the completed Ghost + Phantom is a pretty cool piece, one that I've got sitting proudly on my display shelf.

x_x unluckily is no more on sale...

i'll stick with "only" the new millenium falcon from FTA...  ;)  :P

You can probably find the Phantom on eBay, Amazon, or even Lego's own website.  You may have to do some searching to find a decent price (retail was about $20if I remember right), but there are bargains to be found.  I got the Ghost + Phantom for about $75 thru eBay (got really lucky there), so the bargains are out there if you've got the time and inclination to look for them.

Me too. Only disappointment about the two sets is that i never got Sabine. And the one set with Sabine, the  speeder bike, has her without her Mando helmet.

Me too. Only disappointment about the two sets is that i never got Sabine. And the one set with Sabine, the  speeder bike, has her without her Mando helmet.

Again, eBay.  Although you're probably going to be paying a pretty penny, especially if you want the version of Sabine with her helmet, which only comes with the $140 Imperial TIE carrier.

I've been tempted to buy that TIE carrier more than once, with the only real problem being not having anyplace to really put it without packing away a decent number of my other Star Wars Lego kits to make room.

Again, eBay.  Although you're probably going to be paying a pretty penny, especially if you want the version of Sabine with her helmet, which only comes with the $140 Imperial TIE carrier.

I've been tempted to buy that TIE carrier more than once, with the only real problem being not having anyplace to really put it without packing away a decent number of my other Star Wars Lego kits to make room.

I did not know about that one. Thanks.

It does if you spend for the separate Phantom set.

x_x unluckily is no more on sale...

i'll stick with "only" the new millenium falcon from FTA...  ;)  :P

There was a version of the set that had the Ghost and Phantom in the same box.  Everywhere I saw it, it ran about $50 more than buying the two separately.

Try ordering it from Lego directly, maybe?

Also, it looks like the Ghost upcoming for X-Wing will come with the Phantom.  I doubt it'll be able to dock/undock, unfortunately.