Sign in to follow this  
Eyegor

Choosing an EPT

Another newb question: I referenced this thought in another thread but figured it might be worth a broader discussion. How to judge EPTs? Obviously the popular ones, (PTL, Pred., VI, etc) see lots of use and their benefits are quite well understood by many, but not all. But once you get beyond that small number, how can you determine what is good, so-so, or out right bad. And I'm sure that there are cases where an EPT fits well with one pilot but doesn't make sense with some one else. Any help, ideas, or discussion on this topic is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Eyegor

dice modifications are life

which is why PTL + Predator are generally king, they give you dice modifications in situation as where you normally wouldn't have any (especially in the case of pilots such as soontir, which generate focus off the stress even after barrel-rolling + boosting)

V.I is more situational, but you basically use it to either hit or exceed PS 9 on pilots that can get dice mods through some fashion outside of ept slot (fire control system, k4 security droid, pilot abilities such as Poe etc.)

and now there's Juke as a contender, but only on ships that can have an evade token AND still modify their red dice

the Tie/fo is actually a perfect example because Comm Relay (tech upgrade) lets them hold onto an evade and take a focus action, giving them modified dice + juke for their attacks

for everything else, there's crackshot (the one point wonder); especially on cheap generic epts such as Black Squadron pilots

that's basically it, though. Predator/PTL/Juke/Crackshot and sometimes V.I are by far the most popular epts and the ones you should be paying most attention to. Everything else is exceptionally corner case.

Edited by ficklegreendice

In addition to the above, I'm a big fan of outmaneuver on some pilots.

Stripping the green dice from your target is very powerful - as long as you already have an ability that allows you to reliably modify your attack dice.

The classic case is on Vessery who can stack target lock and focus, and can easily k-turn into a position behind his victim.

I think in more general answer to your question, you need to look at the cards as either an enhancement of something your ship/pilot can already do, or as a mitigating effect on something that the ship is bad at, or lacks entirely.

So in the case of outmaneuver, which is a poor choice on many ships, it clearly works on Vessery because he can already reroll and focus all his dice, and he can easily get behind his target, so this EPT has far more utility on him than on most.

In the case of PTL, it's a great card on lots of ships, but you don't want to put it on a ship that has very little green on its dial as you'll never be able to clear the stress.

Evaluating an EPT comes down to how it's advantages and disadvantages match up with the ship and pilot you're matching it with.  For example, PTL (Push the Limit) can be an amazing EPT choice or a horrible one, depending on which ship it's used with.  Since it causes stress, ships that can easily shed stress (e.g. TIE Int, A-wings) work well with it.  Ships that can't (Y-wings, Shuttle) are bad combinations.

As noted above, action economy (using multiple actions/abilities per turn) and dice modification EPTs are very powerful and as a result are very popular.

Your overall build and strategy should also be taken into effect.  When building a list, I consider the various possible types of opponents I might face and adjust my upgrades accordingly.  For example, one possible match-up is with high PS aces.  To prepare for that match-up, I may ditch an EPT like predator in order to take VI.

Edited by FluxCapcitr

These are popular because they always work. It's not that Decoy, Swarm Tactics, Lone Wolf, Marksmanship or Calculation are bad per se, it's just that they have a more limited number of situations in which they are useful. Predator might be better against PS0-2, but it nearly always dows something.

Another popular EPT is Lone Wolf.  It is also a good example of an EPT that is situational.  Lone Wolf is good on builds that contain a smaller number of ships (as it relies on you staying outside of range two of your own ships to trigger).  It also requires you to adopt a particular strategy to make use of it.  If you don't like the idea of a single ship flying off by itself to flank the enemy, then it's probably not the EPT for you.

There are a ton of EPT combinations and possibilities.  If you're curious about any particular ones, mention them and we can comment on where they are useful and where they aren't.

Also, there are no EPTS that are flat out bad or good.  The value completely depends on the ships and upgrades they're used with.  For example, a popular EPT like Predator loses a lot of it's value when paired with a ship that has a Fire Control System (FCS), whereas other less popular EPTs might shine in it's place.

Edited by FluxCapcitr

@ficklegreendice makes a good point.  Modifying dice is key.  The game is about throwing dice and the red dice win games.  You're always rolling dice.  You don't always do anything else, except move.  Take:  Expert Handling for example.  What if nobody bothers to target lock you?  what if you also don't want to barrel roll?  Then its a useless ability.  

now look at Push the Limit and Predator.

Push the limit:  Who wouldnt want two actions?  espescially if those two actions modify your dice!  

Predator:  makes your red dice even better.  remember, red dice win games.  

Another newb question: I referenced this thought in another thread but figured it might be worth a broader discussion. How to judge EPTs? Obviously the popular ones, (PTL, Pred., VI, etc) see lots of use and their benefits are quite well understood by many, but not all. But once you get beyond that small number, how can you determine what is good, so-so, or out right bad. And I'm sure that there are cases where an EPT fits well with one pilot but doesn't make sense with some one else. Any help, ideas, or discussion on this topic is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Honestly I just separated all my ship cards, tokens, and upgrade cards into two piles: A pile of stuff that can use Crackshot and all of my Crackshot cards, and a pile of stuff that isn't crackshot or couldn't take crackshot.

I then slid the second pile in the trash.

bit of a rethread, but I thought it'd be nice to give my little checklist

re: Predator, PTL, Juke or Crackshot

I.) Predator (aka, "the default")

Does the ship have 3 attack dice? If no, predator is less valuable (more dice = more blanks; especially relevant on Zeta Leader)

Can the ship acquire re-rolls through other, self-sufficient means such as pilot ability or another upgrade slot, including another ept? If no, predator

Can the ship abuse PTL (see below)? If no, predator.

Examples:

200_s.gif

II.) PTL

Does the ship have multiple actions to abuse (especially evade) & does the ship have

1. a lot of green manuevers, especially hard turns?
  2. A way to overcome stress, generally via pilot ability (tycho; Dash due to his ability to ignore obstacles) or pre-manuever actions (sensors, bb-8)?

If yes, PTL.

If PTL, beware r3-a2.

Examples:

• A-wings (especially Tycho)
  • Tie Interceptors
  • certain FOs (Juke is imo superior, but Omega Ace really needs PTL to enable his ability)
  • Corran Horn w/sensors
  • BB-8 + PTL X-wings etc.

III.) Juke (aka, "the default but only for certain ships")

If you're not a small ship or can't evade naturally, no Juke for you!

If you can evade but cannot get additional modifiers (especially since Juke takes up the same space as Predator/PTL), no Juke for you!

Examples:

• A-wings (two epts with test pilot title)
  • Tie/FOs (comms relay holds evade, allowing you to take focus or TL),
  • Misthunter (comes with evade, system slot for FCS or crew slot for K4),
  • Tie Advance (accuracy corrector gives full hits, ATC gives a free crit but it's a bit stiff unless you're Vader)
  • Tie Defender (Tie/x7 title assigns free evade token; works even when stressed!)

IV.) Crackshot (expendable elites)

Do you have an ept slot but are too fragile to waste 3 points on? If so, Crackshot!

Do you not need predator/ptl for modifiers and just have a point laying around? If so, Crackshot!

Examples:

• Black Squadron pilot is the king of crack (too fragile for predator; terrifying in bulk with crackshot),
  • Omega Squadron (same thing as black squadron but tankier; more maneuverable--personally prefer Juke + relay but the points aren't always available),
  • Black Sun Ace (special Ks are fine ships, but they're squishy and get expensive quickly; Blacksun Ace with Stim + TL + crackshot makes for quite a scary opponent)
  • basically any ship that doesn't need predator/PTL; the Misthunter especially seems like it will fit this criteria if Juke is not your thing (and it might not be, as you need to perform evade actions to enable it rather than focus or rolling w/the title). FCS Starvipers may also get a kick out of it, and Aggressors just love it. It is an appropriately scummy upgrade.

Really, though, anyone who can Juke (i.e, modify their own dice without the need for an ept) can take Crackshot just as well. It's less consistent since it's one shot, but I'll be damned if it isn't incredible value.

A-wings in particular may appreciate crackshot more, since they generally run PTL and will want to TL + focus when going HAM on offense (meaning they'd rather not evade for Juke)

Edited by ficklegreendice

I classify EPTs (and other upgrades) into 3 tiers:

Top tier: (Predator, Crackshot, Juke, Lone Wolf)

These are almost always useful (if you meet the prereqs) - although not necessarily the best in every situation.

Mid tier: (VI, PTL, Outmaneuver, Expert Handling, Expose)

These are more situational - but are still EPTs I do use quite a bit.

Combo tier: (Everything else)

Unless a specific combo exists with say a pilot card ability or another upgrade, I seldom use these. Sometimes a combo can be far superior to a Top tier choice.

Edited by Hantheman

I classify EPTs (and other upgrades) into 3 tiers:

Top tier: (Predator, Crackshot, Juke, Lone Wolf)

These are almost always useful (if you meet the prereqs) - although not necessarily the best in every situation.

Mid tier: (VI, PTL, Outmaneuver, Expert Handling, Expose)

These are more situational - but are still EPTs I do use quite a bit.

Combo tier: (Everything else)

Unless a specific combo exists with say a pilot card ability or another upgrade, I seldom use these. Sometimes a combo can be far superior to a Top tier choice.

PTL in mid tier? In the same tier as Expose?! What is this blasphemy? 

Anyway, back to Eyegor. The best EPTs usually do one or more of the following: let you modify dice in some way, give you more actions, or improve on your actions in a big way. There's already been some good explanations on the major EPTs, so I'll say that things like Expert Handling should be taken by things that can't barrel roll on their own. If you already have the action, shedding the target lock won't be worth two points (unless Omega Leader is popular in your area?). Being able to barrel roll in a T-70 or Decimator? That might just be worth two points. 

A point that bears repeating is that depending on what you want a given ship to do, you should either improve their ability to do that or mitigate weaknesses. For example I have a list in the works that throws a few TIE fighters at my opponent to soften them up for my named pilots. I went with Blackshots (Black Squadron w/ Crack Shot) because they exist to slam into the enemy and then die for all I care. Crack Shot should allow them to slip some extra damage in early. On Xizor I usually use Veteran Instincts because he wants to dodge around firing arcs and that can be hard to do if up against pilot skill 8, but with VI I can guarantee that he moves after all the 7 and 8 pilots and he might move after the other 9s, which means I can more reliably keep him out of trouble while still getting shots.

Also, if you can take actions before moving PTL is always fun when revealing a green. BB-8+PTL is very entertaining. 

The good ones are easy to identify.. they don't require an action or simply allow additional actions, permanently modify stats and in general can pretty much be counted as free actions due to passively modifying dice or stats. Don't mistake one-use EPTs as bad though since most are powerful enough to fall into this category.

The bad ones usually require an action thus replacing another valuable action AND come with a restriction. These could also be classified as combo elements, i.e. only useful when you find that pilot ability that breaks or abuses the drawback. Keyan farlander and stay on target is a 'combo'. Bossk and calculation etc etc. 

The rest fall somewhere in the middle but the same rule really applies as for the combos, only they are a little easier to figure out or apply to multiple ships.

To me anything that requires an action better be at least as good and useable as often as something I already have in my toolbox. A good example would be expert handling on scum kath scarlet. Its relatively pricey, takes your action and is extremely restrictive. However having access to BR is worth all those restrictions AND scum have access to k4 security droid allowing you to keep 'velocity' high the turn after you perform your BR. The other synergy here would be that kath likes to k turn so she fights in a unique method meaning BR can also keep her at range 1 for 5 attacks and force bumps etc. Most others would puke at the thought of paying for EH. 

Anyway just a few little tidbits. Its too broad to put a face to everything but look for similar and really just learn the rules interactions and you'll see the bigger picture.

Edited by Carnor Rex