Sign in to follow this  
Hantheman

StarViper-M2

So looking at the Mask of the Pirate Queen FFG RPG Adventure there's this ship: the StarViper-M2. 

While the name appears for the first time in this book, the concept isn't new - After MandalMotors got back production rights for the StarViper, they made started producing a more mass manufacture friendly version of the StarViper.

Differences:

Replaces the twin-heavy cannons on the SV for quad-light laser cannons (in RPG terms this swaps armor penetration for rate of fire & accuracy - don't see it chaning PW value)

Increase shields 

Replaces Torpedo launcher for Ion Cannon

Supposed to be popular with Zann Consortium and other pirates. Could this become a fix for the StarVipers that are not Guri and Xizor?

don't see it personally

with Tie/D and BTL-a4 already doing the whole double-ion thing, best we can hope for are discounted cannons (which we thought for sure would be a defender fix, but hey it's still available!)

and virago being non-unique doesn't help the already overpriced generics by layering on yet more points

a simple upgrade slot swap and point reduction would do fine. Give it reverse Virago restriction if we're worried about Xizor

Edited by ficklegreendice

So looking at the Mask of the Pirate Queen FFG RPG Adventure there's this ship: the StarViper-M2. 

While the name appears for the first time in this book, the concept isn't new - After MandalMotors got back production rights for the StarViper, they made started producing a more mass manufacture friendly version of the StarViper.

Differences:

Replaces the twin-heavy cannons on the SV for quad-light laser cannons (in RPG terms this swaps armor penetration for rate of fire & accuracy - don't see it chaning PW value)

Increase shields 

Replaces Torpedo launcher for Ion Cannon

Supposed to be popular with Zann Consortium and other pirates. Could this become a fix for the StarVipers that are not Guri and Xizor?

It would be cool if the M2 title would reduce point cost by 2 points and swap the torp slot to a cannon slot + illicit slot

Personally, I feel that the TAP title (When you receive a target lock, you also receive an evade token) should have been what the Virgo title was and the Illicit and sensor slot should have been standard. That would of made the Star Viper aces actual aces and the generics at least useful.

However, with it being what it is, I wouldn't mind an M2 title. The X1 Advanced receiving an X1 title and the TIE/D receiving a TIE/D title sets precedence for this. What I would ideally like is a title that provides either the evade action or a evade token under another caveat to provide some much needed defence. Additionally, I would like to see a scum illicit such as viper droids that, should your primary weapon attack hit AND deal a damage card to the defender, they also receive a stress token. Discard as normal.

I feel this would address two issues with Scum and Viper.

<snip>with Tie/D and BTL-a4 already doing the whole double-ion thing, <snip>

Which actually helps the argument... Reb's can, Imps can.... why cant Scum?

:P

Btl card only comes in most wanted pack....scum can.

in fact, r4 Thugs were the original Thug Life

didn't see any Goldies out there taking nationals :P

The Starviper DOES NOT need a fix.  It is an amazing fighter and one of my favorite ships in the game.  I do wish the title was not unique, as putting a system on this bad boy makes them even scarier.  Furthermore, I'm actually not a fan of the named pilots.  I only fly Enforcers.  They move first, block lanes, and hit hard.

Happy Festivus everyone!

The Starviper DOES NOT need a fix.  It is an amazing fighter and one of my favorite ships in the game.  I do wish the title was not unique, as putting a system on this bad boy makes them even scarier.  Furthermore, I'm actually not a fan of the named pilots.  I only fly Enforcers.  They move first, block lanes, and hit hard.

Happy Festivus everyone!

I'm really happy that you like the generics and in a vacuum they can certainly do those things you described but like, have you played the named pilots? They're amazing!

Xizor and a Z-95 swarm is just a blast - it all but ensures your high-priced ace makes it to the endgame where he really shines and anyone who doesn't get a little bit nervous staring down 5 ships has clearly forgotten the terror of wave 1-2 swarms. Xizor with the title has the upgrade slots to make him incredibly deadly (pre-move PTL has to be one of my favorite moves in the game) and gives scum an arc dodging who can actually take a few hits without folding like a lawn chair.

Guri is the first truly viable platform for the advanced proton torpedoes and can hold her own against just about every PS4 and under ship out there. She's that sweet spot of not quite insane enough to be a priority for your opponent but still potent enough to do plenty of work, especially when ignored. No one wants to face the named pilots in the end-game. even Corran horn, the end-game champ, can't keep up with their maneuverability.

If you haven't flown them in a while, I'd recommend giving them a shot. Sensor Jammer on a Autothruster Guri eats TLTs for breakfast  :D

Happy Festivus everyone!

I'm really happy that you like the generics and in a vacuum they can certainly do those things you described but like, have you played the named pilots? They're amazing!

If you haven't flown them in a while, I'd recommend giving them a shot. Sensor Jammer on a Autothruster Guri eats TLTs for breakfast  :D

Oh I agree!  Xizor is not as amazing thanks to many of the new upgrade cards that bypass his ability.  Guri is a wrecking machine.  She doesn't care about stress.  She's going to out fly you, get in your face, and blow you up.  I love all the Starvipers.  I wish the Vigos had an EPT though.

Agreed on the Vigos. It looked like all the second tier generics would get EPTs which was awesome but they dropped the ball on the Starviper. Who knows, maybe it will get fixed with an aces pack or something cool. 

To be honest, I haven't flown the Xizor swarm against a dedicated TLT list yet so I'm sure that hurts the list but on the other hand, Autothrusters, 3 agility and that 5 hull make xizor a fairly poor target for the initial volley. I'd be curious to give it a shot - if you can knock out a y-wing in the initial pass, even the loss of two z's (the worst possible dice) still leaves the game in your favor. PTL xizor is definitely hitting the first y-wing and 3 z's have a good chance to knock it out. Be a fun match for sure. And anything they'd bring to round out the list is easy prey for swarms.

Now I just want to break him out again...thanks for the inspiration!

I've flown Guri in a couple tournaments for fun. I typically outfit her with PTL + Autothrusters. With the barrel roll + boost into range 1 for a free focus option, it makes her pretty scary. If she makes it to the end-game, she is a great finisher. But on the games where she's target priority number 1, she's done... and quickly.

On that note, I've always felt like a good fix would be adding some more green to the Starviper dial. It would allow you to really abuse the S-Loop without fear of what you'll do the next turn. I'm also with the group that thinks another shield or some type of Evade option would be great. I doubt that could ever happen, as the Starviper already has 4 natural actions on its bar. BUT - Can you imagine Guri being able to swing into range 1, evade, then get an extra focus? It would make it much more dangerous and help her last longer. Heck, even Xizor w/ Z swarm could benefit from an evade option. 

The main problem w/SV is it pays all the points to be an arcdodger and has poor PS.

That is why you don't see interceptors less than PS 7, or non blocker A's who are less than 7.

Well in Legends Lore the M2 is in production before Mandalmotors got the rights to the M1 Starviper back so maybe the M2 was something they could produce to make use of some of the work they put into Virago until they regained the rights to mass produce the M1 at which point they could offer both.