Sign in to follow this  
dewbie420

*spoilers* Special Forces TIE/sf is surely coming to X-wing, but how?

The rear arc seems to be everyone's main concern besides mag-pulse warheads, advanced systems and the crew slot. I really wanna know how FFG is going to print it on the base. Looks like there's not enough room. Redesigning without making it look too different seems like a huge task. Maybe a new token/template for small based ships that allow a clear way to detetmine special rear arcs?

I find it quite easy to flip/turn the base 180° to do it (I have some homemade rules for the TIE/sf) but some folks might find that akward.

Just imagine: the rear gun can selectively (or one way) pass through the special white wings of the TIE... giving it a 360 degree arc. We just haven't seen it in the movie yet- deleted footage.

How? Well, probably via expansion pack.

At least, that's my best guess.

But in all seriousness, include a "Rear Arc" token that snaps on to the little slot where the number bits go, and to ensure the number bits can still go there, but another slot for those on the arc itself.

Or just make it a token you use when you're measuring your attack, that you slap on the back and have a go with.

Amen FGD. No more PWTs!

I'm reasonably certain it'll be similar to the f/o TIE (TIEfoo) with a secondary rear arc...it'll fit on the card just fine. It'll probably have all the same actions as a TIEfoo but I'd wager to say it'll have a less forgiving dial: probably lose the green hard 2s. It'll prob, of course, come out at a base of 18ish points and have missile slots and perhaps cannon slots that can be shot out of either arc (or even rear only) in order to give Imps a cheaper cannon-carrier. I'd wager the Tech upgrade will also stay.

There are lots of ways to accomplish this, and it depends on how the turret will be represented in game.

Redesign token with auxiliary arc

Auxiliary arc printed pn token over text

Auxiliary arc token (fire arc extension guide) that rests along base in the maneouvre nubs.

If the turret is an actual turret, then no need. 360 degrees of suspension of disbelief in regards to the wings and shooting through them.

The turret has a different mechanic altogether, such as being equivalent to anti pursuit lasers or putting the range ruler in the maneouvre guide and only fires straight backwards.

why are we assuming that the TIe/SF is going to be an add-on to the Tie/FO? They're completely different ships just as the Tie/FO and Tie/LN are different, despite obvious similarities

whatever FFG does with it is going to come printed on the TIe/SF pilots' bases

based on the movie, though, it's an aux arc ship

Edited by ficklegreendice

I don't think the rear arc  works. A little extra bit to put on there sounds like no fun at all to me and seems like it would be too finicky. Maybe they could rearrange the base tile so the stats are on the sides. That's about the only way I see it working.

I think it's much more likely that it will either get a turret upgrade or some way to fire outside of it's firing arc.

Should get missiles as an upgrade as well.

And I agree that it should be a completely separate ship. It's possibly got both an additional shield and an additional hull, might actually be a little slower but should be able to shoot things more readily.

why are we assuming that the TIe/SF is going to be an add-on to the Tie/FO? They're completely different ships, despite obvious similarities

I agree. It will be black with a vertical red stripe and possibly have some antennas on top and turret thing on bottom. I like a crew slot, missle slot, tech or system upgrade, and a pair of fixed 90-degree arcs (front and rear).

That's my guess.

why are we assuming that the TIe/SF is going to be an add-on to the Tie/FO? They're completely different ships just as the Tie/FO and Tie/LN are different, despite obvious similarities

based on the movie its a 360, because if you remember when they steal acquire one inside the SSD he shoots behind to clear up the riff raff, but underneath he shoots in front. the direction of travel.

Am I the only one to think we'll be getting a secondary weapon as a tech upgrade? The mag-pulse looking thinks poe used in the end were different from the torpedoes they used on their "bombing"runs. It seems like they weren't limited to a few shots, either, the way he was firing them in the oscillator.

boo

based on the movie its a 360, because if you remember when they steal acquire one inside the SSD he shoots behind to clear up the riff raff, but underneath he shoots in front. the direction of travel.

we sure it doesn't have two sets of weapons?

because turrets would be incredibly stupid on something even Poe was impressed by (dude flies a T-70; it ain't no slouch!)

imagine TLTs on that thing :o

and not just TLTs, but TLTs with Juke (that antennae is 110% a Comms Relay)

granted, you can get juke TLTs on attack shuttles, but those obviously aren't super FO Ties and they don't get Comms Relays

Am I the only one to think we'll be getting a secondary weapon as a tech upgrade? The mag-pulse looking thinks poe used in the end were different from the torpedoes they used on their "bombing"runs. It seems like they weren't limited to a few shots, either, the way he was firing them in the oscillator.

Pretty sure Poe was just shooting copious amounts of Proton Torpedoes inside the Oscillator...of course T-65's only carry like 3-4 pairs of the things and he fired like 10+. Guess that's what happens with a few decades of technology. Hell, the E-wing had almost 2 dozen of the suckers only a handful of years later.

boo

because turrets would be incredibly stupid on something even Poe was impressed by (dude flies a T-70; it ain't no slouch!)

T-70s are, apparently, old tech.

boo

i would imagine a "crew tax" would be the cost of a turret. meaning it can only be active if theres a crew... i mean Poe did go over an assorted list of goodies (munitions) that were on the ship, but said them at a rate of speed i was only able to hear one or two, then imediately forget them.

Pretty sure Poe was just shooting copious amounts of Proton Torpedoes inside the Oscillator...of course T-65's only carry like 3-4 pairs of the things and he fired like 10+. Guess that's what happens with a few decades of technology. Hell, the E-wing had almost 2 dozen of the suckers only a handful of years later.

I thought they looked different from the torpedoes, but I guess I'll just have to pay more attention when I go see it for the 3rd time

boo

i would imagine a "crew tax" would be the cost of a turret. meaning it can only be active if theres a crew... i mean Poe did go over an assorted list of goodies (munitions) that were on the ship, but said them at a rate of speed i was only able to hear one or two, then imediately forget them.

and now the emperor'll Kallus'll be riding on one of them

or rebel captive; imagine!

just keeps getting better n better <_<

boo

and now the emperor'll Kallus'll be riding on one of them

or rebel captive; imagine!

just keeps getting better n better <_<

LOOK THE EMPIRE NEEDS A TURRET.... why not a 3 agility Tie fighter with crew?

bonus points for TLT Ruthlessness

Edited by Panic 217

Alright, we got a few ways to handle the turret issue

the dumbest way is a PWT (with Juke; ugh), so lets hope that never happens

the proper way to do it would be "Special Forces Tie" as the ship-type with

1. Tech
  2. Missiles
  3. Crew

with a "Tie/SF" title, which costs X points and replaces the [Crew] slot with a [Turret] slotwe

we'll call it the "TLT tax"

while 2-dice PWTs and TLTs are nothing new (re: K) their dials are pretty crap. Special Forces Tie with a crap dial would make less than no sense.

Auxiliary arc for sure. The wings are way too tall to fire over them and as far as I could tell the gun could face forward or backward but didn't do much if pointed in any other direction. I mean, it could swivel but I don't recall him ever firing straight up or down.  

I thinking it gets the auxiliary arc by default and maybe there's a crew member that does something cool with it. Not sure how to word a crewmember that lets you equip an HLC and fire it backwards but something crazy like that as a TIE/SF only crew upgrade. 

Alright, we got a few ways to handle the turret issue

the dumbest way is a PWT (with Juke; ugh), so lets hope that never happens

the proper way to do it would be "Special Forces Tie" as the ship-type with

1. Tech
  2. Missiles
  3. Crew

with a "Tie/SF" title, which costs X points and replaces the [Crew] slot with a [Turret] slotwe

we'll call it the "TLT tax"

while 2-dice PWTs and TLTs are nothing new (re: K) their dials are pretty crap. Special Forces Tie with a crap dial would make less than no sense.

could limit the title to be a turret with cost 5 or lower.

Even though it is a small ship they are getting very good at detail.  I would expect an expansion.

looking it over, now, I have to say:

the Tie/sf is more visually distinct from the Tie/FO than the Tie/FO is from the Tie/Ln

behold!

12360079_10156283641165142_8702738560556pTRU1-20797500dt.jpg