Sign in to follow this  
Firespray-32

If Asmodee Shuts Down Online Sales, Will You Still Buy?

A question for people who buy their X-Wing online: will you still buy it if Asmodee shuts down most online sales?

Being based in the UK the American LGS isn't very common (the demon we spawned in this country known as Games Workshop killed most of them) and I've bought exclusively from a small games shop in Oxford for years. If they prevent them from selling online I'm not going to Oxford every time I want to buy something. I'll just stop buying X-wing altogether, and the same is true of the rest of FFG's catalogue. We don't have Barnes and Noble over here, UK Amazon distribution is terrible, and there's no way in hell I'm paying travel costs on top of RRP (which is inflated in the UK by about 33%) for something I don't need.

Edited by Blue Five

Yes, just a little more slowly.

But I'm already buying more slowly than I was a year ago anyway. I learned a lesson from buying 3 Scyks that collect dust. I also win some local tourneys (or place high enough for some store credit/prize ships) so I get more ships that way. At this point, I try to buy 1 of each new ship, but I'm not even concerned about doing it right away tbh. But yea, if online sales are severely restricted, and prices go up, it will slow me down. But I'll keep buying.

Yes - about 90% of what I own for X-Wing has come from my FLGS.  I'm lucky to have a particularly excellent FLGS (Athena Games in Norwich, if you ever find yourself in the city it's well worth a look) who seem to have pretty much the whole X-Wing range in stock at any given time.

The only significant online purchases I've made have been the two Rebel Epic ships, as they were both very heftily discounted.

If online is still even a fraction of a cent cheaper than retail I'll still buy online to stretch my discretionary fund.

If retail exclusively becomes the cheaper option I'll probably get a B&N membership for their discount and coupons.

If prices go up at all compared to what I pay online now, I'll buy less.

I will. And I think I read in another thread that X-wing items should be mostly unaffected and that in regards to online sales they were speaking more about the Days of Wonder products than they were specifically about FFG products.

I'll still buy. I have used online discounters for some bulk orders in the past, but I'd be perfectly content if that we're no longer an option. I'll still buy from everywhere I can to encourage having the game out there. If that means a few more of my dollars go to locally-owned game stores I'm certainly not going to complain.

Just to be clear, you will still be able to buy X-wing online. There is no question of this. It's straight in the press releases. There may be brief drops in availability as Asmodee figures out coverage, but they don't want to lose buyers, so I have little doubt they'll find a way to offer their products online to you in the UK.

The question is whether or not smaller online distributers like Cool Stuff, Inc. and Miniature Market will be able to sell online (And offer such incredible discounts by doing so).

Way more slowly to almost not at all. I would only buy when there are "good" sales or pick up second hand ships. The big discounts are the only reason I have as many ships as I do. JUST CHECK MY SIG LINE!

Paying full retail or close to it will see a SIGNIFICANT reduction in my purchases! I just ordered two Gozantis a T70 and a n FO yesterday to get free shipping, plus I had $12 worth of points! Those kinds of purchases can only be made by me with the savings I get at MM!

Oddly enough I've purchased most from an LGS and only recently have been considering On-Line.  The difference can be anywhere from 15% to 20% and that adds up when I look at that X-Wing Inventory Excel spreadsheet.

So I really don't have any idea if this will impact me.

I too am wondering about MM and CSI.