Sign in to follow this  
nickv2002

Skirmish Errata for December 2015

1) Just bump up the cost of individual group or an escalating cost as you add more of the same group. (+2, +3 +4 etc.)  

Actually, errata-ing the cost of cards is a TERRIBLE way to fix things. Like Boba Rick mentions, casual players will either know about changes and use them, or not and it won't effect them much however a change is implemented, but for someone who wants to go to a tournament, if you show up at a tournament and are told the abilities of the figures in your list have changed without you knowing about it, that sucks, but you can adapt, you can still play and have fun. If you show up at a tournament and are told the point cost of  the figures in your list have changed without you knowing about it, you can't play. Your entire list needs to be rebuilt, which you may not have time for. You drove however far (I've heard of people driving for an hour to get to local store tourneys) just to watch other people having fun. And that will happen most every time someone goes to a tournament for the first time.

Well, you run into a lot more logistic issues with changes like this.  First of all, future buyers will have the correction?  Says who?  It for one is at least a 6 month production run.  Why not just limit it to 2 groups like I said?

Of course future buyers will have the corrections. I bought the IA core set maybe 3 months ago. Must have been a newer version than originally released because all of the older errata'd changes have been corrected, like specific wordings on mission cards and campaigns. "Rebel figure" instead of "hero" and so on.

1) Just bump up the cost of individual group or an escalating cost as you add more of the same group. (+2, +3 +4 etc.)  

Actually, errata-ing the cost of cards is a TERRIBLE way to fix things. Like Boba Rick mentions, casual players will either know about changes and use them, or not and it won't effect them much however a change is implemented, but for someone who wants to go to a tournament, if you show up at a tournament and are told the abilities of the figures in your list have changed without you knowing about it, that sucks, but you can adapt, you can still play and have fun. If you show up at a tournament and are told the point cost of  the figures in your list have changed without you knowing about it, you can't play. Your entire list needs to be rebuilt, which you may not have time for. You drove however far (I've heard of people driving for an hour to get to local store tourneys) just to watch other people having fun. And that will happen most every time someone goes to a tournament for the first time.

Sounds like a more terrible idea to have players figure out the new referring to sheets and FAQs checking costs and rule changes during the heat of battle vs just removing a group an officer at 2 at the start of the tourney- but your good for the rest of the day.  Imagine if novice player 1 plays novice player 2.  But plays veteran 1 in game 2, another novice in game 3 etc.

Toqtamish, on 23 Dec 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

Hijodecain, on 23 Dec 2015 - 04:09 AM, said:

Here in Spain we pay about 30€ per kit. We get this money paying a fee for each person inscribed on the tournament. And now I hope FFG don't change the usual content of the kits with those updated version of the cards. This content should be free and on addition to the usual content.

You have it for free. Download the PDF or copy and paste the new card images, print, cut with scissors(parental supervision advised) and done. OMG it is even the holidays so there is time to do all that. 

We paid good money for these miniatures.  They can make real cards available upon proof of purchase code.  with minimial shipping cost if that's an issue.

KennedyHawk, on 22 Dec 2015 - 2:17 PM, said:

Same response for me.

Thank you for contacting Fantasy Flight Games! We appreciate you taking the time to write us regarding the errata, concerning the cards found within the recent Imperial Assault FAQ. We appreciate the feedback and we to love hear the various viewpoints from all of our customers and fans.  We thank you for the support you have shown us to date and we love the fact that you are enjoying the creative work that we’ve made.  We wouldn’t be here without end users and players such as yourself.

While we understand where you are coming from, and keeping in line with current company standing and precedents, we currently have no plans at this point to provide full replacements of these cards in a stand alone product and/or replacement packs.

What we are planning on doing is providing these cards in our Organized Play products, such as, Tournament Kits and/or Store Champions.  Please do not worry about the availably of them within, as we plan on offering them as the more common card.  So, as the 2016 year unfolds, please head down to your local game store and request that they host and run our Organized Play events.  If they are in need of Tournament Kits, they can contact their distributor and order these products through them or contact us directly to acquire it.  If they run in to any issues, or have problems, please have them reach out to our sales team at Sales@FantasyFlightGames.com or they can contact us directly at CustomerService@FantasyFlightGames.com.  

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and appreciate your understanding and support. As always, please contact us directly if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

May the Force be with you.

And my store just told me they wouldn't order any more kits.

Awesome. Looks like I'm buying online from now on

great.  Another Ebay scalper item.

I dont get to play skrimish that often but I do it whenever i can and love it.

I like that FFG made a change to the cards themselves.

However, are these changes really enough? Here are my thoughts about the changes.

Take a look at the 4x4

They have lost a lot of mobility, but they are still very fast, getting a Royal Guard 7 spaces and being able to attack 9 spaces away, it is a difference against moving 10 and attacking 12 but it is still a lot. So still great speed.

The guards have lost the +1block but they still have 8 health each, still a lot of defence. 

Instead of +2 dmg they have gotten +1 dmg, which pierce 1 is in a lot of situations.

Officers feels fine with their change. Not much to comment for me.

4x4 still feels very viable and strong just because the models still synergise well with the movment and the multiple activations, the attacks are still strong from the royal guards and you get a lot of them.

The biggest concern is still the combination of stun, reach and speed 5. This combo means that Guards can run forward, do some damage, then back away out of melée or out of LOS and the opponent can not retaliate.

With Rebel sabs, others will probably spam the regulars for the cheap blast 1 instead of taking the elites is my guess.

Like I said, the changes are good just wondering if they are enough. 

I would have loved to see the regular deployment cards limited to 2, elites could have been 1, that would be fine with me, having 6 of the same card is not healthy for the diversity of the game, already people are talking about 6 smugglers, would that be fun really?

Edited by landoro

I have to wonder if the posters suggesting a point cost errata or deployment card restriction are taking not of the ire generated by players not getting replacement cards. Now imagine if that ire wasn't over replacement cards, but was instead about the fact that purchased models now are completely invalid.

It's one thing for the game to move past a list so that it isn't ideal, it's another for it to be made illegal in a way that models players purchased can simply no longer be played.

That is why FFG didn't alter the cost or legal number of deployment cards. They didn't want to say to players that had purchased the models for a 4 by 4 list that some of those models are simply not going to be useable any longer. Not when they had other ways of a dressing the issue.

FFG is going to handle it the way that they always have. New product will come with the new version of the cards. Setting a precedent of for replacing cards which have received errata will have a chilling effect on issuing new errata. If issuing errata costs them money, it will be even more rare than it is now.

FFG is going to handle it the way that they always have. New product will come with the new version of the cards. Setting a precedent of for replacing cards which have received errata will have a chilling effect on issuing new errata. If issuing errata costs them money, it will be even more rare than it is now.

Well, it ought to be rare and let's hope it is for future stuff. 

It sucks for people that do not have a viable tournament scene. I would pay for the updated cards, but I won't be able to get them as other people are me here do not play the game.

You will be able to get them. Every piece of promo material that FFG ever produces all ends up on Ebay. That is especially true of anything within one of the seasonal kits, partcipation cards always be readily and the most cheaply available.

only hard core players needed the change so overall this works. those who need it will find it. those who don't need it won't find it. however i do think FFG should put out an official printable PDF and if for some reason their license does not allow that they need to change their **** license.

Has a casual player I feel sorry for those who feel they need original cards to replace their existing ones, but for me it validates what I have been doing already in X-wing and Armada, if I want a card but not the model then I just copy the card, print it and paste it to a spare card that I don't use.  FFGs current solution should now silence my critics in the club and has I don't play on the tournament circuit this is a great solution for me.

Same response for me.

What we are planning on doing is providing these cards in our Organized Play products, such as, Tournament Kits and/or Store Champions.  Please do not worry about the availably of them within, as we plan on offering them as the more common card.  So, as the 2016 year unfolds, please head down to your local game store and request that they host and run our Organized Play events.  If they are in need of Tournament Kits, they can contact their distributor and order these products through them or contact us directly to acquire it.  If they run in to any issues, or have problems, please have them reach out to our sales team at Sales@FantasyFlightGames.com or they can contact us directly at CustomerService@FantasyFlightGames.com.  

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and appreciate your understanding and support. As always, please contact us directly if you have any further questions or concerns.

FFG should find a way to provide these cards to everyone. Didn't they make a big deal about their print-on-demand service?  I'd pay a nominal fee for replacement cards if it meant avoiding entering some kind of organized event.  I guess there's ebay, but I'd rather deal with FFG then some unknown seller.

Has a casual player I feel sorry for those who feel they need original cards to replace their existing ones, but for me it validates what I have been doing already in X-wing and Armada, if I want a card but not the model then I just copy the card, print it and paste it to a spare card that I don't use.  FFGs current solution should now silence my critics in the club and has I don't play on the tournament circuit this is a great solution for me.

I do this too.  It's a bit of a pain though because I don't have a decent printer at home...

Think replacement cards as and when should be included in the next available expansion boxset it wouldn't be hard to do eg:

Next Expansion from Return to Hoth will include the altered cards for the ones recently changed but you will only get the amount of cards that those came with in the initial print, the models for these characters would not come in new Expansion you would simply be getting the replacement cards and a new rule book with all the amendments printed

For those of you who printed the cards yourself, did you use a regular printer or did you use something more professional at a store like Staples?

How did you go about keeping track of other changes t other campaign for example? Did you add post-it notes to campaign pages?

I printed out the cards with a standard printer, cut the paper smaller than the original card, and slid it into a standard sleeve with the original card.  From the back, it looks no different than any other deployment card, which helps keep a few surprises from the Rebels, from the front it looks ok, printed in full colour, I'm happy with the results.

As for everything else, I've actually cut the spines off all the rule books and placed the individual pages into plastic sleeve booklets.   I have three booklets - one contains all the campaigns, the second all the rules, and the third all the 1 page figure expansion sheets.  The rule booklet also contains a printout of the FAQ, and I refer to that when necessary.

I am considering taking a marker to the campaign pages where I need to note that something has changed...

I printed out the cards with a standard printer, cut the paper smaller than the original card, and slid it into a standard sleeve with the original card.  From the back, it looks no different than any other deployment card, which helps keep a few surprises from the Rebels, from the front it looks ok, printed in full colour, I'm happy with the results.

As for everything else, I've actually cut the spines off all the rule books and placed the individual pages into plastic sleeve booklets.   I have three booklets - one contains all the campaigns, the second all the rules, and the third all the 1 page figure expansion sheets.  The rule booklet also contains a printout of the FAQ, and I refer to that when necessary.

I am considering taking a marker to the campaign pages where I need to note that something has changed...

Can you please show some pictures or share the product page to see what the "plastic sleeve booklets" look like in your case? Did you get them in Staples, if so which specific item?

Edited by robertpolson

Its just generic A4 sleeve booklets that I got from a stationary store.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzhF6tC0nV9BbmNsRzJpUVl1OVk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzhF6tC0nV9BREI2V3FpM1JyRVU/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzhF6tC0nV9BVldIUUNTX1R1cTg/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzhF6tC0nV9BTGNrWUtxUGlYM3c/view?usp=sharing

I'd realized that with frequent handling, the spine of the booklets was tearing by the staples, so I cut them to size, and slid them into sleeves.  My OCD does rage at the fact that the Twin Shadows rules are a fraction of the size of the others!  hehe.   I should warn you to be careful cutting though, there's a couple maps that are so big that they cross over the borders on the pages.  I did accidentally slice half a console from the one map...

The first booklet is the Rules booklet, it contains the Learn to Play, Rules Reference Guide, all the Expansion rules (Twin Shadows, Return to Hoth), and the FAQ.

The second booklet is the Campaign book, it contains the Campaign portions of all the rule books - Core game, Twin Shadows, Hoth.

The third booklet is all the single sheets from the figure packs, Rebel Saboteurs, General Veiss, Darth Vader, Bobba Fett, etc.    At the end of that book is the Skirmish rules starting with Page 1 from the back.

All three a pretty full, so I will be getting another one with the next expansions.

Edited by neosmagus