Sign in to follow this  
nickv2002

Skirmish Errata for December 2015

I'm afraid, they say they are going to provide on competitive tournaments on kits. So the new content of those kits is going to be 2 copies of a hero, 17 copies of a common card, medal, 20 tokens and updated cards??? because if they replace some of the usual items with the updated cards, then we are going to pay for them, tournaments kits are not free.

I'm afraid, they say they are going to provide on competitive tournaments on kits. So the new content of those kits is going to be 2 copies of a hero, 17 copies of a common card, medal, 20 tokens and updated cards??? because if they replace some of the usual items with the updated cards, then we are going to pay for them, tournaments kits are not free.

Don't tell FFG, as they don't understand that people actually pay to participate in tournaments. At least here in Denmark the stores want their cost covered.

Here is Spain we pay about 30€ per kit. We get this money paying a fee for each person inscribed on the tournament. And now I hope FFG don't change the usual content of the kits with those updated version of the cards. This content should be free and on addition to the usual content.

Here is Spain we pay about 30€ per kit. We get this money paying a fee for each person inscribed on the tournament. And now I hope FFG don't change the usual content of the kits with those updated version of the cards. This content should be free and on addition to the usual content.

It would definitely be nice if it was free, but it wouldn't really be any different than if they had printed those for OPKits anyways, would it? Besides demand perhaps being greater (or not, since now you don't need to get them to make 4x4).

I will tell you interesting thing. Stores actualy have to buy tournament kits from FFG, and they cost quite a lot, I tried starting tournaments locally and found it kinda cost prohibitive

I wouldn't say they cost "quite a lot". The normal tournament kits in the States are $20, the stores easily make that back by charging an entry to competitors. Are the players in your area not willing to pay to participate?

While I think most stores probably make the participant pay for the kit in one way or another, they could also easily cover the cost by being the hub for said game and nuturing the scene. I mean, if you get even just 1 more regular customer because of an OP kit, they'll pay you back 10 times or more over time.

Here in Spain we pay about 30€ per kit. We get this money paying a fee for each person inscribed on the tournament. And now I hope FFG don't change the usual content of the kits with those updated version of the cards. This content should be free and on addition to the usual content.

You have it for free. Download the PDF or copy and paste the new card images, print, cut with scissors(parental supervision advised) and done. OMG it is even the holidays so there is time to do all that. 

Edited by Toqtamish

Here in Spain we pay about 30€ per kit. We get this money paying a fee for each person inscribed on the tournament. And now I hope FFG don't change the usual content of the kits with those updated version of the cards. This content should be free and on addition to the usual content.

You have it for free. Download the PDF or copy and paste the new card images, print, cut with scissors(parental supervision advised) and done. OMG it is even the holidays so there is time to do all that. 

I just did it.  Yes, it hurt a little, but I think I'll be okay. 

This is good. 

Really, this is okay, this is good....

And we could all use quarters for stormtroopers and dimes for royal guards.  The point is that it would be nice to have "professional" quality items (cards) to use along with the other professionally made items that we paid for.  In reality, we don't need ANYTHING other than the rule book, which only one of us needs to buy and photocopy for the rest.  Or they could even rewrite them by hand.  It's nitpicky and obsessive, but there is really NO reason they can't reprint the corrected cards and reissue them in some way more accessible than as 'freebies' for the relatively few people who can play competitively.

And we could all use quarters for stormtroopers and dimes for royal guards.  The point is that it would be nice to have "professional" quality items (cards) to use along with the other professionally made items that we paid for.  In reality, we don't need ANYTHING other than the rule book, which only one of us needs to buy and photocopy for the rest.  Or they could even rewrite them by hand.  It's nitpicky and obsessive, but there is really NO reason they can't reprint the corrected cards and reissue them in some way more accessible than as 'freebies' for the relatively few people who can play competitively.

Yeah, but it ain't gonna happen.  I wonder how much a local print shop would charge to do something like this?

Yeah, but it ain't gonna happen.  I wonder how much a local print shop would charge to do something like this?

Shouldn't be very much at all. Heck a decent printer at home, sleeve the card with the original, call it a day. Get back to the tables and playing. 

This is melodramatic hyperbole and slippery slope argument to the max. Printing out 3 cards and gluing them to your existing copies is not equivalent to rewriting the rulebook by hand or using using coins instead of models. "Professional quality" is ink printed on dime-store playing card stock, it's not sorcery.

Also if you're not sleeving your deployment cards in campaign then your opponent already knows whether you're bringing mercenary units or not, and gluing the print out to the card would make it indistinguishable when face down.

I printed them and sleeved all my deployment cards.  It was a little bit of a bummer, but that's okay.  I'm a gaming OCD/ADD guy, but I managed to deal with it.  I'm such a completionist I bought the stupid stormtrooper villain pack because it was there.

At least it's nice to play with a smuggler before it arrives next year....

Edited by Boba Rick

This is melodramatic hyperbole and slippery slope argument to the max. Printing out 3 cards and gluing them to your existing copies is not equivalent to rewriting the rulebook by hand or using using coins instead of models. "Professional quality" is ink printed on dime-store playing card stock, it's not sorcery.

Also if you're not sleeving your deployment cards in campaign then your opponent already knows whether you're bringing mercenary units or not, and gluing the print out to the card would make it indistinguishable when face down.

I have printed my share of cards for other games in the past.  They are never nearly as good as the originals, even though they are very good quality for home-printed cards.  FF cards also have a texture to them that you aren't going to get by doing it yourself.  The point is you end up with a whole lot of high quality, matching items with a couple that are of far inferior quality.  Does it affect the play?  Likely not.  Does it affect the appearance, absolutely.  So honestly, if they put out a pack of these cards, a whole whopping 16 cards, and charged $3 for them would you pay it?

I'd pay it in a heartbeat.  But I'm someone who has 2 Core sets and multiple Saboteurs and has ordered 2 Banthas, etc.  I've never pulled back from paying a little extra to get all the stuff for the games that I love.  

I'd also happily pay money for printed vinyl copies of the skirmish maps.

I have printed my share of cards for other games in the past.  They are never nearly as good as the originals, even though they are very good quality for home-printed cards.  FF cards also have a texture to them that you aren't going to get by doing it yourself.  The point is you end up with a whole lot of high quality, matching items with a couple that are of far inferior quality.  Does it affect the play?  Likely not.  Does it affect the appearance, absolutely.  So honestly, if they put out a pack of these cards, a whole whopping 16 cards, and charged $3 for them would you pay it?

Are you kidding me???  I'd pay $10 bucks to get the real thing!

Are you kidding me???  I'd pay $10 bucks to get the real thing!

And that is the point, IMO.  Printing them out is all well and good (I did this today), but they look like crap compared to the real thing.  And again, I have some experience making pretty decent looking cards for HeroQuest that are double sided (two ply so excellent weight), sealed and corner-rounded.  But if we are all willing to pay a few bucks for the cards, they're insane for printing them only for competitors and not selling them to everyone else.  Again, the originals should be considered 'defective components' at this point, and subject to replacement.

Not a fan at all of the changes.  I understand this was a needed fix, but the cards were not errata'ed but basically rewritten!  Just look at all of the potential fixes for this- reissue, print on your home printer...  Imagine if you are a new player and just bought the core set and learned the rules.  They are adding A LOT of potential confusion.  I questing the play-testing the designers are doing. 

I think there was much easier ways to accomplish this without total card rewrites, 

1) Just bump up the cost of individual group or an escalating cost as you add more of the same group. (+2, +3 +4 etc.)  

2) Limit to 2 groups on your squad

Not a fan at all of the changes.  I understand this was a needed fix, but the cards were not errata'ed but basically rewritten!  Just look at all of the potential fixes for this- reissue, print on your home printer...  Imagine if you are a new player and just bought the core set and learned the rules.  They are adding A LOT of potential confusion.  I questing the play-testing the designers are doing. 

I think there was much easier ways to accomplish this without total card rewrites, 

1) Just bump up the cost of individual group or an escalating cost as you add more of the same group. (+2, +3 +4 etc.)  

2) Limit to 2 groups on your squad

I understand how you feel, but I think these changes are needed.  RGs and Sabs were out of whack.  The game is ONLY 11 or 12 months old - so fix it NOW.  Otherwise, they spend the next how-many-years making every single unit try to compensate for two that they messed up on when it came to the first release.

Serious skirmish players will know of the change and do what we are doing.  Sleeve, print, whine, buy tournament kits for the correct cards, etc.

Casual campaign players, unaware of the changes, can continue as they were and everything is okay. 

Casual skirmish players, unaware of the changes, will probably just try all kinds of combinations for fun and will either not notice how powerful the RGs and Sabs are or just play the number that are included in the core set.  If they play lots and lots they will eventually learn of this change.  Any game that I've really delved into I've wound up researching online. 

Future players will buy cores with the correct cards in them.

I used to think that the best solution was to gradually make all the other cards better though synergies, future expansion command cards, etc - but that honestly would be very volatile, unpredictable, and REQUIRE people to buy more to fix what was wrong in the core.  The beauty of this game is that there is so much without having to buy more. 

New game, great fix.  If it was a 3 year old game and they went back and fixed core pieces, that would be a whole other thing.

Edited by Boba Rick

Well, you run into a lot more logistic issues with changes like this.  First of all, future buyers will have the correction?  Says who?  It for one is at least a 6 month production run.  Why not just limit it to 2 groups like I said?

Well, you run into a lot more logistic issues with changes like this.  First of all, future buyers will have the correction?  Says who?  It for one is at least a 6 month production run.  Why not just limit it to 2 groups like I said?

Your idea would probably work, but personally I like this better because I like having the option of running four groups.

Future buyers will get the right cards because FFG uses print-on-demand, which if it's anything like book printing you can literally make changes on the fly.  I assuming that FFG isn't stupid and that they will change the cards now so that for the years to come people will get the right thing.  If they don't fix future core sets...  well, that would be really dumb.

Limiting to 2 groups doesnt change the fact that they are still overpowered for their cost. It would only make every (competitive) imperial list bring 2 RG+2 officers and fill the rest 20 points with something else (imo).

Yes it was a drastical change but it was really needed. Especially while its still a new game like Rick said