Sign in to follow this  
nickv2002

Skirmish Errata for December 2015

I recommend everyone contact Fantasy Flight Games through their online contact form (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/support/) to ask that new cards be printed that reflect the changes to figures' stats. That should bring our concerns to the company's attention much faster. I'm directing my message to the customer service department.

And I have a few suggestions to help make for the most effective petition to the company:

• First of all, be civil and polite. It doesn't cost anything and makes people more likely to listen.
  • Emphasize that you are and have been a customer for the product, and that you enjoy it.
  • Link to the errata announcement, in case the person receiving your message isn't familiar with the news.
  • If you feel the errata was needed, mention that.
  • Specify what the problem is and how you propose to fix it -- in this case, that the cards you have for these figures are no longer accurate and you want FFG to release (possibly at a nominal fee) corrected versions at the same production standards as the ones that you've already purchased.
And here is a sample message you can send, based on the one I just sent:

To whom it may concern:

I saw the news that several stat cards for figures in Fantasy Flight’s game, Star Wars Imperial Assault, were receiving changes to rebalance the game – the announcement is at https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/21/great-change-in-the-galaxy/.

I’ve been an enthusiastic supporter of Imperial Assault since its release. I think the changes made are all appropriate.

However, the changes leave me and other Imperial Assault players without accurate stat cards for several figures which will likely remain popular even with the changes. I could print out the new versions of the stat cards, but I couldn’t hope to match the quality of the cards produced by Fantasy Flight. With that in mind, I request Fantasy Flight print the new, corrected stat cards and make the corrected cards available as a standalone product. It would be the right thing to do for Imperial Assault’s loyal fans.

Sincerely,

(your name)

^Seconded

Another question: Why weren't the officers just given separate deployment cards for skirmish vs campaign like R2-D2 has?

I agree.  They've already come up with a mechanism for having different abilities in skirmish vs campaign, so why not take advantage of it? 

I'll definitely be printing, but as a slightly OCD purist, I'd really like the option to buy replacement cards.  They could get away with charging 50 cents to a buck each and I'd pay because I'm an addict.

Also, I just noticed some other less-significant cards have been errated errataed errata-ed changed as well:  https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/1a/39/1a395bad-7f8e-46ca-9352-bc540f35b959/swi_faq_v2_high_res.pdf

So... we nerf the reg officer and let gideon become the god of commanding?

And why is there a campaign nerf for rg? Argh...

You can't spam Gideon, so there's no need to nerf him, if anything the Imp Officers have been brought in line with him. He's a little better than them now but he's unique. Gideon is only crazy powerful in the campaign anyway.

I agree with you about the RG in campaign mode, their threat cost is so high you can't really abuse their abilities in mass like you can in skirmish. 

I am excited about this change and feel the game is much more balanced now. 

The last campaign mission I played I had one group of Royal Guards that had a hero pinned with stuns the whole mission.  I was able to heal them and he wasn't ever able to get over the hump.  Now with protector changed, that is fixed.

Good to see the IO at 2 movement points where he should always have been.  He's still a very good unit that provides a ton of flexibility and some scary command cards.  Also, I've seen IOs put out some healthy damage numbers if they are able to get on the focus train.

The key here is that they've unlocked the design space.  The RG/IO/Sab trifecta was a nasty situation that didn't leave much wiggle room.  Now, I suspect we will see a lot more troopers because Stun is still very powerful, but at least we don't have to feel bad for not playing a 4x4 or SabSpam list.

Another question: Why weren't the officers just given separate deployment cards for skirmish vs campaign like R2-D2 has?

I agree.  They've already come up with a mechanism for having different abilities in skirmish vs campaign, so why not take advantage of it? 

I think its because the ability has the same name.  Where as with different skirmish and campaign cards, they have different abilities. 

Im glad for you guys that they fixed the skirmish problem *without relying on power creep.

I'm not convinced this changes anything in campaign. I mean, its a skirmish update and we already have cards with different text for skirmish.

Well I'm happy with all the changes, I've printed pdf copies of the cards but I'd really like to get new cards to replace these: I followed the above advice and sent FFG customer service an e-mail I recommend everyone does.

I have three ideas for bringing out these cards. I've placed them in my order of preference.

A) Create a 16 card print on demand pack that includes errata'd copies of 4x Reg. Royal Guard, Officers, and Saboteurs and 2x Elite Royal Guards and Saboteurs. Print on demand decks are popular in LOTR LCG so they should be able to work this out for Imperial Assault priced around $5.

B) Create a skirmish upgrade pack meant to enhance the core set. This would give people access to more builds right away. This could include 2x Regular of each generic unit, and 1x Elite of each generic unit. This is less ideal as those of us with multiple cores get a lot of dead weight. It does open a lot of builds to newer players though. Currently in the core you get 1 Elite and Regular copy of Royal Guards, Trandoshans etc, this would let you take one core set and run 2 elite royal guards etc. This pack would probably be more expensive maybe about $10-15. I'd like to see something like this come out once a year allowing people to get all the core, twin shadows and hoth generics in duplicate without buying 2-3 copies of return to hoth.  I'd love to run 4 regular Wampas, but I will not be buying 4 copies of return to hoth to do so. If you wanted to get fancy it could include a booklet showing all the skirmish maps from that year in one place rather than carrying many loose sheets.

C) Create alt art variations of these 5 errata'd cards. This is less ideal as it's take 2-3 game night kits to distribute them. On top of that many stores don't even purchase the game night kits so a lot of people are out in the cold having to scalp off of ebay.

Just my ideas and 2 cents.

Wait wait... Whats the speed for regular sabotuers?

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/1a/39/1a395bad-7f8e-46ca-9352-bc540f35b959/swi_faq_v2_high_res.pdf  

Speed 4, but the replacement card says speed 5

But here.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/21/great-change-in-the-galaxy/

Speed is 4 and the replacement card is 4.

I guess 4, think the need to fix something.

Also I wanted to recap the changes and see if I understand everything:

• Elite officer is unchanged
  • Regular officer is unchanged in campaign but only grants to movement points in Skirmish (all targeting figures within 2 spaces)
  • Regular Royal guards lose their surge for 2 damage and gain a surge for Pierce 1. Protector and Vengeance now only help with non-Guardian figures.
  • Elite royal guards kept the surge for +1 damage but Forward Vengeance now only triggers off of non-Guardians same for  Protector (now called Sentinel)
  • These royal guard changes are in effect in the campaign as well!!!
  • Regular Saboteurs have had their Pierce 2 reduced to Pierce 1. They also lost one point of speed.
  • Elite Saboteurs have has their Blast 2 reduced to Blast 1.
  • These Saboteur changes effect both skirmish and campaign!
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but is this the first time and elite and regular unit have different speeds? I'm thinking they realized 8 5 speed figures for 20 points is too good for any unit (expect hired guns ;) )

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/1a/39/1a395bad-7f8e-46ca-9352-bc540f35b959/swi_faq_v2_high_res.pdf  

But here.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/21/great-change-in-the-galaxy/

Regular has a speed of 4, but the elites are 5. 

But here.

Those are the original cards in the FAQ, not replacements.

Luke was already the way to go, I just got a little too aggressive with him at a key moment in the top 8 lol.

I got too aggressive with him in Round 3, and that ended up costing me admission to the Top 16! #22 here.

But here.

Those are the original cards, not replacements.

Also I wanted to recap the changes and see if I understand everything:

• Elite officer is unchanged
  • Regular officer is unchanged in campaign but only grants to movement points in Skirmish (all targeting figures within 2 spaces)
  • Regular Royal guards lose their surge for 2 damage and gain a surge for Pierce 1. Protector and Vengeance now only help with non-Guardian figures.
  • Elite royal guards kept the surge for +1 damage but Forward Vengeance now only triggers off of non-Guardians same for  Protector (now called Sentinel)
  • These royal guard changes are in effect in the campaign as well!!!
  • Regular Saboteurs have had their Pierce 2 reduced to Pierce 1. They also lost one point of speed.
  • Elite Saboteurs have has their Blast 2 reduced to Blast 1.
  • These Saboteur changes effect both skirmish and campaign!
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but is this the first time and elite and regular unit have different speeds? I'm thinking they realized 8 5 speed figures for 20 points is too good for any unit (expect hired guns ;) )

Protector hasn't changed, they just replaced it on both Royal Guards with Sentinel, which is the same ability but only effects Non-Guardian figures. Protector on Chewbacca is unchanged.

Edited by Radarman5

Just got an email from FFG Customer Service: updated cards will be the participation prizes in upcoming Tournament Kits.

I'm fine with this. I can print out cards until the kits arrive.

Oh well.  I guess I'm sleeving my cards like all you other nerds now.  ;-)

Hey all - I had reached out to FFG customer support regarding the replacement cards and here is the response:

Thank you for contacting Fantasy Flight Games! We appreciate you taking the time to write us regarding the errata, concerning the cards found within the recent Imperial Assault FAQ. We appreciate the feedback and we to love hear the various viewpoints from all of our customers and fans.  We thank you for the support you have shown us to date and we love the fact that you are enjoying the creative work that we’ve made.  We wouldn’t be here without end users and players such as yourself.

While we understand where you are coming from, and keeping in line with current company standing and precedents, we currently have no plans at this point to provide full replacements of these cards in a stand alone product and/or replacement packs.

What we are planning on doing is providing these cards in our Organized Play products, such as, Tournament Kits and/or Store Champions.  Please do not worry about the availably of them within, as we plan on offering them as the more common card.  So, as the 2016 year unfolds, please head down to your local game store and request that they host and run our Organized Play events.  If they are in need of Tournament Kits, they can contact their distributor and order these products through them or contact us directly to acquire it.  If they run in to any issues, or have problems, please have them reach out to our sales team at Sales@FantasyFlightGames.com or they can contact us directly at CustomerService@FantasyFlightGames.com.  

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and appreciate your understanding and support. As always, please contact us directly if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

May the Force be with you.

Regards,

Fantasy Flight Games Customer Service Team
customerservice@fantasyflightgames.com