Sign in to follow this  
nickv2002

Skirmish Errata for December 2015

Woah: huge number of skirmish changes for both Rebels and Imperials:

This basically means a whole new metagame.

Thoughts?

--------------------------------

Update: FFG has been responding to contacts saying that updated cards will be provided in upcoming Organized Play products such as Tournament Kits.

In the meantime: here's a PDF of the new cards released on 12/21 for you to print (I had extra space so I threw in the Smuggler too).  It's sized to print on 8.5x11" paper at 100%.

Edited by nickv2002

Another question: Why weren't the officers just given separate deployment cards for skirmish vs campaign like R2-D2 has?

I think I'd prefer that template for the cards if I was going to get/make physical versions.  The existing one can be the Campaign card and the new one with 2 movement points will be the skirmish one.

Edited by nickv2002

Yeah, the amount of changes for the Royal Guard deployment cards; you'll have to keep a copy of the FAQ whenever you play. I wish there was a way to get new copies of the cards.

That, and the change with the regular officers.

It's going to be a interesting change in the meta.

Edited by ArchangelTwo

The elite E-Web will be less powerful, as it relied on the Officers' orders.

OTOH the errata only causes 1 move point lost per order on an elite E-web as opposed to 3 on a royal guard or 2 on most other things.

Vader will be worse. He synergized well with both Royal Guards and regular Officers.

Vader's not a Guardian, so he still benefits from Sentinel.

Regular Royal guards won't be able to utterly smash white-die users anymore, which should help the Rebels there.

What normally happens in a situation like this?

The only other situation I've encountered with an errata like this it was done as an entire re-release of the game. Of course that was a game made and marketed by an individual rather than a company. I very much doubt that's what's going to happen here. I'd call new figure packs as the most likely way to distribute the cards.

Malifaux reprinted their cards when they made the new edition.

But all in all, they avoided the power creep path and decided to fix what's broken in the original game.

Edited by batman14

I really hope they give us a way to get updated cards.  I understand the game needed it, but having to refer to something else just starts to make the game more of a hassle to play.  Hopefully they will address how they plan to fix this issue very soon.

I recommend everyone contact Fantasy Flight Games through their online contact form (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/contact/support/) to ask that new cards be printed that reflect the changes to figures' stats. That should bring our concerns to the company's attention much faster. I'm directing my message to the customer service department.

And I have a few suggestions to help make for the most effective petition to the company:

• First of all, be civil and polite. It doesn't cost anything and makes people more likely to listen.
  • Emphasize that you are and have been a customer for the product, and that you enjoy it.
  • Link to the errata announcement, in case the person receiving your message isn't familiar with the news.
  • If you feel the errata was needed, mention that.
  • Specify what the problem is and how you propose to fix it -- in this case, that the cards you have for these figures are no longer accurate and you want FFG to release (possibly at a nominal fee) corrected versions at the same production standards as the ones that you've already purchased.

And here is a sample message you can send, based on the one I just sent:

To whom it may concern:

I saw the news that several stat cards for figures in Fantasy Flight’s game, Star Wars Imperial Assault, were receiving changes to rebalance the game – the announcement is at https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/21/great-change-in-the-galaxy/.

I’ve been an enthusiastic supporter of Imperial Assault since its release. I think the changes made are all appropriate.

However, the changes leave me and other Imperial Assault players without accurate stat cards for several figures which will likely remain popular even with the changes. I could print out the new versions of the stat cards, but I couldn’t hope to match the quality of the cards produced by Fantasy Flight. With that in mind, I request Fantasy Flight print the new, corrected stat cards and make the corrected cards available as a standalone product. It would be the right thing to do for Imperial Assault’s loyal fans.

Sincerely,

(your name)

Edited by Leveton

Having digested this for a little bit, I have a couple of follow-up thoughts.

1. In total, these changes represent a huge boost to trooper lists. Royal Guards are much more in line with other figures now, and trooper lists don't have to fear elite Saboteurs' Blast 2 anymore.
  2. Combat Suit, whether Elite Hoth Troopers' built-in ability or the skirmish upgrade, just got a lot better with Royal Guards trading a +2 damage surge ability for Pierce 1 and regular Saboteurs' Pierce 2 dropping to Pierce 1.
Edited by Leveton

I guess the easy way for FFG to do this would to be to release Royal Guard and Imperial Officer packs, hopefully with 2 or more copies of each deployment card to replace the old ones. Plus it would allow people to buy more of these units aside from secondary markets or buying a second core set. The Rebels Saboteurs though...I don't seem them getting the corrected cards outside of the reprints.