Sign in to follow this  
TalosX

Homemade Attachments

Okay this idea spawned from a thought I had regarding a discussion on the Rebels Ghost and the VCX-100 capabilities as written.  Many have said that a Sil 5 ship couldn't pull the maneuvers the Ghost has been seen performing.  So I had a thought that maybe the Rebels GM has allowed Hera to install a homemade Attachment to the Ghost allowing it access to maneuvers as if 1 Sil smaller (Sil 4).

This in turn got me thinking about other Attachments we've seen to ships, weapons, armor, etc. that really hasn't been represented yet.  So I was curious if anyone has come up with their own Attachments/Mods for there games?

High-Performance Maneuvering Thrusters

Enhanced maneuvering thrusters allow starships to conduct maneuvers normally thought impossible.

Base Modifiers:  Allows a ship to perform maneuvers and actions as if silhouette is one step smaller.  Reduce System Strain Threshold by 1.

Modification Options:  None

Hard Points:  2

Price:  6000 credits

Stygium Cloaking Device

Based on a freighter-mounted cloaking device used by the Republic during the Clone Wars.  This cloaking device renders a ship nearly undetectable, except for a slight shimmering distortion.  A smaller version was later adapted for use in the TIE Phantom.  While Sienar Fleet Systems closely guarded the new Phantoms cloaking schematics, a disgruntled employee managed to sneak the original plans for the freighter cloaking device out, and sell them to a subsidiary of Corellian Engineering.  Since then, a select few of the systems have been produced off the books and sold for a substantial profit.

Base Modifiers:  Activating the cloak requires the Pilot spend an action.  Once activated, the cloaking device makes the ship nearly undetectable, requiring anyone attempting to spot the ship make a Daunting (4x Difficulty) Perception or Vigilance check.  Once detected, any attacks made vs the cloaked ship count as if its silhouette were 0.  While the cloak is active, speed is reduced by 3, and the ship can not use active sensors, communications, weapons, or shields.  The pilot can turn off the cloak by spending a maneuver.  Due to size limitations and power requirements, the cloaking device can only be mounted on Sil 4 ships.

Modification Options:  None

Hard Points:  3

Price:  200,000 credits

Edited by TalosX

I've thought about the Sil 5 thing and wouldn't that stealth coating that treats a ship as 1 Sil smaller during combat also allow a Sil 5 to pull off Sil 4 maneuvers?

I mostly wanted to get a Gozanti to function at Sil 4 so it would still only have two shield arcs effectively (thus allowing the port and starboard shield values to be transferred elsewhere), and be allowed to dictate where incoming fire went, rather than being at the mercy of its attackers.

I've thought about the Sil 5 thing and wouldn't that stealth coating that treats a ship as 1 Sil smaller during combat also allow a Sil 5 to pull off Sil 4 maneuvers?

I mostly wanted to get a Gozanti to function at Sil 4 so it would still only have two shield arcs effectively (thus allowing the port and starboard shield values to be transferred elsewhere), and be allowed to dictate where incoming fire went, rather than being at the mercy of its attackers.

The Nightshadow Coating only reduces your Sil by 1 for being targeted in combat, due to the reduced radar signature.  I don't see how radar absorbent paint is going to improve your maneuvering capability.  It also wouldn't reduce your actual size, so you'd still have 4 arcs.

Edited by TalosX

I like your simpler take on the thrusters, my own was a bit harsher on the players. I'd still add in a System Strain Threshold reduction (or add a Strain cost to perform those maneuvers and actions, like 1 or 2). Also: shouldn't it say maneuvers and actions ? Like, you know, Gain the Advantage?

The Nightshadow Coating only reduces your Sil by 1 for being targeted in combat, due to the reduced radar signature.  I don't see how radar absorbent paint is going to improve your maneuvering capability.  It also wouldn't reduce your actual size, so you'd still have 4 arcs.

That's exactly my point though. As far as their targeting system is concerned you're small enough and maneuverable enough to only give them 1 of 2 arcs to fire on. The other 2 become dead weight due to game mechanics so while those arcs still exist, you can transfer the power to the front or rear. 

You don't physically become any faster or quicker turning, but the paint coating delays their targeting computer into thinking you are. (To the targeting computer it'd look like you were darting from one spot to another due to the delay, much like a laggy player in an FPS game.) Theoretically if they shut it off and aimed 100% manually I could see the effect being nullified. But otherwise the targeting systems are just going to be fighting the gunner the whole time, feeding false information and thus giving false leads. 

Basically rather than buffing yourself to function as a Sil 4, you're debuffing your opponent's systems into thinking you're a Sil 4. Which is why it only works during combat, outside of combat they wouldn't have any tracking software active trying to lock onto you, it'd be all eyesight. 

I imagine the opponent's pilot would be pretty ticked off as to why the gunner was never getting shots off until after the lumbering mass managed to move into a favorable position to take the hit, because they wouldn't be hampered by the targeting system, they're just flying.

Unless you were getting at that it wouldn't help you be able to Gain the Advantage or something, in which case I would agree with you. Unless the ship you were trying to gain the advantage on had no means of manual eyesight, say if all their external viewing was through ships sensors, then they'd be effected the same as the targeting computer. But that'd be a rare and plot related occasion. 

Edited by ladyjulianne

I like your simpler take on the thrusters, my own was a bit harsher on the players. I'd still add in a System Strain Threshold reduction (or add a Strain cost to perform those maneuvers and actions, like 1 or 2). Also: shouldn't it say maneuvers and actions ? Like, you know, Gain the Advantage?

Hmm, the System Strain Threshold reduction does make sense.  I'd probably reduce SST by 1.  Forgot all about Gain the Advantage.  Changes are updated.

That's exactly my point though. As far as their targeting system is concerned you're small enough and maneuverable enough to only give them 1 of 2 arcs to fire on. The other 2 become dead weight due to game mechanics so while those arcs still exist, you can transfer the power to the front or rear. 

You don't physically become any faster or quicker turning, but the paint coating delays their targeting computer into thinking you are. (To the targeting computer it'd look like you were darting from one spot to another due to the delay, much like a laggy player in an FPS game.) Theoretically if they shut it off and aimed 100% manually I could see the effect being nullified. But otherwise the targeting systems are just going to be fighting the gunner the whole time, feeding false information and thus giving false leads. 

Basically rather than buffing yourself to function as a Sil 4, you're debuffing your opponent's systems into thinking you're a Sil 4. Which is why it only works during combat, outside of combat they wouldn't have any tracking software active trying to lock onto you, it'd be all eyesight. 

I imagine the opponent's pilot would be pretty ticked off as to why the gunner was never getting shots off until after the lumbering mass managed to move into a favorable position to take the hit, because they wouldn't be hampered by the targeting system, they're just flying.

Unless you were getting at that it wouldn't help you be able to Gain the Advantage or something, in which case I would agree with you. Unless the ship you were trying to gain the advantage on had no means of manual eyesight, say if all their external viewing was through ships sensors, then they'd be effected the same as the targeting computer. But that'd be a rare and plot related occasion. 

You seem to be confused about what Nightshadow Coating is actually doing.  It's not "delaying" what the sensors or targeting system can see.  It's actually identical to a real-world stealth technology, radar absorbent coating.  Essentially all it is doing is decreasing your radar cross-section.  This means you appear to be a bit smaller then you actually are.  While you appear smaller, you are still exactly where their sensors say you are.  Nothing is being delayed, or suddenly zipping around their sensor displays.  There are no false leads.

What you're describing is actually sensor jamming, and would involve a sophisticated electronic warfare system.  While that's a good idea for a ship Attachment, it isn't something a special paint job can accomplish.

Edited by TalosX

Is it BtR that provides some modifications for small airspeeders, like enhanced maneuvering thrusters, which could presumably have something similar done for larger ships?

Are you interested in only modifications and attachments for ships, or also for personal items?

Is it BtR that provides some modifications for small airspeeders, like enhanced maneuvering thrusters, which could presumably have something similar done for larger ships?

Are you interested in only modifications and attachments for ships, or also for personal items?

You can definitely post personal scale weapon/armor Attachments.  I'd love to see a running list of what other players/GMs have come up with in their games.

You seem to be confused about what Nightshadow Coating is actually doing.  It's not "delaying" what the sensors or targeting system can see.  It's actually identical to a real-world stealth technology, radar absorbent coating.  Essentially all it is doing is decreasing your radar cross-section.  This means you appear to be a bit smaller then you actually are.  While you appear smaller, you are still exactly where their sensors say you are.  Nothing is being delayed, or suddenly zipping around their sensor displays.  There are no false leads.

What you're describing is actually sensor jamming, and would involve a sophisticated electronic warfare system.  While that's a good idea for a ship Attachment, it isn't something a special paint job can accomplish.

More I'm attempting to explain what the coating says it does and how that interacts with the game's mechanics, but in game rather than metagame. The mod to the coating states "Reduce the ship's silhouette by 1 in combat". That means somehow the ship now functions as if it were a Sil smaller during combat. So a Sil 5 ship would now have the same actions available as a Sil 4, its firing arcs and defense arcs would become the same as a Sil 4. It defends the same as a Sil 4. Because for all intents and purposes, during combat, it is a Sil 4 ship. 

It may be based on real life coatings that absorb the radar signature, but there's no reason a sci-fi upgrade to that coating couldn't instead of absorbing and not reflecting the signature, absorb and reflect it a few milliseconds later, cause the signature to pass through a layer of material that slows the speed of the signature before it reflects off the hull, much like light will travel slower through certain mediums than others.

All the book says about it is that it's a sensor baffling coating, it doesn't say how it does so, but it does say what the effect the coating has is. So unless there's another way to interpret "Reduce the ship's silhouette by 1 in combat", the only explanation I can think of is that it's not a simple stealth coating that does nothing but make your ship appear smaller on sensors. The base coating may be, with it's increased difficulty to spot at long range, but not the mod to it. 

The other interpretation would be that it only effects the difficulty to hit based on Sil, but then the mod would (should) say something to the effect of "Reduce the ship's silhouette by 1 on the silhouette comparison chart" or "Reduce the ship's silhouette by 1 for determining difficulty of a combat check", a far more specific point in time than the more generic "in combat" that it actually reads as. Because even changing the wording to "during an attack" or "during a combat check" would have the same result of now being able to chose defending  hull zone (though it would remove Sil specific maneuvers as options, so would be closer to what you've described) because hull zone targeting is done in the same attack phase as comparing Sil for difficulty. 

Edited by ladyjulianne

More I'm attempting to explain what the coating says it does and how that interacts with the game's mechanics, but in game rather than metagame. The mod to the coating states "Reduce the ship's silhouette by 1 in combat". That means somehow the ship now functions as if it were a Sil smaller during combat. So a Sil 5 ship would now have the same actions available as a Sil 4, its firing arcs and defense arcs would become the same as a Sil 4. It defends the same as a Sil 4. Because for all intents and purposes, during combat, it is a Sil 4 ship. 

It may be based on real life coatings that absorb the radar signature, but there's no reason a sci-fi upgrade to that coating couldn't instead of absorbing and not reflecting the signature, absorb and reflect it a few milliseconds later, cause the signature to pass through a layer of material that slows the speed of the signature before it reflects off the hull, much like light will travel slower through certain mediums than others.

All the book says about it is that it's a sensor baffling coating, it doesn't say how it does so, but it does say what the effect the coating has is. So unless there's another way to interpret "Reduce the ship's silhouette by 1 in combat", the only explanation I can think of is that it's not a simple stealth coating that does nothing but make your ship appear smaller on sensors. The base coating may be, with it's increased difficulty to spot at long range, but not the mod to it. 

The other interpretation would be that it only effects the difficulty to hit based on Sil, but then the mod would (should) say something to the effect of "Reduce the ship's silhouette by 1 on the silhouette comparison chart" or "Reduce the ship's silhouette by 1 for determining difficulty of a combat check", a far more specific point in time than the more generic "in combat" that it actually reads as. Because even changing the wording to "during an attack" or "during a combat check" would have the same result of now being able to chose defending  hull zone (though it would remove Sil specific maneuvers as options, so would be closer to what you've described) because hull zone targeting is done in the same attack phase as comparing Sil for difficulty. 

Except there is absolutely no precedent for what you're suggesting.  While what I'm ruling the coating does is mirrored in several ships that already utilize stealth/ECM technologies.  There is no precedent for your interpretation.  Your debating it is something new and never before seen anywhere else, rather then it was short-hand writing for an effect that's already well documented!  You're more then welcome to put the question to the Devs for errata, but I'm very confident they'll tell you the same thing.

That being said, you're more then welcome to run the game how you like.  If your interpretation of the coating makes the game more enjoyable for you, then you should use it and have fun.  After all, that's why we all play/support the Star Wars game isn't it!  :)

Edited by TalosX

Having said that I actually thought of an engine attachment with almost the exact same name and cost as yours except it increased handling by 1 rather than effecting Sil, this was before I knew about the Rigger though. I found it strange you had an option to increase speed but no option to increase handling. Part of me still feels the attachment should exist though. 

Also the idea of a gunnery droid brain appeals to me. 

Gunnery Droid Brain

Go-Corp has done it again and rolled out the CD-15r, a gunner droid brain. Capable of targeting and firing any single weapon group needed to fire on a designated target, the CD-15r can help out a lone pilot in a firefight by taking on the duty of manning a turret. Alternatively a suite of CD-15r's can fill in for several gunners on a larger ship owned by a captain with more credits than crew. 

Base Modifiers: Droid brain can perform Gunnery checks for shipboard weapons with a Gunnery skill of 2 and an Agility of 0 (if unassisted, it rolls [G][G] for Gunnery checks).

Modification Options: 2 Increase the droid brain's Gunnery skill by 1 Mods.

Hard Points Required: 0

Price: 8,000 credits

In theory the same concept could be applied to any skill that could apply, if a part of the ship is connected to the computer, it could probably get a droid brain to control it. A Mechanics droid brain would be somewhat limited but could be used to bypass burned out circuits (Damage Control for system strain only) or boosting shields. An EWAR droid brain could Jam or Slice enemy systems. In each case it'd be a skill 2 ability 0, with 2 mods to increase skill by 1 each. Even things like an information database droid brain could be done for each knowledge skill (or all in one brain depending on GM/price), so it may not require a direct comparison to the ship but just be something to interact with on the ship. In some cases getting a physical droid may be a technically better option (like a medic droid) but *shrug*

Having said that I actually thought of an engine attachment with almost the exact same name and cost as yours except it increased handling by 1 rather than effecting Sil, this was before I knew about the Rigger though. I found it strange you had an option to increase speed but no option to increase handling. Part of me still feels the attachment should exist though. 

Gunnery Droid Brain

Go-Corp has done it again and rolled out the CD-15r, a gunner droid brain. Capable of targeting and firing any single weapon group needed to fire on a designated target, the CD-15r can help out a lone pilot in a firefight by taking on the duty of manning a turret. Alternatively a suite of CD-15r's can fill in for several gunners on a larger ship owned by a captain with more credits than crew. 

Base Modifiers: Droid brain can perform Gunnery checks for shipboard weapons with a Gunnery skill of 2 and an Agility of 0 (if unassisted, it rolls [G][G] for Gunnery checks).

In theory the same concept could be applied to any skill that could apply, if a part of the ship is connected to the computer, it could probably get a droid brain to control it. A Mechanics droid brain would be somewhat limited but could be used to bypass burned out circuits (Damage Control for system strain only) or boosting shields. An EWAR droid brain could Jam or Slice enemy systems. In each case it'd be a skill 2 ability 0, with 2 mods to increase skill by 1 each. Even things like an information database droid brain could be done for each knowledge skill (or all in one brain depending on GM/price), so it may not require a direct comparison to the ship but just be something to interact with on the ship. In some cases getting a physical droid may be a technically better option (like a medic droid) but *shrug*

Although neat and cool, I can't see allowing this.  It almost completely mitigates the point of a crew.  For the enterprising scoundrel, simply buy/steal a Gozanti, outfit it with a bunch of these brains (one for every weapons system), and fill out the rest of the hard points with more gun/brain combos.  Now pirate the hell out of everyone all by your onesies, savvy?

Gunnery Droid Brain

Although neat and cool, I can't see allowing this.  It almost completely mitigates the point of a crew.  For the enterprising scoundrel, simply buy/steal a Gozanti, outfit it with a bunch of these brains (one for every weapons system), and fill out the rest of the hard points with more gun/brain combos.  Now pirate the hell out of everyone all by your onesies, savvy?

they dont have any hard point cost? even half? or a quater, that be what I change right there. A droid brain is going to end up straining the ships power systems eventually. 

Gunnery Droid Brain

Oh their usefulness as far as balance is totally up in the air and would depend on a playgroup. But if your group does want a large ship but no one really wants to deal with having a bunch of NPCs running around, this would be an alternative. Personally my group is big enough we actually can crew a Gozanti and it's been discussed lol, but it still seemed like an option that was lacking considering the two that already existed. 

And yea the reason they take no hardpoints is because the two that exist already don't. Even then the things that take hardpoints in this game is silly sometimes. You should absolutely not need a hardpoint to have a radio on your ship or a second hardpoint to carry a crate of Merlot for your crew. If there isn't a large physical component to the attachment/upgrade, it should not use a hardpoint. I have suggested elsewhere that "softpoints" become a thing though, the software/computer mirror to hardpoints. If those became a thing, by all means give droid brains a softpoint cost. 

Gunnery Droid Brain

While I don't know if you'd need a specific droid brain for each weapon system, automated weapons have existed for a very long time.  I never understood why the Separatists who relied on droids would bother using them on ships to man the turrets.  I mean why not just automate the turrets to begin with?  The vulture droid fighters were a great example.  They didn't put battledroids in fighters, they just turned the fighter into a droid.  Why not just automate all the weapons aboard their ships?

EDIT: I'd like to point out there is already a precedent for such a system.  The "Ground Buzzer" Surface Defense Blaster in Flying Casual is an automated anti-personnel blaster for the ship.  It's automated skills are Ranged (Heavy) 2 and Agility 0.  Obviously it benefits alot if a player assists with targeting, but it can fire without any assistance.

Edited by TalosX

You can definitely post personal scale weapon/armor Attachments.  I'd love to see a running list of what other players/GMs have come up with in their games.

The only attachment I’ve come up with so far is the “Telescoping Shaft” that allows you to use two-handed weapons in a one-handed manner, so a Wookiee (with two arms) could use a pair of Vibro-axes with Two Weapon Combat.

You’d probably want to have them reduce the damage of the weapon slightly, to account for the lesser amount of leverage that you’d be able to get with just one hand on the weapon versus two hands. At that point, with regards to game mechanics a vibro-axe would function identically to a vibro-sword, it would just be flavored differently.

Another idea would be to make a “two headed” attachment, so that one end is something like a vibro-axe while the other end is something like a force pike, but they share the same power systems and telescoping shaft.

With that kind of a weapon, if you were to roll a Despair, the results could be quite nasty depending on which end you were holding in your hands.

But I never wrote up any kind of official entry for these things.

Edited by bradknowles

Mechanically, this functions much like the existing droid brains, in that it has points of skill but no points of attribute. You’d need to pair it up with a PC who had attributes to contribute, and that could make for a pretty good combination for a PC craft.

You could do better just as a result of buying some old combat droids that do have both skill and attributes, and have them sit in the gunnery seat.

This kind of thing makes a much better “skilled assistant” than anything else.

So, not game-breaking, and pirating by your onesies would be stupidly dangerous.

Gunnery Droid Brain

Actually, this already exists in the same books as the other brains (can't remember the exacts, AFB).  It's already attached to a defense weapon (personal scale) for 1 hp.  Since adding a weapon is 1 hp, by example of the other droid brains and the fact that the add an additional hp to the 1 hp weapon is pretty easy to guess the brain itself costs 0 hp.

We did the same thing in our game, never been a problem.

Edited by Jareth Valar

Mechanically, this functions much like the existing droid brains, in that it has points of skill but no points of attribute. You’d need to pair it up with a PC who had attributes to contribute, and that could make for a pretty good combination for a PC craft.

You could do better just as a result of buying some old combat droids that do have both skill and attributes, and have them sit in the gunnery seat.

This kind of thing makes a much better “skilled assistant” than anything else.

So, not game-breaking, and pirating by your onesies would be stupidly dangerous.

Now what would be really good is to buy and max out one of these to Skill 4 and pair it with a bought combat droid that has a decent Ability score. Sure it'll cost twice as much but it still lets you keep your PCs elsewhere for other jobs. 

Now what would be really good is to buy and max out one of these to Skill 4 and pair it with a bought combat droid that has a decent Ability score. Sure it'll cost twice as much but it still lets you keep your PCs elsewhere for other jobs.

Like a MagnaGuard? If you’re doing that, why not just purchase lots of skill ranks in Gunnery for the droid?

And I wonder what would happen if the droid and the brain got into an argument over what they were going to shoot and how? ;)

Like a MagnaGuard? If you’re doing that, why not just purchase lots of skill ranks in Gunnery for the droid?

And I wonder what would happen if the droid and the brain got into an argument over what they were going to shoot and how? ;)

Just buy Assassin Droids and call it a day...

Just buy Assassin Droids and call it a day...

IMO, the IG-100 MagnaGuard is more deadly and more dangerous than any other known Assassin Droid in the Universe, at least with regards to its own capabilities.

If an IG-100 took over a droid factory and replicated itself into each unit that was made, the Universe would now be populated exclusively by IG-100s, and it wouldn’t have been a “droid revolution” or a “droid war”, it would have been a simple slaughter of all organic sentient life.

Fortunately, IG-88A wasn’t quite as capable as an IG-100 would have been, and so that disaster was averted.