Sign in to follow this  
jarmus mrawn

Resurgent Class Star Destroyer

(Possible Spoilers)

It was just revealed that the First Order Star Destroyers are actually a new class of star Destroyer and the Finalizer was the first of the class. It was also revealed that they are almost twice the length of a Imperial Class. With a Imperial Class being 1,600 meters and the resurgent class being 2,915.81 meters. So if FFG makes one for armada it should be around 14 to 15 inches, or around the same length of the CR90 in X Wing.

Edited by jarmus mrawn

. . . spoiler warning next time please. . .

Sorry, it's almost 10 PM where I live and I just got off my duty crew at my town's Ambulance squad and I'm very tired and I wasn't thinking about putting a spoiler warning when I wrote this. Edited by jarmus mrawn

The Resurgent-class size is not important to the plot... not that one can really see how....

I'm still a little surprised why posters feel they should point out how big things would be on the tabletop "in scale". In scale to what? The CR-90? The Imperial? The Fighters? Scale Does Not Matter, it only does in the general sense. So Imperial Star Destroyers would be noticeably big, Executor noticeably bigger than that (it is ridiculosu to consider it a large, which is why it's hotly debated), and so on.

But I do wonder where FFG brackets ship size limitations. Finalizer is bigger than the Imperial, so would it still be a large or is it too big to be in that category now? Will it warrant its own base size and special rules like X-Wing epic ships?

There is another problem with accepting a Resurgent is how it's going to overlap with the Imperial. The Imperial-I is already a good carrier, so doing the Resurgent as a carrier ISD is already going to have complications. I woudln't want FFG to put out a ship to make an entire other class of ship redundant after all, as if they put out the Venator and have the awkward clashing with the Victory.

Fortunately, I think we have a while before any Episode 7 content gets released for Armada. If that had been the case, we would have seen it by now.

So I'm sure we will see this class and I'm sure it will be bigger then a ISD but not much bigger it will still be a large base now I also expect to see a SSD at some point and that will be this games epic scale. That said it would have a anti-Squadron dice of black and blue. ;)

So I'm sure we will see this class and I'm sure it will be bigger then a ISD but not much bigger it will still be a large base now I also expect to see a SSD at some point and that will be this games epic scale. That said it would have a anti-Squadron dice of black and blue. ;)

Yeah for the sake of sanity, they'll probably do this and just give it comparable stats to the ISD. Probably the thing they'll do if we have a "Force Awakens" starter set.

What makes people think the force awakens is going to have a starter set? What makes anyone think a large ship is going to be in that starter set??

I won't expect a new starter set until Episode 9 honestly. If SW follows the pattern of the OT and PT, major fleet engagements won't be a display until the last installment. I think by then the game would be developed enough to warrant a new core set to fix some of the underlying issues it couldn't otherwise, like X-Wing did with the new core.

See, now that sounds like a better option than a SSD to me. That would be big, but it 1) won't be ruined by making it a slightly sliding scale and 2) will be a size that's playable in a normal game.

Yeah, that was my thought, this should be the Epic. An SSD would be OK, but I feel like the scale would have to slide so far as to be personally unappealing.

Any TFA starter set is likely years away, as we just don't have the ships to support it yet. We have one Capitol ship, two types of TIE and the T-70 X-wing. That's it. Hopefully episode VIII will bring some more variety.

Does it specifically state that it is twice as long or twice as large. As weight or displacement is a common measure of size in ships. The resurgent seemed to have a much larger dorsal superstructure than the imperial. So twice the volume could make it still a similar length.

Does it specifically state that it is twice as long or twice as large. As weight or displacement is a common measure of size in ships. The resurgent seemed to have a much larger dorsal superstructure than the imperial. So twice the volume could make it still a similar length.

Twice the length according to starwars.com. Oddly enough even though it is twice the lenght and has a very carrier-like design it only has a similar starfighter complement (2 wings) as the ISD.

Edit: apparently wings in starwars are 6 squadrons each rather than 3 like in the real world military, so it actually has double the fighters of an ISD.

Edited by Lord Tareq

What makes people think the force awakens is going to have a starter set? What makes anyone think a large ship is going to be in that starter set??

I won't expect a new starter set until Episode 9 honestly. If SW follows the pattern of the OT and PT, major fleet engagements won't be a display until the last installment. I think by then the game would be developed enough to warrant a new core set to fix some of the underlying issues it couldn't otherwise, like X-Wing did with the new core.

Except mon mothma demilitarized the republic navy and what did remain was destoryed in the attack on the republic capital. Sure she gave each system there own small fleet.

So i doubt we seen any naval battles really unless they bring in the katana fleet as away for the Resistance /republic to quickly rearm

The new RSD class would need to be on a larger base then the large one. And would maybe run 180 to 190 point base at least

As for folk thinking their get a SSD that thing would need to be 4 to 5 feet long. Actual scale to the ISD puts it at around 6 feet. So even at just 2.5 feet it bearly fit on the map

The Resurgent-class size is not important to the plot... not that one can really see how....

I'm still a little surprised why posters feel they should point out how big things would be on the tabletop "in scale". In scale to what? The CR-90? The Imperial? The Fighters? Scale Does Not Matter, it only does in the general sense. So Imperial Star Destroyers would be noticeably big, Executor noticeably bigger than that (it is ridiculosu to consider it a large, which is why it's hotly debated), and so on.

But I do wonder where FFG brackets ship size limitations. Finalizer is bigger than the Imperial, so would it still be a large or is it too big to be in that category now? Will it warrant its own base size and special rules like X-Wing epic ships?

There is another problem with accepting a Resurgent is how it's going to overlap with the Imperial. The Imperial-I is already a good carrier, so doing the Resurgent as a carrier ISD is already going to have complications. I woudln't want FFG to put out a ship to make an entire other class of ship redundant after all, as if they put out the Venator and have the awkward clashing with the Victory.

Fortunately, I think we have a while before any Episode 7 content gets released for Armada. If that had been the case, we would have seen it by now.

Scale does not matter? So it would be okay if the Cr90 would be larger as the Mc80? Or if all would be around the same size as in Attack Wing?

The Cr90 is the ship that has the worst scale both in model size and in firepower. The look much better and make more sense as a squadron of three in ~1:7000.

Twice the length according to starwars.com. Oddly enough even though it is twice the lenght and has a very carrier-like design it only has a similar starfighter complement (2 wings) as the ISD.

Edit: apparently wings in starwars are 6 squadrons each rather than 3 like in the real world military, so it actually has double the fighters of an ISD.

SPOILER ALERT (NOW FOR THE WHOLE THREAD, READ NO MORE IF YOU WANT TO STAY INNOCENT!)

However not enough fighters to send out some to chase that fleeing TIE-Fighter with an important prisoner.

Edited by DScipio

. . . spoiler warning next time please. . . 

As soon as I read the title of the thread, I assumed that's what this would be about.

First Order, attempting to reestablish the Empire, i.e. Resurgent etc. etc.

The benefit of an agile mind.

/and by agile, most who know me would say, "insane"

//I'm not mad, I'm super-sane

///which drives me crazy