Sign in to follow this  
gundamv

Stocking Stuffer - T-70, FO TIE, or TIE Punisher?

I have exactly enough funds remaining in my Christmas budget to get an extra small-based ship.  I have narrowed down my decision to the T-70, FO Tie, and TIE Punisher.  My collection has at least one of every ship released so far except for Hound's Tooth, Khiraxz Fighter (we don't play scum much), and the Tantive IV. 

The primary critera is usability.  That is, I would prefer to get a ship that is usable in more builds and more situations.  

Play style wise, I like turrets, followed by groups of 3-4 moderately strong ships (e.g. TIE Interceptors or TIE Phantom + Ints).  Swarms are ok.  I don't like to play ordinance (except Cannons and Turrets).

Your advice on which of the three I should get?

The Punisher is a high-cost ordnance boat- Redline and Deathrain are both a lot of fun and will work well on the kitchen table. However a lot of the cards you want to run with it are in other expansions (FCS, Cluster Missiles, Conner Net). Tie mk. 2 has Some fun applications, but I disagree with those who think it's mandatory on the defender.

The F/O has nothing but good pilots and upgrades. It looks to be a solid workhorse like the Tie Advanced, B-wing, and co.

The T-70 is probably the weakest of the lot. Integrated Astromech is great, and Asty and Red Ace look to be fun, but I don't see myself running two T-70s regularly, while 2-3 Tie FOs looks like it's going to be a blast.

Edited by Squark

I have exactly enough funds remaining in my Christmas budget to get an extra small-based ship.  I have narrowed down my decision to the T-70, FO Tie, and TIE Punisher.  My collection has at least one of every ship released so far except for Hound's Tooth, Khiraxz Fighter (we don't play scum much), and the Tantive IV. 

The primary critera is usability.  That is, I would prefer to get a ship that is usable in more builds and more situations.  

Play style wise, I like turrets, followed by groups of 3-4 moderately strong ships (e.g. TIE Interceptors or TIE Phantom + Ints).  Swarms are ok.  I don't like to play ordinance (except Cannons and Turrets).

Your advice on which of the three I should get?

uhh would this be your stocking or for someone else?

Edited by Marinealver

As much as I love empire, I don't think Im ever going to get a punisher. I also don;t have the new core set yet, so I don't have much of an opinion on the Tie fo and T-70 gamewise, but out of the three, i will probably get the T-70 first.

The Punisher is a high-cost ordnance boat- Redline and Deathrain are both a lot of fun and will work well on the kitchen table. However a lot of the cards you want to run with it are in other expansions (FCS, Cluster Missiles, Conner Net). Tie mk. 2 has Some fun applications, but I disagree with those who think it's mandatory on the defender.

The F/O has nothing but good pilots and upgrades. It looks to be a solid workhorse like the Tie Advanced, B-wing, and co.

The T-70 is probably the weakest of the lot. Integrated Astromech is great, and Asty and Red Ace look to be fun, but I don't see myself running two T-70s regularly, while 2-3 Tie FOs looks like it's going to be a blast.

Having seen what it does I have to disagree on your disagreeing.

T-70 or TIE/FO. Punishers can be fun but usually you won't want multiples in a list. They start expensive and require upgrading. With T-70s you can throw Crack Shot and a cheap Astromech on Red Squad Veteran and move on with your life, or you can build Ello up to do some crazy things. TIE/FO has some awesome pilots in it and comes with Juke.

Only one of those expansion packs had both pilots and upgrades that I consistently plan to put in my lists.

Ooh, ooh, should we guess?

I bet you already did:). I do like all three packs, but one is really for an upgrade. The other has nice upgrades and a couple pilots I might play occassionally, but the third, the FO, has both good upgrades (juke, comm relay) that will see play in a lot of lists and the two leaders that I think are both very good ships.

Do you have any of these yet (The TIE/fo or T-70 from the new core set)? If not I'd say the Punisher. If so I'd say go for either of the TFA ships.

Yes, I will be getting the Force Awakens core set.  The T-70 and FO TIE I'm referring to are the single-ship expansion ones.

As much as I love empire, I don't think Im ever going to get a punisher. I also don;t have the new core set yet, so I don't have much of an opinion on the Tie fo and T-70 gamewise, but out of the three, i will probably get the T-70 first.

I thought the same thing at first. But the Punisher is a really cool looking ship, It's size next to the other ships is awesome.

I would recommend someone having at least one because the 2 ace pilots have abilities that make ordinance worthwhile and let you use a lot of cards you were probably ignoring.

The Experimental Interface from the YT-2400 has some ridiculous interactions with Deathrain when you take Advanced Sensors. Boost towards a target, drop an action bomb in front of you directly on to them so that it detonates immediately, barrel roll, then make a green maneuver, clearing the stress, and then get a shot with your primary in the combat phase.

Edited by Vulf