Sign in to follow this  
amrothe

What would you like to see in the episode 8

The Prequels CGI was not cheap or quickly. That is a disservice to what was done there. It set a brand new standard for what could be done.

This^  People seem to think this stuff just jumped out of a vacuum, when instead it was an evolution.  Lucas has always pushed the tech envelope, and his choice to use that much CGI was because it was suddenly available to do.  Prior to that, nobody had achieved anything like it, not to that extent.  It was a risky decision, and ultimately poor because of a variety of reasons (lack of acting feedback, effects too clean, etc), but he couldn't have known that at the time.

I hope in Ep VIII they reveal that Snoke isn't the main villains real name. 

Hee hee, total agreement. It rhymes with 'joke', fer cryin' out loud.  <_<

CGI vs. practical: CGI isn't evil, any more than models are, or rubber masks are, or squibs are. It's the making actors stand around in front of green screens all day that is the problem. The voice acting comparison doesn't really hold water, because there, an actor is able to close their eyes and just imagine. They don't have to worry about what they're giving to the camera.

The Prequels CGI was not cheap or quickly. That is a disservice to what was done there. It set a brand new standard for what could be done.

This^  People seem to think this stuff just jumped out of a vacuum, when instead it was an evolution.  Lucas has always pushed the tech envelope, and his choice to use that much CGI was because it was suddenly available to do.  Prior to that, nobody had achieved anything like it, not to that extent.  It was a risky decision, and ultimately poor because of a variety of reasons (lack of acting feedback, effects too clean, etc), but he couldn't have known that at the time.

Yah I disagree. George Lucas had the money too shoot test demo footage and solicit outside opinions, he just never did. He wasn't over burdened with testing anything, he just did it. He could have easily gathered feedback on the look or what actors thought, he was driving the production bus and didn't care what anyone else really thought.

I want to see

- More of Poe.

- Rey training up under Luke and kicking more ass.

- Kylo Ren become scarier but also realising that what he did doesn't make him more powerful.

- Leia use the force, also how she copes with what happened with Han.

- Chewie mourning Han

- Finn being a hero some more and maybe facing off against Phasma.

- Phasma being a badass.

- A better looking Snoke (I hate that he is CG)

- Hux's hopes and dreams crushed and all he loves coming to ruin. (I came to hate him during his speech)

Yah I disagree. George Lucas had the money too shoot test demo footage and solicit outside opinions, he just never did. He wasn't over burdened with testing anything, he just did it. He could have easily gathered feedback on the look or what actors thought, he was driving the production bus and didn't care what anyone else really thought.

It's also worth pointing out that Lucas double downs on CGI even after people critiqued his overuse of them. So even if we assume that Ep I was the first time and he didn't know better, by the time we get to Ep III he knows the score and what people are saying about his use of CGI. Lucas didn't seem to care about the feedback. 

I don't think the gripe was that CGI was evil. I think the gripe has been that CGI was used in place of actual acting, story, and anything else that makes a movie compelling. If Lucas hadn't skimped on other facets of the film no one would have likely cared about the CGI. 

I really want to see Phasma do something that makes her worth all the coolness.

I want to see more of Poe and the resistance fleet, was a big sad it was only X-wings

And I want to see if my friend is right and Snoke is Darth Plagueis, somehow having survived Palpatine's betrayal... He is about the right size if that Holo isn't him larger than life..

I just want Luke to do something... Say something. Not just stand there!

And yet with the good acting we saw in Ep. 7 (compared to others), I also fear this in Ep. 8. I'm afraid I might cringe a bit when he actually starts talking....

I just want Luke to do something... Say something. Not just stand there!

And yet with the good acting we saw in Ep. 7 (compared to others), I also fear this in Ep. 8. I'm afraid I might cringe a bit when he actually starts talking....

I won't. Mark Hamill has gained considerable chops since the 70s.

I'd love to see a reference to Mara jade even if she turns out to be dead at the time of the new movies. (Could that be what caused luke to go into hiding)

I want to see wedge! and more R2D2

Having mara jade and luke skywalker for parents could explain rey's extrodinary abilities, which seem to echo Anakin's power level with training and far outstrips any other untrained force sensative.

I believe it goes without question that we can expect introductions to new characters in Part 8. It would make sense to run into Mara Jade.  It certainly foreshadowed the revealing of Rey's past. I just wonder if we aren't being set up by being led to believe that Luke had a child.  

I sort of hope it is like Empire Strikes Back in that it takes a different turn in tone and atmosphere. 

I'm gonna try listing things in a productive way rather than the negative way I have.

I hope to see a stronger emphasis on character background and growth.

I hope to see the Republic and some politics of the era.

I hope to see the First Order become a galactic threat.

I hope to see the First Order Academy kick up it's flight school graduation requirements.

I hope to see the Falcon gain a few personal touches from Rey.

I hope to see only 2 force sensitive teens, who will be trained in their ways and grow out of their childish tendencies.

I hope to see some nostalgic nods to the prequels, not nearly as many as TFA had to the originals, but some.

I hope to see a more original plot line than has already been done by the originals.

I hope to see a counterpart to either Grevious or Dooku, but not both. (In the way so many current characters are so much like various old characters)

I hope to see the Resistance grows to be a reputable force, whether by endorsement by the Republic or not.

I hope to see Poe be given a Nemesis.

I hope to see more of Maz.

I hope to see more well trained storm troopers.

I hope to see Phasma return and become a worthwhile character, who doesn't betray her loyalty.

I hope to see a movie that makes use of all the set up TFA provided.

For background, this set of 3 novellas (Before the Awakening) is somewhat useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Awakening-Digital-Picture-ebook/dp/B00XJKK8FK/ref=sr_1_5

First two stories are decent, but not that revealing other than to help define the main characters.  The last one (about Poe) gives a lot more info on the state of politics.

For background, this set of 3 novellas (Before the Awakening) is somewhat useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Awakening-Digital-Picture-ebook/dp/B00XJKK8FK/ref=sr_1_5

First two stories are decent, but not that revealing other than to help define the main characters.  The last one (about Poe) gives a lot more info on the state of politics.

What I just read is that once these 3 movies are done, they have another set of prequels to make.

Basi

What I just read is that once these 3 movies are done, they have another set of prequels to make.

Well Rogue One is basically a prequel...

What I'd like to see:

Force Ghost Yoda telling Luke to train Rey when he's reluctant and talks about his last "try" and Yoda goes: "NO! Have nothing learned you from me? Do or do not! There is no try!" And maybe Luke completing the sentence.

(I hope it won't happen, but it wouldn't be too terrible for me to see Ewan McGregor in oldface as Obi-Wan Forceghost. I would certainly cringe, but it wouldn't hurt too much.)

So give me Force Ghost Yoda, so Rey can go and say: "Who's the midget ghost?"

I would really like to see Chewie and Rey bonding more. In Fact MOAR CHEWIE! He was perfect in TFA!

Give me more machines! I want to see if the Resistance has also successors of the Y- the B- and the A-Wing!

More R2. BB-8 was fine, but he isn' the central droid of this saga, that role belongs to R2!

Give me clarity about Rey's origins! But guys let's be honest here, the Saga as we now have it, is a story about the influence one family has on the galaxy. That family is the Skywalker family. So I doubt she isn't related to Luke in some way. That is basically the entire thing about this saga.

I want Lando and I know how I would love to see him introduced into the story. Let him be in a very cushy government job, but with a modicum of power and responsibility where he can embezzle some stuff, just under the radar, and now that basically the entire government is gone he is the acting chancelor. And he really dislikes it, but does the right thing, that are needed to be done. That would be perfect for Mr. Calrissian.

Gimme Wedge's "widow", since we won't see Denis Lawson anywhere near Star Wars, let me at least have closure there. Make her a badass pilot trainer and name her, oh I dunno, Dameron?

Those are the things I'd like to see happen. Except Ewan McGregor as Force-Ghost Kenobi. That would still suck, not because of him, I find him an extremely good actor, but because of how it would look.

I would love to see Chewie come into his own. He's standing on his own feet now, he's no longer just Han's sidekick. I loved how they established that he's a bit of a grump who likes to complain about pain or cold (great callback to the scene in ANH where he complains about the smell of the trash compactor!)

Finn should definitely turn into a bit of a scoundrel with a heart of gold. He had a bit of a pragmatist streak or survivor instinct, whichever you prefer, that makes me think he's bound to have a different, less heroic perspective the franchise needs (and that's why so far movies without Han Solo didn't really work...)

Even so, he will do what's right in the end.

Billy Dee Williams returning would be wonderful. I love that Ackbar and Nien Nunb both came back, I hope we'll see more of them, too. Greg Grunberg's character is my personal favorite, I want to see more of him.

I also expect Carrie Fisher to have a bigger part. General Organa is the leader of the Resistance, but I also expect her to have some past experience as a Jedi.

Regarding Supreme Leader Snoke - I think his appearance should change. Emperor Palpatine's first appearance as a hologram also wasn't his "finished" look. I think revising his look slightly is legitimate. Ultimately I would prefer Andy Serkis playing the character in person, with the Supreme Leader's face being a result of a combination of Serkis'  own face, makeup and post-production CGI (where parts of Snoke's face are missing.) Those scars can only mean that somebody took a lightsaber to his face, I wonder who that was. I really hope it was Leia. And that she gets a chance to finish the job.

I applaud Lucas' desire to push the envelope and actually invent new ways of doing things. CGI is a tool and can be used well or badly, like all tools. In terms of the prequels, in terms of a technical feat and showing what was possible with digital graphics, Lucas succeeded. In that regard, it was an impressive feat. But, from an artistic and storytelling perspective, it was badly done in that it was carried to far to feel natural and rendered other elements in the film, for lack of a better word, "awkward." The craft of doing CGI well is not limited to the quality of the CGI itself, but whether it is blended into the mix so as to enhance the other elements of the film, rather than detracting from it. People learn by doing and get better by failing. What was learned from the prequels was that there is too much of a good thing. Also, its much easier for actors to do their work when they are interacting with something / someone right in front of them in an immersive environment. For me, story, acting, and practical effects are the meat the CGI sauce is ladled onto - the CGI isn't a meal in of itself. 

The only two CGI thing I have a problem with in the movies is the CGI I noticed. I have no issue with background CGI, it works and doesn't distract me. What bothered me was the motion capture stuff. Lupita Nyong'o and Andy Serkis should have been in the movies as bodies, not just as voices and movement. I prefer makeup with CGI aftereffects, like Aaron Eckhart's Twoface had.

Edited by GranSolo

Mara jade will never show up. The EU was tossed. They may borrow concepts. The likelihood of using actual names of characters from the EU is very low if non-existent.

And yet... TCW and Rebels (especially) have been full of EU concepts...

The thing about "Legends" status is that it's not "this isn't canon", it's "until we say this isn't true, or put something in canon that contradicts it... then you never know."

It's like Schrodinger's canon... 

Edited by MaxKilljoy

Mara jade will never show up. The EU was tossed. They may borrow concepts. The likelihood of using actual names of characters from the EU is very low if non-existent.

And yet... TCW and Rebels (especially) have been full of EU concepts...

The thing about "Legends" status is that it's not "this isn't canon", it's "until we say this isn't true, or put something in canon that contradicts it... then you never know. 

It's like Schrodinger's canon... 

Really? I had no idea.