Sign in to follow this  
Knucklesamwich

Did FFG just shoot themselves in the foot?

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49015/starting-2016-asmodee-will-operate-asmodee-north-a

I heard the news yesterday about this merger but I didn't hear that it was this drastic! I would have to think that X-Wing became the enormous success it is due in large part to MM and CSI. I have bought probably 30% of my stuff from them off of deals of the day and I have a huge fleet of over 80 ships. That means I have put a lot more money into FLGS pockets then I have MM or CSI. I do this because I have the means and I want to support local shops. The huge problem I see is that they won't be able to avoid a HUGE hit in player base. Many people are just not going to be able to make the switch due to no FLGS available or not enough funds. I hope not but I could see some dark days ahead for us. I really don't see how this momentum we have had can keep up. I foresee many fewer releases due to a huge hit in sales. Maybe this is something they are ok with but it seems like a crazy idea to me. I mostly feel bad for those who will be aced out because of the spike in cost. I remember back when I was first married and had 0 extra money. I stopped all my gaming for years since I just couldn't swing it with a wife and 3 little kids. Just my 2 cents.

I think X-Wing is in a good place to weather this (though I'll be really curious what sales of Epic ships look like after the NO ONLINE DISCOUNTS NEVER EVER policy is in effect), but Armada? Not so much. 

Too early to tell. They might license those popular online retailers,at least it looks that way in the Q&A part. I am curious if this is going to affect europe as well. Would be a bummer, since the stores that organizes most events and does the best job of community building in my area is pretty much online only.

The First Sale Doctrine has longstanding legal precedence in the U.S. Once you buy something, you can do whatever you want with it.

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that contracts which violate existing law are unenforceable. 

If a retailer wanted to break the agreement, it would become a game of chicken to see who is willing to cave first, or spend more money on lawyers. I'm guessing the case could probably go either way. FFG does not have a small army of lawyers running around its offices, it would almost certainly have to hire an external law firm if it actually came to court.

can you explain this situation in english? I don't quite understand this.

If I've read the OP and article correctly, FFG's umbrella head (ANA) will be limiting distribution of sales to five distributors and managing operations from their headquarters in Minnesota. This means that companies like Miniature Market and CoolStuffInc might not be able to sell things at 33% off anymore through the online outlet.

So what about traditional retail suppliers like Lion Rampant?  How will this affect Canadian distribution?  I too am perturbed by the legal jargon and business speak, so I'm not really getting the big picture here.

I did mention earlier about how local shops like the one I habit really do depend on foot traffic and clubs.  I would like to think that a reigning in of online retailers powers to discount items is needed though.  Just think if the situation were to continue, you can't compete against a constant 33% cut.  Eventually the online retailer wins, and we lose the shops.  X-Wing Club no doubt brings in a ton of people to play X-Wing, but without the shop we wouldn't be able to do that.  Captain Ackbar'd that one hey?  lol

I read the Joe Boss thing. I'm not sure what to think. How could FFG not predict this would be the reaction by many people? It was my very first thought and many others I am sure. I really doubt not one person at FFG could predict this.

Edited by Knucklesamwich

So what about traditional retail suppliers like Lion Rampant?  How will this affect Canadian distribution?  I too am perturbed by the legal jargon and business speak, so I'm not really getting the big picture here.

I did mention earlier about how local shops like the one I habit really do depend on foot traffic and clubs.  I would like to think that a reigning in of online retailers powers to discount items is needed though.  Just think if the situation were to continue, you can't compete against a constant 33% cut.  Eventually the online retailer wins, and we lose the shops.  X-Wing Club no doubt brings in a ton of people to play X-Wing, but without the shop we wouldn't be able to do that.  Captain Ackbar'd that one hey?  lol

Canadian distribution is not affected. This just affects the massive discounters. Which I'm fine with. Brick and mortar stores are where tournaments are done. 

Canadian distribution is not affected. This just affects the massive discounters. Which I'm fine with. Brick and mortar stores are where tournaments are done. 

Yeah but 90% of gamers are casual and a good deal play at home and they are the ones mostly buying from discounters, they'll go where ever is cheapest or buy less.

My impression from what Joe Red Boss Seven is that this primarily affects the Diamond/Alliance monopoly on Days of Wonder distribution. 

Yeah... that EXACTLY, is what we talked about yesterday. Chill peoples. The FFG Star Brahs are locking down on sneaky people that want to buy a ton of popular product and set on it. Mini Mart & Cool Stuff and other **** fine well run online businesses are not going to be affected much at all.

I specifically asked about them and asked in our beloved FFG is trying to pull a GW from years back. NO! was the answer!

Chill My Star Brothers.

;)

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/49015/starting-2016-asmodee-will-operate-asmodee-north-a

I heard the news yesterday about this merger but I didn't hear that it was this drastic! I would have to think that X-Wing became the enormous success it is due in large part to MM and CSI. I have bought probably 30% of my stuff from them off of deals of the day and I have a huge fleet of over 80 ships. That means I have put a lot more money into FLGS pockets then I have MM or CSI. I do this because I have the means and I want to support local shops. The huge problem I see is that they won't be able to avoid a HUGE hit in player base. Many people are just not going to be able to make the switch due to no FLGS available or not enough funds. I hope not but I could see some dark days ahead for us. I really don't see how this momentum we have had can keep up. I foresee many fewer releases due to a huge hit in sales. Maybe this is something they are ok with but it seems like a crazy idea to me. I mostly feel bad for those who will be aced out because of the spike in cost. I remember back when I was first married and had 0 extra money. I stopped all my gaming for years since I just couldn't swing it with a wife and 3 little kids. Just my 2 cents.

giphy.gif

Take a deep breath. It's going to be fine.

You will still be able to buy stuff online.

You will still be able to find nice deals.

Your bootlegs won't get swiped by navy seals.

Just sit back, relax, and give it some time.

And take a deep breath. It's going to be fine. 

^_^  

Not sure where I stand on this one. At heart I am a brick and mortar guy. I do very little shopping online. I remember way back in my AD&D days that the closest retailer was about a 30 minute drive away, and it was not in a popular area. What this meant for our entire early teen gaming group is that we constantly begged, cajoled, and whined to get our parents to take us to our FGS. And when a trip did occur, not only was it a great success; it was a point of pride and envy amongst our peers. Even then we didn't buy everything, but we didn't fall too far behind either. When those infrequent trips happened, we made the most of it.

Fast forward to today. I can purchase most any game or accessory I choose with just a few clicks and have it show up at my door sooner than I can find the time to get to the store. I still don't buy online. To me, the local game or comic shop is a magical mystical place.

OTOH, I am also a hard core capitalist. It is obvious the online retailers have found a way to afford selling FFG products at substantial discount and still make money. I'm all for it and against artificial barriers or restrictions. I also feel that every company has the right to choose its own distribution channels. If those channels are successful, great. If not, time to make changes. That is what I think we will see here. If this move helps the local stores and doesn't substantially hurt sales volume and/or profit margins, then I say go for it. If FFG sees a large dip in either, they will either revert back or move on to plan C.

In any case, each of us will vote with our feet and our wallets. But way to soon to see which way this shakes out.

To answer the original question; FFG took the shot, but we don't know if they hit anything yet.

Edited by Eyegor

Here's how I read it. You can sell online based on three criteria:

Scale: This pretty much covers Coolstuff and Miniature Market. And given I don't see them having to pay more than normal stores and they likely operate on a slimmer margin, going for more sales, prices should be fine. 

Unique Service: Covers Team Covenant's subscription service.

Other Exceptional Differentiation: Loop hole for whoever we want. 

As BJRS said, people at the company don't foresee changes. The change is likely in the middle-middle man area, which we don't normally see. 

The First Sale Doctrine has longstanding legal precedence in the U.S. Once you buy something, you can do whatever you want with it.

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that contracts which violate existing law are unenforceable. 

If a retailer wanted to break the agreement, it would become a game of chicken to see who is willing to cave first, or spend more money on lawyers. I'm guessing the case could probably go either way. FFG does not have a small army of lawyers running around its offices, it would almost certainly have to hire an external law firm if it actually came to court.

It's probably less of a "take legal action" situation than simply a "stop supplying the offending retailer" one, though.

It's probably less of a "take legal action" situation than simply a "stop supplying the offending retailer" one, though.

Good point. I was missing the obvious there. :-)