Sign in to follow this  
DraconPyrothayan

A reminder of a function of the forum:

Click your name at the top right corner.

Click "Edit my Profile" at the top right corner (though less top and less right than the previous).

Click 'Ignore Preferences' in the left bar.

You can now ignore posts and messages from certain users. 

If enough people do this to the same user, that will result in a ban.

If enough people do this to the same user, that will result in a ban.

Really?

I've seen it done before.

Or, at least, every person I've seen get 'Ignored' has later gotten banned, and I see a causal link.

The function being separate from the forum posts itself means that Banning can be done democratically, without the overhead of dozens of moderators...

I doubt it would work that way, seems like a bad system really, open for abuse.

They need moderators anyway to keep an eye on what's being posted. At least over here websites are legally responsible for what gets posted on them.

They need moderators anyway to keep an eye on what's being posted. At least over here websites are legally responsible for what gets posted on them.

Perhaps you feel you are being treated unfairly if enough people ignore the same guy it triggers some kind of automated system that tells a mod to see if the Banhammer needs to carry out it's sacred task. 

Perhaps you feel you are being treated unfairly if enough people ignore the same guy it triggers some kind of automated system that tells a mod to see if the Banhammer needs to carry out it's sacred task.

And that would be OK (it's still a moderator taking a reasonable view hopefully).

Mob-rule on the other hand is not to be encouraged. Not ever...

I think if anything, people who get 'ignored' a lot tend to have polarising opinions which cause friction. And are therefore more likely to be involved in forum arguments, and thus more likely to engage in ban-worthy behaviour.

On a related note, an ignored person still shows up with a 'post not shown because this person is on your ignore list' button which is very annoying. I'd much prefer that I see NOTHING of that persons after I have ignored them.

But then the software would also have to recognize who was quoted and check that against a list of ignored people. Technically possible, but an expensive investment. Especially if the community is just a tacked on extra and not the primary focus.

Regardless of the true correlation between the use of ignore preferences and a ban I can unequivocally confirm that ignoring certain individuals posts improves your experience on this forum.

It still gives you the option of seeing the persons post if you want to. But invariably when you do that you later are left asking yourself why you bothered and that there was a reason you chose to put them on your list.

I only wish the ignore function allowed me to ignore threads started by people on my ignore list. Sometimes I accidentally click on a thread, not knowing who the OP is.

Yeah it's a pretty rare circumstance that threads started by those individuals end up being worthwhile.