Sign in to follow this  
Ken on Cape

How come the FO TIEs don't have a gunner slot? Spoilers for Force Awakens

I saw Force Awakens last night and today. When Finn and Poe escape the star destroyer, they get into a new FO TIE fighter.  There is a gunner postion, and it has a moving gun so it can fire behind, like the Slave 1.  

So how come the stat cards for the FO TIEs in the game don't have a gunner slot and they don't have the rear firing arc?  

they'd be so ******* dumb with their amazing dial, I almost want to see it added in post :D

it' probably why the A-wing also doesn't have an aux arc, despite its cannons being able to spin around to fire behind it just like the firespray

Edited by ficklegreendice

Probably because the Special Forces TIE (or COG) is different than the FO. 

But they did'nt say it was a speical TIE, if they did'nt show it was different then all the other TIEs, then I go with all TIEs are like that.  

Probably because the Special Forces TIE (or COG) is different than the FO. 

But they did'nt say it was a speical TIE, if they did'nt show it was different then all the other TIEs, then I go with all TIEs are like that.  

It was different. The red paint scheme seems to be on the special forces TIEs.

The differences in the two models are very subtle.  I think the big thing is from a distance the standard 'H' wing design looks identical, whereas nearly all the previous TIE versions had different versions on the wing patterns.  As others have said the bigger one (Special Forces, maybe SF for short?) has two seats, and an underslung turret (which didn't replace the main forward guns from what I could tell).

They didn't add the rear gunner slot because they didn't know about it as well as not knowing about the proper paint schemes for the new ties. The force awakens expansion came out way before the movie did and the studio would not have risked opening up more potential leaks on the movie before release for a niche gaming developer. That being said naturally none of that matters because the lore on the new saga is essentially nonexistent yet and lacking so the studio probably have ffg the go ahead to just make up a base tie for now which is why they have no named pilot cards, plus it gives them more ship options for the first order that way. I'm sure theyll put the screen accurate Ties in the upcoming waves may even have them in the next one to come out unless they already had the next wave prepped before the movie released which they likely did then it'll be the wave of updates after the next one.

They didn't add the rear gunner slot because they didn't know about it as well as not knowing about the proper paint schemes for the new ties. The force awakens expansion came out way before the movie did and the studio would not have risked opening up more potential leaks on the movie before release for a niche gaming developer. That being said naturally none of that matters because the lore on the new saga is essentially nonexistent yet and lacking so the studio probably have ffg the go ahead to just make up a base tie for now which is why they have no named pilot cards, plus it gives them more ship options for the first order that way. I'm sure theyll put the screen accurate Ties in the upcoming waves may even have them in the next one to come out unless they already had the next wave prepped before the movie released which they likely did then it'll be the wave of updates after the next one.

Uh, no, they are two different TIE models. The TIE FO and the TIE Special Forces are not the same tie.  They are shaped different, they are painted different, and they are equipped different.

I expect we will see the TIE/sf with either a turret or a rear arc in the next expansion.

Edited by HolySorcerer

Two different ships. Let's have some pictures:

TIE/FO:

4lo4ESA.jpg

Basically a recolored TIE Fighter with subtly different proportions. 

TIE/SF:

FAH-92-92226.jpg

Differences:

• Bottom mounted turret gun
  • Big cogwheel hyperdrive housings on the wings
  • What clearly looks like a comm relay
  • Window on the back for a gunner
  • Red stripe
  • Bigger guns on eyeball section

Know the difference, it could save a life!

Talk about just making stuff up as you go.  There is so much pure baloney in this statement...

first off you necro a dead thread.  secondly, you completely make up all of this!   

Cmon man... 

Big cogwheel hyperdrive housings on the wings

Where is it coming from that the cogs are the hyperdrive?

They aren't. In the new book explaining the new equipment, they list the cogs as the extra storage for the ship's batteries. Nowhere has it said the cogs are the hyperdrive. 

Big cogwheel hyperdrive housings on the wings

Where is it coming from that the cogs are the hyperdrive?

They aren't. In the new book explaining the new equipment, they list the cogs as the extra storage for the ship's batteries. Nowhere has it said the cogs are the hyperdrive.

Yeah, the hyperdrive is listed as being next to the ion engines.

Yeah, the hyperdrive is listed as being next to the ion engines.

Ok. It kinda felt like that was coming out of left field.

I was thinking about this the other day and while I have only watched the movie once I recall Finn (that Traitor!) firing at a target ahead of the Tie.

Sure he was facing backwards but I recall the Target being in front of the tie when it fired it's payload, along with multiple options for shooting that Poe quickly explains.

I would probably expect that the end result being that a TIE/SF is just a Crew Slot on the TIE/FO body, maybe a missile slot as well?

But no rear firing arc.

Allows for Gunner (effectively what Finn was in that scene) and adds some utility to Ties that they don't currently have.

Edited by Caspanova

But no rear firing arc.

Given that, during the battle scene on Maz's planet we quite clearly see a TIE/sf firing out its rear, I think a rear firing arc is more than likely actually.

That or we'll finally get a turret, since, you know, it has a turret. Edited by HolySorcerer