Sign in to follow this  
StormyWaters

When is it too late to take your action?

Hey guys,

I'm new here and never played a tournament before, just a quick question. When is the precise moment where it's too late to take a forgotten action? Is it when you reveal the next dial? What about if your opponent flips their dial and you remember at the same moment? Sorry if this was covered before.

In an official venue, it's when the next dial is flipped.  If you can see what your opponent's maneuver is, that can give a dramatic advantage on your action selection.  The case is less dramatic if it's your dial that is flipped, but it's good practice nonetheless.

Swarms are a pretty notable exception, where you'll flip 6 dials for ships flying in formation.  Then move all 6 ships and toss tokens down on them afterwards.  This is because that's just so much faster of a way to play that nobody minds.

Also, watch out here.  If you opponent sees you contemplating your action, then flips his dial to prevent it, that is poor play.  If he does that, interrupt and say "Wait, I haven't taken my action."  It's not as if you had forgotten, it's that he's trying to cut you off.  Tell him to wait till you say you are done before he flips his dial.  If it persists, call the TO.

Personally, though, this doesn't happen much at all.  Most players are here to have fun, and hope to win.  Don't be the guy who is just here to win.

Edited by DHKnecht

Hey guys,

I'm new here and never played a tournament before, just a quick question. When is the precise moment where it's too late to take a forgotten action? Is it when you reveal the next dial? What about if your opponent flips their dial and you remember at the same moment? Sorry if this was covered before.

In a casual game, don't much care if you take your action after the fact.  In a tournament, your opportunity passes when the next ship activates.

Also, watch out here.  If you opponent sees you contemplating your action, then flips his dial to prevent it, that is poor play.  If he does that, interrupt and say "Wait, I haven't taken my action."  It's not as if you had forgotten, it's that he's trying to cut you off.  Tell him to wait till you say you are done before he flips his dial.  If it persists, call the TO.

Personally, though, this doesn't happen much at all.  Most players are here to have fun, and hope to win.  Don't be the guy who is just here to win.

Very good point here.  Though exceedingly rare, it does happen.

Also, just because it's a casual environment doesn't mean you shouldn't practice good form.  You still have an advantage if you know what the next ship is going to do.

here's a good habit:

after manuevering, just mumble something about "okay...and action..."

just declaring that you're going to do an action (not which) is good for helping you actually remember the bloody things, and if your opponent pulls a fast one (even accidentally) you'll have concrete proof that you didn't forget

if your opponent **** up, then that's on them

Edited by ficklegreendice

Swarms are a pretty notable exception, where you'll flip 6 dials for ships flying in formation.

That's not true. You might get away with it, but you are in fact breaking the rules by doing that, and someone can call you on it.

It's also a bad habit to get into, because while giving everyone a focus token is one thing, when you start doing barrel rolls or such things can change.

Swarms are a pretty notable exception, where you'll flip 6 dials for ships flying in formation.

That's not true. You might get away with it, but you are in fact breaking the rules by doing that, and someone can call you on it.

It's also a bad habit to get into, because while giving everyone a focus token is one thing, when you start doing barrel rolls or such things can change.

Can't argue with anything you're saying, as it is explicitly against the rules.  I've never run into a situation where someone called me on it though, primarily because if I'm getting into a situation where I'll consider barrel rolling then I return to activating them one at a time.  I'm mostly talking about a no-bump + focus situation though, where you can easily save a minute or two by moving in this fashion.

Best analogy I can think of is moving a block of 30 gaunts in 40k, where you just pick up the ones in the back and move them to where the ones in the front would be.  While against the rules, it's just so much faster and has a trivial impact on the game that nobody seems to mind.

One thing I learned to do recently is always put a focus or evade token on each ship during the first turn of the game.  It almost never does anything in the game but it gets you in the habit of move-action, move-action and will really help in tourney games.

Also, I find most games get into a clear rhythm where each player tells the other when they are finished with moving a particular ship (or set of same PS ships).  Opponents should NEVER flip a dial until you have made it clear that you are done with a particular activation.

Your responsibilities:

• Make it clear when you are finished activating a ship. 
  • Don't flip your dial until your opponent does the same.  A simple "Ready?" with your hand on the dial is all it takes.

Also, I find the saying Fly Casual to be kind of funny.

I mean, in the movie Fly Casual actually means "try to trick those fools by appearin' calm"....

But I digress...  I like to try and get people to play a tight game.  I feel like X-Wing is just too... elegantly precise to be played haphazardly.  I mean it's not like 40k where you can just say push that blob of toys over that way, because you can win or lose a game by a millimeter.  There is kind of a break in period but it's totally subjective.  I see lots of people let stuff go and it's kind of just like, well why bother, play yahtzee or something.  I mean if that's the way they like to play that's fine, but I also enjoy the mental exercise of x-wing and I feel like loose play cheapens that for me.

Really I just wanted to say the bit about flyin casual actually meaning be deceptive, but had to contribute as well so...  Also, I realize that it's  not used in the same context as the movie.  Just thought it was funny.  You can picture it right? 

"Oh I forgot to take an evade on my Tie, do you mind?"

"No go ahead, Fly Casual!"

"Thanks bro!"

"I shouldn't have come... "

"What was that?"

"Nothing, er uh... just having a slight... weapons malfunction down here, we're all fine now..."  :grimace:

Hey guys,

In a casual game, don't much care if you take your action after the fact.  In a tournament, your opportunity passes when the next ship activates.

Very good point here.  Though exceedingly rare, it does happen.

Also, just because it's a casual environment doesn't mean you shouldn't practice good form.  You still have an advantage if you know what the next ship is going to do.

That^

So my first post was made in a rush and rereading, it's a little short.  I stand by my before the next ship activates, but there is also a "within reason" aspect of that.  If you suspect your opponent is rushing you by flipping is dial and moving his ship too quickly, make him aware of it.  He may even say, yeah go ahead and take your action.  Or simply ask him to wait.  I stand by my original statement, except when it is used as a technique to force you to be unable to take actions.  Every ship gets an action according to the rules, and if he is deliberately preventing that, outside of the games mechanisms for doing so, HE is the one breaking the rules, not you.

Now, if you have 2 ships in sequential initiative order, let's say you have Keyan at PS7 and Poe at PS8, and you activate Keyan, neglect to take his action, activate Poe, take his focus, and then say, "oh, wait, I meant to barrel roll Keyan," I'll probably tell you it's too late.

Edited by Engine25

Typically if someone forgets to take an action, it's OK by me as long as I have not activated any of my ships. In a tournament setting, I expect people to be more aware and there's a difference in whether it is a small tournament or a Store Championship or higher. Still, as mentioned above, it's always best to play like you would in a tournament. I typically don't ask for a missed action when I play casually, because it punishes me for not playing well and I learn from it.