Sign in to follow this  
Guest ColGeneralVatutin

A call for decency. Profit is encouraged, but crooked profiteering on uninitiated and uninformed new players is...

I'll try and answer your long post as best I can... I'm not a rich man. I don't earn much, and half my work is voluntary. I don't own a house, a car, a big fancy tv screen.

I have however spent around £400 on X-Wing. I have no problem with that, and here's why: it's a brilliant game. It is in fact the best game I've ever played in my life. I play it weekly, I play it with friends' kids, I play it competitively, and I play big old 4-player beer and pretzel mash-ups.

It gives me a lot of pleasure to play, discuss, analyse and support this game. I know that FFG are making money hand over foot. I know that in ratio to my earnings, it's too much money. But - and here's the big but - it gives me great pleasure to play and to watch this game grow. No need to tell me - or many others here I suspect, that X-wing is a runaway capitalist success, run by a big old business with a sharp business model. This is not a 'Soylent Green' moment for anyone here, I suspect.

But I will say this: you're paying for the design as much as the tiny cards and ships. I may have joined for the miniatures but I'm staying for the unparralelled effort and ingenuity I can see that goes into this game. If you want to leave, that's your loss, truly, but I would hardly blame you. I hope this explains why people are so defensive about X-wing - excellence, inventiveness, theme, replayability and fun. I no of no other game to hit the mark like it has. So good luck with whatever you choose to invest your time in afterwards, and good luck trying to dampen down that old negativity in the future - it won't help you going forward, believe me brother.

It seems to me that you have two business models with respect to games.

1) A static game where everything comes in one box and is self-contained.  Think of Monopoly or Chess.  People all over the world have been playing chess for decades and having chess tournaments.  Pros:  Everything is in the box and you only need one, Basic sets can be cheap.  Cons:  The game will have a tendency to stagnate.

2) A "living" game with regular updates and expansions.  X-Wing and others I don't know about as I don't play miniatures or card games other than X-Wing.  Pros:  Every expansion and/or update adds variety and additional strategy to the game.  Cons:  Can get expensive.  Will be intimidating for new players to get "caught up".  People dislike change.

X-Wing is clearly #2.  Deal with it.

I can't tell if the OP and subsequent posts by the OP is a joke or not.

Nothing posted between 8PM and 8AM the following day can be considered serious. OP hadn't had breakfast yet and cannot be trusted to have been thinking straight.

He should have had a snickers.

I can't tell if the OP and subsequent posts by the OP is a joke or not.

Nothing posted between 8PM and 8AM the following day can be considered serious. OP hadn't had breakfast yet and cannot be trusted to have been thinking straight.

He should have had a snickers.

You trying to kill him? Nuts. Healthy and will keep you full longer.

Report button exists for a reason

Doesn't do anything.

I tried to report a user for racist content and nothing happened. If they let jokes about black people and crack go then why ban someone for not understanding economics?

I started reading this thinking it was a joke....... Lol.....

Seriously. If we each go and buy an expansion or a couple that we like, to get a list we like, then never buy ships again ffg will b gone in a couple years. 

Gone.

Bye bye......

In order for them to stay, they have to keep selling. In order to sell, they have to have a product that the public wants. ...... I don't mind. I see. I like. I buy. If I can't afford it, I don't buy. 

Ffg is great and I wish them many happy returns, and a merry Christmas!

I've been working on the perfect egg to eat on top of white rice and I think I've figured it out:

- melt a tablespoon of salted, hand-rolled, butter in a pan at the lowest heat setting

- once the butter is melted apply one egg

- pour one teaspoon of soy sauce into the yolk and and add a pinch of crushed red pepper

- heat until the whites are 90% solid

- place over fresh white rice, break yolk, enjoy

To the OP.

Here is what you can do. My gaming group does this and it works out just fine.

FFG's articles have wonderful images of the cards in the new sets. Copy these images into Word and scale them to match the actual cards. Next print them out and trim them. Finally place them in a plastic sleeve.

You now have all the cards and you did not spend a dime.

In my area they can be used at game stores for NON TOURNAMENT play.

Since there is only one Store Champ, one Regional, and one Worlds a year you are really not out that much.

And finally remember that FFG needs to make $$$$ in order to stay in business. If FFG is doing well then X-Wing is doing well.

Do not let little things bother you so much. Life is actually very short so spend more time playing X-Wing with friends and have fun.

Well... I read the original post, and  - every-   -single-   -comment-   just to say this....

Okay confession: I didn't actually read anything past the first few lines of the original post, and only skimmed the first few comments after that to get a feel for the thread...

Now, I feel obligated to add something to this discussion because if I don't .... I'll never be able to justify wasting even that much time on this thread.

Edited by DanDoulogos

Well... I read the original post, and  - every-   -single-   -comment-   just to say this....

Okay confession: I didn't actually read anything past the first few lines of the original post, and only skimmed the first few comments after that to get a feel for the thread...

Now, I feel obligated to add something to this discussion because if I don't .... I'll never be able to justify wasting even that much time on this thread.

What's your favorite breakfast food?

I could really do with a bacon sandwich right now.

Maybe topped with a fried egg.

It's been a while since we had a good breakfast thread. I'm going to see TFA this morning at 9:30 at the Alamo drafthouse, so I think a shandy will be part of mine this morning.

Have fun!  There's always room for a hearty breakfast, but watch that liquid intake - the last thing you want is a rest break mid film!

I've got an AM showing so my fiance and I are thinking fancy breakfast out before the movie. I'm thinking biscuits and gravy with a good bloody mary.

No spoilers except in threads marked as "SPOILERS"

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

The gravy has chorizo in it.

Boom. Spoiled.

Ewww, you eat spoiled gravy....yuck!!!

It's been a while since we had a good breakfast thread. I'm going to see TFA this morning at 9:30 at the Alamo drafthouse, so I think a shandy will be part of mine this morning.

Have fun!  There's always room for a hearty breakfast, but watch that liquid intake - the last thing you want is a rest break mid film!

I've got an AM showing so my fiance and I are thinking fancy breakfast out before the movie. I'm thinking biscuits and gravy with a good bloody mary.

Boom. Spoiled.

You should change your avatar to:

61lya93VSUL._SX522_.jpg

It's a T70 bit that can be used on your driver.

I just started in September. It's amazingly fun. I have a good community of players in my area showing me the ropes. I've spent prob $180 so far, completely worth it. I love this game. It's a hobby, not a plot to bleed fans dry.

Relax, bro.

Belated welcome to X-wing :D

Glad to hear you're having fun.

Boom. Spoiled.

You should change your avatar to:

61lya93VSUL._SX522_.jpg

It's a T70 bit that can be used on your driver.

A hand shandy?

What's your favorite breakfast food?

Mine alternates between pancakes/waffles and eggs of some sort.  But the thing that brings it all together is breakfast sausage.  Dear God I love those salty fatty little links.  I wish I was 20 again so I could eat a whole container of them without going into a meat coma.  Getting old sucks.

1) A static game where everything comes in one box and is self-contained.  Think of Monopoly or Chess.  People all over the world have been playing chess for decades and having chess tournaments.  Pros:  Everything is in the box and you only need one, Basic sets can be cheap.  Cons:  The game will have a tendency to stagnate.

2) A "living" game with regular updates and expansions.  X-Wing and others I don't know about as I don't play miniatures or card games other than X-Wing.  Pros:  Every expansion and/or update adds variety and additional strategy to the game.  Cons:  Can get expensive.  Will be intimidating for new players to get "caught up".  People dislike change.

But there could be an Option #3.

A "living" game that comes out with new ships, repainted ships, etc. AND a card only Upgrade Expansion that fixes/buffs older ships.  They way I don't have to buy S&V to play Imperial.

See everyone including FFG could still be winners.  Yeah!!!

A "living" game that comes out with new ships, repainted ships, etc. AND a card only Upgrade Expansion that fixes/buffs older ships.  They way I don't have to buy S&V to play Imperial.

Except you have had FFG state that that option isn't a tenable situation for thier product. And even from the outside looking in you can come up with alot of reasons why that would be. So if you think option 3 is a viable option then you have to also believe that FFG is straight up lying to you when they say it isn't a feasible model.

Except you have had FFG state that that option isn't a tenable situation for thier product. And even from the outside looking in you can come up with alot of reasons why that would be. So if you think option 3 is a viable option then you have to also believe that FFG is straight up lying to you when they say it isn't a feasible model.

Lying?  Maybe it is just a difference of opinions based on the facts available.  Maybe it is just a different business model.  Maybe it is just a different profit model.  But lying?  I could never say that or ever even imply that and if I had then I was the one in the wrong.  Hopefully you simply overstated or misunderstood my thoughts.

P.S. I don't recall them saying it 'isn't a tenable situation'.  I do recall them saying that isn't something they are interested in.  There is a difference.