Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens Unofficial Poll thread. Maybe spoliers.

4,5 - I loved the movie, thought the rehash of episode IV stuff a bit cheesy and starkiller base was one big plot-hole/overkill, but aside from Starkiller base, the references to the original Trilogy were nice, but most of all, the new characters were good and interesting and I can't wait to see how they progress in the SW universe. (to me character development, combined with good (inter)acting, is the most important aspect of a movie even when the story is full of plotholes)

I would have given it a 4,75 if Starkiller base wasn't completely destroyed at the end (it's too much a copy/paste right now). I'm still deciding wether I think this movie was the 2nd or 3rd best Star Wars movie.

3.0 for me. 

This sums up TFA better than I ever can: 

pIvKZxD.gif

The movie didn't impress me but it didn't disappoint me either.

However because it was a rehash it didn't give me any confidence that next year's movie will be any good.

Edited by Marinealver

3.0 for me. 

pIvKZxD.gif

However because it was a rehash it didn't give me any confidence that next year's movie will be any good.

You mean Rogue One.

3.0 for me. 

pIvKZxD.gif

Having watched monsters and Godzilla I'm pretty sure rogue one will disappoint.

If I would have watched it as a kid: 4.5

As teen: 4.

Nowadays: 3.

Seen a few comments like this. I totally get then and they are fine if that's how the commenters feel.

But I just think it's a little sad. Star Wars for me has always been about keeping in touch with my inner child. I have 2 children, 3 stepchildren and a history with the darker side of life.. But this universe still makes me feel like the 4yr old that watched one or both of ANH and ESB every Saturday morning in VHS for what in my memory was months on end.

TFA gave me that feeling again which I missed from the PT. Yes it was an imperfect film but its like being in love and seeing past/accepting them for what they are.

Hoping for viewing number 3 this week. I've seen 2d and 3d and while the latter was cool, the 2d was still great and I don't think you lose too much.

My reasoning for giving it only 3 can be found here https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/196157-the-force-awakens-your-reaction-spoilers/page-39#entry1958039

Unfortunately(?) I am an adult, and cannot totally swtich of my background. And that I know OT, and see copy and paste. My inner child though is alive - why would I otherwise shove small plastic crack around on a playmat, and actually even repaint them :) I have 4 children and like to play with them :)

But TFA mostly did not manage to immerse me enough to switch off the adult. One reason is probably the totally rushed atmosphere of the film, the environment and characters have few chances and the time to make enough impression. And as above there are too much things bothering me, to forgive it.

Anyway, today my better half and oldest child went to the cinema to watch the 3D version. Child has neither seen OT or prequels or Clone Wars. Knows the first few episodes of Rebels season 1 and has read some Star Wars encyclopedias from the librray.

Guess what: Child gave it a 4.5 :)

Better half: 4. And really pissed of about Han's death, said anyone else could have died, hopefully one of the shiny-perfect-heroes like Luke, but not just the one anti-hero half against his will being hero.

4 overall, but the last scene with Han almost ruined the movie for me on a prequels-level. Having watched it more closely the second time, I feel slightly better about it (noticed a few more details), but I still feel that it was done solely for the sake of doing it.

We should do another poll:  What did the Significant Other and any non-informed children rate it? 

My wife gave it a 5 on the first, a 6 for the second viewing. We both have yet to go for our third. Then again, she might not be typical. Able to outquote most people on Star Wars movies, fluently speak the Lakota dialogue from Dances with Wolves, and many many many other movies. I married the right one there.

4 overall, but the last scene with Han almost ruined the movie for me on a prequels-level. Having watched it more closely the second time, I feel slightly better about it (noticed a few more details), but I still feel that it was done solely for the sake of doing it.

It's too big of an impact on character development to just do it for the stunt.