Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens Unofficial Poll thread. Maybe spoliers.

Come on people, as if ANH wasn't a straight bunch of tropes and hardly an original story. 

A farmkid discovering magical powers, having an older mentor who partway through the story dies, a climactic battle with evil and the kid entering the larger world?

That's Luke, Frodo, Rand Al'Thor, Arthur, Harry Potter, Neo, any of the Starks, Richard Cypher, Fitz, Louis du Pointe du Lac, Bilbo, Gilgamesh, or most other stories with slight variations.

that's the point..! ANH wasn't that original.. so why do EXCACTLY THAT again..?

Just remember ANH was basically a rip-off that Hidden Fortress Samuri movie....

also, speaking of Ties being Badass, loved this shot:

tiefighters.jpgthey look.... real! I got chills.

maybe the best scene in the whole movie. could have lasted for half an hour if you ask me :D

4. Can't stand Kylo Ren. Whinny brat is all I could see. His skill and power varied from awesome he can stop a blaster bolt in mid air to getting taken down by someone who just discovered her power. Planet destroying blah blah blah. Was Poe created because Denis "Wedge Antilles" Lawson backed out?

I don't want to criticize anyones comment, but i can tell you why I personally enjoyed Ren a lot. He is really fresh air in the villain cast of Star Wars.

Most of them, like the Emperor, Maul and Vader, from his transformation onwards are just pure evil. No sign of any reflection besides gaining power and maintaining it. I don't count Vaders end in here actually.

Then we have the villains that work for money or are at least motivated by it or by power like the bounty hunters or Jabba.

And then we have Dooku and high military commanders like Tarkin, maybe Grievous, Hux and others that mostly seem to have chosen their side out of logical reasoning and/or personal conviction.

Ren is different. He is choleric, a bit psychopatic and evil, but he shows self-doubts and weaknesses sometimes. I really like that. He is not yet 100% evil like most others at least. And even after what he does in this movie i am still not convinced he is completely lost for the light side.

Unlike Vader where Anakin just snaps his fingers and from one moment to the next he goes slaughter some younglings, and then never questions his path again. Even when Padme dies, he just stays stupidly loyal to hus new master...

No idea where Supreme Leader Snoopy fits in there. Probably first category so far.

Yeah I agree that Kylo Ren is a very complex and evolving bad guy. A good addition to the dark side characters. We'll see what happens to him in 8 and 9. I doubt he'll come back, but maybe like Vader, as he dies, he'll come back.

Also keep the votes coming! We need 3 more to reach 100!

For the moment, he might as well be dead. The Chewie, Rey and Finn just barely make it out, while FO flees the planet in disarray and Ren lies on the floor pretty heavily wounded by multiple lightsaber wounds from Rey and a Crossbow hit from Chewie.

I would bet he got rescued, but it's not 100% certain. More like 99% as why would they build an interesting Character and then not even show his death...

4. Can't stand Kylo Ren. Whinny brat is all I could see. His skill and power varied from awesome he can stop a blaster bolt in mid air to getting taken down by someone who just discovered her power. Planet destroying blah blah blah. Was Poe created because Denis "Wedge Antilles" Lawson backed out?

I don't want to criticize anyones comment, but i can tell you why I personally enjoyed Ren a lot. He is really fresh air in the villain cast of Star Wars.

Most of them, like the Emperor, Maul and Vader, from his transformation onwards are just pure evil. No sign of any reflection besides gaining power and maintaining it. I don't count Vaders end in here actually.

Then we have the villains that work for money or are at least motivated by it or by power like the bounty hunters or Jabba.

And then we have Dooku and high military commanders like Tarkin, maybe Grievous, Hux and others that mostly seem to have chosen their side out of logical reasoning and/or personal conviction.

Ren is different. He is choleric, a bit psychopatic and evil, but he shows self-doubts and weaknesses sometimes. I really like that. He is not yet 100% evil like most others at least. And even after what he does in this movie i am still not convinced he is completely lost for the light side.

Unlike Vader where Anakin just snaps his fingers and from one moment to the next he goes slaughter some younglings, and then never questions his path again. Even when Padme dies, he just stays stupidly loyal to hus new master...

No idea where Supreme Leader Snoopy fits in there. Probably first category so far.

Yeah I agree that Kylo Ren is a very complex and evolving bad guy. A good addition to the dark side characters. We'll see what happens to him in 8 and 9. I doubt he'll come back, but maybe like Vader, as he dies, he'll come back.

Also keep the votes coming! We need 3 more to reach 100!

For the moment, he might as well be dead. The Chewie, Rey and Finn just barely make it out, while FO flees the planet in disarray and Ren lies on the floor pretty heavily wounded by multiple lightsaber wounds from Rey and a Crossbow hit from Chewie.

I would bet he got rescued, but it's not 100% certain. More like 99% as why would they build an interesting Character and then not even show his death...

I think He means comes back.... to the light side, like Vader.

It's a 4.5 for me. I loved it! It's very fast, and for me the most 'exhausting' Star Wars film. I liked the acting, the humour and the constant action. The story was a bit confusing at times.

Currently I rate the series, from best to worst:

The Empire Strikes Back

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

But that is not saying much, as I just love every Star Wars film.

Abrams wrecked Star Trek and Saved Star Wars. Well done sir!

Don't forget that Abrams wasn't the sole producer behind either film and behind the producers you also have a studio. The director is often hampered by studios and producers (Alien 4 anyone?). 

Blame and praise go to the respective studios as well, for either not keeping Abrams and his coproducers on Star Trek in line enough and giving him enough creative freedom to move back from the CGI fests of the prequels.

I wonder how much Lindelof is to blame for Star Trek. 

If I would have watched it as a kid: 4.5

As teen: 4.

Nowadays: 3.

Seen a few comments like this. I totally get then and they are fine if that's how the commenters feel.

But I just think it's a little sad. Star Wars for me has always been about keeping in touch with my inner child. I have 2 children, 3 stepchildren and a history with the darker side of life.. But this universe still makes me feel like the 4yr old that watched one or both of ANH and ESB every Saturday morning in VHS for what in my memory was months on end.

TFA gave me that feeling again which I missed from the PT. Yes it was an imperfect film but its like being in love and seeing past/accepting them for what they are.

Hoping for viewing number 3 this week. I've seen 2d and 3d and while the latter was cool, the 2d was still great and I don't think you lose too much.

Late vote and I know it may not get in the results, but I would give it a 3.

It was a decent enough action movie that I feel most people would like it. However, for those of us who grew up watching the movies (and yes, I saw every one in the theater when it was released), I feel it was a rehash of episode 4. Additional reasons... Finn's switching sides is totally unbelievable, two individuals who have never used a lightsaber in a duel hold their ground against someone who has been trained, the "death star" has a flaw on the surface that will take out the whole base/planet (plus flashback to Episode one when little Ani enters there droid control ship and says "THIS is pod racing")...

On the plus side... No mention of Jar Jar.

Sorry for the late vote here as well.

I enjoyed it!  It was fun, exciting.  Found myself smiling and getting tense.   I was actually looking at objects, not a cartoon. (ie: models, and masks and actors...)  The slightly witty humor was there.

I give it a good 4.  (ANH was 4.5; ESB was 5; ROTJ is 4)  I do not give it a 5 because there was almost too much 'rebooting' of ANH.  I don't mind some of it, Disney is trying to bring in an entire generation that only saw the ep 1-3 on the big screen.  There is enough new material to not call it a re-boot.  

All that being said... Ep 8 and 9 better be unique.  I do not want to see a reboot of them as well.

Edited by Ccwebb

All that being said... Ep 8 and 9 better be unique.  I do not want to see a reboot of them as well.

They will be, according to a few leaks here and there.  Ep 8's Death Star will this time be made out of a half-dozen moons that have been soldered together and called "The Deathticles" whereas Ep 9's Death Star will be a very menacing looking Disco Ball that, if you fire a laser at it, can reflect to all known points of humanity simultaneously, requiring everyone to really "shake their booties down to the ground", according to Acbar.

maybe the best scene in the whole movie. could have lasted for half an hour if you ask me :D

Still think it should have had Ride of the Valkyries playing during that scene.

Still think it should have had Ride of the Valkyries playing during that scene.

Does that then push it beyond homage? (I'm not arguing it was a awesome shot)

I'd rate 4.2

Followed A New Hope storyline, but in my opinion, JJ did a good job in trying to recreate Star Wars. I liked the little bits that weren't CGI, when in the prequels it probably would have been CGI. And I still can't watch the scene when Emo Darth Vader wannabe killed that one guy.

I'm late to the party but I'm going to add my vote anyway.

TFA just beats out ROTJ for me.

Ken Napzok from Screen Junkies came up with some awesome speculation for Episode 8 on Movie Fights-

Star Wars Episode 8 - The Reign Of The First Order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SnsE3fkMLok#t=2697

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge Of The Sith

Attack Of The Clones

The Phantom Menace

Star Wars is Back!!!

It was entertaining, action was great, some laughs and some tears. I think if a movie can accomplish all that, then it's hard to complain - especially with such lofty expectations.

You know a movie is good when you can't wait to see the next film - and that's the case for me.

I'm going to go with "4", Good, and I really liked it. Though I never found myself being really caught up in the action like I was watching the originals, I thoroughly enjoyed the characters in every way, and I eagerly await their upcoming exploits. In my mind, this movie accomplished its mission: show us a Star Wars movie can still be good, and prime us for the next two.