Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens Unofficial Poll thread. Maybe spoliers.

Ugh... The EU wasn't scrapped.

It's on the backburner of "Stuff we can use as we **** well please, without all the hassle of contacting every god damned writer who worked on it."

I'm not sure what you would call it if not scrapped. In the old EU, there was 40ish years of timeline, involving tons of battles, story arcs, character development, etc, etc. that is all gone now. Just because they can use whatever they want from it, whenever they want doesn't change that it's totally gone from how it was. It is gone. Han and Leia don't have 3 kids, (one who dies, one who turns evil, and another who kills him) Luke didn't start a new Jedi order and marry an ex Imperial and has a son of his own(although they used his name) All that was scrapped.

I thought it was Luke's son who was named Ben in the EU?

It was. Ben Skywalker, after Old Ben Kenobi, Luke's mentor and friend. Han's son was Jacen Solo, now Ben Solo, after that old guy he ridiculed about being a " **** fool" and an "old fossil"

The EU debate will go around and around.  I am in the same camp as you but, in fairness, the Disney statement explicitly said "While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded" so it can go either way.  

Ben was also the guy she recorded a message to saying "Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire...Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope" who then goes on to rescue her after her execution has been ordered and enables the destruction of the Death Star.  She might have been able to twist Han's arm or maybe she just bullied him into it :P

Ok, good points. But the name still bothers me because its not an original idea to name a son after Ben Kenobi, and I don't really care for the whole picking bits here and there from the old EU. Let it RIP.

Ok, good points. But the name still bothers me because its not an original idea to name a son after Ben Kenobi, and I don't really care for the whole picking bits here and there from the old EU. Let it RIP.

I thought much of the EU stuff was very bleh and although I am 100% in the "wipe it out. all of it" camp with the EU, I understand how/why some elements will reoccur.  Is it really surprising that Leia and Han would have kids?  Or that their kids would be strong with the Force? Or that logical names for their kids would be things like Ben, Bail, Anakin, Owen, etc?  

Had they called him Jacen, however, I would have been with you.

I would give it a 4.5.  My only qualms were a) astronomical-- the galaxy felt "too small" and b) the way the superweapon was explained was kind of jarring to me.  Too many Resistance guys I didn't care about talking at once.  However, one guy in that scene did say something like, "we have no idea how it works", which helped a bit.

Despite, or perhaps because, I could predict what the characters were about to do in many cases, I liked it a lot.  I also felt Kylo Ren's character was very believable-- he really seemed absolutely, no kidding, totally insane.  Also manipulative, charming when he wanted to be, and thoroughly evil, but with just enough humanity left that I wondered if he could turn back.   I found myself torn about 60-40 on whether he would go dark (60) or light (40) at the key moment on the catwalk.

It may go up with multiple viewings, (Likely after I get to watch it at home with the other movies in the series.

As of today, I would rank the Movies in this order:

V: The Empire Strikes Back

IV: A New Hope

VI: Return of the Jedi

VII: The Force Awakens

III: Revenge of the Sith

II: Attack of the Clones

I: The Phantom Menace

I could see myself raising VII over VI, but I doubt higher than that, and only after repeat veiwing to see if it holds up over time.

my wife wants to go again next weekend.

If my wife would go see it and say she wanted to see it again, my scoring would be higher. She says "Why see it now if your gonna buy it anyway?"

..... kind of the way I feel about watching the Fast and Furious series with you hun.

Oh well.

I've watched the movie twice already (I just bought 2 tickets because I was sure I'd like it...), and it's a solid 2 for me. It wasn't a tragedy, but I really didn't like it. Weak villains (too similar to old villains too: G.Hux is Tarkin, Kylo is Vader and Snoke is Palpatine. Only thing is, I like the 3 old villains better), too many things left unexplained, a repeated plot, the old characters almost didn't spend any time together (and we'll never see Luke and Han sharing screen time again!) and in the end I felt frustrated.

BTW, I must confess... I have to say it or I'll just explode... You can hate me after that if you want, but I have to spit it out... SPOILER alert if you didn't watch the movie...

I said: possible SPOILER (if you didn't watch the movie yet):

I hated Kylo Ren. I hated this character, and not because of what he did, but because to me he's the stupidiest character since Jar Jar Binks, and I'm serious. He is dumb as hell, he's impulsive like a child, he's weak and his whole concept is stupid. His fall to the dark side makes even less sense than Anakin's fall . This new kid on the block had a loving father, a loving mother, a powerful uncle and the hero he worships came back to the light in his final moments. Nobody told that to the kid? Also, "I'll finish what you started". What did Vader start to begin with? He started nothing: Palpatine founded the Empire and begun the hunt for the jedi. Palpatine begun the creation of every war we saw in both trilogies. So what the f... is this little stupid, retarted child saying? "Grandpa, I'll..." WTF?! So he is like Vader, but dumb, childish, weak and stupid.

As I said, it's not like I hated the guy because of what he did, but because I can't get this image out of my head: he's like 'Cartman with authoritah fell to the Dark Side'. Only dumber.

Edited by Rafael Ramus

It may go up with multiple viewings, (Likely after I get to watch it at home with the other movies in the series.

I could see myself raising VII over VI, but I doubt higher than that, and only after repeat veiwing to see if it holds up over time.

Have you seen RotJ lately? We made a point to watch it recently and I can say (in my own opinion of course) that VII is better than VI. TFA didn't have Ewoks. It didn't kill off Boba in ridiculously lame fashion (and yes I know that Boba gets out of the sarlacc in the EU but at the time GL was clearly killing him off). It didn't have a dreadful music number in the middle of a crime boss' lair. RotJ has a number of truly redeeming qualities but it's issues are far far worse than anything that took place in TFA.

I've watched the movie twice already (I just bought 2 tickets because I was sure I'd like it...), and it's a solid 2 for me. It wasn't a tragedy, but I really didn't like it. Weak villains (too similar to old villains too: G.Hux is Tarkin, Kylo is Vader and Snoke is Palpatine. Only thing is, I like the 3 old villains better), too many things left unexplained, a repeated plot, the old characters almost didn't spend any time together (and we'll never see Luke and Han sharing screen time again!) and in the end I felt frustrated.

BTW, I must confess... I have to say it or I'll just explode... You can hate me after that if you want, but I have to spit it out... SPOILER alert if you didn't watch the movie...

I said: possible SPOILER (if you didn't watch the movie yet):

I hated Kylo Ren. I hated this character, and not because of what he did, but because to me he's the stupidiest character since Jar Jar Binks, and I'm serious. He is dumb as hell, he's impulsive like a child, he's weak and his whole concept is stupid. His fall to the dark side makes even less sense than Anakin's fall . This new kid on the block had a loving father, a loving mother, a powerful uncle and the hero he worships came back to the light in his final moments. Nobody told that to the kid? Also, "I'll finish what you started". What did Vader start to begin with? He started nothing: Palpatine founded the Empire and begun the hunt for the jedi. Palpatine begun the creation of every war we saw in both trilogies. So what the f... is this little stupid, retarted child saying? "Grandpa, I'll..." WTF?! So he is like Vader, but dumb, childish, weak and stupid.

As I said, it's not like I hated the guy because of what he did, but because I can't get this image out of my head: he's like 'Cartman with authoritah fell to the Dark Side'. Only dumber.

I would mention a couple of opinions of my own here:

Tarkin was not at all afraid of Vader, and Hux was afraid of Ren

Ren is no where near as menacing as Vader.  Shorter, and also, we know about the light calling him back (and a number of things we saw in the movie may be red herrings, keep in mind)

What was Vader doing?  He was helping to bring order to the chaos of the galaxy, of course.  I'll stop here, since a couple of glasses of wine in me will turn this into a political post, and none of us want that.

Have you seen RotJ lately? We made a point to watch it recently and I can say (in my own opinion of course) that VII is better than VI. TFA didn't have Ewoks. It didn't kill off Boba in ridiculously lame fashion (and yes I know that Boba gets out of the sarlacc in the EU but at the time GL was clearly killing him off). It didn't have a dreadful music number in the middle of a crime boss' lair. RotJ has a number of truly redeeming qualities but it's issues are far far worse than anything that took place in TFA.

Ok, just have to say that the change to the music at Jabba's was a crime against cinema.  

3 - cool dialogs, cool visuals... But they don't explain the main thing for me : why it's a so evident rip off of episodes 4 and 6? That ruined it for me.

Fans wanted movies that were like the originals for 15 years.

Don't you dare start complaining it was too much like them.

I give it a solid 5/7.

No really though 4.8. I can't give it a perfect score because I do have a couple of beefs tbh, but it was a REALLY good, honest entry into the Star Wars franchise.

And also sh*ts all over SWTOR which just FILLS me with utter GLEE.

Found a fellow imgurian. 

Have to agree with you overall. I swear it's the nature of nerds to complain endlessly that things never change and then react with extreme hostility to any changes. Comic fans are the worst for this. 

"Supermans's gotten stale, reinvent him!"

"The new Superman sucks, why did you mess with the classic?"

"No one ever dies, there's no danger!"

"HOW DARE YOU KILL THAT CHARACTER?!"

...And so on. Star Wars fans have similar tendencies, as a collective. I was actually thrilled that they discarded the old EU, it would have turned the movie into three hours of awkward references to what [guy with four seconds of screen time in ESB] was doing. I feel like this was the right distance to be from the original trilogy. 

Would have liked more variety in the starfighters, though. And I think the Starkiller was a bit much but they at least made the concept plausible, unlike the Suncrusher. Any other complaints I may have will depend on what the next two movies bring. Without the whole story it's often impossible to tell if something was actually a mistake or a bad idea. 

I'm going with a 5. Might go see it again tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm aware of how uneven RotJ is.

I just remember how blinded by hype and anticipation I was when Ep. 1 came out. It wasn't until multiple viewings that the problems in that film went from something I defended or ignored, to so grating I had a hard time setting still during them, and instead would fast forward through most of the film not to see them.

I don't think that will happen with VII, but I want more viewings before I place it ahead of anything in the OT

I'm resisting temptation to,go higher and giving it a 4. I believe it's the fanboy in me wanting the 5!

I've spoken of the little imperfections I feel it has elsewhere but I believe it's right up there with ANH. Empire retains top spot but it's a toss up between IV and VII. New one is definitely better than Jedi which I still think is really good.

I was fully expecting the semi reboot feel from TFA so can live with the general similarities but I have high hopes that Ep8 will be even better. It should be free to be its own film and be be unshackled from that need to recapture the OT feel so strongly.

I'm resisting temptation to,go higher and giving it a 4. I believe it's the fanboy in me wanting the 5!

I've spoken of the little imperfections I feel it has elsewhere but I believe it's right up there with ANH. Empire retains top spot but it's a toss up between IV and VII. New one is definitely better than Jedi which I still think is really good.

I was fully expecting the semi reboot feel from TFA so can live with the general similarities but I have high hopes that Ep8 will be even better. It should be free to be its own film and be be unshackled from that need to recapture the OT feel so strongly.

This is basically it. They needed TFA to be a big nostalgia trip to get people back into the series. The next one will really define this trilogy and set up for a grisly awesome finale.

I have mentioned this here once or twice too. TROTJ is not that great. I think it is pretty much this on a 1 to 10 scale.

Empire: 10

Hope: 8.5

Force: 8

Jedi: 7

Sith: 6

And the twenty minutes* of actual STAR WARS that you can pull out in the other two flicks gets a 7.

* (pod race action only, dual of the fates trio fight only, and the Ben & Jango and Yoda combat scenes only)

Dats how I see it anyhows.

:)

I would have said 4 when I saw it the first time on Thursday.  I am now a firm 5.  I'd go 9/10 scale.

I cannot wait for it to come out on DVD/BluRay so I can have it on loop without crushing my wallet, which has already endured 3 showings.  The few gripes I have were all outweighed by the immensely positive experience.  I loved all the new characters and I liked the direction they went with Kylo (which I was hesitant about at first). I cannot wait for Episode 8!

I will likely go into shock when TFA leaves theaters waiting on the DVDs.  I was hyped going into it and was not let down.

It was also touching for my young son/daughter to come out of the theater humming the Star Wars theme.  Cannot wait to spend weeks playing with Star Wars Legos with them!

This is basically it. They needed TFA to be a big nostalgia trip to get people back into the series. The next one will really define this trilogy and set up for a grisly awesome finale.

Star Wars Episode VIII: The First Order Strikes Back.

Thank you for resisting temptation! I want fair and unbiased result for this poll. Also just a bit of nitpicking. A lot of you have been saying "5! I loved it" but then going on to list several things you didn't like. Remember people, 5 is a perfect movie! If you loved it but would change a few things, then it shouldn't be a 5 to you. Maybe a 4.5 or 4.8 but not a full 5. Don't let your fanboy tempt you to artificially inflate your score. If you really loved it to death, 5 away!