Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens Unofficial Poll thread. Maybe spoliers.

Big old 5 for me. Loved it.

Big Bang theory?

Edit for an actual score:

3.6475/5

Shades of Trek Into Darkness.  Probably really good for people that have only a passing familiarity with the original material but a little too similar for die-hard fans.

Something to keep in mind is how little the audience really new back in '77 watching the first film.  The Emperor? Who's that?  Old Republic?  When did that go down?  What the freak were the Clone Wars?  The original film posed a lot of questions without answering them.  I think the EU and especially the prequels ruined a lot of the in-universe feel by answering too many questions (in sometimes very dumb ways).

My only real complaint is Zombie-Voldemort.  What. The. Hell.

Edited by gamblertuba

So after the votes so far, as a community, we are ranking Star Wars The Force Awakens as a solid 3.95 out of 5. Also of note is that no one has ranked it less than a 3 so far, although I have seen a few really negative posts on other threads. So keep it going if you haven't voted yet. The more votes we get the more accurate our results will be.

4.5; I have a few complaints about the plot and some Star Wars dork related complaints, but the little call outs to the OT (I loved the two Stormtroopers talking about T17, and how on the forest planet we god another lookover all the aliens like in the original Cantina scene) and just, how fun it overall was, there was good actor interaction, BB-8 was absolute adorable as well, I want one.

1 for me. Hated since the first shot. Zero character development, zero insights on politics and the whole sw universe, just a bunch of improbable characters, horrible acting and nonsensical loopholes. Plus, the plot is mostly copied from Episode 4. Waste of money

1 for me. Hated since the first shot. Zero character development, zero insights on politics and the whole sw universe, just a bunch of improbable characters, horrible acting and nonsensical loopholes. Plus, the plot is mostly copied from Episode 4. Waste of money

Cool- I know who i'm never asking about movies/ going to a party with. Thanks for giving me that heads up.

I'd rate Episode 7 a 5. Damned near perfect. It was all i wanted from Episode 7 and then some. 

Tried to squeeze a little bit too much movie into a 2 hour and 15 minute window. Consequently, there was a little less character development on the new characters than I'd like to have seen.

Oh well, there's always the next movie.

:mellow: Uhh... wow.

BOO%252520TOPIC%2525201.png

The character development was perfect. Every time I see some one complain about character development I am reminded of... A NEW HOPE!!! We are SUPPOSED to be left in a the dark a bit. I don't want every bit of back story information on each character OR to know exactly how they will react in all situations, because there is more films to come.

The dialog with Poe and Finn.... and Rey and Finn... and Rey/Finn/Solo was well done. Kylo Ren's character was great. It was a complete 180 on how Vader was portrayed in A new Hope. The star killer thing was certainly a correlation to the original films that we could have lived without, but it was not terrible.

The first thing I said after I saw it last night was, "Best SW film since Empire." And the next words out of my mouth were, "I can't for 36 hours when I'm going to see the film again."

Cool- I know who i'm never asking about movies/ going to a party with. Thanks for giving me that heads up.

I'd rate Episode 7 a 5. Damned near perfect. It was all i wanted from Episode 7 and then some.

BOO%2520TOPIC%25201.png

[/quotAlx

Ok, while I don't agree with Julia, they are entitled to their opinion. That is why I started this post. There are no "bad posts" as long as they are no belligerent or rude. Julia is the first vote below 3, so their opinion is not widely held.

BOO%2520TOPIC%25201.png

[/quotAlx

Ok, while I don't agree with Julia, they are entitled to their opinion. That is why I started this post. There are no "bad posts" as long as they are no belligerent or rude. Julia is the first vote below 3, so their opinion is not widely held.

Even the Prequels are not a freaking one... damns.

:rolleyes:

4.8 from me. Great acting (something Lucas struggled with), really great action pieces, quality art direction, a 3 dimensional villain, unforced humour, and recognizable/new themes from John Williams. I only wished we saw some more ships. But seriously, Poe is a pilot skill 9... hand down.

As for all the "same" complaints. People complained that the prequels were too different, then they complain when something is familiar. Honestly, I loved that part in ANH when the heros steal a TIE fighter and escape a ISD. Or that one time when there were these aliens and scum in a freighter, or that epic lightsaber fight in the snow... Oh wait, those were unique to this film. Sure, there are similar elements, but that is why it "feels" like Star Wars.

In general, it would be hard pressed to ever have something beat your memory of the OT because you grew up with it. They are still making millions on iconography from 40 years ago. This is just a story, with similar beats, for a new generation. One that I hope keeps the tenor of this first episode. I am just enjoying something I never thought would happen.

Just my two cents.

Solid 2...possibly 3 if some how I can just accept the fact that no one will be able to capture the magic/originality of the original trilogy, and I'm not talking about the nostalgia that I grew up with.

So many things wrong and too few things right.  I won't waste my time going through all of it.  Over-hyped and I'm disappointed that such story telling will be rewarded with a fat box office check that it doesn't deserve.  This will continue to drive the industry to make flashy fast paced ADHD movies with very little time spent on a quality story, character development and plot.

Solid 2...possibly 3 if some how I can just accept the fact that no one will be able to capture the magic/originality of the original trilogy, and I'm not talking about the nostalgia that I grew up with.

So many things wrong and too few things right.  I won't waste my time going through all of it.  Over-hyped and I'm disappointed that such story telling will be rewarded with a fat box office check that it doesn't deserve.  This will continue to drive the industry to make flashy fast paced ADHD movies with very little time spent on a quality story, character development and plot.

This is kinda how I felt, but to a lesser extent.(I was not as disappointed as you) I agree that it felt rushed and a bit jumpy, but then slightly slow and drawn out in others. That is why I gave it a 3. That and the fact that Disney scrapped the EU, then used an almost identical plot point and even used a name from the EU!(Han's son turning evil-naming him Ben) Just have an original idea JJ!

This is kinda how I felt, but to a lesser extent.(I was not as disappointed as you) I agree that it felt rushed and a bit jumpy, but then slightly slow and drawn out in others. That is why I gave it a 3. That and the fact that Disney scrapped the EU, then used an almost identical plot point and even used a name from the EU!(Han's son turning evil-naming him Ben) Just have an original idea JJ!

I thought it was Luke's son who was named Ben in the EU?

Ugh... The EU wasn't scrapped.

It's on the backburner of "Stuff we can use as we **** well please, without all the hassle of contacting every god damned writer who worked on it."

I'm not sure what you would call it if not scrapped. In the old EU, there was 40ish years of timeline, involving tons of battles, story arcs, character development, etc, etc. that is all gone now. Just because they can use whatever they want from it, whenever they want doesn't change that it's totally gone from how it was. It is gone. Han and Leia don't have 3 kids, (one who dies, one who turns evil, and another who kills him) Luke didn't start a new Jedi order and marry an ex Imperial and has a son of his own(although they used his name) All that was scrapped.

It was. Ben Skywalker, after Old Ben Kenobi, Luke's mentor and friend. Han's son was Jacen Solo, now Ben Solo, after that old guy he ridiculed about being a " **** fool" and an "old fossil"

currently i rate it at about a 2.5.. it was almost OK, but it wasn't that bad either

characters have potential but the last half of the movie was terrible with the same plot as episodes 4 and 6

hopefully with a second watch later down the road it will upgrade to at least a 3 because i might have missed a few key moments in the dialogue that might explain a few missing pieces

my review is here

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/196157-the-force-awakens-your-reaction-spoilers/page-12

Ugh... The EU wasn't scrapped.

It's on the backburner of "Stuff we can use as we **** well please, without all the hassle of contacting every god damned writer who worked on it."

I'm not sure what you would call it if not scrapped. In the old EU, there was 40ish years of timeline, involving tons of battles, story arcs, character development, etc, etc. that is all gone now. Just because they can use whatever they want from it, whenever they want doesn't change that it's totally gone from how it was. It is gone. Han and Leia don't have 3 kids, (one who dies, one who turns evil, and another who kills him) Luke didn't start a new Jedi order and marry an ex Imperial and has a son of his own(although they used his name) All that was scrapped.

It was. Ben Skywalker, after Old Ben Kenobi, Luke's mentor and friend. Han's son was Jacen Solo, now Ben Solo, after that old guy he ridiculed about being a " **** fool" and an "old fossil"

The EU debate will go around and around.  I am in the same camp as you but, in fairness, the Disney statement explicitly said "While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded" so it can go either way.  

Ben was also the guy she recorded a message to saying "Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire...Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope" who then goes on to rescue her after her execution has been ordered and enables the destruction of the Death Star.  She might have been able to twist Han's arm or maybe she just bullied him into it :P

I'm going with a 5.

Were there parts that bugged me? Of course. (Another planet destroying super weapon?! Why?) Regardless, the characters, action, and the FEEL of Star Wars made such fumbles not only acceptable, but part of an entertaining trip to a galaxy far, far away. Seriously, all of the movies have had their flaws. (Without a functioning hyperdrive, how exactly did the Falcon get from the Hoth system to Bespin in so short a time? At light speed, which the Falcon couldn't reach on Empire, it'd take four years to get to the nearest star system to us...)

Bottom line: I thought VII was awesome, and I will happily watch it again. And again, and again.... Kinda like the classic trilogy.