Sign in to follow this  
ClavainRS

Poe Dameron.

I'm not a fan of any pilot, other than Vader who is the best pilot the galaxy has ever seen, having a PS of 9 naturally.  The argument for Han is he got the jump on Vader in IV.  Wedge did survive 2 Death Stars and the Battle of Hoth.  Everyone else is suspect...

Han also made the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs!

:D

Besides Vader in ANH and one episode of the show Rebels have we ever been shown an Imperial Ace? I mean I get it, only the good guys get to be ace pilots. But it would be nice to see ace Imperial/FO pilots in some of the upcoming movies (until they get shot down due to plot reasons)

Besides General Veers of course, the Empire's most elite ace that happens to be in an AT-AT. 

he was a good guy ace long before that became mainstream

Again, A New Hope clearly showed Vader as an ace with him taking down most of the Rebel ships effortlessly. Wedge never had a moment like that in the movies. The idea of him being some super special ace pilot is pure EU material. That's not a bad thing, but let's not pretend Poe didn't outclass Wedge onscreen in virtually every respect. 

Edited by WingedSpider

Again, A New Hope clearly showed Vader as an ace with him taking down most of the Rebel ships effortlessly. Wedge never had a moment like that in the movies. The idea of him being some super special ace pilot is pure EU material. That's not a bad thing, but let's not pretend Poe didn't outclass Wedge onscreen in virtually every respect. 

Outside of killing Red Leader, Vader flies in a straight line down the trench and shoots down X-wings and Y-wings that are barely moving to evade, and takes tons of shots to track onto his targets; Going strictly by what's shown on screen everyone at the first Death Star battle was a chump next to any given random pilot in the background of TFA. You can't use late 70's-early 80's, pioneering, first of their kind rotoscoping and miniatures work special effects compared against current generation, state of the art, has been perfected for years CGI sequences as a bar to judge relative pilot skills.

Going not by the special effects of what he did, but what all he did (be one of only 3 surviving pilots from the Death Star attack, the only pilot we see actually pull off the AT-AT roping in Empire, and he appears as Red Leader and is one of the only two rebel ships to make it all the way to the core of the second Death Star and back out again) he deserved the nods he got in the EU to being an awesome pilot. By the same extension, yes, Vader does too for all the kills he racks up at the first Death Star; the special effects just weren't there in the 70's-80's to really show off their moves.

Somewhat related point. People complain about Chewie getting no medal at the end of Episode 4. At least he got to be in the ceremony. Wedge and that other surviving Y-wing pilot are just out in the crowd I guess.

Edited by Otacon

It'll never happen, but it'd warm the cold cockles of my heart to have old man Wedge show up in Ep VIII and tell Poe "Not bad kid. Here, lemme show you how it's done", then fly circles around him

Im still hoping Luke flies his T-65 in the next one.

but I wedge would be great to.

Oh man! That would be awesome. Luke and Rey not only gathers up the various Jedi or force-sensitives he knows to help in the fight against the First Order but also various old pilots who flew with. Maybe reform rogue squadron. :)

I'm not a fan of any pilot, other than Vader who is the best pilot the galaxy has ever seen, having a PS of 9 naturally.  The argument for Han is he got the jump on Vader in IV.  Wedge did survive 2 Death Stars and the Battle of Hoth.  Everyone else is suspect...

small.srlzg.gif.5cc96b19403741833966dfcb

I always figured Han was a PS 9 not because he got the drop on Vader, but because he was able to fly a light freighter through an asteroid field at maximum speed while pilots in smaller, more maneuverable craft were spanging off of asteroids left and right.  That, and he was crazy/ballsy enough to "move to attack position" on multiple ISD's.  (Yes, I recognize the prequel trilogy had that too, but if you ask me, all that did was cheapen Han's efforts -- not to mention Threepio's calculations).

Oh man! That would be awesome.

I don't expect to see much of Luke or Leia in the next movie to be honest. Luke will most likely be a mentor/trainer and Leia will have at most as much of a role as she did in TFA.

The same goes for most people from the OT. Disney seems to want the new movies to be about the new characters.

Might be off topic, but this would be awesome (in my opionion)

The Heros are fleeing from the FO, and General Hux Is talling to a Tie Pilot.

"Take the 181st and HUNT THEM DOWN!"

"Yes Sir! I won't let you down."

"Let's hope not, you have a name to uphold, Lieutenant Fel."

I was kind of hoping we'd get a brief cameo of Wedge saying something about how Poe was an excellent student. Would have been cool to see the classic Ultimate Ace pass the torch on to the new one. I don't feel that we really lost anything by not having this happen but it still would have been cool. I'm just happy I can point at something and say "that's what Wedge was like. THAT's why Wedge was called 'the best pilot in the galaxy'".

I was kind of hoping we'd get a brief cameo of Wedge saying something about how Poe was an excellent student. Would have been cool to see the classic Ultimate Ace pass the torch on to the new one. I don't feel that we really lost anything by not having this happen but it still would have been cool. I'm just happy I can point at something and say "that's what Wedge was like. THAT's why Wedge was called 'the best pilot in the galaxy'".

Denis Lawson, the actor for Wedge, hates Star Wars and doesn't want to be associated with it. The chances of him showing up in a new movie are near zero. 

Denis Lawson, the actor for Wedge, hates Star Wars and doesn't want to be associated with it. The chances of him showing up in a new movie are near zero. 

You're thinking of Harrison Ford, who for years has been pretty actively hostile to Star Wars. As I mentioned before, Denis Lawson said he'd be willing to come back if the role had something to it but wasn't interested when it turned out he was likely to just be a cameo, likely in the Starkiller Base briefing scene. Nothing he's actually said has given any indication he hates Star Wars. Maybe if there's a more interesting roll for, say, a General Antilles in Episode VIII he could show up again.

Edited by Otacon

I like his 'attitude' in the movie; a typical fighter pilot with guts and a mile-high ego if you've ever seen one.

that be said: he seriously needs to be blown away by some faceless TIE-jockey with the words "all too easy" in the next movie. would be hilarious  :D

Edited by WokeUpDead

Hell, honestly... I sustain that he's equal if not better than Han. Han's good, but is he REALLY better than Lando..?

#TeamLando

Did you forget that time that Han flew through an Asteroid field? Sorry, but Han may very well be the best pilot in the galaxy.

TFA spoiler:

Well, WAS anyway.

TFA sequel Spoiler

Cyborg-Ghost Han will be even better

Somewhat related point. People complain about Chewie getting no medal at the end of Episode 4. At least he got to be in the ceremony. Wedge and that other surviving Y-wing pilot are just out in the crowd I guess.

Chewie chose to be rewarded with food.

Edited by Vulf

Needs his PS upped to 10.  That is all.

Nah, still a rookie compared to Cheese Wedge 

But like, Wedge didn't actually do anything impressive in the movies. He shot a couple TIE Fighters and threw some torpedoes at a big giant still object with no defenses whatsoever.

Poe on the other hand did that and then some.

Ah,   Saved luke when he had a tie on him, or the movie would have ended right there.

Edited by eagletsi111

I like his 'attitude' in the movie; a typical fighter pilot with guts and a mile-high ego if you've ever seen one.

that be said: he seriously needs to be blown away by some faceless TIE-jockey with the words "all too easy" in the next movie. would be hilarious  :D

faceless yes, but not nameless

9537_10156300755830142_26035403606909028

Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but my friend was talking about Poe Dameron's ability, and he said he could change a focus roll to a hit, even when he is defending because it does not specify. This means that if he had enough evades, he could then hit me. I told him he was wrong and we argued for a while and then I let him have the W. Was he actually right about this???

Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but my friend was talking about Poe Dameron's ability, and he said he could change a focus roll to a hit, even when he is defending because it does not specify. This means that if he had enough evades, he could then hit me. I told him he was wrong and we argued for a while and then I let him have the W. Was he actually right about this???

Are you saying that while defending (rolling green dice), your friend tried to say he could change a focus to a hit (from a red dice)?

If that is what you are saying...no.  Just...no.  You cannot change the face of a die (which is what the ability does) to a face that doesn't exist on the die.  As an aside, Poe's ability only works once per roll.

I'm surprised you guys haven't talked adaptability or whatever its called, too lazy to look, But the 0 point card were you can either reduce or raise you pilot skill by 1.

Poe is just lucky, the Tie were mainly focus on the ground and then x wings come in and they were all ****! we can't fight on two fronts, because on the starkiller run the Tie's destroyed like half of the sqaud.