Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens. Your reaction? (Spoilers)

Not going to lie, seeing it a second time really helped. The Han/Kylo scene hit me much harder the second time.

feeling more and more like I need to do the same to really judge it.

I don't know whether it was the 25 minutes of trailers before or just the general excitement of NEW STAR WARS, but I was able to really get more on the second watch through. The score really started to come across as well. 

And there are some amazingly tiny touches in the Han/Kylo scene that I was able to appreciate as well. 

Edited by Sithborg

Had to see it twice.  Last night and today.   Had to think about it.    

I LOVED it.  

Women in many different roles.  Comic relief in the form of actual comedy as opposed to a goofy alien.  Harrison Ford completely OWNED the film - honestly he stole the show!  Finn, Rey and Poe all did incredible as well!   The interactions were great.   I CARED about the characters!   I can't wait to see what happens next!

Is Rey Luke's Daughter?   If not, who ARE her parents?

Will Finn become a Jedi?   

Will Rey wield a double bladed saber similar to her staff?  

Will Kylo Ren get a new helm?

Is Snoke actually short?  

Can Kylo Ren be redeemed?   And would any of us want that at this point?

Will Lando show up?

Will Leia ever wield a lightsaber?!?!?!

Saw it twice today, and yes, it was variations on a theme by A New Hope, but it was also a welcome back to the days of high adventure.  Actors gave great performances, and the return to practical effects where possible definitely shows, and was a good idea.  The details were incredible.  I honestly did kinda miss the 20th Century Fox fanfare before the Star Wars theme (was odd to go into the crawl without it) but I can deal with that.  Phasma got the short end of the stick in this one, but I'm hopeful for her part to be expanded in the rest.  I also almost wish for an expanded cut after -redacted- dies, with full on wookiee rage murder fest, but I understand why that couldn't happen.

I think Snoke is Wicket, turned to the Dark Side.

And Lando **** well better show up.

Sorry this was so disorganized, first place I've gathered any thoughts on it.

Also, I played using Poe for the first time last night........  and it went kinda like the part in the movie when Poe flies through above Finn killing everything in sight.

Edited by Audio Weasel

I have to say, Ren was not a scary bad guy at all.  

Vader Mad = Force Choke the Messanger, everyone stands by in pure terror

Ren Mad = Slice up some perfectly good equipment and everyone just kinda pretends it's not happening.

Vader had a reputation, someone to be feared.  Poe wasn't even phased by Ren...

I actually feel like this makes a lot more sense, honestly.  If someone is truly ruled by "anger, fear, and aggression", they aren't calm, cunning, manipulative, scary dudes with a low tolerance for failure.  They're petulant whiny brats who go off on who or whatever happens to be close when they snap, regardless of their actual relation to the cause of their frustration.

I'm also not sure Poe's reaction is the proper judge - honestly, it didn't seem like ANYTHING phased the guy.  He went through a couple rounds of torture without being phased by it.  And given what we saw of Ren's powers - grabbing a freaking blaster bolt with the Force - there's a fair argument that if Poe wasn't afraid of him, the problem there is with Poe, not Ren.

Woah,woah, woah! Don't you dare maline my new favorite character! His acting was perfect! But maybe you're on to something...

Not going to lie, seeing it a second time really helped. The Han/Kylo scene hit me much harder the second time.

I think that will be the case for me too!

Had to see it twice.  Last night and today.   Had to think about it.    

I LOVED it.  

Women in many different roles.  Comic relief in the form of actual comedy as opposed to a goofy alien.  Harrison Ford completely OWNED the film - honestly he stole the show!  Finn, Rey and Poe all did incredible as well!   The interactions were great.   I CARED about the characters!   I can't wait to see what happens next!

Is Rey Luke's Daughter?   If not, who ARE her parents?

Will Finn become a Jedi?   

Will Rey wield a double bladed saber similar to her staff?  

Will Kylo Ren get a new helm?

Is Snoke actually short?  

Can Kylo Ren be redeemed?   And would any of us want that at this point?

My son hates Mace Windu with a pasion(to the point of tossing out his action figure and writing him hate mail) because Windu killed his favorite character, Jango Fett. If I'm anything like my five year old(and he's practically my Clone) I am going to hate Kylo Ren and hope he dies a horrible death, for killing my favorite character!

Something else that hit me after the movie.

The lightsaber fights felt much more visceral and heavy, like they did in the OT. Not that there is anything wrong with jumpy spinny flippy fighting, but I like this style better.

No, there is absolutely *everything* wrong with the jumpy spinny flippy fighting.  The sabre fights in this movie looked like they were trying to kill their opponent, not like they were dancing at a rave with glowsticks.

Edited by HolySorcerer

Something else that hit me after the movie.

The lightsaber fights felt much more visceral and heavy, like they did in the OT. Not that there is anything wrong with jumpy spinny flippy fighting, but I like this style better.

No, there is absolutely *everything* wrong with the jumpy spinny flippy fighting.  The sabre fights in this movie looked like they were trying to kill their opponent, not like they were dancing at a rave with glowsticks.

It was trying to be Crouching Jedi Hidden Sith, and just didn't work.  Here, we had a total brutal slugfest with lazerswords

Edited by Audio Weasel

Came back from watching Episode 7.

Good stuff. Rey's character, Han Solo and Chewie, Poe's character, BB-8, Ren and his inner conflict. The still flying Falcon

Not good. Rushed big planet endgame, some humour points were weak, Big eyeglasses character should have NOT been CGI. Force unknown to mastery in one movie. 

Plot Points to discuss:

A Star Killer base can't sneak around and, even if your military is paired down, your intel agency would be working hard and fast and would know if a super weapon was being created. Can't really hide that thing. and if you have a treaty presence then you have diplomatic ties, and if you don't you have spy ties.

The Resistance is only a small squadron of star fighters. No capital ship presence.

Physics of weapon don't work. A planet sucking up a star would be intaking not only its energy but its mass as well. the gravity alone would crush every single thing on that planet. Remember that E=MCstuff well how do you think it would apply to the mass of a star. Also the MIRV warhead style was stupid. I thought this thing would zip into a system and blow up the star, not suck up a star and shoot it off in multiple directions at once. This is a broken design.

The rushed plan to destroy the planet base was lame. I would have preferred if the weapon was disabled and severe damage was inflicted instead of the planet blowing up entirely. Would have been a better setup for the next episode and made more sense (bad guys learning from previous single point of failure design).

Snoke looking like a really bad CGI character (even if he was Skyping it in it should be a way better picture than that). I've seen better CGI than that.

Rey's mastery of the force in so short of an order. If she was doing force pull stuff already then it's easier to believe the mind trick, sword skill, force pull, visions and such. Kylo should have beaten her up as a practiced knight over her just learned stuff.

Will think on the rest of it...

I enjoyed it overall. It's not quite the same rehash as Episode 4 like everyone wants to believe. I had heard that it was similar to Episode 4, so I watched A New Hope last night so I could digest the film and look at the differences...

Poe: Ace pilot, not a princess. 

Finn: Nothing like what luke was. This isn't a farm boy, this is an elite soldier.

Rey: fits more in the luke roll, parents abandoned her at early age, but still, she's good with her staff, been learning survival tricks almost all her life. Not raide on a farm.

Han: Fills the mentor roll, so yeah like old ben kenobi.

Chewie: wwwwwwrrrraaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh

BB-8: It's an astromech, what do you expect? Of course he's going to be similar to R2-D2.

Starkiller base: as pointed out in the film, makes the death star look WEAK. 

While it does follow closely to the original script George had before Episode 4 became what it is we love today, I think we as star wars fans have needed a movie like this since The prequels. 

Some follow up as to what now:

New resistance ships, since half the fleet was destroyed? (Republic has a fleet and their not helping, tisk tisk...)

Kylo recover his mask? Get a new one?

Is Finn force sensitive?

Is Han dead....

Okay, so he took a lightsaber to the gut. Same as Qui-gon. Now Qui-gon bled out because obi wan took to long in his duel with Maul, and Qui-gon didn't get medical help immediately because of that. Maybe 15-20 minutes tops. 

Kylo knew he was going to fight Han, and probably expected there would be a confrontation. He probably expected to at least pull the trick he did. But what if he's not as far gone as snook thinks he is? what if there was a droid or something to catch and heal Han within this 15 minute window? Or phasma catches him as she's escaping from the trash compactor. Also Harrison Ford is reprising his role for 8,9,10, so what of that? Now in 8 I expect there to be some flashback scenes of him, but in 9? that shouldn't be happening. Empire was more an explanation story, by Return of the jedi were all set for the big finale. This should also be the case. And what of 10?

Yes I just made an argument about Han Solo not being dead....

anyway, whether Han is truly dead or not remains to be seen, and we have 3 long years to wait and fill us with rogue one, the Han origin story, and some cool Boba Fett movie. 

Also a personal side not, I like how Adam driver started out sounding like Hayden or prequels Anakin, when discussing his lust for power, but then branches out into his own character. Good acting pace on that.

Overall I give JJ abrams a solid 9/10, good work to reboot the franchise. He seems to be good at doing that. The first star trek was decent enough. I'm glad though that he has bowed out because I would hate to see an into darkness version of star wars.

I've kinda been traumatised by this movie. Han's death has really affected me.

The sad thing his life had become in the years following ROTJ.

Lost his family and direction and ended up like a cornered animal with all his bridges burned.

And then gutted and kicked down a hole like a piece of s***.

I haven't read the whole thread, or much reation stuff anywhere so I don't know if this was a widespread reaction. Maybe I'm a wimp.

It just seemed to me that in the end his life and sacrifices weren't worth it.

It could just be that I really don't need a message like that at the moment.

I liked the rest of the film, but I found  too much had been spoiled for my taste, and pretty much everything I was looking forward to got kicked down the road.

(ie. where was carries daughter?, new 2 legged walkers (guess they were just toys), new gun-head walkers, how the sabre was recovered, knights of ren, reys identity, anything about luke, I could go on).

I wanted to love the film and generally I am a fan who works with them, but there were big downsides for me.

I'm still on side but i don't trust them as much anymore.

Overall I loved it. Especially the new characters. I do agree with many others that some of it was too rushed and I would have enjoyed a little more background on the resistance. But the one big thing I wish was done differently was the reveal that Kylo Ren is Leias and Hans son. I wish the reveal was on the catwalk.

Han: take off the mask

Kylo: what do you expect to see

Han: my son

I mean that would have been perfect

Remember, Kylo was injured. He took a bowcaster shot to the gut. So, he definitely wasn't on his A game. 

Not mention that Kylo's training is no where near complete. It appears he is still roughly in a place that Luke was in Empire... relatively unpolished. AND Snoke said as much towards the end when Starkiller was destroyed.

Overall I loved it. Especially the new characters. I do agree with many others that some of it was too rushed and I would have enjoyed a little more background on the resistance. But the one big thing I wish was done differently was the reveal that Kylo Ren is Leias and Hans son. I wish the reveal was on the catwalk.

Agreed

Agreed

He did kinda' say that.

Agreed

He did kinda' say that.
What I mean is I wish that was the moment we find out Kylo is Hans son.

my personal take on everything episode 7

i'll start off with my positives before i work into the negatives

Positives:

Rey: a strong female lead character and one that has a great story that clearly needs to be told and the movie didn't do much to spoil it. i'm guessing she's likely Luke's child

Fin: probably my favorite new character, and if he's force sensitive (i can't recall if he actually had a force moment or not but i think so considering he went toe to toe with Kilo Ren) then he's due do be in constant pull of the dark path because he's clearly very emotional but hates the First Order

BB-8: another cute droid and has his moments and no star wars movie would be complete without some sort of cheese

Poe Dameron: crazy elite pilot and and all around ace of a guy, what's not to love about him?

Kilo Ren: for someone that's supposed to be a large part of control of the First order, this guy seems rather.. untrained and childish.. but here's hoping his character grows

I loved where the story of the movie was going and i wish it would have kept going until the movie took a weird and what i thought was a rushed ending

i believe the biggest strength to these new films will be if they focus directly on their new and strong characters

Negatives:

i'm going to start with the Ending.   Now something about this whole last hour of the movie seemed off putting to me.. it felt like Jar Jar Abrams was trying to implement major nostalgia by combining both a new hope and return of the jedi into one stupid and boring ending

how many times do they have to make a larger and larger death star? gawd ****!

honestly they even set up for a potential major cliff hanger if they had chosen a different path.. Fin had no idea how to blow up the **** thing, he just took a wild guess and only did so because he wanted to get Rey back.. how crazy would have the movie had been if instead Fin and Rey find each other but the x-wing bombing run failed, and the majority of the Resistance was wiped out (carrie fisher included) leaving what remains of the resistance to run and hide in the shadows and slowly gain numbers again while Rey and Fin find Luke and begin their training to help bring balance back to the galaxy.. this type of plot would make for a great episode 8 follow up

but instead i found the ending very dull and at no point did i feel like the movie came to a climax.. it was just a sequence of little things that just sort of... well.. happened

secondly, where was the surprise knowing that Kilo Ren was Han's kid?.. instead of just announcing it to leia they could have built it up so that maybe they meet on that bridge face to face, and right before he kills Han the truth comes out.  which would have actually shocked us to find out that not only was he Han's kid but that Han was just killed by his own son all in the span of a few seconds... minds would have been blown and it would have helped make this movie a lot better

as it stands as soon as i saw kilo ren walking across the bridge and han following after i immediately looked at my wife and said "this is where Han dies".. so predictable

third, i'm also on the fence about the way Rey and Luke met at the end.. it seemed like there were no good ideas on how they should meet up

Forth, while entertaining and funny, how Rey knew how to use the jedi mind trick on the guard trooper when she, A. didn't even know she had force powers to begin with and B. never had any training, i found it out of place and odd

all in all i give this movie a 5/10.. i'm not sure whether i like it or hate it.. i know the ending was terrible but the characters have so much potential to grow into something huge

but i know this much for sure.. they need a new director for episode 8.. JJ Abrams doesn't know how to tell a good story with depth and character.. this movie was shallow

Agreed
He did kinda' say that.
What I mean is I wish that was the moment we find out Kylo is Hans son.

Eh.

I don't expect many people to read this because I found myself skipping over giant portions of this thread (I probably missed plenty of great comments and thoughts but fortunately missed out on plenty of others not worth the time - put this post in whichever of those categories you prefer). I guess I just need to put some thoughts out there.

First, I really liked this film. It was immensely enjoyable to watch. I took my kids to see it (basically 7 and 11) and they really enjoyed it too. I basically grew up with Star Wars. Some of my earliest memories are of watching Star Wars and ESB on VHS and then seeing RotJ in the theater. There were plenty of imperfections with this film but I didn't go in looking for that. I went in hoping for a return to what made the original films great and in large part we got that. When I saw RotJ as a 7 year old or thereabouts I loved every second of it. As I grew up I realized how truly dreadful and painful certain elements of that film are to sit through. The slapstick crap with Blind Han accidentally knocking the greatest Bounty Hunter ever into the sarlacc is just abysmal. And then Ewoks happened. That film has some great redeeming qualities but it's a severely flawed film.

TFA is not perfect. Kylo Ren is not a perfect villain. Some of the humor in this film was both forced and contrived. But at no time did any of these things feel painful to sit through. There were no little kid Anakin moments. No nails on a chalkboard level irritation from a Jar Jar Binks (or outright stupidity). No horribly written and acted dialogue surrounding a forced love scene/falling in love sequence. No ridiculously stupid manner to kill off an insanely popular character. Everyone can see the stark difference between the first two films and everything else that plagued the later George Lucas films. TFA did a really good job of taking it back to the level of the first two films before elements of the franchise went off the rails.

A little while after we saw Han and Chewie for the first time in TFA I found myself pondering the necessity for the OT characters to eventually come to an end one way or another. They have all aged tremendously since the beginning and real life frequently gets in the way. Heck, following the plane crash we are fortunate Harrison Ford was still around to return at all. Star Wars is much much better having him return to the screen and die in this manner than to lose him in real life and not have that opportunity. But they were all very broken and or vulnerable in this film. Chewie gets shot and for a short but you think he isn't going to make it. Leia has aged and her fractured relationship with her husband, brother and son are all a key element to the film. R2 is basically shown to be nearing the end of his lifespan. 3PO has a replaced arm. Luke is basically in hiding and a hermit and psychologically damaged in addition to aged. There are still lose ends to tie up and it looks as if Luke should have a prominent role in Episode 8 but you are left with the feeling that he will fulfill some sort of important purpose in 8 and then he too will have his character arc come to a conclusion. It was indeed a passing of the torch and that will be taken to the next step 2 years from now. All that being said I think they did a tremendous job of bridging the excellence of the original films to the future of the franchise and the overall tenor from this film sets up an expectation of higher quality films in the future. The franchise hasn't been in this good of a place since the ending of ESB.

I've kinda been traumatised by this movie. Han's death has really affected me.

The sad thing his life had become in the years following ROTJ.

Lost his family and direction and ended up like a cornered animal with all his bridges burned.

And then gutted and kicked down a hole like a piece of s***.

I haven't read the whole thread, or much reation stuff anywhere so I don't know if this was a widespread reaction. Maybe I'm a wimp.

It just seemed to me that in the end his life and sacrifices weren't worth it.

It could just be that I really don't need a message like that at the moment.

I liked the rest of the film, but I found  too much had been spoiled for my taste, and pretty much everything I was looking forward to got kicked down the road.

(ie. where was carries daughter?, new 2 legged walkers (guess they were just toys), new gun-head walkers, how the sabre was recovered, knights of ren, reys identity, anything about luke, I could go on).

I wanted to love the film and generally I am a fan who works with them, but there were big downsides for me.

I'm still on side but i don't trust them as much anymore.

I feel very much like this.

I totally agree. The reveal was handled poorly imo, as was Han's death/the Rebels no caring about it very much.

So who was the old dude at the very beginning who had the map to Luke? 

And who do you think Rey's parents are?

As for the old guy, he's obviously a surviving Alderanian, as he called her Princess(or just a Rebellion era holdout, but I think Alderanian) As to why he's important/how he found info on Luke, your guess is as good as mine. As for Reys parents, I'm betting it is one of two couples(Han and Leia's or Luke and the force "there was no mother, I can't explain how it happened")

Jk on that force mother thing. It was really that fat dancer from Jabbas palace.

Saw it last night and this afternoon.

Last night, first impressions: loved all the new characters and locals. Loved all the non CGI stuff. A bit to much of a remix of IV. Loved that Han and Chewie were a main story line. HATED Ren's character, specially when the mask was off, just wasn't believable. Was scared we went full LOTR with Snoke's appearance, glad it was a hologram. Didn't know many spoilers ahead of time and was some how sucked into thinking Han was going to convince "Ben" to come back around. Don't think I have been more pissed while watching a movie. Over all: 8/10.

This afternoon: same as above, but something clicked with me with Ren's character, mask on and especially off. TONS of more questions on the 2nd watch, most that have been posted here. As much complaining about it being like IV, think about that audience in '77 and how many effing questions people had when they left the theater then, Abrams did that today to! Bravo!!! Overall: 9/10.

It deserves a few watch throughs for sure!