Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens. Your reaction? (Spoilers)

Well went to the premiere and i regret... i could have go on some normal projection in later date... the movie well... it sucks!!! 

- Whole Starkiler thing is so stupid... well the Empire build 2 Death Stars... so let's build a Death Planet and blow away the Republic with it... WTF??? \

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resistance Base: 

- "Leia" Ummmm the FO has a Death Planet what should we do? 

- some random resercher "If we blow the oscilator it should blow up"

- "Leia" but the planet is shielded??

- "Fin" no sweat i know how to disable the shield you see i was a janitor and they showed me how to do it and where the controls are since every janitor should know that... come on!!!! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kylo??? come on the guy look like a spoiled chiled with issues :/ the worst actor in the whole movie... 

Star wars hasn't been good for around 30 years. Then he-who-must-not-be-named drew a mustache on his Mona Lisa.

This is the next generation, handing the baton, the new standard by which all things will be compared. Copying the one that started it all, the good version, is not really a sin.

But if I admire the original Mona Lisa, I don't really want to look at another painting that is remarkably similar to the Mona Lisa again, even if it is very good. That's how I feel anyway.

Visually stunning, but I thought the story was just alright. 

THE GOOD:
Completely okay with Han's story as others have mentioned it Harrison Ford was looking for a way out decades ago. Would not have been sad if the Falcon went with him. It will take a long time before seeing someone else behind the controls feels natural.

Jacen Kylo Ren was great. I like the story arc of him consciously choosing the dark side rather then necessarily falling into it. The line about him being pulled towards the light side was great.

Poe and BB-8 were fantastic characters and more than that fantastic Star Wars characters. They felt like a part of the universe.

The Stormtroopers looked awesome and the fight between random stormtrooper and Fin was fun to watch.

I need the Special Forces TIE Fighter in my life, like yesterday. That's right FFG turret and a crew slot on a TIE Fighter, make it happen game play balance be damned!

THE BAD:
Scale definitely felt like a step back. The Resistance was what 12-24 T-70's, no capital ships and a platoon of soldiers? The FO has a Star Destroyer 2.0 and planet sized cannon with 30-40 TIE fighters guarding it? ugh

Captain Phasma: Imperial Only: Crew: 3pts: Once per round, enemy players may choose any Imperial ship and choose any maneuver during the Activation Phase. Remove that ship off the board at the end of this round.
-Come on JJ not even a 10 second clip during the battle at the Cantina of her not completely sucking?

Luke pulling a Yoda: The moral of Star Wars, if you mess something up ie. Support Space Hitler and put him in power/support his regime, or train your nephew and have him grow up to be mini-vader 2.0 RUN AWAY and leave it for the next generation to deal with.

Why spend any time training with the Force when you can not use it for 20+ years, get in a lightsaber battle with someone who has, close your eyes and then proceed to kick his ass? I get it, he was shot with a bowcaster and took it like a champ, but really that should make him more dangerous not less. 

Edited by WhiskeyReckless

Rehash of episode 4? Check. Great new set of main character good guys? Check. Great new evil villains who fill me with terror? I knew we missed something. A crappy vader brooding about how crappy a vader he is. Also heavy handed in that rey is clearly Luke's daughter. So this is just a rehash story of Jacen solo becoming a crappy vader (Darth Caedus)

If Rey is Luke's daughter, how she came to be on Jakku is going to me a very interesting storyline.

I mean look at it this way, we know Luke left after Ren fell to the DS and destroyed whatever next generation of Jedi there were. You'd expect that he was at least a young adult by this point. Is Rey that much younger then him? Doesn't seem like it so if she is flashing back to being left on Jakku at like age 7, that wouldn't make any sense for Luke just leaving her there as that would be before Ren fell, so why abandon your daughter if at that point?

So if she is Luke's daughter, very well may be, then her story is much more then Luke just leaving her to protect her. If she is Luke's daughter I don't think that is a lineage either of them is aware of. Especially since niether Rey or Ren gave any indication they knew each other, nor Rey any indication she had met Han or Leia or Chewbacca before.

It wouldn't be a Disney movie if the main character's mom hadn't died.

Here's how I figure it (read: wild speculation based on no evidence at all):

Kylo Ren is about a decade older than Rey (at least, the actors are). Luke made it with a woman who wasn't his sister. When she got ready to pop, Kylo (did Han call him Ben?) was already about 10. She probably left because Luke was all Jedi-y and high profile, and she wanted a simple life for her daughter. Something happened where Rey's mom had to go and leave her on not Tattoine. That probably had to do with Luke going into hiding and Kylo Ren (Ben Solo instead of Jacen?) becoming a huge ass-hat.

Anyway, I liked the movie a lot. I thought it was a very good movie and was a wonderful tribute to the original. Exactly as the OP wrote, it followed the same plot of A New Hope with the new characters. I appreciate that they left a lot of the universe vague, just like they did in ANH. The characters were good and I thought Rey and Fin had great chemistry. I appreciate that Abrams is a Star Wars fan and he made a safe, solid, Star Wars movie.

I think too little emphasis was placed on what the destruction of the senate really meant. The FO just broke the New Republic more throughly than anyone in the EU ever did. They destroyed the center of civilization. I don't think a lot of people watching the film realized that.

If Dooku had nuked Coruscant into glass 3 months into the Clone Wars pure chaos would have followed. That's what episode 8 and 9 will be.

There wasn't really time to address it here, the worlds got blown up and then it was pretty much straight into trying to destroy the base. I'm sure we'll be seeing it come up in VIII.

So, I know it was telegraphed all over the place(most particularly during the interrogation where Kylo talks about the island in the ocean in her dreams, and the look they're exchanging at the end) but does anyone think Rey might not be Luke's daughter? With how up front they were about Kylo Ren, it almost feels like the beating over the head we got with the Rey - Luke connection may end up a red herring. 

Either way it opens some interesting questions. Did anyone else know about her? No one gave the impression that Luke had kids or a family for that matter when he disappeared. Maybe Leia can tell at the end but I got the impression that was just over Han. Why did Luke abandon her in the middle of nowhere? What happened to her mother? Killed when Kylo and his crew turned on the Jedi academy, and maybe if anyone knew Luke had a kid they think that's what happened to her too? If on the off chance she isn't Luke's kid, what was the deal with the visions from touching the lightsaber, just her connection to the Force?

while a celebration goes on behind them.

Most of those people likely don't even know who Han Solo is. Sure he was a hero of the Rebellion but that was 30 years ago. None of them knew him, and he did pretty much abandoned the Republic so why would they stop celebrating a major victory because someone they didn't even know didn't make it back.

It's likely most people there didn't even know he went with in the first place.

You can't apply what we think of a character to what other characters think of him or her.

Star wars hasn't been good for around 30 years. Then he-who-must-not-be-named drew a mustache on his Mona Lisa.

This is the next generation, handing the baton, the new standard by which all things will be compared. Copying the one that started it all, the good version, is not really a sin.

But if I admire the original Mona Lisa, I don't really want to look at another painting that is remarkably similar to the Mona Lisa again, even if it is very good. That's how I feel anyway.
That's reasonable, but remember there are millions of people who never got to enjoy the Mona Lisa without the goofy mustache.

Starting with the remarkably close to a work of art is rekindling the fire so to speak.

Edited by Rividius

Did anyone else know about her?

Hard to say, I'd assume Leia would of, as would Han. But it's possible no one else did.

Why did Luke abandon her in the middle of nowhere?

Because after Ben becomes Kylo, he wasn't going to take the chance of another Skywalker falling to the dark side. Better to drop her off somewhere then let her fall to the dark side. He may even be convinced that his family is cursed by the dark side, which is why he goes into exile.

If on the off chance she isn't Luke's kid, what was the deal with the visions from touching the lightsaber, just her connection to the Force?

Could be, Luke had a vision of Han and the rest in ESB. Just because she had that force vision doesn't mean she has to be related to him. It could just be that her destiny involves Luke and so the force was letting her know what she needed to know.

I think the prequels offer quite a lot. Ignoring Jar Jar, Hayden Christensen, Darth Vader going "nooo" and Padme dying of a broken heart, the story is really rich and there's lots of fascinating content in there.

I think the prequels are great for showing Palpatines sheer genius. Man was an evil mastermind of epic proportions. 

That's reasonable, but remember there are millions of people who never got to enjoy the Mona Lisa without the goofy mustache.

Starting with the remarkably close to a work of art is rekindling the fire so to speak.

I totally get that. I'm just disappointed it wasn't the film I wanted to see. I wanted to see Coruscant after the fall of the Empire, I wanted to see the New Republic being built, I wanted to see a new generation of force users, I wanted to see new spaceships - but I didn't.

I totally get that. I'm just disappointed it wasn't the film I wanted to see. I wanted to see Coruscant after the fall of the Empire, I wanted to see the Republic being built, I wanted to see a new generation of force users, I wanted to see new spaceships - but I didn't.

Thirty years in that is done. Read the novels and comics to "see" that. 

I'm just disappointed it wasn't the film I wanted to see.

I get that, but the movie you wanted to see was never going to be the movie they were making. But as was pointed out above, you can get a lot of that from the books, comics and such.

I have to say, Ren was not a scary bad guy at all.  

Vader Mad = Force Choke the Messanger, everyone stands by in pure terror

Ren Mad = Slice up some perfectly good equipment and everyone just kinda pretends it's not happening.

Vader had a reputation, someone to be feared.  Poe wasn't even phased by Ren...

I totally get that. I'm just disappointed it wasn't the film I wanted to see. I wanted to see Coruscant after the fall of the Empire, I wanted to see the Republic being built, I wanted to see a new generation of force users, I wanted to see new spaceships - but I didn't.

I get that, but the movie you wanted to see was never going to be the movie they were making. But as was pointed out above, you can get a lot of that from the books, comics and such.

I had a look at the Force Awakens concept art book earlier today. It's filled with cool stuff I would have loved to see. But they decided not to use it, in favour of re-using old styles.

I really think a film could have been made that was much more of a continuation of all 6 films and still have been amazing.

I'm happy to read a book about the stuff I mentioned, but now very little of it is canon, so it feels a bit pointless.

I think the prequels offer quite a lot. Ignoring Jar Jar, Hayden Christensen, Darth Vader going "nooo" and Padme dying of a broken heart, the story is really rich and there's lots of fascinating content in there.

I think the prequels are great for showing Palpatines sheer genius. Man was an evil mastermind of epic proportions. 

I sometimes feel like the OT and Prequels are really Palpatine's story over Anakin's and Luke's. Dude was the ultimate (POWER!) Force user especially since Anakin was crippled before he could surpass him.

Assuming he still dead, the galaxy is still dealing with the after shocks of his machinations 30 years his removal from power. 

I really think a film could have been made that was much more of a continuation of all 6 films and still have been amazing.

It may of been, but it would not be nearly so accessible to non-star wars fans.

I'm happy to read a book about the stuff I mentioned, but now very little of it is canon, so it feels a bit pointless.

Starting with Aftermath everything is canon now.

I had a look at the Force Awakens concept art book earlier today. It's filled with cool stuff I would have loved to see. But they decided not to use it, in favour of re-using old styles.

All the new books are canon. 

I have to say, Ren was not a scary bad guy at all.  

Vader Mad = Force Choke the Messanger, everyone stands by in pure terror

Ren Mad = Slice up some perfectly good equipment and everyone just kinda pretends it's not happening.

Vader had a reputation, someone to be feared.  Poe wasn't even phased by Ren...

True, but he shouldn't be anywhere near Vader-level of power yet. Anakin had years of training and actual experience before becoming Vader. Kylo is still falling into the Dark Side, no yellow eyes, no force lightning etc. so I expect him to level up as Rae does. 

It may of been, but it would not be nearly so accessible to non-star wars fans.

Starting with Aftermath everything is canon now.

Actually Rebel Dawn was the first of the canon, Aftermath is just the first post Endor. And the Shattered Empire comic series is also post Endor. Lost Stars goes from before the movies to during the movies to battle of Jakku. 

7/10

Good acting by the new cast, loved Oscar Issac as Poe. Loved the whole time spent on Jakku. Also loved how to opened to a Star Destroyer just like 4, 5 and 6.

Downsides mainly: Plot feels like we've seen it before (mostly). Plot in the last 1/3 felt very rushed. Villains under used - Phasma didn't get used half as much as I thought she would. Kylo was scary before he turned out to be a whiney brat. Snoke doesn't really do much.

Quite a bit of forced comedy, some was great/expected some just felt forced/cheesy one liners.

It was good but something felt missing and I can't quite put my finger on what.