Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens. Your reaction? (Spoilers)

Man I loved every time a saber was pulled out in this movie.

Because every single time, it mattered. It really meant something.

I think the saber fighting was the perfect blend of the OT and PT. They looked raw and almost unrehearsed(in a great way), backed up by great special effects. The way the sabers seemed to bite into objects made them feel much more realistic and brutal.  I also loved Ren's fighting stance, often using an upwards diagonal sweep to both parry and attack. I'll have to see it again, but Ep7 might have my favorite saber fights thus far.

Also, the oft-derided crossguards worked.  Brutal.

Regarding Han... It was clear to me he was going to die as soon as he stepped out on the cat walk. The fact is he wanted to die. He did it because he had exactly two options left he could live with.

Either he was going to bring Ben home with him, or he was going to die, because he couldn't go on living with Ben being Kylo Ren. He knew he might die, but did so with the hope that even if he died, his death might help save his son.

Oh another thought...

I liked that the saber fights were closer to what we saw in Jedi then the prequels. I thought they were much more stately that way.

But what I thought was the single greatest improvement was the fighter battles. The fight on Takodana was just amazingly well done.

Also this link is worth a read. Lead up to TFA canon It sums up the various books and such between Aftermath and TFA.

It fills in some of the gaps about the First Order and Resistance which is left a bit vague in the movies because many of the details are in other sources.

But to sum it up... The New Republic doesn't want to fight the Empire in fact Mon Mothma pretty much scraps the whole military, and has signed a treaty with the Empire. That means they can't really act against the First Order, so they supply equipment to the Resistance who fights for the New Republic so technically the Republic hasn't violated the treaty.

Edited by VanorDM

Regarding Han...

...I kind of got the feeling prior to release that HF only signed on the dotted line on the proviso that his character be killed off.  Of all the cast and crew, he looked and sounded the most ambivalent about returning.

But yeah, it's a bit of a shame we never got any real sense of Han and Leia post ROTJ.

Man I loved every time a saber was pulled out in this movie.

Because every single time, it mattered. It really meant something.

I think the saber fighting was the perfect blend of the OT and PT. They looked raw and almost unrehearsed(in a great way), backed up by great special effects. The way the sabers seemed to bite into objects made them feel much more realistic and brutal.  I also loved Ren's fighting stance, often using an upwards diagonal sweep to both parry and attack. I'll have to see it again, but Ep7 might have my favorite saber fights thus far.

Also, the oft-derided crossguards worked.  Brutal.

Definitely. I was on the fence about it, but it worked out in the movie. The way he slowly slid it into Fin's shoulder was intense. 

I find character death as motivation obnoxious. Han's story is now heartbreaking. He gets just... Nothing good happens for him. At all. And it left me feeling empty. That one of the greatest characters of all time basically gets no happiness ever. And then he dies to motivate other people. I get that he's old. I get that he could bog down later movies. But there's a whole lot of ways to fix that without leaving his whole life as a pit of suck.

Otherwise it's great. But Hans death is more to fit narrative structure than anything else and I HATE that.

I think it had a lot to do with Harrison Ford, really.  I suspected that the only way they were going to get him back for one more movie was if they promised to kill Han.  He'd asked Lucas to kill Han off in Jedi, but Lucas didn't go for it.  He hasn't made any secret about the fact that he Star Wars is far from one of his favorite things...

You never got a sense that the Resistance fighters were in actual trouble, even when attacking a whole **** planet.

When they attacked Star Killer base they clearly were in trouble. It was on Takodana that they just smoked everything, and that was largely Poe. Who is (and I know this may be considered heresy) a better pilot then Wedge, or at least on par with him. But I think that scene was largely there to show how good he was. But in that case they caught the First Order completely off guard.

I found him to be a great character from the opening the "Are you talking first? Or am I? Who’s supposed to talk first?" and how he stood up to Kylo on the ship, and the rest was just great. It's like he was a mix of Wedge and Han... Also the "No I can't call you that, so you're Fen"

He's quite easily my favorite of the new characters. Which is saying something because I really like all four of them. In fact I must now go find a really nice version of his black and orange T-70, and paint one of the expansions I get those colors.

Oh and I must get some sort of BB-8 toy for my desk. I love that little droid.

But yeah, it's a bit of a shame we never got any real sense of Han and Leia post ROTJ.

I thought you did. It was clear that Ben falling to the dark side was the catalyst for everything.

Luke no doubt thought he failed Ben, and that there was just too much Darth Vader left in the skywalker line including himself. I'm fairly sure that's why he left and abandoned rebuilding the Jedi Order.

Also that was why Han left Leia and went back to space. The death of a child can quite often tear a couple apart, they blame themselves and each other. The pain becomes too much and they have to avoid each other.

when Hamill turned around at the end of the films, that look in his eyes...

Did anyone else think "Oh my god would you hurry up and get there?!!?!??" I was kept thinking that she might find nothing, or that Luke was actually a force ghost.

I so didn't want the movie to end on either one of those notes.

when Hamill turned around at the end of the films, that look in his eyes...

Did anyone else think "Oh my god would you hurry up and get there?!!?!??" I was kept thinking that she might find nothing, or that Luke was actually a force ghost.I so didn't want the movie to end on either one of those notes.

Yes exactly. She kept walking and climbing past all those rock walls and across green pastures or whatever. Just get to Luke already!

2. I really enjoyed the pacing but they could easily have fleshed out some aspects with another quarter to half hour in running time. Conversely I don't think it's the fight or battle scenes that would have benefited but the background lore.

6. Best three Star Wars films are now the original, Empire and TFA. I felt this instalment was better than Jedi and light years ahead of the Prequels.

2. I thought the pacing was a little fast - but absolutely agree that a slightly longer running time with a little more meat to the background would have made a more rounded film - in fact I've already said this in another thread.

Nothing that a Special Extended Edition wouldn't fix, but it's kind of a shame not to have been able to do it in the original cut.

6. Agreed - but not in that order - it will take a huge effort to knock Empire off the top spot.

I think too little emphasis was placed on what the destruction of the senate really meant. The FO just broke the New Republic more throughly than anyone in the EU ever did. They destroyed the center of civilization. I don't think a lot of people watching the film realized that.

If Dooku had nuked Coruscant into glass 3 months into the Clone Wars pure chaos would have followed. That's what episode 8 and 9 will be.

Speaking of reprising roles - when Hamill turned around at the end of the films, that look in his eyes... I know it's a bit daft to say considering the length of the cameo, but that WAS Luke.  Hamill rolling back the years.

The BAD thing about being the /perfect/ Luke Skywalker is, after the need for Luke Skywalker dries up, you have to hide behind animated characters to do any other work, otherwise, no matter what you do, everyone will be asking "what the heck is LUKE SKYWALKER doing here?!?!" as soon as they see your (his) face where it doesn't belong.

The GOOD thing about being the /perfect/ Luke Skywalker is, when the need for Luke Skywalker appears once more, all you gotta do is show up, turn around and look at the camera to reassure everyone that LUKE <Bleeping> SKYWALKER is, in fact, back on the job.

I mean, I knew what was going to happen, and I knew the movie was going to end right there, and I still suddenly felt like I was falling, and I still loved it dearly in spite of myself.

As for Han Solo, Harrison Ford wanted him dead at the end of Empire. He lived a Full Life.

And I agree that Kylo Ren is pretty freaking scary. "Ice Cold" is overdone, and the fact that he can't pull it off and hacks around with his plywood-n-duct-tape laser sword when he loses it is great. The "kid with a shotgun" comment was on point. This is one powerful dude, who is in way over his head and has no idea what he's doing, causing damage and trauma in his wake. A dark age warlord to vader's samurai. And I like that. 

I think too little emphasis was placed on what the destruction of the senate really meant.

I'm of the opinion that, that was going to be a big part of the next movie. It's kinda like a Pearl Harbor and will force the New Republic to get involved.

That was not however the end of the New Republic however. As I understand it, the senate moves around from time to time. So while it was a big deal, it wouldn't break the Republic the same way destroying Coruscant would of.

I think too little emphasis was placed on what the destruction of the senate really meant.

I'm of the opinion that, that was going to be a big part of the next movie. It's kinda like a Pearl Harbor and will force the New Republic to get involved.That was not however the end of the New Republic however. As I understand it, the senate moves around from time to time. So while it was a big deal, it wouldn't break the Republic the same way destroying Coruscant would of.

Maybe the Republic is gone and the Imperial Remnant will be like, "Man we really ought to do something about these psychos."

Maybe the Republic is gone and the Imperial Remnant will be like, "Man we really ought to do something about these psychos."

I wonder how much of the First Order is actually financed and equipped by the Imperial Remnants. I don't know if they're supposed to be an offshoot, or if they consider themselves to be the True Empire, or what.

But considering the equipment they have what we might be looking at is a shadow war between the Republic and the Empire with the Resistance and First Order being proxies.

I think the prequels offer quite a lot. Ignoring Jar Jar, Hayden Christensen, Darth Vader going "nooo" and Padme dying of a broken heart, the story is really rich and there's lots of fascinating content in there.

True but the problem with the PT far more than any individual thing you posted is that the writing makes so little sense in relation to the OT.

If it had been a standalone saga them it would have been closer to OK. As a prequel to the originals, its rather rubbish imo.

I don't hate them, I left that initial reaction behind a long time ago but they really were written with too little regard to the originals.

My biggest gripe is the reaction to Han's death....... OH WAIT!!!!! Only 4 people actually cared that Han didn't come back at all, Leia, Chewie, Rey, and Finn if he wasn't injured.  Yes I figured he was going to die when Leia asked him to try and bring Ben home and he did say he would do anything to help his son so that sealed the deal right there, but as I said, there was basically no reaction.  Chewie goes all Wookie Hulk on the troopers and gets a lucky shot in on Ben(Ren), but all we see when we get back to D'Qar all we see is Chewie walked off all depressed and Leia and Rey have a quiet hug while a celebration goes on behind them.  For the love of the Force Qui-Gon got a better send off than Han does and he was only in one movie!!!!  Overall it was a good movie and a good build up into the new trilogy, but seriously, show some respect for one of the Republics greatest hero's and a very well loved character by the Star Wars Fandom.

I enjoyed it. Sure, it was very much episode 4 with new characters, but Star Wars has always had strong themes of manifest destiny/history repeats. It's fine.

Star wars hasn't been good for around 30 years. Then he-who-must-not-be-named drew a mustache on his Mona Lisa.

This is the next generation, handing the baton, the new standard by which all things will be compared. Copying the one that started it all, the good version, is not really a sin.

And I agree that Kylo Ren is pretty freaking scary. "Ice Cold" is overdone, and the fact that he can't pull it off and hacks around with his plywood-n-duct-tape laser sword when he loses it is great. The "kid with a shotgun" comment was on point. This is one powerful dude, who is in way over his head and has no idea what he's doing...

I'm so glad his crappy lightsaber design makes sense now. "This looks like something a teenager would make." well, yeah...