Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens. Your reaction? (Spoilers)

Rey is Kylo's sister, abandoned by Daicun when the Falcon got stolen.

Pretty sure Han and Leia would of known it was her if that was the case. 

Does she cut his hand off or destroy his saber? Couldn't really tell...

He had both hands at the end.

Rey is Kylo's sister, abandoned by Daicun when the Falcon got stolen.

Pretty sure Han and Leia would of known it was her if that was the case. 

Yeah, in the same way you'd think Leia would be able to tell Rey was related to Luke, you'd especially hope she could sense the presence of her own kid.

Does anyone know what exactly happened at the end of the Rey/Kylo fight? Does she cut his hand off or destroy his saber? Couldn't really tell...

Pretty sure she slashed his face. Don't think his saber took a hit, but on my second viewing I was watching carefully and he seems to have a facial injury. Probably have some scars in Episode VIII.

Although I did see something from Disney saying that all 3 movies would focus on the Skywalker line so maybe.

I'd think that having Vader's grandson as the main bad guy in the movies checks that off the list. 

I'm hoping she's not related to Luke. Unfortunately, I think I'm hoping against hope because it's likely Abrams will want to continue the Skywalker line. I just really don't like it. She thought Luke was a legend and was thrilled to see Han Solo. You would think she would at least know the legends were true if she were family.

Also, Luke never knew his father as a child. I would think he would not want to make the same mistake with his child. He would want to be there and be a nurturing figure.

I'm hoping she's not related to Luke. Unfortunately, I think I'm hoping against hope because it's likely Abrams will want to continue the Skywalker line. I just really don't like it. She thought Luke was a legend and was thrilled to see Han Solo. You would think she would at least know the legends were true if she were family.

Also, Luke never knew his father as a child. I would think he would not want to make the same mistake with his child. He would want to be there and be a nurturing figure.

Don't really think it matters what Abrams wants. Kathleen Kennedy is in charge of Lucasfilm and Rian Johnson is directing and writing 8. I'm sure they'll get other writers involved, but not JJ.

Really, what I'm saying is, JJ isn't responsible for the story of 8, and really wasn't on 7. Sure he had input, but like the marvel movies there are higher powers at work.

I think the notion that JJ was entirely responsible for the future of Star Wars is what irritated me most in the run up to Force Awakens. Directors are important but people give them too much credit for things like plot.

At the end of the day, I felt like I was watching a homage 'best of' mix. Yes, harking back to the original trilogy is important to tie the old to new, but when the film essentially IS the first all over again, you might have overstepped the mark a little.

And, to be honest, the geekier part of me didn't like JJ Abrams playing a bit fast and loose with some of the 'conventions' of Star Wars. Yes, it's science fiction/fantasy but one of the things that makes Star Wars great is the fact that it is still grounded in [its own] reality. I feel that 'TFA' moved away from this reality for the sake of plot device & action.

Just watched it a second time and still had a few issues with it but liked it more than on my first viewing.  As I posted earlier, even though I had tried to remain as neutral as possible, I no doubt had built up expectations in my own head too high, so whilst things like the "Yet Another SuperWeapon" still irked me (I don't want to go into the "internal logic" but man, I struggled with them thinking the third time is the charm), knowing that it was coming meant that I was less disappointed and more able to focus on the nuances of the storyline (such as they were).  

There was really a lot to love in this movie - the new characters, some of the dialog, some of the humour, some of the practical effects, some of the CGI effects, some of the scenery/locations were just awesome.

And there was an equal amount to not love - overly-familiar tropes, some lazy plot/background/character development, some lazy deus ex machina's, the mediocre score (c'mon, John, really?), Supreme Leader Smeagol, some scenes that just felt lazy or bloated (the whole space-octopus scene with competing crime cartels just felt like it belonged in another franchise).  But hey, what movie is truly perfect?

I can't believe I'm going to say this and know it won't be popular but I think I miss George Lucas' input.  I know this also won't be a popular choice but if I were to rank the movies, they would likely go in this order:

ESB, ANH, ROTJ, ROTS, TFA, AOTC, TPM

I understand your opinion (I loved the movie as well), but I just can't get behind this attitude. For far too many years have I put up with people telling me that I'm not a "true Star Wars fan" because I like the prequels. I don't think it's ever anyone's place to tell someone else whether they are or are not a true Star Wars fan.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it on your subsequent viewings. I'm seeing it a second time tonight and I hope I love it just as much as the first time.

Really?  Cool.  I didn't really care for them that much because of reasons (or personal character flaws?) of my own.  What was it you liked?  I've been looking for insight from a fan of them for quite a while and, well.... you guys are hard to come by.  :[

Just watched it a second time and still had a few issues with it but liked it more than on my first viewing.  As I posted earlier, even though I had tried to remain as neutral as possible, I no doubt had built up expectations in my own head too high, so whilst things like the "Yet Another SuperWeapon" still irked me (I don't want to go into the "internal logic" but man, I struggled with them thinking the third time is the charm), knowing that it was coming meant that I was less disappointed and more able to focus on the nuances of the storyline (such as they were).  

There was really a lot to love in this movie - the new characters, some of the dialog, some of the humour, some of the practical effects, some of the CGI effects, some of the scenery/locations were just awesome.

And there was an equal amount to not love - overly-familiar tropes, some lazy plot/background/character development, some lazy deus ex machina's, the mediocre score (c'mon, John, really?), Supreme Leader Smeagol, some scenes that just felt lazy or bloated (the whole space-octopus scene with competing crime cartels just felt like it belonged in another franchise).  But hey, what movie is truly perfect?

I can't believe I'm going to say this and know it won't be popular but I think I miss George Lucas' input.  I know this also won't be a popular choice but if I were to rank the movies, they would likely go in this order:

ESB, ANH, ROTJ, ROTS, TFA, AOTC, TPM

Totally agree with the freighter scene and the score.  Theat scene did not feel it belonged in a 'Star Wars' movie at all, and was very much a "JJ-ism".  And the score, dear god, the score.  I spent the whole film waiting for it to kick in, and it didn't.  The best it got was when it recalled the various Letimoff's of the previous films.  At no point did I hear anything original that I thought "Yup, that's a Star Wars score."  It was very generic.

So to the extent we can say anything is "historically accurate, we can say Finn's inability to massacre a population is.

he's a plumber, not a soldier 

He's a top soldier, marked as a possible ideal stormtrooper.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Finn

The janitor line was probably just a throwaway joke.

was thinking about this but it doesn't have to be this way.  At the height of Roman power, when soldiers weren't fighting they had other duties as builders mostly.  So it wouldn't be a stretch to think that when troopers aren't stormtrooping they don't just sit around all day but have other menial tasks to perform.  Plus he wasn't just a janitor, he worked in sanitation which can have other nuances to it.  Also, if I'm not mistaken even our military doesn't always hire private contractors to do all the menial work, the soldiers usually take care of their own base, latrine duty and such.

This.  So much this.  

If Rey ends up being Luke's kid, I would really hope it would be that she was stolen from him or some such.  It kinda messes with Luke being a truly heroic character in my mind if he just dropped his daughter off somewhere.  

I guess if she were his kid and he's super force sensitive, you'd think he'd know pretty much wherever she was whenever he wanted, right?  IDK.

Just got back from seeing it tonight, and it was pretty much what I expected.

It wasn't prequels bad but it also fell a long way from being good and never approached great had this not been set in the star wars universe no one would much care about it or remember it in a month.

Harrison Ford saved this movie for me he was a great boost when the film was losing me fast, finn was lame until the third act, Poe just never materialized as a character his one attribute is being a good pilot, rey was fine but couldn't carry the movie.

Kylo started out okay then he removed the mask which was a massive mistake couldn't buy him being a threat after that.

And yeah they remade episode four and played it safe so while they didn't ruin star wars they didn't add to it.

6/10

Verdict: whelmed.

just watched the movie..

have to digest it and will write more tomorrow; stil, in short: felt very much like I had seen this one in my childhood - because it was nearly a ripoff of ep4, IMO.

the most surprising part (I like to be surprised in movies.. such a rare thing, though) was that not luke bites the dust but han.. and I'm afraid he'll "do no gandalf".

they killed bambi. they killed old yeller. they killed han. 

my inner child hurts at this moment :-/

as a movie-enthusiast, I'm surprised they had the balls to kill him and not luke, and wants to like the movie for that alone. still, my inner child hurts.

the timing was terrible, though.

yeah, they blow up another of those deathstars, big deal, yawn.. does anyone care? no, because the movie had its highlight 10minutes ago when solo got solo'ed.

everything past that point was simply meaningless, cause you couldn't really give a f*ck.

the movie should have ended right with han, and I would have said "well, to this point the movie was okay, the ending is both horrible and GREAT". 

atm, it feels pretty "meh" to me .. and han died.

oh man.. :-/ 

I normally accept the fact that everyone has an opinion on everything. And that's fine. Different perspectives make the world interesting. However, after 1 prescreening, and two more viewings, I've made my final decision. Anyone who doesnt agree this movie is amazing is either simply not a Star Wars fan, or they love being the voice of opposition, aka trolls and hipsters. The door is over there.

I understand your opinion (I loved the movie as well), but I just can't get behind this attitude. For far too many years have I put up with people telling me that I'm not a "true Star Wars fan" because I like the prequels. I don't think it's ever anyone's place to tell someone else whether they are or are not a true Star Wars fan.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it on your subsequent viewings. I'm seeing it a second time tonight and I hope I love it just as much as the first time.

umm... the fact that you DO like the prequels makes you more of a SW fan than others.  Yeah, not as good as OT, has problems in other areas, but it is still SW, if you DON'T like the prequels (no you dont have to LOVE them or think they are the best) then I'd say you're not a SW fan.  That's kind of the definition of being a fan, even when you're team loses or under performs you still cheer for them.

I quite like the prequels. Not a huge fan because they have some pretty bad flaws, but I am happy watching them.

I like the amount of background detail - the republic, the senate, jedi traditions, coruscant, lots of cool ships, general backstory - they are very colourful and bring the whole star wars setting to life.

I normally accept the fact that everyone has an opinion on everything. And that's fine. Different perspectives make the world interesting. However, after 1 prescreening, and two more viewings, I've made my final decision. Anyone who doesnt agree this movie is amazing is either simply not a Star Wars fan, or they love being the voice of opposition, aka trolls and hipsters. The door is over there.

umm... the fact that you DO like the prequels makes you more of a SW fan than others.  Yeah, not as good as OT, has problems in other areas, but it is still SW, if you DON'T like the prequels (no you dont have to LOVE them or think they are the best) then I'd say you're not a SW fan.  That's kind of the definition of being a fan, even when you're team loses or under performs you still cheer for them.

That's a no true Scotsman fallacy.

Being a fan does not mean you must automatically like everything regardless of quality.

Made it to page 21, must post now.

Finn is force sensitive. Has no idea why he can shoot down ties so well- its the force.

Some will hate this but I loved it- when the stormtroopers were searching for them on Starkiller base, didn't anyone hear "We think they may be splitting up..." On the intercom?

Ren mentions the force to Rey and you see the light come on... I was thinking wait- she wasn't even using the force yet? Ren's in trouble... For me it was very Princess Bride "I am not left handed!"

Loved it had no problems with it, just didn't want Han to die. :'(

Edited by adder

And the score, dear god, the score.  I spent the whole film waiting for it to kick in, and it didn't.  The best it got was when it recalled the various Letimoff's of the previous films.  At no point did I hear anything original that I thought "Yup, that's a Star Wars score."  It was very generic.

I thought the scene with Rey at the end when her powers kicked in that was backed by "The Force Theme" was the one stand-out moment for music.

I really liked the movie.  It hit on all the right notes that I wanted.  I'm on page 14, and enough people have already covered what I think about the new trio.

Regarding Kylo Ren: he scares me more than Vader, and the reason is pretty much why some people hate him.  He's powerful and immature.  Vader was predictable.  Kylo Ren is erratic.  He's the CE to Vader's LE.  He's got immense power, and he's incredibly unstable.

I don't know what to think about Hux, really.  He's very much a party man.  He buys into everything he says.  And the fact that he recognized a bad situation and fled to fight another day gives him at least one thing over Tarkin.  Tarkin died because of hubris.  Hux reported the situation to his superior and got permission to abandon base.  So, he's proud, but not so much that it'll be the death of him.

I'm convinced that Phasma's not really a soldier.  I believe she's got military training, but I don't think that's her primary purpose.  I believe she's the one in charge of the First Order's stormtrooper program, specifically the programming and indoctrination.  I think she's a scientist in charge of a military program.  She's the Chester Phillips of the First Order.  And, just like we did with doctors in the Korean War, she was given a high rank and accompanying pay.  I'm anxious to see her in the next movie to see if I'm right and what exactly she's going to do as this badass.  It's kind of telling that the first answer Gwendoline Christie came up with in response to "What is something Captain Phasma gets to do in this movie that no other Star Wars character has gotten to do before?" is "Captain Phasma gets to wear chrome armor and be a woman."  I guess it's really all you can expect from what was originally a throwaway character designed from a rejected Kylo Ren concept.

Let me preface this next part by saying that Han Solo is my favorite character in the saga.  When other kids wanted to be Luke, I wanted to fly the Falcon and shoot guns.  He was a smartass, and I fully embrace that lifestyle.  That said, I thought Han's death was perfect.  Let's face it.  We knew he was going to die.  And when Han saw Kylo Ren in that chamber, he knew he was going to either die or take his son home.  He should have run--after all, Luke did say that it's what he's best at, and he proved it by running from the entire situation with his son.  It's his major character flaw.  When push comes to shove, Han's first impulse is to run if he can't control the situation.  But, he promised Leia that he'd bring their son home, so he had to try.  And then, after the saber pierced his heart (it very much looked like a chest wound rather than a gut wound), Han raised his hand and caressed his son's cheek, as if to say, "I love you, and I forgive you."

It's the ultimate finale to Han's character arc.  He started in Star Wars as a man out for himself.  He shot and killed Greedo at the first sign that he might not make it out of that confrontation alive.  He took his money and ran from Yavin.  But, something happened in his interactions with Luke and Leia.  They got to him somehow.  Han came back.  And he stayed with them for three years until he felt that he had to take care of his own business or risk something horrible happening to his friends.  He was a liability to the Rebellion and to Luke and Leia.  And, truth be told, he was probably running from his feelings for Leia.  But destiny is a funny thing, and it kept them together until Han was taken from them.

After his rescue, he fully threw in with the Rebellion, and he became a hero.  I've always said that Han Solo's story was Vader's story in microcosm.  And now, we see that Han has given his life for his son, just as Anakin did.  I'm sure Han's story isn't over just yet.  He may be dead, but that death will be felt for some time.  Just look at hos his closest friends dealt with it.

Chewbacca went into full-on rage mode.  He immediately attacked Han's son, and then he took out a number of stormtroopers before setting off the charges he had planted with Han.

Leia felt his death through her connection to the Force.  Leia's power is unlike Luke's, in that she feels when she's about to take place in something big.  It was apparent that Han and Leia still loved each other, even through what happened with Ben.  And because of that connection, she felt his death just like Kenobi (and very likely she at the time) felt the destruction of Alderaan.

When we see Luke for the first time, there is an intense sadness in his eyes.  You can tell that he also felt Han's passing, even without any words.

Kylo believes that killing his father will unfetter him from the Light that remains inside him.  However, I'm sure it'll be a huge factor in his eventual redemption.

As for Rey, I'm convinced she's Luke's daughter.  The lightsaber is the biggest thing.  If she weren't a direct descendant of Luke, I don't think it would make any sense for it to call to her, as Kaz said.  But it's also the small things in the movie.  She's a tech savant.  She's an incredible pilot.  Han reacted to her much the same way he did Luke when they first met.  Sideways glances in the Falcon, an offer to join his crew, and then a very apparent fondness for him.  He did all these with Rey, as well.

Maybe Rey was so young that Kylo couldn't bring himself to kill her.  After all, he's so filled with doubt, it's very possible that, while Anakin could slaughter children with no remorse, he just couldn't do it.  He does seem to tense up at mention of a girl on Jakku.  The possible reasons for her surviving the slaughter are numerous.

I do think the movie needed another hour or so of running time.  The end seemed rushed somewhat.  I'm hoping JJ decies to add some of the edited footage back in for a director's cut when the blu-ray releases.

Always nice to see Harrison Ford do his thing on the big screen.

As for the rest? Not really clear on why I should care.

I know Disney is capable of making Star Wars character that I care about - Rebels is brilliant. 

But the TFA crew? Let's see.

WhatsHerName is cute, mysterious, arbitrarily puissant and omnicompetent. Little personality, less character.

Black Guy is utterly terrified of lots of things (monsters, stormtroopers, etc) but willing to ignore this personality-defining trait entirely because he thinks WhatsHerName is hot. Not believable. 

Poe is a heroic badass who we get to know for all of five minutes.

Not the worst, but lots of room for improvement.

Kilo Ren looks more likely to be a member if ISIS then the son of Han and Leia.

The guy has giant ears hidden by his black hair with a long crooked nose. Not trying to insult the guy just point out he looks nothing like them. Great voice for the part though. They should have just kept the mask on...the one that serves no purpose.

Way to imply everyone with Mediterranean looks reminds you of a terrorist organization/ nascent government that's headquartered in the !iddle East.

That's, like, exactly why ISIS is able to find recruits.

Jackass.