Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens. Your reaction? (Spoilers)

Rehash of episode 4? Check. Great new set of main character good guys? Check. Great new evil villains who fill me with terror? I knew we missed something. A crappy vader brooding about how crappy a vader he is. Also heavy handed in that rey is clearly Luke's daughter. So this is just a rehash story of Jacen solo becoming a crappy vader (Darth Caedus)

Door's over there buddy.

ah, positive threads only? I thought this thread was for general reactions, not just those you approved of?

Kylo Ren was scary til he threw a hissy fit.

To me, that's what made him scary. He had the capability to actually lose control.

Of course, he became a bit less scary once he took off his mask. I thought he was a young John Travolta. I was waiting for him to say, "Hey, mister Kah-tare"

I didnt ever see him as being scary. How is he Scary?

Hes scary because hes like a child with a shotgun: "No, mommy, YOU take out the trash!" 

He knows hes powerful and has a huge amount of authority, but hes also immature and insecure. 

Swear to god if I start seeing more people complain about it being too much like the OT I will become a much angrier, vitriolic individual.

You (royal you) complained about the PT being too unlike the OT for 15 years. Now, complaining the ST is too much like the OT?

Swear to god.

Swear to god if I start seeing more people complain about it being too much like the OT I will become a much angrier, vitriolic individual.

You (royal you) complained about the PT being too unlike the OT for 15 years. Now, complaining the ST is too much like the OT?

Swear to god.

You're aware that there is more than one person on the Internet, right? Not every opinion you see was expressed by the same person.

I forgot, we're still in the archaic school of thought where we expect villains only to brood.

No actually, It was that moment that humanised him for me. Even though I knew who the actor was under the hood he was an unknown to me until then etc it was the tantrum that made me feel like I understood him as I did all the other villains who have shared his tropes. I find things like cold fury and emotionally distant villains scarier than emotional messes, people who vent are less scary to me.

You don't always have to go to snide condescension right off the mark, you can wait until you find out where someone is coming from before you leap to a fictional characters defence, maybe ask a probing question? I realise I didn't communicate why I felt like he wasn't scary as well as I could have so I get why you went where you did.

I felt it played it WAY too safe with the constant parallel to A New Hope, but I'm also hearing that's something people really liked.

Loved the good guy cast.

Ren oscillated between interesting and annoying for me. Loved how badass strong he was in the Force, didn't necessarily love the actor out of the mask (seriously, stop hitting yourself). But I really enjoyed his tantrums. The dark side is about anger, and that's one angry dude.

The villains, otherwise, were TERRIBLE. Phasma, who could have been a lot of fun on screen... does nothing and gets showed down a trash compactor (off screen and assumed, no way she won't come back later). Hux is generic dictator. Snokes... Uhg. What a stupid waste. Be creative/original.

The factions were TERRIBLY explained. The separation between the Republic and Resistance, the scope of either the Republic or the First Order, etc... They left all of that unexplained, and for really no reason. I felt absolutely nothing when the Republic was wiped out (wait, was it? Or just the home of their fleet? It's not really clear, but they were supposedly targeting the senate, so...? That's not me missing something, that's more an example of their poor explanations).

Really wish Han had yelled "Jacen!" Just saying. I'm not sure how I feel about Rey being such a close match for Jaina from the novels (Ace pilot, extremely talented/gifted when it comes to machines, "the sword of the Jedi").

Did I say I loved the good guy cast? Because they were freaking awesome. Poe is a new hero in the films, a cocky fighter pilot who can back up his bluster AND isn't guided by the Force (this is what Wedge would have been like, skill-wise). Finn had some really funny moments, and Rey is a believable (enough) hero.

EDIT: Oh, and BB-8 >>>> R2-D2

THE STARFIGHTER BATTLES WERE AWESOME. Although I kept having the nagging thought that we only got three starfighters shown in the entire film (TIE/fo, Special Forces TIE/fo [i think?] and T-70s). If they had shown more ships, we could have expected more things brought to X-Wing (assuming Ren's shuttle is too big/awkward to make sense).

Overall, net positive. Obviously blows prequels out of the water. Felt like an updated Episode IV and, while that's not what I wanted, it works. 

Edited by ArbitraryNerd

Swear to god.

You're aware that there is more than one person on the Internet, right? Not every opinion you see was expressed by the same person.

I'm pretty sure hes convinced that there's only one person on Earth that hates the Prequels and Rebels, and its a cranky 40 year old neckbeard. Ep 7 was without a doubt a "retelling" of Ep4, but I was mostly fine with that. However, I'd have taken ANY plot hook over "Destroy the giant cannon. Again."

I'm pretty sure hes convinced that there's only one person on Earth that hates the Prequels and Rebels, and its a cranky 40 year old neckbeard. Ep 7 was without a doubt a "retelling" of Ep4, but I was mostly fine with that. However, I'd have taken ANY plot hook over "Destroy the giant cannon. Again."

Ah, youthful exuberance.

And agree with your comments on the giant cannon.

I felt it played it WAY too safe with the constant parallel to A New Hope, but I'm also hearing that's something people really liked.

Loved the good guy cast.

Ren oscillated between interesting and annoying for me. Loved how badass strong he was in the Force, didn't necessarily love the actor out of the mask (seriously, stop hitting yourself). But I really enjoyed his tantrums. The dark side is about anger, and that's one angry dude.

The villains, otherwise, were TERRIBLE. Phasma, who could have been a lot of fun on screen... does nothing and gets showed down a trash compactor (off screen and assumed, no way she won't come back later). Hux is generic dictator. Snokes... Uhg. What a stupid waste. Be creative/original.

The factions were TERRIBLY explained. The separation between the Republic and Resistance, the scope of either the Republic or the First Order, etc... They left all of that unexplained, and for really no reason. I felt absolutely nothing when the Republic was wiped out (wait, was it? Or just the home of their fleet? It's not really clear, but they were supposedly targeting the senate, so...? That's not me missing something, that's more an example of their poor explanations).

Really wish Han had yelled "Jacen!" Just saying. I'm not sure how I feel about Rey being such a close match for Jaina from the novels (Ace pilot, extremely talented/gifted when it comes to machines, "the sword of the Jedi").

Did I say I loved the good guy cast? Because they were freaking awesome. Poe is a new hero in the films, a cocky fighter pilot who can back up his bluster AND isn't guided by the Force (this is what Wedge would have been like, skill-wise). Finn had some really funny moments, and Rey is a believable (enough) hero.

EDIT: Oh, and BB-8 >>>> R2-D2

THE STARFIGHTER BATTLES WERE AWESOME. Although I kept having the nagging thought that we only got three starfighters shown in the entire film (TIE/fo, Special Forces TIE/fo [i think?] and T-70s). If they had shown more ships, we could have expected more things brought to X-Wing (assuming Ren's shuttle is too big/awkward to make sense).

Overall, net positive. Obviously blows prequels out of the water. Felt like an updated Episode IV and, while that's not what I wanted, it works.

very much agree with very much of what you said. The factions were underdeveloped, and evidently the republic was back, even though there was still a resistance?

This felt very much like an act 1 so I expect much of this to be fleshed out but agree also that Snoke and Hux and Phasma were almost ridiculously generic. Rey and Finn were awesome.

Edited by Bojanglez

Swear to god.

Honestly they start blending together.

I forgot, we're still in the archaic school of thought where we expect villains only to brood.

No actually, It was that moment that humanised him for me. Even though I knew who the actor was under the hood he was an unknown to me until then etc it was the tantrum that made me feel like I understood him as I did all the other villains who have shared his tropes. I find things like cold fury and emotionally distant villains scarier than emotional messes, people who vent are less scary to me.

You don't always have to go to snide condescension right off the mark, you can wait until you find out where someone is coming from before you leap to a fictional characters defence, maybe ask a probing question? I realise I didn't communicate why I felt like he wasn't scary as well as I could have so I get why you went where you did.

Alright, alright. I'm sorry. It was uncalled for.

Swear to god.

Oh I didn't ever say it was one person.

It's like talking to one person. Again. And again. And again. AND AGAIN.

It ends up blending when you hear a nigh hivemind recited phrase or thirty and the same complaints over and over again.

Swear to god.

It ends up blending when you hear a nigh hivemind recited phrase or thirty and the same complaints over and over again.

Then don't. You don't need to jump on a soapbox every time someone disagrees with your opinion. Rebels sucks. The Prequels suck. The Patriots cheat. Episode 7 was good, but not great. I can't believe its not butter.

This movie would have been so much better if there were trying to destroy anything besides a super Death Star. Like seriously anything. 

I mean they even had a trench run scene.  <_<

I enjoyed it, but I didn't leave the theater giddy. I thought I would, but I didn't. 

Edited by Jo Jo

This movie would have been so much better if there were trying to destroy anything besides a super Death Star. Like seriously anything.

I mean they even had a trench run scene. <_<

Yeah, I had feared this too. I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed when I saw the planet-gun. But all things considered, I was happy with it. I went in expecting little, and I left pleased. Edited by Lifer4700

Swear to god.

Then don't. You don't need to jump on a soapbox every time someone disagrees with your opinion. Rebels sucks. The Prequels suck. The Patriots cheat. Episode 7 was good, but not great. I can't believe its not butter.

Oh, oh, oh. I don't need to step on a soapbox, huh?

Okay, okay... Sure. sure why not? Why the hell not?

Then maybe prequel/rebels/notOTnotgoodenough haters, can get the hell off theirs? Because they need people to push back their engorged negativity about every **** thing.

You know, I wasn't surprised the evil guys tried making a bigger gun. I mean, the Empire made Star Destroyers, then made bigger Star Destroyers. Then they were like "Well the first Death Star blew up... Best make a second"

After 30 years I can only imagine someone being around the thought process of "But like, what if we made a BIGGER DEATH STAR!" Then everyone patting him on the back.

Nuclear_weapon_size_chart.jpg

We do it now-a-days too.

I was interested in two choices:
One, was the choice to use mostly new alien races for the scenes, even the "bar scene". I mean, that would have had been a great chance to throw in an old favourite like a Rodian or something... Oh well.

Two, the ending. I like the move to end it there, it shows J.J. is of the mind to show people "Hey, the search for Luke will not be the main plot of next episode". Instead when can jump into Rey being trained or post trained or whatever. I for one am excited.

Kylo Ren scares me.

He scares me. Not many people scare me outright, but he does. He's... Everything Anakin could have become, and yet... So much more powerful. A quiet, calculating, voice... Looks at people with the same, unwavering stare... The hair, even. He's everything Anakin was... But...

He's all the worst things about Anakin. Not in acting or something- no... He's the dark side of Anakin.

And he's frightening. Terrifying.

You Vader, Maul, were scary..?

Nobody's as terrifying as Kylo Ren.

Nobody.

Hehe. Odd. My reaction was that Ren was just an undeveloped bully-boy compared to Vader's calculating veteran, unable to (so far) escape his shadow.

That scene where the frightened officer had to break it to Ren that they failed, and all Ren could do was break some computers said it all to me. Then you have him being bossed around and out manoeuvred by some jumped up officer - the tone of those scenes were very different to the Tarkin/Vader ones, like children cast against adults.

And that's ignoring the overt moments of doubt, his panic at coming up against a capable force user etc.

I mean, I'm sure we've got character development to come, but for me the film did a fantastic job at setting him up to be a pretender (albeit a powerful one), not the real deal.

I liked it. Want great but I had my fun. Fully expected to go see it again in theaters but maybe once really was enough for now. If anything was to be faulted, it felt like they left half the film on a cutting room floor. There wasn't a lot of background on the factions save for what you can piece together. The conversations were maybe not super plot focused. Where was Phasma but for two scenes anyway?

The baddies were not that scary but there was room for it. The good guys hate to say it this way but, well they didn't lose enough. Parts felt detached.

But it certainly filled my quota for Lasers so I'm good. And there was some great humor.

On a side note, did anyone catch where R2-KT the pink astromech Droid was. I was told she had a cameo.

Edited by ForceSensitive

Saw it today, and still struggling with my feelings...

LOVED Kylo Ren and didn't expect to - wished he had his helmet off more, and glad that he wasn't outright killed off.

Overall, what I didn't like was that stuff just happened, and (to me) it seemed like we were just expected to care, rather than being given a reason to.

Take Rey for example - obviously the "main" character, much like Luke was in ANH... we have no background info on her, no insight at all apart from that she's waiting for her family. In ANH, we had Lukes interaction with his aunt, uncle and Obi Wan (and to a lesser extent with the droids), to give us some insight into his character and make us feel for his character.

With Rey we get nothing. Now obviously she has no "family" to fill in the details, but having her encounter and banter with a nemesis or friend/acquaintance for a bit of background would have gone a long way. (for anime fans - something like the opening of Valley of the Four Winds when Nausicaa meets Lord Yupa)

We're also just expected to accept that Rey is an amazing pilot too. With Luke we had the build up (Ben discussing his father's star fighting abilities and Luke's brag to Han and comment about bagging wamp rats) so that when he gets into an X-Wing, we're not surprised that he's capable.

The Force Awakens would severely benefit from an extra hour.

So much this. 

Room to breathe.

A looooot of stuff was choked into the end. We don't know who or what The Republic/First Order actually is. We seriously don't. Some of the fights were extremely brief. There IS missing dialogue used elsewhere in promotional material. I get the distinct feeling I was supposed to care about some of the resistance pilots dying. The first half was paced just fine and the opening was probably the best of any star wars film to date, to be completely honest. Hell if the entire film were paced that well then I'd be calling it my favorite right the hell now.

But here's the issue.

We couldn't get attached to anything besides the characters. Kanata's palace/bar? Oh it's gone. Jakku? Oh, uh, later. Starkiller Base? Well it certainly did it's damage and it's a huge th- oh. S'gone.

There's stuff missing. A lot of stuff. I guarantee it's entirely so it could fit into a standard cinema timeslot, too.

But The Force Awakens given an extra hour?

Best Star Wars movie. Period.