Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens. Your reaction? (Spoilers)

Maybe the scum will have smaller ship(s) - we never did see their ships. 

Bazine Netal flies a Gauntlet.

The Merson Martinet is going to be at least a huge ship it has a crew of 5 and it can at least carry a 5-man sailbarge.

The Guavian Death Gang and Kanjiklub didn't teleport to the Eravana - they flew there somehow.

I haven't read many of the responses so far in this thread, but here's my take:

While it's not perfect, it's a great Star Wars movie, and it's the kind of movie that fans deserved to get back when the prequels came out. If nothing else, JJ Abrams at least gave us a fun, action-filled movie that is very much in the tradition of the original series. This film is much more like the originals than the prequels in those regards.

It definitely echoed the previous films, but with enough differences that I didn't feel like it was an out-and-out rehash of any of them, although the "have to take down the shields so we can blow up X" was maybe a bit too RotJ. I did like that the trench run was a mashup of EP IV and EP VI, and that we saw Poe manipulating the X-Foils to make it all happen. That was fun and cool.

I get the criticism about the FO building another Death Star, but hey - they're not especially creative types. When something works for them, they pretty much just keep using it... and they do not have a culture that fosters innovative or "outside the box" thinking by any means. It's actually kind of hilarious that they keep trying to do the same thing over and over again even though it never works out. This fits with their fetishization of power, and yeah, I guess makes them a bit one-dimensional, but hey - this is Star Wars, where the vast majority of characters are explicitly either good guys or bad guys and there is precious little grey area in between.

I loved Rey and Finn and the way you see their friendship grow as they learn to trust one another under desperate circumstances. They really stole the show and I felt personally invested in both of them.

By contrast, I felt Han and Leia fell a little flat. I couldn't help but think that Harrison Ford is just over it. I felt he did a serviceable job - but I couldn't tell whether the feeling of tiredness was something he was acting, or something he was feeling. He almost seems relieved when KR betrays him at the end. Kind of a bummer but hey, he's 71 and probably pulling a Danny Glover - "I'm too old for this ****"

I loved Poe, but he's a bit too one-dimensional - he's just completely awesome all the time, always saying exactly the right thing, whether he's seeing off BB-8 while under attack, getting tortured by Kylo Ren, upstaging all the generals in the war room, or leading the charge to rescue Rey/Finn/etc or blow up Starkiller base. Don't get me wrong - I loved him, it's just that he's too perfect. I hope we get to see some rougher edges in the upcoming films.

I ***loved*** all the new X-Wing pilots (and the Stormtroopers, for that matter). Maybe it's too much of a blatant "United Colors of Benetton", but I don't care. We've got men and women from multiple races, aliens, the works. It's what they started at the end of RotJ brought forward perfectly to suit modern mores. Finally.

I liked quite a bit that all the FO officers were relatively young. All the old dudes are dead, and these kids - Hux and Ren and so forth - would've been total scrubs in the old Empire. It's only because all the old guys have been killed off that they have the opportunity they do. By contast, the Resistance still has a bunch of fogies. That right there tells you who's been winning that struggle. It also makes Snoke out for what he is - the creepy older dude sending the youths to their doom in service of his larger plan. I can't wait for what I assume is a nearly guaranteed reveal that Snoke is actually a Yoda-sized creep using some elaborate Wizard of Oz contraption to project his power over his minions.

I liked the way Kylo Ren was portrayed. He has all the angsty issues that Anakin from the prequels did, but without all the whining and incessant dialogue. Maybe I'm a sucker, but for a second I really did think Han might win him over, and I tried to imagine how awesome that would be... to actually have a living character go through the process of redeeming himself. But, then, sorry, haha this IS a SW after all! Lightsaber to the chest old man, my path to the dark side is complete, etc. There could really be no other way.

Overall, I really like where we're headed with this film. I'm definitely going to see it at least 2-3 more times in theaters and buy it when it comes out on disc/download. I'm happy - it's a Star Wars movie that doesn't suck!

I am holding out a small hope that Jar Jar Binks is the evil Sith lord behind all this.

There have been a few comments made that Ren should have been better in a lightsaber duel than he was because he is obviously wields a lot of power when using the force. Why would he be a great duelist? He seems to have more tricks with the force than Vader, Duku, or Maul did. It makes sense that he wouldn't be on their level dueling.

There have been a few comments made that Ren should have been better in a lightsaber duel than he was because he is obviously wields a lot of power when using the force. Why would he be a great duelist? He seems to have more tricks with the force than Vader, Duku, or Maul did. It makes sense that he wouldn't be on their level dueling.

He's also dealing with a gut shot. And he may be a bit unstable, mentally, after what he just did. 

For a second when I saw Snoke, my reaction was "Holy crap, the big bad guy is LITERALLY a big bad guy!"

But then I realized that hologram technology has improved significantly in the last 30 years.

Seriously, though, having Snoke be a giant alien sith lord would have been awesome.  Imagine the toy sales alone!

I agree with pretty much all of that analysis surfimp, except...

I get the criticism about the FO building another Death Star, but hey - they're not especially creative types. When something works for them, they pretty much just keep using it...

....when has building a Death Star EVER worked out well for the Empire?  lol

First one - countless man hours, countless resources, countless troops, ships and staff - all obliterated, along with Grand Moff Tarkin.  It got to fire once.

Second one - ditto, except this time the lost both Dark Lords, a Super Star Destroyer and a larger percentage of the Imperial fleet in the process.

You'd think they'd learn by now - building a PlanetDestroying MegaMcGuffin is not what's best for business.

Stick the resources into more Star Destroyers instead.  And TIE Defenders.

Edited by FTS Gecko

He's also dealing with a gut shot. And he may be a bit unstable, mentally, after what he just did. 

Plus, he actually fought TWO duels - won the first one against Finn, lost the second.

Especially because he probably had no real formal training, only what he could've been taught by Luke, who wasn't the best trained either.

yes, not counting the duel between Obi and Vader in ANH, the PT jedi had the advantage of 100's-1000's(?) of years of light saber tradition (despite their peaceful ways).  Luke never really had much saber training so he wouldn't really have been able to  train Kylo in that area, while Rei did have melee combat skills.

I get the criticism about the FO building another Death Star, but hey - they're not especially creative types. When something works for them, they pretty much just keep using it...

First one - countless man hours, countless resources, countless troops, ships and staff - all obliterated, along with Grand Moff Tarkin.  It got to fire once.

Second one - ditto, except this time the lost both Dark Lords, a Super Star Destroyer and a larger percentage of the Imperial fleet in the process.

You'd think they'd learn by now - building a PlanetDestroying MegaMcGuffin is not what's best for business.

I would have been fine with the Death Star 3000 if it actually didn't explode in this movie. It would have been better and an actual CHANGE if the resistance just disable it or something. Have the next movie the plan to finally figure out how to destroy and have a big space battle that serves as a distraction while a commando team lead by Finn or whoever gets on the planet and destroys the core from the inside.

In this movie, the whole thing seemed so brushed over. Yeah the FO made a massive DS. It blew up 4 or 5 planets and we simply took it out with 12 X-wings... Yipee! You pretty much knew as soon as you saw the base and that it was essentially a massive DS that it would be taken out. 

I just hope that in Episode VIII the new characters tell their own original story. I swear if there is an ice planet and an asteroid field scene I'll walk right out of that b****. 

And that gut shot was from a Bowcaster. We had plenty enough evidence, what happens when you get shot with it. Those flying stormtroopers are silent (pun) confirmations. The fact that, Kylo was able to fight after getting hit, shows his power.

Edited by Suriel

The film gripped me from start to finish, felt interested in every scene and there were lots of emotions going through me, especially with the antics of the droids, and Han/Chewie.

Love all of the new characters, Finn, Rey and Ren all interest me. I do wonder where Finns story can go from here (The trailer tricked me into thinking he will be the new jedi, should have known better).

I called Ren being Han/Leias son, and the fact that he came about through a failed jedi academy of Lukes... Happy with how that story looks central to the trilogy and I absolutely loved Adam Driver as Ren. 

Unfortunately since leaving the cinema and having time to think about it, it just runs too close to the ANH story. I really am quite unhappy that Disney/Lucas/JJ/ whoever else could let this happen. Obviously all of the fans called for a return to the style of the original trilogy, but that doesn't mean completely mirror the scenes of ANH. I am however glad that there is one storyline that doesn't mirror ANH, that of Rens torment between the light and dark side.

Other Hates:

• Phasma was a pointless character. Buildup completely wasted, okay she might do something amazing in the sequels (if she survived), but I think this showing has already ruined the character.
  • I know people hated the political scenes in the PT, but I was not one of them...I wanted to see more of the new republic and understand what is going on there before they got blown up....which leads me to my next point.
  • One known planet would have been nice, really want to see somewhere like Corellia / Nal Hutta / Nar Shadda etc.
  • More aliens please. Aliens are restricted to certain scenes. Sure we have had gungans, ewoks and wookies show up for battles (mostly to just protect there own planets), but there are plenty of other alien races who play a big part in the galaxy, why not have more in the resistance? Seeing that they are fighting against an anti-alien FO. An alien jedi potential would be nice. Maz was great mind!

After reading these again, these can all be fixed in the next two movies so I am still hopeful that we can see another perfect SW film, by perfect, I mean on the level of ESB.

And that gut shot was from a Bowcaster. We had plenty enough evidence, what happens when you get shot with it. Those flying stormtroopers are silent (pun) confirmations. The fact that, Kylo was able to fight after getting hit, shows his power.
or the inconsistency of the writing? Han had also never once tried that weapon in 35-40 years?

I think some backlash was inevitable but I honesty loved the film and I think most of the gaps will be filled in by the following episodes. I like that TFL didn't feel the need to spoonfeed us every bit of information and left a bit of mystery for the fan base to mull over.

I think some backlash was inevitable but I honesty loved the film and I think most of the gaps will be filled in by the following episodes. I like that TFL didn't feel the need to spoonfeed us every bit of information and left a bit of mystery for the fan base to mull over.

it needs a 8-hour 

labeled

HERE IS THE MOVIE, NOT THE 2 HOUR CRAMPED REVIEW

editor's cut.

I would have been fine with the Death Star 3000 if it actually didn't explode in this movie. It would have been better and an actual CHANGE if the resistance just disable it or something. Have the next movie the plan to finally figure out how to destroy and have a big space battle that serves as a distraction while a commando team lead by Finn or whoever gets on the planet and destroys the core from the inside.

In this movie, the whole thing seemed so brushed over. Yeah the FO made a massive DS. It blew up 4 or 5 planets and we simply took it out with 12 X-wings... Yipee! You pretty much knew as soon as you saw the base and that it was essentially a massive DS that it would be taken out. 

I just hope that in Episode VIII the new characters tell their own original story. I swear if there is an ice planet and an asteroid field scene I'll walk right out of that b****.

StarKiller base actually fulfilled its purpose, Destoryed the central government of the Republic and crippled its fleet. The Death Stars were they keys to the rebellion's greatest victories. However yes it would have been refreshing if StarKiller had just been disabled instead of going nova. But now we have two more movies that are free to do anything. Who knows what's gonna happen!

Reckless speculation: Rey's training isn't shown, only the end and the results. The Reaistance is leading the Republic in a desperate offensive against the FO that has met a stalemate. Ren's training is shown because we haven't seen dark side training yet. We also get to see the other Knights!

Lando! Revaluations about Rey's parents! Finn learns to actually fly something! Poe has more screentime than BB!

Maybe...

Was it that bad of an investment though?

I mean sure, it got destroyed by an X-wing lobbing proton torpedoes at its guts for the 3rd time, but they also nuked the opposing government off the map and created an opportunity to reassert themselves as a dominant power.

It was an incredible loss of technology, but since they built it on a pre-existing moon as opposed to building a brand new one, I'm sure it was way more cost effective.

All that said, I'd like to see the FO sink all their resources into their fleet for the next to movies. Seeing 2 dozen star destroyers pounding a planet into oblivion is just as effective a way to get a planet kill.

Edited by Sekac

or the inconsistency of the writing? Han had also never once tried that weapon in 35-40 years?

Thats a weapon that's supposed to require wookie like strength to load (draw the mechanism  and chamber the bolt). I can't rememeber exactly, but I think it's always Chewie reloading it while Han only fires it.

Thats a weapon that's supposed to require wookie like strength to load (draw the mechanism  and chamber the bolt). I can't rememeber exactly, but I think it's always Chewie reloading it while Han only fires it.

It seems Chewie upgraded it at some point since it never seemed more powerful than a regular blaster when he fired in ESB and ROTJ. Getting to blow up stuff with an AT-ST must have whet Chewie's appetite for destruction so he probably overpowered the thing to the point of TFA it was like a cannon.

OK, Went with my wife, she knows Star wars as film with black armor guy and cute bears :D And we both liked it, so it works on diferent target audiences.

Important parts :

T-70 has back arc, its shown in first 5 mins of film, I need it implemented now!

Dogfighting INSIDE downed star destroyer =100 likes

Rey using downed AT-AT as home= 200 likes

Finn as janitor...Hmmmmmmm, you have all this technical personel and use specially trained stormtroopers as janitors? No wonder they can't hit anything if they spend all their time cleaning instead of firing range.

Bonus track: while watching Reys interogation scene I had a horrible force vision granted to me. It was episode 9 - the Twilight of Force. Plot synopsis - Young heroine Rey has to choose between Brooding dark allpowerfull Ed...Kylo Ren and Finn who somehow spends half the movie half naked... let it be untrue

OK, Went with my wife, she knows Star wars as film with black armor guy and cute bears :D And we both liked it, so it works on diferent target audiences.

Important parts :

T-70 has back arc, its shown in first 5 mins of film, I need it implemented now!

Dogfighting INSIDE downed star destroyer =100 likes

Rey using downed AT-AT as home= 200 likes

Finn as janitor...Hmmmmmmm, you have all this technical personel and use specially trained stormtroopers as janitors? No wonder they can't hit anything if they spend all their time cleaning instead of firing range.

Bonus track: while watching Reys interogation scene I had a horrible force vision granted to me. It was episode 9 - the Twilight of Force. Plot synopsis - Young heroine Rey has to choose between Brooding dark allpowerfull Ed...Kylo Ren and Finn who somehow spends half the movie half naked... let it be untrue

Finn probably had to work his way up from janitor. This was his first battle, he's a freshly minted stormie while he may have been a janitor for years. Who knows, is first First Order job may have been working in the mail room.