Sign in to follow this  
JJFDVORAK

The Force Awakens. Your reaction? (Spoilers)

Just watched it. Was ok - its a typical Abrams movie - good enough to sit and watch to the end without complaint - but there are a few problems I have with it.

1) Maz Kanata - Supposedly a pirate, yet she has no crew, ship or fleet and a castle with no fortifications or defenses what-so-ever. She's more of a Yoda than a Jabba - the character she reminds me most of is the Oracle in the Matrix. Maybe she's sort of like Calypso in Pirates of the Carribean? This bridge between the 2 halves of the movie seem the weakest.

2) Lack of subtle interaction between old friends - After the destruction of Starkiller Base, Leia and Chewbacca just walk past each other without any sort of interaction.

3) Lack of visual variation in spacecraft - Both the TIEs (TIE/fo & TIE/sf) and X-Wings (T-70 & T-85) look too similar. Wasn't expecting many new starfighters (the original trilogy never did intro that many ships) was just hoping they looked more different between the various classes.

There may be more later when I think on it when I'm less sleepy :P

Favorite parts of the movie:

-BB-8 giving Finn the blowtorch thumbs up

-Stormtrooper Daniel Craig getting mind tricked by Rey

Those two parts really were epic.  Although that *is* one thing JJ does well - get those quippy dialog bits in.

"Who talks first?  Me?  You?"

That blowtorch thumbs up - gawds that was hilarious.

"What are you doing?  What's the [huh] thing?  What's that?  Why are you doing that?"

ROFL...

Say what you want about JJ as a director, but he is **** good at finding a cast. Ridley, Boyega, Issac, and Driver are really going to sell this new trilogy.

Yes I totally agree. I'm not a huge JJ fan(I don't hate him, but a lot of his stuff is...meh), but I love, love, love the new cast members! They all did a super job and it was very refreshing to have good acting in a new Star Wars movie.

Can someone explain Max Von Sydow's character - it seemed really odd to have such a great actor and big name to have such a small part in terms of screen time, but play such a crucial role in introducing one of the main McGuffins of the film.

Do you think most of his scenes were cut for the sake of jumping straight to the action ?

anyone who knows the force, knows that when the main force user, Rei, and the only person in the galaxy with info on Luke are on the same planet is no coincidence.

Now for how the opening sequence was a lot like ANH. Stormtroopers show up and are actually pretty good, high ranking rebel/resistance operative gives sensitive info to an astromech, black, caped, masked bad guy shows up and captures said operative, operative shows no fear when first confronted.

also, Kylo's parentage is nearly spoiled when old guy at the beginning knows him and his parents, possibly another not coincidence.

I suspect we will see a bit more of him next episode. As I am fairly certain he was the one Rey was given to on Jakku.

Yeah, a flashback to Rey's parents dropping her of to the old guy. Sounds very likely. It also make sense how he knows about where Luke is and knows Princess Leia.

My two cents.

1. Overall I liked and enjoyed the movie.

2. My biggest complaint is the movie didn't feel like Star Wars. I can't quite explain it. Perhaps Lucas puts some sort of addictive substance in his films and he didn't sell it to Disney. Without Han, Luke, etc the movie is only Star Wars because Disney slapped the SW logo on it. A lot of it felt forced. The dejarik holoboard game being turned on. C-3PO jumping in front of the camera. It was over the top, perhaps this is were less is more makes sense.

3. The main premise of Luke gone into hiding. Why would he leave a map? If it is for someone to find him in an emergency then why would the map be in three different parts. (Also the map itself is a joke. All you need is the end of the map not a trail leading to it.) If the First Order had the other parts of the map. Why didn't they just search all the planets in the missing section of their map? Or just blow up the planets in the that sections.

4. Phasma (or whoever she was). Why would she turn off the shield? Seems like fight or die was a more likely option.

5. Rey was great. I liked her character and acting.

6. Finn was good. His giving up on the FO seemed somewhat forced, but not impossible.

7. Poe was ok. A very excited ADHD character. Sweet pilot, just all over the place.

8. Ren was decent. Acting wise he was fine. Character wise, nor a fan. Seemed strange to see a dark side temper tantrum. His transgression was odd to me. Start of the film he was badass. Stopped a laser bolt in midair (never seen that before) used the force to freeze Poe, read his mind, he seemed super powerful. Then he can't beat Finn (Who lost to an unnamed stormtrooper in his first duel) when the duel. I will say I hate Ren (because of what he did on the catwalk) but that doesn't make his acting or character bad.

9. Lando? Where for art thou Lando? I hope it's only because he can only be in two out of three movies.

10. Wedge. Wish he would have agreed to be in the movie.

11. End of movie hug between Leia and Rey. Unless Leia actually know who she is, why is she hugging a stranger and not comforting/being comforted by Chewie.

12. Han's moment at the end upset me, I won't lie I wished it hadn't happened. It wasn't even shocking as it was very choreographed.

Minor nitpicks.

1. Shield being turned off so easily. Obviously they had lots of stormtroopers as evident from the General's speech. So having no one stationed to protect such a vital area is dumb.

2. Who was the Resistance resisting? If the FO was so bad, wouldn't the Republic oppose them.

3. Ren's temper tantrums. It wouldn't be so bad if the movie itself didn't make fun of it by having the two troopers sneak away and turn it into a comedic moment.

4. The scavenger that first had BB-8 just giving him up because Rey ran up. Seems to me that he would have fought back for his huge prize (as a Droid would be a huge payday).

5. Leia. God I wish she hadn't gone off the deep end with addiction. She sounded like Leia had smoked a cartoon a day since RotJ

6. Finn knowing much of anything about Starkville base other than its location, especially after we find out he was a janitor.

Again my overall reaction is positive. I will watch it again.

I Hope Max Von Sydow have a part in next years Rebels movie, together with Poe, to explain his character a Little bit beyond being wise old man with enoigh info to start movie. Is it mentioned anywhere Maz is a pirate? Seemed like a bar owner to me?

2) Lack of subtle interaction between old friends - After the destruction of Starkiller Base, Leia and Chewbacca just walk past each other without any sort of interaction.

I wrote this off as both being in shock still, going business until there's more time.

I liked it. It was Star Wars again. I love the new foundation of actors and see a bright future.

I think Ren can be pretty scary. He isn't the cold and calculating Sith Lord that his grandfather was.

This will sound odd, but my own son is autistic. He is fantastically brilliant, somewhat socially awkward, and can be emotionally unstable if things go badly and weren't how he envisioned it. Ren was exactly this. He was a brilliant force user, complete control of his troop detachments. As soon as things go badly, his emotions completely take charge and he melts down enormously. Having this type of unstable emotion with the force and a lightsaber is a pretty frightening, you never know what will set him off. If he doesn't somehow turn light in the next episode (I think he's going to turn light before the end, if he does), I hope they keep this unstable aspect of his personality.

People keep complaining about how good Finn was with the lightsaber.

He had 2 fights, and he lost both. He's a stormtroopers, so he'd have rudimentary training with melee weapons, and it seems the melee weapons of the FO hurt if you touch the business end, much like a lightsaber. What movie are people watching that Finns lightsaber scenes are so unbelievable?

It is also established early in the movie that Rey knows how to handle a melee weapon, and she is actually losing badly to Ren until he arrogantly reminds her that she can tap into the force to improve her fighting skills.

By the way, the bromance between Poe and Finn? I totally ship it.

Finn is totally the apex of the sequel love triangle.

Also...a few observations for the stormies. Finn started as a janitor, so he might not have been as well indoctrinated as other recruits. Doesn't sound like he was already a stormie in training and was busted to sanitation, sounds like he worked up to joining. This would explain why the atrocities of the FO would be so shocking, he was sheltered from it all but not given the full propaganda treatment.

Edited by GrimmyV

I Hope Max Von Sydow have a part in next years Rebels movie, together with Poe, to explain his character a Little bit beyond being wise old man with enoigh info to start movie. Is it mentioned anywhere Maz is a pirate? Seemed like a bar owner to me?

1) Max could be in it but the Chuch of the Force (is it called that) won't have been created yet - prob an aftermath story.

2) Poe is just born around the time of RotJ (not sure when). In Rebels he won't even have been a naughty thought in his daddy's mind yet.

3) Maz is never said to be a pirate in the movie (Good thing) but it is in the promo pre-release material.

People keep complaining about how good Finn was with the lightsaber.

He had 2 fights, and he lost both. He's a stormtroopers, so he'd have rudimentary training with melee weapons, and it seems the melee weapons of the FO hurt if you touch the business end, much like a lightsaber. What movie are people watching that Finns lightsaber scenes are so unbelievable?

It is also established early in the movie that Rey knows how to handle a melee weapon, and she is actually losing badly to Ren until he arrogantly reminds her that she can tap into the force to improve her fighting skills.

Ren also has bowcaster bolt in his belly, kindly donated by Chewbacca. A bowcaster bolt usually has an explosive tip, which means he has a belly full of shrapnel during the lightsabre duel - its kind of distracting.

Edited by Hantheman

THE most annoying things (besides poor actorship 90% times, 1-2 minute screen time on most characters, crumped OT copypaste...)

are how disguistingly, miserably the OT characters failed.

no, really,

Luke, THE last, most powerful jedi of a time, ****** up, lost his very first pupil, whole school failed, no jedi trained, he succluded to a hermit life of a failure in a new zealand island distant planet, located in THE only sector of galaxy somehow missing from the map.

lol what a failure.

Han ,who ****** up,  lost his son, his wife, and came back to petty crime life of a smuggler.

and died in a most "lol even a wookie could see that coming" fashion.

leia, who did not get her force powers, didn't make anything useful and is a "general" of a miserable "resistance" on the side of completely and UTTERLY dumb republic of pacifists. Also lost her husband, son and well, everything.

it's not "dark forces rise again"

it's "the forces of the light are dumb useless and completely powerless characters with no character whatsover.

p.s. the whole Deathstar thing was unnecessary, no battles in space worth mentioning, only 1 space pizza destroyer in all film, 15 seconds of screen time.

3\10 is the most film deserves.

It takes a mindless OT WORSHIPPER to rate it more, I think.

not even a fan, a worshipper.

Edited by Warpman

THE most annoying things (besides poor actorship 90% times, 1-2 minute screen time on most characters, crumped OT copypaste...)

are how disguistingly, miserably the OT characters failed.

no, really,

Luke, THE last, most powerful jedi of a time, ****** up, lost his very first pupil, whole school failed, no jedi trained, he succluded to a hermit life of a failure in a new zealand island distant planet, located in THE only sector of galaxy somehow missing from the map.

lol what a failure.

Han ,who ****** up,  lost his son, his wife, and came back to petty crime life of a smuggler.

and died in a most "lol even a wookie could see that coming" fashion.

leia, who did not get her force powers, didn't make anything useful and is a "general" of a miserable "resistance" on the side of completely and UTTERLY dumb republic of pacifists. Also lost her husband, son and well, everything.

it's not "dark forces rise again"

it's "the forces of the light are dumb useless and completely powerless characters with no character whatsover.

p.s. the whole Deathstar thing was unnecessary, no battles in space worth mentioning, only 1 space pizza destroyer in all film, 15 seconds of screen time.

I don't agree with your first statement, as I thought the acting was pretty good. But the overall remake of Episode 4 does bother me. And as for the failure of the OT characters, you are spot on. What did they do with their lives for 30 years. Nothing but make mistakes apparently. I didn't hate the movie. I really like the new lightside characters(the bad guys are meh) but the way the portrayed the main characters from the OT was lackluster at best.

I don't agree with your first statement, as I thought the acting was pretty good. But the overall remake of Episode 4 does bother me. And as for the failure of the OT characters, you are spot on. What did they do with their lives for 30 years. Nothing but make mistakes apparently. I didn't hate the movie. I really like the new lightside characters(the bad guys are meh) but the way the portrayed the main characters from the OT was lackluster at best.

I agree with most of your points, and I was disappointed with the film, but I not because I thought it was bad as such. I thought it was just a re-skinned Ep 4 and it wasn't what episode 7 should have been.

As a stand-alone film it was quite good, I thought. But it isn't a stand-alone film - it's part of a 9 part saga, which I think the writers forgot.

I thought he OT characters were portrayed very realistically. 30 years is a LONG time, a life time for many who are lost too early. I can see Han running away after his son basically turned into Vader 2.0, it was just too much. Han went back to doing what he knew, and the same for Leia, they weren't looking for him anymore, he was gone to them and it hurt.

And Luke...I'm surprised he didn't just commit suicide after the purge of his new Jedi Order. It must have made him feel that no matter what he does the dark side still destroys what you work towards. All the old mistakes that Obi Wan, Yoda and the rest made ages ago still couldn't be avoided.

In the three decades between 6 and 7 I'm sure there were happy times, victories and celebrations. But that's not what the SW movies are for, they show us the turmoil, the strife and the loss of war, the hard decisions we must make in life, and the importance of family and friends and loving them enough to sacrifice yourself for them or let them go if you can't save them. And The Force Awakens is all about that.

If you want snuggly happy endings you should have never watched this movie. No one is safe, anyone can die, and the bad guys can win. It's like 1980 again.

... THE STARFIGHTER BATTLES WERE AWESOME. Although I kept having the nagging thought that we only got three starfighters shown in the entire film (TIE/fo, Special Forces TIE/fo [i think?] and T-70s). If they had shown more ships, we could have expected more things brought to X-Wing (assuming Ren's shuttle is too big/awkward to make sense). ...

I agree, there isn't a whole lot to pull from for future X-Wing waves. Too bad.

And, put me in the camp that enjoyed the movie.

Another observation: for the first time in ages,no matter the lotr films, the Marvels, the Dc's, or any other franchise, this was the first time in ages that heard moviegoers of all ages talk excitedly about the film, both other trilogies and even the EU. How they felt, what it means, what might lie in store.