Sign in to follow this  
Olethros

Star Wars Force Awakens Ships (Spoilers from the Movie)

The Stormtrooper transport could, I guess, be a sort of First Order analogue to the Y-wing - the problem is I don't think that the 'pintle HMG' really qualifies for much firepower on the scale of a dogfighting game. Suppressing a landing zone, fine - but not shooting down an attacking X-wing.

The stormtrooper transport doesn't seem like it would much of a ship in X-Wing, really.

The stormtrooper transport doesn't seem like it would much of a ship in X-Wing, really.

I disagree.

First off, the Stormtrooper Transport is fairly small. It *could* theoretically go on a small base (A little longer than the k-wing and b-wing). Give it decent straight speed, but poor turning. Give it a primary weapon turret, possibly making it 1 red. 3 hull, 3 shield, and 1 agility.

Give it TWO crew slots - now, yes you could put palpatine on it, he would be an easy target, 1 attack and poor turning, with the only upgrades being crew slots.

create a boarding mechanic

Trooper Squad

2 crew

4 Points

When you touch base with a large or huge base enemy ship, you may discard this upgrade and deal one facedown damage card or remove 1 crew or team team of equal or lesser value on that ship.

alternate mechanic:

When you touch base with a large or huge enemy ship, you may discard this upgrade and assign two boarding party tokens to that ship.

Boarding party token:

For each boarding party token an ship has, one crew slot is disabled. Two boarding party tokens can disable a team upgrade. A player can remove and discard a boarding token from a crew card as an action.

If there are no crew or team upgrades to assign a token to, remove the boarding party tokens. For each one removed, deal that ship a face down damage card.

Well, I'm just going to go down the Vehicles & Vessels section of the wookieepedia article for TFA.

Resurgent-class Star Destroyer - Too big for X-Wing obviously.

Baleen-class Heavy Freighter - Han's big cargo freighter.  Too big for X-Wing given it's size relative to the Falcon.

Upsilon-class command shuttle - Kylo Ren's ship.  I'm sure it's inevitable.

TIE/fo Fighter - Already have it.

TIE/sf Fighter - I'm sure it's coming.

T-70 X-Wing - Already have it, though we might get a Black One title in an aces pack.

Atmospheric Assault Lander - The Stormtrooper transports.  Given the name, maybe won't see them unless the game expands into ground battles.

Resistance Transport - Less likely than the Upsilon, but still think we'll get this, since there's toys of it.

Light Infantry Utility Vehicle - Don't remember this, but it's apparently a First Order snowspeeder.  So, not a space ship.

Quadrijet transfer space tug - Not exactly a high priority, but FFG might be desperate to release anything for Scum from TFA.

A Tech Slot turret would also allow you to represent the 'hot shot' weapon on Poe's (first) X-wing.

It COULD, but it's also pretty much the exact same thing the Falcon has had for ages, that is never represented in this game.

It's like a light, anti-personnel blaster.  It probably can't even damage starships.

So, a couple of pictures explaining the Special forces Tie. 

Awesome.  So the thing on top is definitely an antennae, and not a cannon.

Odd that it says it has concussion and mag pulse missiles(which is stated in the movie), but I don't see the launcher anywhere in the cutaway.

Edited by DarthEnderX

What I would really like to know is how the Tie can have a 360 firing arc as the text says... It would shoot its own wings.... Such a lazy design for a new Tie Fighter... :(

Well, it's space, and you can fly above a target, so, 360 degrees if you're aiming with a tilt downwards. Technically not lying.

In Xwing though I still stick with the idea that you give the Tie/sf front/rear arc, a missile, sensor slot and crew slot. Now your primary can only out the front, but have a title. If you equip the title you can equip a turret, fire your primary weapon then fire your turret out of the front or rear arc at another target as long as you have a TL on the target. A bit close to the BTL, but, still fun and thematic and makes great use of Fire Control Systems.

I think (perhaps incorrectly) that we seen a T-70 in the movie and a T-85 without many people picking up on it. I think the T-85 is more of a bomber and has that turret in the back.

I think wave 9 or 10 will have the TIE SF and the T-85 (replaces the role of the Ywing).

Curious if anyone agrees with these thoughts...

Edited by Dusty27

What I would really like to know is how the Tie can have a 360 firing arc as the text says... It would shoot its own wings.... Such a lazy design for a new Tie Fighter...

Agreed.  If they'd at least looked into the EU, they would have seen that the Aggressor does everything they want the TIE/sf to do, and could have just made a FO TIE Aggressor.

What I would really like to know is how the Tie can have a 360 firing arc as the text says... It would shoot its own wings.... Such a lazy design for a new Tie Fighter...

Agreed.  If they'd at least looked into the EU, they would have seen that the Aggressor does everything they want the TIE/sf to do, and could have just made a FO TIE Aggressor.

Not very likely, they really wanted that distinctive TIE silhouette.

But the Aggressor is ugly as s**t and this Special Forces TIE is just a more Badass TIE.

Hell

SWG players never even FLEW The Aggressor or Oppressor. They were too busy Fel-ing it out! Don't act like the ship was EVER a big deal or anybody EVER really cared about it.

That platform was the black sheep of The Imperial Fleet in SWG, and nobody loved it. Ever.

But the Aggressor is ugly as s**t and this Special Forces TIE is just a more Badass TIE.

I don't think it's ugly.  And it's still more interesting then just another TIE Fighter.

That platform was the black sheep of The Imperial Fleet in SWG, and nobody loved it. Ever.

That's because the thing that set it apart was it's turret.  And using turrets sucked in SWG.  But they're awesome in movies(and in XWM).  So I don't blame this ship for that.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I disagree.

First off, the Stormtrooper Transport is fairly small. It *could* theoretically go on a small base (A little longer than the k-wing and b-wing). Give it decent straight speed, but poor turning. Give it a primary weapon turret, possibly making it 1 red. 3 hull, 3 shield, and 1 agility.

Give it TWO crew slots - now, yes you could put palpatine on it, he would be an easy target, 1 attack and poor turning, with the only upgrades being crew slots.

Trooper Squad

2 crew

4 Points

When you touch base with a large or huge base enemy ship, you may discard this upgrade and deal one facedown damage card or remove 1 crew or team team of equal or lesser value on that ship.

alternate mechanic:

When you touch base with a large or huge enemy ship, you may discard this upgrade and assign two boarding party tokens to that ship.

Boarding party token:

For each boarding party token an ship has, one crew slot is disabled. Two boarding party tokens can disable a team upgrade. A player can remove and discard a boarding token from a crew card as an action.

If there are no crew or team upgrades to assign a token to, remove the boarding party tokens. For each one removed, deal that ship a face down damage card.

I don't think it would work. Most large base ships have PWTs and could fly circles around the boarding craft or just flying away from it while throwing 3 red dice each turn.

The Stormtrooper Transport seems to me like a modern version of the Sentinel-class shuttle - but with a smaller troop capacity - more like the Lambda but less officer-centric.

I could see it filling a similar niche - but it would have to have its own schtick as well.

I disagree.

Trooper Squad

2 crew

4 Points

alternate mechanic:

Boarding party token:

I don't think it would work. Most large base ships have PWTs and could fly circles around the boarding craft or just flying away from it while throwing 3 red dice each turn.

If it was cheap enough, it might be okay. Honestly, I'm just throwing out ideas. I'm not a game designer, but having some unique ships wouldn't hurt the game. Similar to the asymetric dial on the Jumpmaster - unique feel. A cheap support ship for the First Order. Load it with crew that supports other ships.

Considering the First Order doesn't name its stormtroopers, i doubt they give names to their TIE pilots. Just numbers like Finn's FN-2187.

Depends whether the First Order thinks that kidnapping kids is just as good for fighter pilots as it is for infantry. They might have, you know, a more traditional approach to flight school. 

Considering the First Order doesn't name its stormtroopers, i doubt they give names to their TIE pilots. Just numbers like Finn's FN-2187.

Depends whether the First Order thinks that kidnapping kids is just as good for fighter pilots as it is for infantry. They might have, you know, a more traditional approach to flight school.

They likely test the children for aptitude and assign then to a particular service that suits their abilities.