Sign in to follow this  
Olethros

Star Wars Force Awakens Ships (Spoilers from the Movie)

While it's slightly disappointing to not have some shiny new fighters to drool over, I can understand why it was done. The X-Wing and the Tie fighter are the ultimate iconic ships of each faction, and since both the factions and the ships themselves have changed somewhat, it makes sense for them to want to reinforce the identities of the First Order and the Resistance by keeping the iconic ships front and center.

I personally consider it laziness on the designer's part. Every Star Wars movie before now has introduced new fighter designs, usually for both sides but Ep VII finally comes and all we get is upgraded X-Wings and a couple of TIE variants. One of the things I like about the Stars Wars movies is the clash between a force with multiple ship and fighter design styles facing one with a more unified design style. I just hope Episode VIII fixes things.

Just look at all the new star fighter designs for TESB! We got he TIE Bomber! And....

Um...

Slave 1? It's not a fighter though.

Hmm.

AT-ATs and AT-STs! Oh no those are walkers.

What about snow speeders and cloud cars? Oh....atmosphere only. Darn.

I personally consider it laziness on the designer's part. Every Star Wars movie before now has introduced new fighter designs, usually for both sides but Ep VII finally comes and all we get is upgraded X-Wings and a couple of TIE variants. One of the things I like about the Stars Wars movies is the clash between a force with multiple ship and fighter design styles facing one with a more unified design style. I just hope Episode VIII fixes things.

Have you considered that, as the first film to relaunch the biggest movie franchise ever, they might have felt they needed to concentrate on what the general public would recognise from the originals? I suspect JJ Abrams didn't have the FFG X-Wing community on the top of his list of considerations! Relax, there'll be more, we have a new film coming out every year for the next 5 years at least, plus Rebels, plus comics, plus books. Chill yer boots fella!

I surely was expecting some B Wings upgrades.... Like i said, i loved the movie, but it relies too much in the old mold, it was too afraid to create new designs. Even the  new X-Wing is not new at all, it is actually the original design of the ship.

Good news!

The cockpit of the rebel, I mean resistance landing shuttle is taken from a B-Wing Mk2!

Bad news is, I believe, that the B-Wing Mk2 was cancelled. Hence its cockpit's availability for an ugly. 

I do really want the 2 seater Tie with a rear arc when equipt with a crew. That would be awesome!

The same "rear arc" cannon shoots forward too (took out turbo lasers they were flying towards) - not sure if this means the TIE in question forgoes the normal weaponry in favour of the cannon (don't remember the pilot doing any shooting at all in that scene)

Per the Incredible Cross-Sections book, the TIE/sf: 

-Has two fixed forward firing laser cannon, has the laser cannon turret, and warhead launchers capable of firing various ordnance. Plus shields and a hyperdrive. The TIE/sf isn't the new TIE Interceptor, it's the new TIE Advanced. 

How about the ship they were running to before it blew up and they headed to tha Falcon instead, We never saw it fly but it could be a nice (scum) addition.

Also how about the Freighter Han's on as an epic ship

And a Hotshotblaster on a T-70 please??? :D

A S&V Subpro Quadrijet transfer spacetug? 

Han had another ship, remember?

The one he used to steal back the Falcon. Though we didn't get a good look at it, it would easily classify as a Huge ship and wouldn't be usable in standard play.

We may see FFG dip into some of the concept art for the film, or maybe just swing back to some obscure EU ships, like the H-Wing. I'd love to see something like "Imperial Allies" and "Rebel Allies" with Chiss and Hapes Consortium ships, respectively.

Also, a capital ship getting bested by a single TIE?! Worst Star Destroyer Class, ever.

From Incredible Cross-Sections, it appears that the First Order hasn't been able to fully arm all of their star destroyers, yet. Apparently, much to the chagrin of the First Order's naval officer corps, a lot of khyber crystals that could be used to arm the star destroyers are being used in experiments, instead. 

ETA: This opens an interesting possibility. First off, apparently the First Order has a secret source for their khyber crystals. Second off, that means that khyber crystals are probably significantly easier to find that we've been lead to believe. Although I believe that they are chiefly used in military-grade turbolasers. So instead of having to brave the hostile weather conditions of Ilum and dodge Imperial patrols to get a khyber crystal for their lightsaber, an F&D character could instead steal one out of a star destroyer. (Potentially, they might be able to salvage one from a derelict Clone Wars-era star destroyer or cruiser - although presumably, the khyber crystals would be the first thing a salvager would scavenge off one.)

Edited by Vigil

Kinda interesting how little we saw of ships they had designed up in the concept art leeks from months ago. Like the Quadhopper which was clearly originally Rey's ship

yrpdphcvriskqhfjvjpi.jpg

da98xov9dgazgkatldxe.jpg

yrveqq596y6v62expxyz.jpg

kvdtk7solkjxvk0wyasc.jpg

this one looked very cool too which looks like it has a pair of T-65 engines on it.

p7sdgybeebde2zazwxid.jpg

also this big fighter

B7f4yc7CMAA9IOr.jpg

I really liked the First Order landing craft, I've seen what could be close to x-wing scale version from Hot Wheels that comes bundled with a T-70

CKJ81_c_16_2.jpg

though there's also a Titanium series version, looks like it has a turret on the roof, not sure if it's a quad or a double barrel like a Y-wing.

Edited by Rob Jedi

So... In the Force Awakens Millennium Falcon expansion how about these for pilots?

Scum

Ducain

Unkar Plutt

Pilot skill 3

- ability: When you reveal a manoeuvre you may execute a red "0" manoeuvre instead. (Because crappy midifications make the ship stall)

Resistance

Rey

Pilot skill 9

Crew

Finn

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

what kind of ship do we see in Rei's flashback?

Well that depends on her parents... presumably either Luke or Han's ship at the time when she was dropped off on Jakku.

I'm not sure if you haven't seen the movie, been a parent, or are trolling (or combination thereof) when it comes to that comment.

First off: If Han was Rey's father, they would recognize each other. As would Leia.

Second: Han has lost his son, he feels empty and Rey is waiting for her family. There was no more to that relationship than each other being longing and connection for things lost

Finally: while it is possuble that Luke is Rey's father, I think it unlikely. Once again there didn't seen to be a recognition of "oh high dad!" but more of "hey, this is the island from my dreams, and karking Luke Skywalker who i know about, and is standing in front of me and totally NOT a myth". I believe Rey's parents dropped her off on Jakku because the First Order was abducting children to fill its ranks. Remember that Finn was on his first combat mission, similar age to Rey, and was sent to RECONDITIONING. It seems stormtroopers are now raised from a very young age. No, I feel that Rey doesn't have a familial link, but is strong in the force and meant to be TRAINED by Luke. Once again, she dreamed of the island in the ocean, and Luke went to find the first Jedi Temple after his new Jedi Order was wiped out. He likely meditated in his seclusion and got a vision of the moment through the force of Rey's arrival. Hell, he probably felt or knew about Han's death at Kylo's hand. His nephew who he trained killed his best friend. He will be hesitant, which i see in his reaction, to train another in the Force.

If we're looking into TFA tie-in media, like the prequel novel Before The Awakening, then we get more ships.

There's the T-85 X-wing (the T-70 is an older model), there's the Z-95 Headhunter (maybe it's the EU version and not the TCW version?) and there's lots of capital ships as well.

The Z-95 was already canon - pops up in games, the Tarkin novel, etc.

also this big fighter

B7f4yc7CMAA9IOr.jpg

I really liked the First Order landing craft, I've seen what could be close to x-wing scale version from Hot Wheels that comes bundled with a T-70

Isn't this the ship of the red helmeted pirates that boarded Han's ship?

I do really want the 2 seater Tie with a rear arc when equipt with a crew. That would be awesome!

The same "rear arc" cannon shoots forward too (took out turbo lasers they were flying towards) - not sure if this means the TIE in question forgoes the normal weaponry in favour of the cannon (don't remember the pilot doing any shooting at all in that scene)

I see a TIE with a Crew and/or Cannon slot with a front/rear arc, like the Firespray. We haven't seen a dual arc small ship yet so it will open new ground (and hopefully lead to an A-Wing mod to do something similar).

The thing with the transports is; what exactly will they do?

The Resistance shuttle, sure, they've already set a precedent with the Ivory Void Bovine; probably similar size and armaments, you get a whole bunch of neat-o crew cards (like Leia).

But the FO one was just a dropship and I don't see anywhere in X-Wing for a craft designed to drop off a bunch of Troopers.

The thing with the transports is; what exactly will they do?

The Resistance shuttle, sure, they've already set a precedent with the Ivory Void Bovine; probably similar size and armaments, you get a whole bunch of neat-o crew cards (like Leia).

But the FO one was just a dropship and I don't see anywhere in X-Wing for a craft designed to drop off a bunch of Troopers.

It's an Imperial ship with a turret on the roof