Sign in to follow this  
jshlouie

Lightsaber blaster

So after looking at the keeping the peace lightsaber options, it seems a blaster lightsaber should be a distinct hilt style. I agree that the blaster stats should be comparable to a hold out. Any thoughts on whether crystal abilities/ upgrades should affect the blaster as well?

wow, there is a lot of back and forth here.  One of my players is really interested in this idea as well, the biggest issue we had with it was how (if at all) he could use both the pistol and sword in the same round.  Simple answer, we ruled that he couldn't.  Once we ruled that he couldn't use both the pistol portion and the sword portion in the same round, shat difference is there really? He could have a character that carries around a lightsaber and a holdout pistol, but wouldn't it be cool (and kind of star warsesque) to join them together so his lightsaber doesn't really look like a lightsaber, and the pistol doesn't really look like a pistol.  If you are looking into the "science" of something in the universe filled with space wizards and space stations the size (but not density) of moons, couldn't we just agree that if I could duct tape a holdout blaster to a lightsaber and have one item that fulfills both purposes, that I could just make a casing that could hold both items?  There are blasters that are similar to derringers.  ones that could be hidden away in the palm, As the GM of our game, I didn't really see a problem letting the player design his own style of this type (again, this isn't adding a Blaster Rifle, and he can't do both weapons at once, he has to switch the energy feed between the two weapon types).

This may not be for everyone, but it works for us pretty well.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Ezra Hilt, but the blaster portion would still shout blaster bolts, not lightsaber plasma rounds. 

And yes, I would likely go with the smallest hold out blaster stats, perhaps with an Inferior quality as well, since it isn't designed well for the purpose of it's original intended use. 

I might allow them to be used in the same round, in the same manner as two weapons used in the same round, First he would need to add the "Linked" quality. And then the user designates which attack is primary, and if he gets enough advantages, he "Hits" something with the other part of the weapon. 

So I think I've decided on the following:dmg -1/-3 (lightsaber/blaster), enc 2, hp 3, limited ammo 6, incidental to switch between modes, appropriate mods and crystal upgrades will apply to both.

Any strong opposition, game imbalance issues I may have overlooked?

giving it hard points. 

#1 I would give it fewer... personally I would only let it have 1. 

#2 you should have restrictions on what Modifications can be added as the design isn't really good for many modifications, Like a Scope wouldn't really work with it well. 

are you going with the "Ezra" look? it is the only loo that would really work well, a small blaster attached to a lightsaber as more of a Guard. 

A lightsaber attached to a blaster look wouldn't be able to be wielded as a sword very effectively. 

I'm of the opinion that Erza's lightsabre works because the Stun function is just an energy bolt whereas a Blaster shot requires "Ammunition" (ie. Tabanna Gas). I think is the reason why it works is it fits the rubber science of the SW universe but also it fits the spirit of the narrative. Attaching an actual Blaster just doesn't feel right.

That said I wouldn't not allow it but we are definitely talking a major Mod. I likely go with a Holdout Blaster that would take up 2 Hard Points plus I'd require that the PC have and use an additional HP from either the Jury Rigged or Tinkerer Talent.

The idea the player has is not simply an addition to the lightsaber, but rather a lightsaber that functions as both. It would be a curved hilt with a trigger on the inside curve, firing from the same end as the blade ignites. He wants a Jedi character that has a sixshooter, but also a lightsaber. He was hoping to marry the two together seamlessly. Because of this, as well as what I saw in keeping the peace, it seemed best to treat it as a hilt style.

@snowdragon, the hilt has to have at least two hp's to account for a crystal, so he only has one to play with unless he rolls well. And I agree certain mods shouldn't work, such as a scope, and will be limited with gm discretion.

I would go with what others have said then, A Hilt would not have the capacity to hold both the mechanisms for both a Lightsaber and a Blaster. 

This is a Case where I think there is to much Cheese on the cracker. 

I.E. I personally would allow it. 

The idea the player has is not simply an addition to the lightsaber, but rather a lightsaber that functions as both. It would be a curved hilt with a trigger on the inside curve, firing from the same end as the blade ignites. He wants a Jedi character that has a sixshooter, but also a lightsaber. He was hoping to marry the two together seamlessly. Because of this, as well as what I saw in keeping the peace, it seemed best to treat it as a hilt style.

@snowdragon, the hilt has to have at least two hp's to account for a crystal, so he only has one to play with unless he rolls well. And I agree certain mods shouldn't work, such as a scope, and will be limited with gm discretion.

As I mentioned above I think this goes against the accepted rubber science of the SW universe. On the other hand you should try to accommodate when possible so compromise by allowing something very similar but with a restriction built in. Use Erza's LS as the base and say okay but the Blaster bolts come out of another barrel and requires an ammo pack or has the Limited Ammo Quality. Regardless it should be a weapon specific to the PC only so consider requiring the Jury Rigged Talent.

My reasons for these requirements is to really make this a special item and the easier it is to get and use the less special the item becomes, so make the Player sacrifice a bit for it. They'll appreciate it more in the long run.

Edited by FuriousGreg

Why not just carry a six shooter? Unless you intend to dual wield two lightsabres what he wants to do seems more efficient if he just carries a pistol. For example, as two separate weapons he has more customization options open, being able to fine tune both weapons to get a different set of perks to better meet the situations when he'd be using each weapon. Combined as one he will have a limited set of HP to work with that would really only allow to customize one aspect of the weapon, leaving the other aspect a bit wanting. 

He is going for the "surprise" bonus. If it just looks like a Lightsaber hilt no one will expect anything else from it. 

Even the Ezra Hilt gives it away to some degree... but if all it looks like is a Hilt, he can claim surprise without question. 

But it is a problem of mechanics.... the two functions mechanics just will not fit into the one object.

He is going for the "surprise" bonus. If it just looks like a Lightsaber hilt no one will expect anything else from it. 

Even the Ezra Hilt gives it away to some degree... but if all it looks like is a Hilt, he can claim surprise without question. 

But it is a problem of mechanics.... the two functions mechanics just will not fit into the one object.

The problem here is that he wants to sidestep an actual Mechanic,  by incorporating the two. This, however has an easy compromise solution with just a little bending of a Talent. The Jury Rigged Talent allows you to add Damage or reduce the Advantage cost of activations etc., so it's reasonable to use it to add a Setback when trying to identify it as a Blaster.

I wrote an Esra's style lightsaber/blaster for a player.

The mod took up 3HP and I gave it an additional quality experiential which caused all attacks to have one purple dice upgraded to a red.

On a despair roll the weapon failed and would need proper repair.

However al checks on the weapon were at an additional 2 setback dice to identify it as anything but a blaster.

I could see using a Guard Shoto as a combined lightsaber/blaster.

Make one end of the Shoto the lightsaber emitter, and the other end the blaster.

When the lightsaber is not ignited, the weapon looks just like a regular tonfa, which might be a common non-lethal weapon amongst certain types of security forces.

The PC could even use Site-145 style force sensitive triggers for the lightsaber and blaster operation, so that anyone else who picks up the weapon and is not force sensitive has no way to activate either of the “surprise” modes. See page 43 of “Keeping the Peace”.

Edited by bradknowles