Sign in to follow this  
Desslok

The Spoilerrific Super Duper Episode Seven Megathread!

Left the cinema sort of shell shocked, trying to put all the parts together.

The rebel planning scene to attack Starkiller base tainted what I thought was a generally good Star Wars movie.

This video helped me reconcile my thoughts on the constant return to previous themes.

Star War Poetry

I was a bit disappointed in Leia in the original trilogy it was hinted she one day could use the force. Instead she does nothing and slides back into her role before New Hope.

• If Rey is the daughter of Luke we will need an explanation of who her mother was and why he left her on Jakku.
  • And not some throwaway line to explain it like they did with Anakin and his father for her. Now we may very well get more of the story in the upcoming movies which would be good if so.
  • If Luke put Rey into hiding, with Lor San Tekka I think, then why do so if he was already going into hiding? He could have hidden and protected her while raising her.
  • If they are siblings it would similar but different conflict to the father/son one of the OT.
  • She could have been a survivor of Kylo's turn to the Dark side, daughter or not. Hence why she has the vision of the Knights and Luke. Possibly a prodigal child brought in to Luke's school at about the time of the turn.

The Lor San Trekka connection is the biggest indicator to me that Rey *is* Luke's daughter. From the Star Wars databank:

"A legendary traveler and explorer, Lor San Tekka is a longtime ally of the New Republic and the Resistance. After the Battle of Endor, San Tekka helped Luke Skywalker recover secret Jedi lore that the Empire had tried to erase, and Leia Organa hopes the old scout can now help find her brother. Following decades of adventure, San Tekka retired to live simply on Jakku, where he follows the dictates of the once-forbidden Church of the Force. But his retirement is fated to be anything but peaceful."

If Luke and his daughter were at the new Academy when Kyla and his thugs betrayed everyone, then Luke would certainly grab his daughter when he left. At the age she was in the vision when she was left behind (4-6) she most likely would have been trained a little bit (why she "awakened" to her powers so quickly) but would have had no practical use of them for many years. 

Luke, left shaken by his failures with his nephew, would have not wanted to "lose" his daughter to what he felt (at the time) were his own failings as a teacher, and (knowing the Kylo Ren would never stop hunting him) would not want to expose her to the same danger that he himself faced. So what does he do?

He leaves her with his old friend, Lor San Trekka, who himself knows a great deal about the Jedi to raise until the time is right. This is how Rey gets to Jakku, and why Max Von Sydow's character is still embroiled in the fight of the Resistance. 

So why isn't Rey with him in the village? 

Well, Rey is shown to be a very self-reliant teen. She's on her own, and headstrong (like Luke and Anakin before her). It's highly unlikely she would have been okay with the life of a monk (which is what the compound we see in the beginning of the movie is). Rey would be called by the desire to be "out there" and doing things - just like Luke and Anakin.

Edited by Kyla

Well, Rey is shown to be a very self-reliant teen. She's on her own, and headstrong (like Luke and Anakin before her). It's highly unlikely she would have been okay with the life of a monk (which is what the compound we see in the beginning of the movie is). Rey would be called by the desire to be "out there" and doing things - just like Luke and Anakin.

We also don't know how much contact between Rey and Trekka there was. For all we know they met on a regular basis, but he was giving her space to live on her own.  Someone told her the stories about the Falcon, Jedi, etc.. Right now I assume it was Trekka when she was younger. 

My thoughts, after two viewings and not reading any comments on this thread:

The Good

1. Rey: Oh my, Rey. Couldn't have picked a more perfect character or actress. It all fit so well. She felt so thoroughly genuine and "real" to me. I was really worried about this, as it was obvious she was being angled as the key character in the series. So happy with how it worked out: like a combination of Luke + Miyazaki's Princess Nausicaa. Wonderful.

2. Rey & Finn: Actual chemistry! When they were physically affectionate, it didn't feel contrived or forced -- this is often a dead giveaway. But I found their interactions extremely charming. Finn on his own might not have carried it for me, but together, I found they really worked.
3. Poe! Total swashbuckler win. Loved his character and Isaac's portrayal.

4. The pacing: the time just whipped by. Maybe a bit *too* breakneck at points. There was barely any time to breathe! But it felt "unified" in its pace, insofar as the plot was developed. Definitely different from the originals!

5. The Jakku salvage camp: loved it! Felt like "real" Star Wars to me.

6. Chewie: Just good content from Chewie all around. Curious to know how he'll be used in future episodes.

The Bad

1. Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford's acting. Talk about phoning it in. The only really "canned" dialogue in the whole movie was uttered by them. It's too bad. (With the exception of "that's not how the Force works!", which was great.) Hoping for more from Hamill.

2. The ball-monster fight sequence in the freighter. Why was this necessary? Is it Because Star Wars and there has to be a Monster Fight in Star Wars? It was just CGI silliness.

3. NO context for Max Von Sydow's character at the start. Who is he? Why does Ren know him/care about him? No? Not even a clue?

The Ugly

1. The Superweapon: I'm completely confused about what planets got blown up. There was a bit of ranting about the Republic and then some random world gets blown up. Was it Coruscant? Did Abrams "pull a Vulcan"? And why could everyone on the other planets see those planets getting blown up? Were they in the same system? What happens to the Superweapon (or the base) when the sun is drained? Is it just an empty shell after that?

2. Atmospheric Starfighter Battles: Sorry, just felt a bit silly to me. Pulling so many quick turns right on the deck? Physics is obviously not Star Wars' strong suit, but come on.

3. Not enough aliens! I felt the movie was too "human-centered". I know that is consistent with Episode IV, but I guess I wanted a bit more cultural immersion.

4. The last camera shot -- helicopter panning shot. Seriously? Did JJ Abrams ask Michael Bay to close out his film? End it with Rey's hand extending, and Luke pulling his hood back, annnnnd....cut to credits. Don't go all 90s music video on us, Abrams.

Edited by GreyMatter

He leaves her with his old friend, Lor San Trekka, who himself knows a great deal about the Jedi to raise until the time is right. This is how Rey gets to Jakku, and why Max Von Sydow's character is still embroiled in the fight of the Resistance. 

So why isn't Rey with him in the village? 

In her vision, she is left with Unkar Plutt (you can hear him barking at her to quiet down), not Lor San Trekka. He could have been there to watch over her, but whoever did it left her in pretty terrible conditions.

I was a bit disappointed in Leia in the original trilogy it was hinted she one day could use the force. Instead she does nothing and slides back into her role before New Hope.

Yeah. I felt this also - I would love to have seen her actually progress and become a Jedi. There were some wonderful options available if both she and Luke had been "Jedi". For example, Luke could have gone dark whilst Leia went Light. How's that for Vader bringing 'balance to the Force'? Would have been great to see.

"Palpatine" is one of the seven hills of Rome.

Um, no? Palatine is (from which words like Paladin derive). Although I have to admit that I felt Snoke was a bad name, too, because it simply contains no malice and/or power.

Star Wars names regularly tread on the border of unintentional comedy, often crossing into it, right from the very beginning.

"Palpatine" is one of the seven hills of Rome. 

Mmmmh no...

the hill is "Palatine"; palpatine sound something like... well... b00b squeezing... -_-

Btw yesterday i saw the movie for second time. And i noticed...

when Rey come to the island and found Luke on top of the mountain, at the very end of the film, Luke is in front of some stones; at first thought it's looking on the horizon, then i realized there are a vertical flat stone in front of him. Like a tombstone. Maybe Rey's mother's tombstone? and who was she? Kylo Ren killed her?

Can you tell that it's been over a decade since I studied Latin? 

:P

I liked it a great deal.   I blame JJ Abrams for the bad parts but they didn't ruin the movie for me.  I feel like they leave a lot of holes for us to fans to fill in to make things work in our head canon. 

The things that bothered me in no order were:

Max Von Sidow's role - Hopefully he will be in a scene or two in the next movie that explains why he had the map key.  I'm assuming he was supposed to be Rei's foster parent but there was no connection.

The super weapon.   It was just dumb and talked about in previous posts.

The CGI monsters and Han just showing up to find the Falcon the instant it leaves Jakku.  That reeks of JJ Abrams handiwork.

The soundtrack.  I was totally not impressed with it.  I hate to say it but maybe John Williams shouldn't have done it.

"The whole we have only a small portion of the map " BUT it's the portion that shows the X!  They mentioned that it doesn't show up on any star charts but come on!  That was too big of a piece to not be able to match it up.  I grant that was for dumbified for the lowest denominator but still annoyed me.

I feel like Leia should know that Rei is Luke's Daughter, I also feel like she is indeed his daughter. Luke would have told her.  Maybe there was more of an exchange between Rei and Leia off camera to have some kind of secret left for the next movie.  They did hug and it felt a little out of place since they supposedly don't know each other.

Rei knowing about mind tricks.  I guess part of the legend was that they were supposed to be able to do that? 

I felt like the First Order actors were a bunch of Harry Potter rejects and had no charisma, unlike the actors doing Imperials in the previous movies.

Wish there were more aliens from the previous movies.

Why did R2 just switch on? More Abrams nonsense I suspect.   And if everyone thought he might have had the map why didn't they find a slicer to get into his memory?

As I said, I still liked the movie.   Harrison Ford continues to show me that despite his age he is still my favorite actor.  I don't think he phoned it in as someone else said earlier.  I'm going to miss him in the later movies.  I hope if they do a Young Han Solo movie that they find someone who can fill his shoes. Rei was awesome character.  I look forward to her being teamed up with Chewbacca.  I wish the movie was longer and we got to see more Luke.  I really liked his look.  I can't wait for episode when we don't have Abrams and I'm betting it will be much better for it.

So the novel for the Force awakens does a good part in explaining the relationship between the Resistance and the Republic and the first order.

1. The Resistance if funded by members of the Republic. The republic supports the Resistance but not officially.

2. The Republic had a fairly sizable fleet.

3. The Resistance was engaging the First Order attempting to slow down their rise of power. The Resistance lacks the manpower to outright destroy the First order. Their goal was instead to slow down the First Order's progress until the Republic could finally leverage their fleet against the first order. With the Republic fleet they would finally have the manpower to stop the First Order.

4. The First Order has supporters among Republic Member nations, particularly worlds that prospered under Imperial rule, and who would like to the the Empire come back.

4. When the Republic reformed they did not put their capital on Coruscant. They instead moved the Capital of the Republic to the Hosnian system. Whe the Hosnian system was Destroyed, the seat of Government for the Republic was also destroyed. Furthermore most of the Republic fleet was In the Hasnian system at the time of the attack and was also destroyed.

Effectively, the Republic has been destroyed, and the Resistance is left fighting the First order while horribly outgunned.

Every review I saw said something like 're-energises the franchise after the hated and dreadful prequels'.  But mostly, they weren't fully 'hated' in their day.  A lot of that seems to have come in with revisionism.

I hate that the Nerd Internet Hive Mind seems to have taken over the concept that the prequels are an abomination against god and man. Do they have their problems? Sure - but they're hardly Pol Pot's Killing Fields personified in cellulose nitrate form.

Ah well, I enjoy them - yes, even Phantom Menace - I care little for what the rest of the world thinks.

Every review I saw said something like 're-energises the franchise after the hated and dreadful prequels'.  But mostly, they weren't fully 'hated' in their day.  A lot of that seems to have come in with revisionism.

I hate that the Nerd Internet Hive Mind seems to have taken over the concept that the prequels are an abomination against god and man. Do they have their problems? Sure - but they're hardly Pol Pot's Killing Fields personified in cellulose nitrate form.

Ah well, I enjoy them - yes, even Phantom Menace - I care little for what the rest of the world thinks.

Hear hear! The main problem with the prequels as opposed to the OT was that Harrison Ford was confident enough to rewrite George Lucas' lines and tell Lucas his dialogue was trash... And that Hayden Christensen was a young, little known TV actor who said what the famous movie director told him to say.

"Sand. I hate it. It's coarse and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here, everything is soft."

How exactly are you supposed to work with that? I can almost see the filming of the final scene of RotS. Something like this, I imagine:

Hayden Christensen (grief stricken): "No..." hands clench

Lucas: "Stop stop stop... He's just lost the love of his life, make the 'No' much longer to show how much you loved her".

Hayden Christensen: "Noooooo?"

Lucas: "Move love. MORE!"

Hayden Christensen: "Noooooooooooo..."

Lucas: "Come on - she was carrying your baby, keep it going, you can do it..."

Hayden Christensen "...ooooooo"

Lucas: "Almost there, baby. Come on..."

Hayden Christensen: "oooooooo!" *gasps and pants*

Lucas: "Fantastic. That's some serious emoting. Now do it again but with your arms out and your head back. We want the audience to really know how much you loved her..."

Edited by knasserII

I saw this movie on Sunday and ever since all i've ben trying to do is go back and see it again. 

SPOILERS

SPIOLERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

Some things I really liked:

• I loved BB8, hand down one of the best droid in the SW universe, he's like R2-D2's nephew.
  • I love that Stormtroopers are badasses now.
  • God this ,ovie was funny, Rey &Finn, Solo and Chewie, BB8.
  • Kyloe Ren as the unhinged fan boy of Darth Vader
  • How they brought in the Milennium Falcon.
  • Loved that Chewie was a badass, that Bowcaster is going down in SW hall of fame!
  • The way Han Solo's death was done, really stuuning interction between him and his son Kylo Ren.
  • The score done by John Williams.

A few things I didn't like or quite understand.

• Why another Death globe of doom weapon? Why do the bad guys never learn?
  • R2-D2 conveniently has the info all along at the end.
  • Where the hell did they find Anakin/Luke's Lightsaber after it fell into the depth of the Bespin gas Giant?

Now for some of my own personel theories regarding the new movie.

• I'm convinced Rey is Luke's daughter. That's why she was able to attune to the force so quickly.
  • Supreme leader Snook is in fact Darth Peagus (Sorry if i've spelt this wrong)

I really need to see this movie again and again and again becuase I know i've missed so much. But I'm interested what you all think?

P.S

Stop making comparisons to the original three, Yes, there were some similarities, well it would, it had Luke Leia and Han Solo in it!!!

Aslong as the next movie is not like ESB I can live with the similarities, at least jar Jar wasn't in this one.)

Hey, Maul lived after being cut in half, so maybe Solo lived too... (and escaped the exploding planet-gun-station). We'll see it on the next SW cartoon series.

Well, given how long Harrison Ford has been wanting to kill Han Solo...

Yeah, don't hold your breath for Han making a miraculous recovery any time soon.

Personally as someone who ranks the PT above the OT, and the Clone Wars series above either, I rank TFA between the PT and OT. 

I wholeheartedly agree that it was a rehash of the OT, as someone said in traditional Abrams fashion it was a "requel". And that's why I can rank it higher than the OT. It was basically an OT I don't fall asleep during. The ships actually maneuver rather than lazily floating around, basically the effects used (both CG and practical) are finally up to par with what you'd imagine in your mind. 

That said there were a lot of rather glaring flaws that kept me from loving it (rather than merely liking it). Phasma's character being largely useless (which I don't know if that was on purpose as a mirror to Fett or just poor writing), Ren being a badass in the opener and then becoming a whiny child (not that I wanted him to stay a badass, he has to grow along side Rey, but that big of a jump is just too much. I loved the tantrums the first time around though.) Seriously no one but BB-8 thought it was a worthwhile idea to look in R2's memory for a map of his owner over the last almost 30 years? (Assuming he spent a few years before hiding) The hyperspace capable planet able to fire lasers that were also hyperspace capable (like, REALLY hyperspace capable). Poe's utter domination at piloting, he really was a 1 man squadron. (This one is probably just Imperial bias talking). Relatedly, the entire Resistance fleet being a handful of Xwings? That's not a Resistance. That's one wealthy financier that managed to buy a couple Humvees. Or the fact that there's a Resistance at all instead of the New Republic. The blatant obviousness that Han was going to die (even for people like me who didn't know Ford wanted his character to die). And the overall extremely rushed ending that tried to cram a whole second movie's worth of plot into a 10 minute block. The whole movie was too fast and spent too little time on what was happening but until the ending it was bearably so. Like a quote said from earlier in the thread, Abrams' pace was so fast it didn't allow you time to realize all the bad writing that was involved. 

It's a fun action flick, but it's not a movie to ponder about and such. I'm basically hoping it'll be a good starting point for much more amazing movies after it, if only because it left a metric ton of questions to answer. I'm sitting around a 7.5/10, .5 of that being the hope that future movies can make use of it well.

My critic in short: this is by far the most chicken-hearted movie I have ever seen. Yes, we know, this is  the biggest "movie ever" and it has to suceed. That's all it was. Just pure fan-Service with no substance behind it.

So, I have only seen it once, and I have to see it again...well because I'm optimistic.  I waded through the Topic and there were a few comments I have to comment.

Well... It is not supposed to go over 30 years of history. The Aftermath novels seem like the thing you are looking for.

Aftermath has awful reviews. I don't think I can bring myself to read it.

I forced myself to read it, if it weren't for the fact that it was the first star wars book of the new Canon I got I would've never finished it. which would've been the first time I stopped in the middle of a book. worst book written I ever read. for me, find a teaser chapter and try it, if it doesn't bother you read it. Story itself is good, characters are interesting and entertaining, but it also does almost nothing to prepare you for TFA.

I wanted to see a continuation of the saga, and I didn't feel it was.

This. The movie was just a complete show of cowardice. The EA-game of movies. Great visuals, fun, engaging, but just once because it has no depth, but if everyone buys it once, don't worry, we'll make a new one next year. And that is by far the worst part of the movie. the blatant show of moneygrabbing. Everything in this movie was "no risk".

Please remember, that Star Wars (before it was called A New Hope) came out at a time when Sci-Fi was DEAD. Abso-effing-lutely dead in the movie-world. This movie is the complete opposite of boldness, but that's Disney.

Disclaimer: I've only seen it once.

I liked it.

It is well directed. It is well acted.

I find the story slightly patchy. It is missing something "Star Warsy." This brings up what "Star Wars" means (which is different to different people.) And to me this film was lacking something "Star Wars." I guess it was missing George Lucas - although don't get me wrong, I'm glad he didn't direct it, but it is clear it is not his universe or story anymore, something defining of the galaxy is now gone. Some magic is lost, replaced with grimy costumes, good acting, good directing, good lines and less mystery and magic.

The film was too fast. Too cram packed with references, action and goings on, but lacking in motivations, reasons, logic, dialogue and reflection... these seemed to be less important than shooting, flying, bombing, running... don't get me wrong, it's not like the PT or OT aren't full of small issues like these, but it these at least tried to cover up the most glaring and obvious ones... Guardian sort of sums it all up pretty nicely I think. I think the film seems rushed, not half-hearted, but definitely not as toned, defined and neat as it could've been.

Also, it was basing itself on Star Wars, whereas Star Wars was based on/inspired by older films, tv-shows, genres and archetypes, this is missing from TFA. For all his (and the PT's) flaws, Lucas tried to make his films in his vision, telling a story in a certain way, not being self-referential to the extent that TFA is a big reference fest to the OT. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it seems a bit cheap and hastily done in this case (as has been pointed out above, there is constant mirroring going on in the Saga, but I don't think this is mirroring). Of course, that is not to say the film is bad, not by a long shot - it is obviously a better film than any of the films in the PT - but it felt less Star Wars to me.

My main gripe, the thing the threw me out of the ongoing immersion was the Starkiller firing at the Hosnian system destroying those planets (and moons?). This beam could apparently be seen anywhere in the galaxy, as with the destruction of those planets, we could see those explosions on a entirely different planet ... was all this happening in the same solar system? same neighbourhood? From what I understand these three places, Hosnian system, Starkiller base and Maz' base were all in quite different locations, not that close to each other ... the galaxy suddenly seems very small, almost impossibly so... hyperspacing anywhere happens in seconds... this will of course be explained, somewhere, somehow at some point, but it broke with my impressions of the earlier films, both PT and OT. I know distance and travel time is speed of plot, but in this case it felt ... well, a bit silly. After the Starkiller incident, it was really hard and difficult to get into it again.

EDIT: Oh and I was only moved by the musical themes referencing the older films... beyond that the music wasn't disruptive, but it seemed bland and boring. Looking forward to the soundtrack so I can get it on my mp3-player.

EDIT 2: I also maintain the right to change my opinion at any point in the future.

This is basically my opinion. We should get a beer unknown Internet Person.

I found this review that was more articulate with what I'm feeling about TFA:

The Force Awakens is completely and totally a JJ Abrams movie, with all that entails, good and bad. Abrams is, for me, a frustrating filmmaker because he has an eye that is strong, a knack for casting that might be unparalleled and an ability to pace his movies at a rate that sweeps you along faster than you can notice the narrative chasms that he’s leaping. All of these elements are on display in The Force Awakens, a movie that shamelessly panders to nostalgia while also charting an extraordinary future for the franchise, a movie that is great fun but whose sequences are held together by outrageous coincidence or through a complete disregard for narrative connective tissue. The film it most resembles, in the largest sense, is 2009’s Star Trek, a film with a killer cast having a great time in the middle of a stumbling, sometimes moronic story. Like Star Trek 2009, The Force Awakens exists best in the moment when you’re watching it, and is not well served by any sort of deep thought or analysis or consideration.

Yes, Yes, Yes and a hundred times yes.

So the novel for the Force awakens does a good part in explaining the relationship between the Resistance and the Republic and the first order.

1. The Resistance if funded by members of the Republic. The republic supports the Resistance but not officially.

2. The Republic had a fairly sizable fleet.

3. The Resistance was engaging the First Order attempting to slow down their rise of power. The Resistance lacks the manpower to outright destroy the First order. Their goal was instead to slow down the First Order's progress until the Republic could finally leverage their fleet against the first order. With the Republic fleet they would finally have the manpower to stop the First Order.

4. The First Order has supporters among Republic Member nations, particularly worlds that prospered under Imperial rule, and who would like to the the Empire come back.

4. When the Republic reformed they did not put their capital on Coruscant. They instead moved the Capital of the Republic to the Hosnian system. Whe the Hosnian system was Destroyed, the seat of Government for the Republic was also destroyed. Furthermore most of the Republic fleet was In the Hasnian system at the time of the attack and was also destroyed.

Effectively, the Republic has been destroyed, and the Resistance is left fighting the First order while horribly outgunned.

If this is all true then that makes the movies much, much worse. Because that is vital Information to the plot.

Now for the real rant:

My biggest grief: the lightsaber fight.

The blade of the lightsaber has no weight. It is made of light. Why, the FFFFFF-antom Menace would you swing it around for momentum like a broadsword?

- It wasn't a lightsaber fight. Even with form 5 that relies on strengthfull attacks and physical prowess the way they fought completely killed the star wars feeling for me. It is not a broad sword ffs. It's a LIGHTSABER. RAAAAAAAARGGH. The stabbing also kinda makes sense, but it is not something you do when you hold a sword for the first time.

- The Kylo sword still makes no sense. They needed a new gimmicky cool sword to sell to children and then had to justfiy it in the movie with the shoulder burning scene. I literally LOL'd in the cinema because it was so stupid.

- I'm sorry, but even with a whole in his stomach that apparently didn't bother him at all, so I'll asume he was kinda armored, Finn at least shouldn't pose any problem. Unless new Stormtroopers get *****-ass, bad-ass grade melee training, but still. Also, the Scene could've gone exactly the same way, just with a different choreography, just play with Finn, tease him, hunt him around for a bit, but come on.

- How the hell does the Tonfa Stormtrooper recognize him instantly as traitor and get really furious about it? (awaiting final verdict after second viewing.) Also, stupidest cool weapon ever. Why not shoot him? That is what you do with traitors. Shoot on sight.

- Captain Phasma was by far the most valuable asset for the resistance. Great loyalty, yeah, sure, let me just help you doom the new superweapon we built with all my comrades on it. I agree with some Posters in this thread, she should've fought Finn.

- Deathstar 3.0 that instead of being automonous burns it's own sun. Very smart design. Let's just asume they built it within...let's say 10 years or so okay? Because they don't have the ressources of the full empire anymore and they completely redesigned a whole planet because that's clearly no small moon. For a few shots. Then it is mostly dead without it's sun. And if all that was just to make that one final strike against the republic then FOR **** SAKE TELL ME IN THE MOVIE WHICH PLANET YOU BLOW UP. I heard several groups of people argue about that on the way out of the Cinema. Honestly, the theory I heard most was "that was Naboo".

- Deathstar 3.0 that looks stupid. Personal opinion, but, still.

- The universe is a very small place, because you can see PLANETS blow up. not STARS, individual planets! Have you ever seen Jupiter in the nightsky? A planet that is so big it almost became a sun and you still need somebody who knows their astronomy well to find it.

- That last shot. I imagine Jar Jar  Abrahams to think, and yes, lets pan that Scene, circle the camera so everybody will have time to completely loose their **** because what we hinted the entire movie happened.

- Also, That is an actual EA- Assassin Creed Style ending that's no ending. The only Star Wars movie that came Close to not having an ending was EP 5, but even that is arguably more of an ending to a movie. They are movies, not a TV Show. They need to make some sort of sense on their own.

- The Map. That maps Looks like the Map of the entire galaxy, and they couldn't figure out what part was missing... As the Star Wars nerd I am i can find reasons for this (Hyperspace Routes), but in the movie it just seemed reeeeally stupid.

- Resistance? REpublic? I have no friggin clue what's going on in the universe. I had to steady my breathing when I read/heard that the academy is Canon, but aside from that...no clue. Also, the first order has almost no ships.

- Nazi Scene. I come from a Country where my grandparents' generation was killers as well as killed during the nazi regime. That was very unnecessary. The Empire is already established as evil enough (but being a nazi is obviously more evil than destroying a planet), we don't need a speech with flags waving in the Background. And that Fist gesture made some People in the Cinema scream "Hail Hydra". I didn't scream it, but I thought it as well.

- Snork? Really? Hunger Games reference?

- Hologram Voldemort. I don't care about him, his Aura didn't affect me nearly the same way as when I first saw the empire in ep. 5. (fun fact for those still reading, that actor was a makeup artists wife with voice over)

I did not get this from the movie at all, I sort of assumed.  I just figured they dealt a significant blow to the Republic, but wiped them out completely?  So essentially for EP VIII we are back where ANH started: evil Empire (First Order) effectively rules the galaxy and the Rebel Alliance (Resistance) fights against them.  Ugh.  Enough with the rehashing the OT.

I did not get this from the movie at all, I sort of assumed.  I just figured they dealt a significant blow to the Republic, but wiped them out completely?  So essentially for EP VIII we are back where ANH started: evil Empire (First Order) effectively rules the galaxy and the Rebel Alliance (Resistance) fights against them.  Ugh.  Enough with the rehashing the OT.

From what I understand they took out the Senate and a large part of the Republic Fleet. Which like you said is devastating, but they are not out of the fight.  I see that the Resistance will be folded back into whats left of the Republic Military. With most of the Republic Worlds rallying behind what is left of the Republic Leadership both Civilian and Military. All while the First Order is starting its advance across the Galaxy. 

This would be more like rehashing the Clone Wars than the OT.