Sign in to follow this  
Desslok

The Spoilerrific Super Duper Episode Seven Megathread!

Money on even the cook and pet dog getting an new-EU novel. And each of them will be legendary in some way...their abilities, what they did, what they were involved in.  :rolleyes:

Gah! And the species they represent will all be famously known for being proficient at whatever their characters did. Even the one with the steel peg-leg will be from a species famous for their primitive prosthetics. I can see it now. :(

I don't think Disney cares about that either.

I guarantee they don't.

Which is the whole point.  It's a board for discussion.  Nobody cares what Disney thinks, yet you felt it was a very important consideration when others didn't agree with you.  

Now that you'd like to participate and give your thoughts, suddenly it means a whole lot less.

Thanks for playing.

So

The whole blow up the Death Star sequence I find pretty dull. If you like it, then its re-do in TFA may be thrilling. If you don't, it's repetitious and just a weight that drags things down further.

Conversely, I really liked the ANH trench run...that being said though, liking it in one movie doesn't mean I want to see it again in another one (much like the Death Star...and the DS2...and Starkiller Base...).  That was one of the points where I really felt spoon fed in TFA and it really pulled me right out of a battle scene I was otherwise enjoying.  Each of those scenes felt like the message was, "We had time to fill, but rather than come up with some new aspect of the galaxy to show you, we'd rather just replay a scene that we know the fans will love because it's already a scene and they already love it."

At risk of sounding like someone's mom, "I wasn't angry, I was just disappointed."

Probably while bellowing "la-la-la-can't-hear-you!" with his fingers in his ears.

...says the user who puts anyone who disagrees with them in their Ignore list... :P

Nope, just internet trolls like you and ErikB that keep spouting the same tired crap over and over while totally ignoring any attempts to actually engage them in a constructive discussion.

I've read enough of the posts in this thread from people that actually tried to engage you in a discussion, for you to just keep falling back to same tired and re-hashed complaints over and over.

knasserii at least is open-minded enough that a civil discussion can be expected.  You on the other hand, aren't.

So not only can you not abide any disagreement with your own views, but you also lie about putting users on your ignore list?

Bluntly, I don't care what you think of me...the people that actually engaged in some back & forth with me seemed mature enough for it.

I guess you can post some sick memes though, so you're clearly the authority that everyone should follow.

Personal attacks don't really help.

Desslok,

Which is hilarious because by his own definition, Lucas himself did a "remake" of the Original Trilogy when making the Prequels, as all he really changed were the names, as the overall plot of the prequels was pretty much the same as the originals, with the solitary difference of the bad guys ultimately winning because they had to for the sake of the story of the original films.  I know there's been talk of "ring theory" in regards to the originals and the prequels, but I think that's giving older Lucas too much credit; younger Lucas (at the time he made the originals) might have been the sort of director to come up with something like that, but probably not older Lucas.

The Force Awakens did much the same as Lucas claims he did, changing planet names and the major powers and the ship aesthetics, but also giving us new heroes that mixed and matched elements of the original heroes.  Each of the new power trio have elements of Han, Luke, and Leia mixed among them.

Poe = Han's cockiness and awesome piloting skills (which is also a touch of Luke), but with Leia's devotion to duty.

Finn = Luke's general idealism, but Han's "not my problem attitude" that the smuggler carried until RotJ.

Rey = Luke's "raised on a desert planet" and Force-sensitivity, but Leia's generally feisty nature and assertiveness and Han's aptitude for coming up with solutions under pressure (maybe not always good solutions, but solutions none the less) with a touch of Han's "not my problem" given her insistence in much of the film to get back to Jakku.

Of course, the original trilogy's power trio were themselves based off archetypes, so not a whole lot of originality there, with Luke literally being the textbook example of the Hero, to the point that textbooks actually use his image when discussing the Hero archetype.

hydrospanner,

Fun little feature about Ignore that you obviously don't know about is that I can still choose to look at your posts if I wish.  Comes in handy when somebody thinks that just because they're on a person's ignore list, that gives them free reign to violate the Code of Conduct and start openly hurling insults under the belief that said insults won't be seen and thus not reported to the moderators.

But thanks all the same for proving that adding you to my Ignore list was the right decision.

I think it's important to keep in mind the business and media in general.  During the OT, the only real outlet for content and pushing the IP forward was movies, so it stands to reason you'd front load that content into the films.  These days of course Disney has access to far more media delivery pipes, whether it's crafted trailers, e books, video games, or Netflix, they have more options.  Probably an idea why we aren't handed every single detail in the first movie, as with this film they were primarily looking to pay homage, and also set that hook into new fans with a proven base they mined from the OT. 

I think it's important to keep in mind the business and media in general.  During the OT, the only real outlet for content and pushing the IP forward was movies, so it stands to reason you'd front load that content into the films.  These days of course Disney has access to far more media delivery pipes, whether it's crafted trailers, e books, video games, or Netflix, they have more options.  Probably an idea why we aren't handed every single detail in the first movie, as with this film they were primarily looking to pay homage, and also set that hook into new fans with a proven base they mined from the OT. 

True.

Plus, Disney was fairly confident that they'd have a viable franchise on their hands from the outset, at least in fiscal terms.  As far as Lucas knew when making the original trilogy, the films would largely be it, especially the first one which was largely self-contained on what he felt was a very good chance that film wouldn't be successful enough to get 20th Century Fox to greenlight the rest of the series.  He probably never figured that the Star Wars fandom would grow into what it's become, especially as the Expanded Universe didn't kick off until some years after Return of the Jedi had been released.  There were a few scattered novels, but it was the Thrawn Trilogy that proved Star Wars without movies was still marketable.

Disney has a flow chart somewhere, full of all manner of interesting titles, ideas, dates, etc.  People should be excited and thrilled the new film is out, the flood gates are open and it is going to be a Star Wars bonanza.

The only thing funnier than the nerdrage of those that liked TFA with those that don't for whatever reasons is the nerdrage of those that do not, for whatever reasons, and the camaraderie they get when they find someone else that doesn't as well. I like Shakespeare. I don't like it when its over analyzed. I like Star Wars. I don't over analyze it.

I think a pretty apt description of any of the Star Wars movies is that each one is a very pretty soap bubble that bursts upon a deeper examination  Even if the statement was applied more directly to TFA, it applies equally well to all seven films.  The all fall apart quite easily if you stop to really examine them.

But since Abrams has a sizeable hatedom, he gets crapped on for making an homage film while Lucas gets a free pass.  Nerds, go figure :rolleyes:

My opinion of TFA isn't based on Abrams hate. Truth be told, I like Abrams. I even liked his Star Trek movies. The problem for me though is that the bubble that is TFA pops far too easily. It looks too much like ANH. So much so that it detracts from the TFA experience as a whole for some of us. It relies too heavily on homage. 

That isn't to say that it's a bad film. It is aesthetically better film than many movies. On pure aesthetics alone I'd rank it above the PT. However unlike the PT I also have no desire to rewatch TFA in the theatres. TFA recycles to much. So much so that I don't feel like I need a second viewing. It's new elements don't excite in the same way that the PT elements were exciting (say what you will about the acting but the battles themselves were a lot more fun). And most of the details that I would want from a second viewing to better appreciate the movie aren't in the movie but are in non movie material. 

The movie just didn't excel. Not for me. And it's not because I like to hate on something to be cool. I'm at an age where hating on stuff to be cool isn't appealing. And it's not because of Abrams hate, because I actually like the director. It's not because I'm nerdraging (though I am amused by the derogatory way people seem to use nerd in this conversation). It's because the movie just didn't do anything for me, and no matter how many times people shout it, I'm just not buying that it's as good as people insist. 

I am going to side with the disapointed people. This movie wasn't what I expected. In fact the fanboy in me wanted more than a reboot of ANH. Maybe I was asking too much, but I feel reassured to read opinions from others that think like me in this thread. I am still going to go see the next épisodes out of curiosity to see if they can do better. I hope that in 10 years, when I will look  at the overall trilogy, Its awsomeness will make me forget all the details I didn't like in Force awaken but for now I consider it a bad start for the new trilogy.

Disney has a flow chart somewhere, full of all manner of interesting titles, ideas, dates, etc.  People should be excited and thrilled the new film is out, the flood gates are open and it is going to be a Star Wars bonanza.

More mediocre is just more mediocre.  I'd be exited and thrilled if it was more good.

More mediocre is just more mediocre.  I'd be exited and thrilled if it was more good.

So, are you going to 8 and 9 or no?

Very likely not.  They might be "check out when they're a dollar to rent on a slow weekend" fare, just to see if they're any better.

I didn't see AotC or RotS in the theater after watching PM, either.

Edited by MaxKilljoy

Very likely not.  They might be "check out when they're a dollar to rent on a slow weekend" fare, just to see if they're any better.

I'm going to see them.

I'm going to see them.

I don't begrudge you that at all -- it's not like this is an entirely objective thing, and if you liked 7, you liked it. 

I'm going to see them.

I don't begrudge you that at all -- it's not like this is an entirely objective thing, and if you liked 7, you liked it. 

I feel bad for you and the others that Star Wars is ruined for you.

It's not like all things Star Wars are dead to me... I just don't like what they've done with the movies since the original trilogy.

It's not like all things Star Wars are dead to me... I just don't like what they've done with the movies since the original trilogy.

Well, the speed bump in the middle we agree on then.

So I finally saw it. Enjoyed it.

All the main characters where great, I felt like they had personality.

Odd super weapon, but if it can eat an entire star in 15-20min then it's probably able to hyper jump. Didn't like the splitting of the shot to different planets, and agree that it should have taken out the star, that would be more likely visible from another solar system.

Why was Finn so crap at searching a crash site? Plot I guess.

Freezing that blaster bolt was scary as hell, the way Ren carried himself was scary, then he goes all pubescent Anakin when he isn't sure of himself. Bit annoying but sets up well for some tough decisions later in his life. I wonder if it will be his inability to kill Leia or Rey that will turn him back to the Light side to kill Snorkel...

The cantina was great, it felt very real, I'm actually looking forward to seeing that in 3D when I go back.

Enjoyed the interaction between Rey and Han onboard the Falcon, was a good setup for the end of the movie and the handing over of the reins.

Why did they screw up R2-D2 so much. Like WTF "R2 has been on low power mode since Luke left" then suddenly for no given reason it wakes up!

That big 30 year gap seems ripe for an animated series IMHO to flesh out the different factions and power brokers.

Overall though 2 thumbs up. Bring on the next 4 years of this.

Edit: That sound of the Tie Fighters approaching the town and the look on Finns face gave me goosebumps! You could see that instantly he knew exactly what that meant, and he was scared.

Edited by Richardbuxton

Edit: That sound of the Tie Fighters approaching the town and the look on Finns face gave me goosebumps! You could see that instantly he knew exactly what that meant, and he was scared.

My wife said the same thing after we left the theater. "The sound those TIE fighters made was terrifying." It's real cool to see the villains of the movies are terrifying again.

What's with comments like this? Is people saying they found the films disappointing not sufficiently extreme enough to be mocked and so strawman positions must be invented? Find one person in this thread who said anything remotely like "Star Wars is ruined for me". Do you not realize that sarcastic attacks like that are unpleasant and move this thread ever closer to being locked?

Edited by knasserII

At this point, locking the thread would be a good thing.

Any real discussions have pretty much been drowned out by the back-and-forth petty bickering on both sides of the fence.  If anything, 2P51 has been the most reasonable poster in this entire thread.  The haters want to hate the film because it didn't live up to their expectations, and the folks that loved the film love it warts and all.  Like most of the extremely screwed-up Star Wars fandom, there's not much middle ground.  To paraphrase Dunc of the Club Jade fansite, it's a wonder the Star Wars fandom hasn't completely imploded already.

For some, the fact this film wasn't highly polished is very much part of the charm; Lucas gave us a highly-polished Star Wars trilogy that added all sorts of background nuance, and yet the prequels are among the least-liked films of the franchise.  There sure as heck wasn't a lot of polish or background explanations of setting details in the original trilogy (just enough to window dress the plot really), and perhaps that's why they still have their charm after all these years.  A similar comparison could be made for Van Halen, with the David Lee Roth era being far more fondly remembered and enjoyed because it wasn't as polished or refined as the Sammy Hagar era was.

A similar comparison could be made for Van Halen, with the David Lee Roth era being far more fondly remembered and enjoyed because it wasn't as polished or refined as the Sammy Hagar era was.

Van Halen comparison to Star Wars for the win! :)

....then let this thread die please.

ETA: Good point Knass. Let the BICKERING die please. 

Edited by Sturn

At this point, locking the thread would be a good thing.

Any real discussions have pretty much been drowned out by the back-and-forth petty bickering on both sides of the fence.  If anything, 2P51 has been the most reasonable poster in this entire thread.  The haters want to hate the film because it didn't live up to their expectations, and the folks that loved the film love it warts and all.  Like most of the extremely screwed-up Star Wars fandom, there's not much middle ground.

There's an irony in calling for the thread to be closed in the same paragraph you dismiss any critics as "haters" who just want to hate the film. That's neither accurate nor conducive to civil discussion. You say you want the thread locked and help provide ammo to do so with incendiary statements like that (amongst all your previous). You can't distance yourself from the fact that you are one of the primary culprits of what you now call "petty bickering". You seem to want to have the thread locked. A better alternative, if it no longer has value for you, would logically be to just leave the thread as it still has value for others. People want to discuss the film. There are still those who haven't seen it. There needs to be a thread for that and this one contains the history of everyone's reviews so far. So let's NOT call for the thread to be locked and instead, if it's not of interest, just let alone for those for whom it is. It doesn't cost you anything to do so.