Sign in to follow this  
DiabloAzul

The Force Awakens [SPOILER WARNING!]

Saying Rey is an offspring of any of the three characters is problematic. Leia/Han would have recognized her if they had a daughter (though Han may have forgotten, Leia wouldn't have). If you think it's Luke, then the immediate question is "who was Mom?" because immaculate force conception would work only on, well, a woman.

But the above kind of flies in the face of destiny trying really hard to get Rey to accept Anakin's lightsaber. For that kind of setup one would figure that she's part of the Skywalker legacy... or is she? One theme of this trilogy could be that greatness is not passed on by blood. Kylo is hellbent on assuming the mantle of his grandfather, but our protagonists are standing in his way.

it could be Mara Jade.  in the scene where Rey finds Luke, there appears to be a grave marker that Luke is standing next to.  could it be of his deceased wife?  If Mara (a powerful Force user) was indeed Rey's mother, this could explain Rey's natural strength in the Force and why she was able to resist Ren's interrogation with no training.   this is, of course, just theory and speculation.

Mara is one again canon because Disney has reprinted the Thrawn trilogy with the Disney logo on the backs of the books.  I am fearful of my theory because that would mean Mara is dead, but is established to be a character in the movies.

Edited by Jester006

Cant agree more. They needed to hook people with at least one non-force sensitive superhero. I like space fights, dogfighting, but this to me looked overdone. Is this new model more manouverable, maybe, Still.

I think the biggest part of my problem is that I know what I'm seeing pretty clearly. I'm not, by any stretch, a casual fan. So while it looks so overdone, to many people who have no idea who those pilots are that I named, or what is reasonable to expect with dogfighting it might just look cool. It might be overdone on purpose to be plainly obvious to everyone.

Obviously that is the right call for them to make regarding the film, they shouldn't only write it for me to enjoy.

But it just sticks a little. I think I'll try to get over myself and just enjoy what a psycho hosebeast Poe is in the cockpit.

Saying Rey is an offspring of any of the three characters is problematic. Leia/Han would have recognized her if they had a daughter (though Han may have forgotten, Leia wouldn't have). If you think it's Luke, then the immediate question is "who was Mom?" because immaculate force conception would work only on, well, a woman.

But the above kind of flies in the face of destiny trying really hard to get Rey to accept Anakin's lightsaber. For that kind of setup one would figure that she's part of the Skywalker legacy... or is she? One theme of this trilogy could be that greatness is not passed on by blood. Kylo is hellbent on assuming the mantle of his grandfather, but our protagonists are standing in his way.

it could be Mara Jade. in the scene where Rey find's Luke, there appears to be a grave marker that Luke is standing next to. could it be of his deceased wife? If Mara (a powerful Force user) was indeed Rey's mother, this could explain Rey's natural strength in the Force and why she was able to resist Ren's interrogation with no training.

Mara is one again canon because Disney has reprinted the Thrawn trilogy with the Disney logo on the backs of the books. I am fearful of my theory because that would mean Mara is dead, but is established to be a character in the movies.

All of the (now Legends) books are being reprinted by Disney. They are not Canon. If the new printing you alluded to has the "Legends" banner across the top of the front cover, then that's where it falls.

Besides, Armada packaging has the Disney logo, Armada isn't canon.

But yeah, we all want Mara Jade.

Edited by DerErlkoenig

All of the (now Legends) books are being reprinted by Disney. They are not Canon. If the new printing you alluded to has the "Legends" banner across the top of the front cover, then that's where it falls.

Besides, Armada packaging has the Disney logo, Armada isn't canon.

But yeah, we all want Mara Jade.

ahh, crap.  that sucks.  kind of a messed up thing for the owning company to put their logo on it, do the reprints of books that are widely popular that were HUGE additions to plot, characters and story then turn around and not sanction it.

I can understand stuff in games not being canon because there's little to no detail to go off of.  but books are a different matter in my opinion.

Edited by Jester006

They had to clear it out so they could write their own story.

I'm ok with it because there is still plenty of good Legends stuff to enjoy. No amount of canon, or false canon will make me stop loving Stackpole's X Wing books.

Plus the books were of dubious canon anyway, Lucas bulldozed quite a bit of established lore for the prequels.

Besides, I would count on seeing the more popular characters come back into canon anyway. There's no reason not to write Thrawn back into the universe, with changes to match the new canon. Same goes for other hugely significant EU presences like Boba Fett, and likely Corran Horn.

They had to clear it out so they could write their own story.

yeah, I can understand that.  I wasn't mad that Han and Leia didn't have 3 children in the TFA.  sure its a big deviation from the EU, but the story has its narrative hooks.   I am definitely hoping for the Knights of Ren to make a HUGE impact in the next movie.

changing of names doesn't bother me; lets face it, Kylo Ren is essentially Jacen.  If Luke had a wife, she doesn't need to be named Mara; as long as she was a Force user/Jedi, that's good enough for me (still Mara in my heart).

Edited by Jester006

it could be Mara Jade.  in the scene where Rey finds Luke, there appears to be a grave marker that Luke is standing next to.  could it be of his deceased wife?  If Mara (a powerful Force user) was indeed Rey's mother, this could explain Rey's natural strength in the Force and why she was able to resist Ren's interrogation with no training.   this is, of course, just theory and speculation.

Mara is one again canon because Disney has reprinted the Thrawn trilogy with the Disney logo on the backs of the books.  I am fearful of my theory because that would mean Mara is dead, but is established to be a character in the movies.

With "everything" we knew "canon" now gone anything could be anything or anyone. Luke does not have to have married anyone, he could have been celibate like his Jedi heroes (maybe even knowing that Anakin's turn to the dark side was over a wife). It depends on what Kasdan and Abrams want to do... they obviously have a treatment of where they want Rey to go that could change when they start to make 8.

Still, I hope the answer is a satisfying one. Somehow I don't feel an answer along the lines of, "She's a girl clone of Luke that Snoke tried to make but was abandoned by the huntsman in the space woods" would be a satisfying.

I am a casual fan, I have read a few (but not many) of the books that are now not canon. I think that she could be Luke's as he does not say anything. So tell the next one we do not know, as for if she is who his wife is it could be like in 4, 5, and 6 we never got the name of who Lukes mother was.

rant

Holy **** you guys, not everyone has to be related and have intertwined backstories.

this is why there are so many crap EU things out there, this is how we got these abominations:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Anakinyoung.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBKKQDj6vChc5gIcHRPXiPtVeoStKmZy-bTivQ8S7YVDAuSUzo

You guys really need to knock it off with your giant need of having the entire galaxy have only 2 or 3 families that produce characters that matter in the movies. we don't need to know who finn's parents where before he was abducted and trained as a baby, we don't need rey to be related to skywalker beyond both growing up on a desert planet seemingly abandoned by their parents who went to space.

get your incestuous backstory heads out of your asses, PLEASE.

/rant

movie was awesome and good, but the need for people to say rey is lukes daughter based on nothing but force ability and a vision involving the lightsaber, kylo ren and lukes past and her own abandonement is silly and how we got the sh*tty prequels.

Edited by Geressen

movie was awesome and good, but the need for people to say rey is lukes daughter based on nothing but force ability and a vision involving the lightsaber, kylo ren and lukes past and her own abandonement is silly and how we got the sh*tty prequels.

Incestuous backstory? Have you read the EU or do you not know the definition of incest? if you don't agree with using the EU, then just say so.

Also, people aren't just using the lightsaber to support theories of how Rey is Luke's daughter. Remember the scene where Ren interrogated Rey? He saw her memories of an ocean and an island. Now fast forward to the scene where Rey finds Luke; it was on planet that was vastly cover in oceans and Luke was on an island...

Again, this is all just speculation and fun. If you disagree, you can state your objections without being an asshat.

Edited by Jester006

Yeah, it's not a matter of need. It's a matter of seeing the rather obvious intent of the writers. My wife is a casual fan and she walked out thinking the same thing. Rey is very clearly a Skywalker and I would argue Luke's daughter. She might be a Solo, but I think the evidence for that is a little weaker. She is, however, a descendant of Anakin Skywalker. That is almost guaranteed. It has nothing to do with wanting it.

Also, please check your tone. There is no need to insult everyone here. One thing I like about this board is we stay mostly civil.

Edit: Ninja'd

Edited by Truthiness

rant

Holy **** you guys, not everyone has to be related and have intertwined backstories.

this is why there are so many crap EU things out there, this is how we got these abominations:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBKKQDj6vChc5gIcHRPXiPtVeoStKmZy-bTivQ8S7YVDAuSUzo

You guys really need to knock it off with your giant need of having the entire galaxy have only 2 or 3 families that produce characters that matter in the movies. we don't need to know who finn's parents where before he was abducted and trained as a baby, we don't need rey to be related to skywalker beyond both growing up on a desert planet seemingly abandoned by their parents who went to space.

/rant

I agree that there is no need to relate to any known person, absolutely.

But since you dont want repetition...the whole movie is one big repetition, unfortuantely. I couldnt believe when they again managed to blow up a superweapon 30 seconds before it fires, with X-Wings and internal sabotage by a two or three man team. And being able to suck in a whole sun...boy, thats even hard for a SciFi movie to take. They seemed desperate to make it even more awesome than the twice failed concept already.

you can state your objections without being an asshat.

No I CAN'T, It is a very serious issue! 

Also I wrote incestuous because everyone is related to skywalkers and all the backstories intertwine so the skywalker family tree is obviously not branching enough and has storylines branching back into itself kind of like your family tree. so my wording makes sense.

See? can't do it without being an asshat, stop discriminating me for my condition!

Edited by Geressen

Also I wrote incestuous because everyone is related to skywalkers and all the backstories intertwine so the skywalker family tree is obviously not branching enough and has storylines branching back into itself kind of like your family tree. so my wording makes sense.

See? can't do it without being an asshat, stop discriminating me for my condition!

Calling you out for being rude is not "discrimination." We are not using racial slurs, religion, gender, or any other general characteristic to demean you. We are calling you, individually, rude because of your choice to insult anyone who disagrees with you on a personal level.

You also continue to use incestuous incorrectly. If Rey was Luke and Leia's daughter, that would be incestuous. The idea that any family tree goes back to one person is called normal. For example, a normal family tree looks like this:

Grandchild

Son+Wife

Grandparents

Daughter+Husband

Grandchild

Here's the Skywalker tree:

Ben Solo

Leia+Han

Anakin+Padme

Luke+???

Rey

Amazing how that looks perfectly normal. If you don't want to hear about the Skywalkers anymore, that's your opinion. However,1) it's not incestuous and 2) why are you watching Star Wars seeing as every single movie has been about the Skywalkers?

With "everything" we knew "canon" now gone anything could be anything or anyone. Luke does not have to have married anyone, he could have been celibate like his Jedi heroes (maybe even knowing that Anakin's turn to the dark side was over a wife). It depends on what Kasdan and Abrams want to do... they obviously have a treatment of where they want Rey to go that could change when they start to make 8.

Still, I hope the answer is a satisfying one. Somehow I don't feel an answer along the lines of, "She's a girl clone of Luke that Snoke tried to make but was abandoned by the huntsman in the space woods" would be a satisfying.

Well, since she had a force vision when touching this history-loaden lightsaber, since she is mechanically gifted (thats not a jedi-automatic, but a skywalker trait, see Anakin) and a good pilot (again, Anakin and Luke), I think they laid the base for relation with Luke. Doesnt necessarily mean it will turn out so, but I guess it will.

I dont need the relation thing for the thing to work, but I have to admit I would **** miss Mara.

Rey's connection with that lightsaber is very suggestive that she is somehow connected to the skywalker lineage... or at least... inheriting it.

The vision that she see is the corridor of Cloud city where Luke fought Vader... right before the saber parted from Luke. She could be getting only a force impression of the saber in the last few moments it was being used, and nothing more than that. It could be that, if she's not related to Skywalker directly to inherit his mantle, the force has chosen Rey to be its avatar of sorts, and she is struggling with inheriting her destiny.

After all, again, one of the major themes could be that greatness is earned and not inherited. Kylo Ren is wishing very desperately to inherit Darth Vader's power. He's related to Vader by birth, he killed his father (who is not a skywalker), goes out of his way to enhance his voice and appearance like Vader, and now wants Vader's first lightsaber (the one he killed kids with).

However, Rey is using this lightsaber. If she is not related to the Skywalkers she could be inheriting the Skywalker mantle without actually being related to the bloodline at all. This would prove to Kylo he is in the wrong, and help Luke realize the jedi are not doomed by the skywalkers (as Vader killed the Jedi, and Luke may feel responsible for the death of his pupils).

Edited by Norsehound

Rey's connection with that lightsaber is very suggestive that she is somehow connected to the skywalker lineage... or at least... inheriting it.

The vision that she see is the corridor of Cloud city where Luke fought Vader... right before the saber parted from Luke. She could be getting only a force impression of the saber in the last few moments it was being used, and nothing more than that. It could be that, if she's not related to Skywalker directly to inherit his mantle, the force has chosen Rey to be it's avatar of sorts, and she is struggling with inheriting her destiny.

After all, again, one of the major themes could be that greatness is earned and not inherited. Kylo Ren is wishing very desperately to inherit Darth Vader's power. He's related to Vader by birth, he killed his father (who is not a skywalker), goes out of his way to enhance his voice and appearance like Vader, and now wants Vader's first lightsaber (the one he killed kids with).

However, Rey is using this lightsaber. If she is not related to the Skywalkers she could be inheriting the Skywalker mantle without actually being related to the bloodline at all. This would prove to Kylo he is in the wrong, and help Luke realize the jedi are not doomed by the skywalkers (as Vader killed the Jedi, and Luke may feel responsible for the death of his pupils).

good thoughts.

Bravo to you for confessing your ignorance. Edited by Jester006

rant

/rant

Lighten up Francis.

1. People are just speculating based of previously abused arcs ala Hollywood.

2. The prequels are very much appreciated by many fans.

3. Please, tone down the douchery. People here engage in cordial conversation with others that enjoy the same.