Sign in to follow this  
DiabloAzul

The Force Awakens [SPOILER WARNING!]

The movie for me was basically a giant menagerie of all 6 Episodes.  I don't think I actually saw any new material, as all the scenes appear to be based around similar creative elements played by new actors.  At the end of the day, I still enjoyed it a lot, but I can't help but feel that the story was just all the episodes' storyboards scrambled into one film.

On the plus side, by getting all of the references out of the way while simultaneously telling a story, leaving threads to explore, AND setting up new characters at the same time, who knows what the next two will be.

The films had the feeling of being rushed. With little time spend on the screenplay.

It never explained out the whole rebellion to republic to resistance.

Was hoping when the second battle happen on pirates homeworld to see a resistance navy fleet to jump in and engaged in a battle while landing troops to help save han and crew.

Whe. The finally battle happen didnt understand why they didnt send in more ships. I mean the rebellion had a bigger fleet for the attack on the second death star

The films had the feeling of being rushed. With little time spend on the screenplay.

Should it have?  I don't think so - that's for the new EU to fill in (and they already are, Lost Stars covers the battle of Jakku somewhat, Battlefront lets you fight it).

Screenplay didn't feel rushed to me.  JJ tried to fit a bit too much in but it still held together well.

Was hoping when the second battle happen on pirates homeworld to see a resistance navy fleet to jump in and engaged in a battle while landing troops to help save han and crew.

Whe. The finally battle happen didnt understand why they didnt send in more ships. I mean the rebellion had a bigger fleet for the attack on the second death star

It's the first movie in a trilogy, you should be comparing the final battle to the Battle of Yavin, not Endor.  We will get our Massive Space Battle in Episode 9.  This is also covered in the EU (Aftermath) - the New Republic disbands most of its fleet, preferring more local forces over a galaxy-wide fleet.

Edited by SomeKittens

I personally loved the movie, it felt like star wars and some of the set peices where fantastic. However I have three minor gripes.

The scale felt to small, I would have liked more implication of the galaxy at large.

The story would have been just as good without the Death Star 3.0. Cool as it was, I think it's inclusion was unnecessary other then a big bad. The beginning of they story setup just how little the First Order cares for life.

In all honesty it felt to much like ANH. I loved the story but honesty destroying another death machine felt unnecessary. The search for Luke and the conflict that brought was more then enougj.

Edited by darkfortunex

Yeah I have to agree about that. Like if you listen carefully you can get the idea that the Resistance is forces that are opposing former Imperial Factions that still exist and are operating outside the Republic. Basically the die-hards whom wanted to liberate the entire galaxy and weren't content with and remnant of the Empire being left.

We really needed a scene where both Finn and Rey just asked Han "hey if you are Han Solo, why not tell us WTF happened after Endor? Why did the Republic do X?" Or just ask "who is Snoke?" 

Ironically this was an example of just a little too much showing and not enough telling in the movie. We didn't need to be spoon fed a bunch of information, but we needed some dialogue from Han like this:

Han Solo: If we would have kept fighting the Imperial Remnants, the war would have gone for another twenty years. Most of us were tired and wanted to get on with our lives, so we signed the treaty and made a peace. Problem was some of us just couldn't let it go and just kept fighting and formed the Resistance. And others missed the order the Empire brought, and blamed us for it.

Something like that is what we needed. It would have given more context to what happened, even alluded to why Leia and Han fell out with each other.

Edited by Shadoer

So, consider the following:

An older man with a gray beard symbolically hands over Luke Skywalker to a young, thin man with dark, curly hair and says, "This will begin to make things right." Shortly later, Older Man w/Beard is killed and becomes, evidently, irrelevant to the rest of the story.

Young Dark Haired Guy disappears after helping get a new primary character get set in a series of events that leads into the rest of the plot. Later, towards the end of the movie, Young Dark Haired Guy literally swoops in to save the day, in an X-Wing, ultimately allowing those new characters to stop the First (Director) Order from destroying the (Star Wars) Universe.

Maybe I'm just reading in, but it was an amusing thought.

Well if you really want to read things into the Force Unleashed...

Lawrence Kasdan was the writer for this and we know now wrote Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Silverado, and the Bodyguard. Rumor has it that as Lucas wanted more and more credit for the original trilogy and blamed others for things like the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi, Kasdan's career was killed as a result and by 1999 he got no major projects. In fact, the last thing he was allowed to touch before this movie was "Dreamcatcher".

Suddenly he's pulled out of his trailer park where he was left to rot away and both Lucas and JJ Abrams got him to write this movie and outline two after it.

The resulting work features:

- The main villain is effectively a whiny Darth Vader fanboy who doesn't understand who Darth Vader really was or how to build a proper light sabre.
- The main character is a woman who was abandoned on a world where she has spent her life scavenging wrecks of past glorious battles.
- The knowledge that Leia and Han's relationship was a failure in every way. Their son betrayed everyone and turned to the Dark Side.
- The darkness of the films have been turned up to 11. We actively watch Storm Troopers brutally massacring people and know this incarnation of Storm Troopers are child soldiers.
- Everyone is looking for Luke, who has retreated to live life as a hermit on a hidden planet. 
- Basically the movie sets up that nothing after Return of the Jedi ended happily. All the characters we loved ended up with sh*tty lives and the Galaxy is still in a terrible state. Now we are looking to Rey to fix it all.

So, how many of you think Captain Phasma is related to Boba Fett?

...because both of them wear cool armor, have very little speaking lines, are easily defeated by our heroes, and thrown into pits to die.

I see the movie as an unusual type of reboot (which keeps continuity). In terms of character archetypes and narrative functions,

Phasma is Boba Fett

Kylo Ren is Darth Vader

Rey is Luke

Snoke is Palpatine

Other characters are slightly less obvious, but it can be argued that Han fills much the same role that Obi-Wan did, and his role (and Chewie's) is in turn split between Poe and Finn. And it looks like Luke is going to fill Yoda's shoes.

Snoke is clearly hinted to be darth plaquest. Even in the movie his images hints at that. But the novels saya he been around since the end of the clo e wars time frame.

After some hunting and such i convicte the opening crawl should of stated that a state of a cold war exist between the empire and the Republic. With Leia funding a private resistance movement against the 1st order

I don't understand Kylo's Shuttle. I don't. What the hell is up with those wings? The Troop Carriers are more or less the same ship without the wings. They are clearly an aesthetic addition. Maybe to give him something to hissy-fit-chop?

Maz Kanata my turn out to be one of the most interesting characters introduced in Episode 7. She has the ability to appear in all potential movies that have even been hinted at including a Yoda origin story. That 1000 year old alien that somehow got hold of Anakin/Luke's lightsaber may just end up being the proverbial Gun on the Wall in one of the next few episodes.

Snoke is clearly hinted to be darth plaquest. Even in the movie his images hints at that. But the novels saya he been around since the end of the clo e wars time frame.

Yeah the idea that the same theme for when Plagarius was mentioned in Revenge of the Sith and this movie is really pushing the "Snoke is Plagarius angle" and it's possible he just became active again after the Clone Wars, perhaps continuing his experiments.

Although, using my writing knowledge I have a theory on the next movies with Snoke and Rey. Basically

1. Rey was found on a world which also had the Falcon and the map leading to Luke.

2. It's already somewhat established she's not Han and Leia's child.

3. It seems setting us up to think she's Luke's kid, but from a writing perspective if that's what they were going for Luke would have revealed that almost immediately. Also there's not much of a payoff for it if we find that out in the next movie. Presumably that movie will take place years after this and she will be training with Luke for years, and in that time she isn't probably going to find out who her parents are.

4 . Other writing point is that if they are teasing us this much about her parents, odds are the reveal is going to be a huge punch in the gut. Something unexpected. It also should somehow harken back to the other films.

5. Also allusion is that it seems alluded that Luke is responsible for her being abandoned there. It's a rather un-Luke thing to do though, even if it's for her own protection, unless he had a reason to be really worried about her.

6. If Snoke is Plagarius, or even a spiritual continuation of him... it stands to reason he's continued some experiments. Heck the name Snoke relates to a scientist who is pushing the idea that life had to be created by intelligent design, David W. Snoke. 

7. So what if Rey is the result of a Dark Side experiment, similar if not the same one that is alluded to have created Anakin? Perhaps the Knights of Ren and Snoke were trying to replicate the experiment that created Anakin and then Luke interrupted them, but they still managed to create Rey? Luke fearing what she could be had her abandoned on Jakku. Would explain why Snoke is focusing on Luke, also why Luke would try and find the first Jedi Temple... perhaps to figure out the nature of what Rey is and the creation of life from the force and what he is, and it gives some real punch to Rey's desire to find her parents. It would be on par with finding out Darth Vader is Luke's father, except this time she finds out she's Snoke's creation.

It would be on par with finding out Darth Vader is Luke's father, except this time she finds out she's Snoke's creation.

I fully expect Snoke to be Plagueis, but I dunno about Rey being the Chosen One ver2.0. She could be Luke's daughter, although I hope that means we get a Mara Jade flashback.

So, can I just say that I REALLY want Poe added to Armada?  He really seals the deal on the new fighters (both of them!), was a genuinely fun to watch character, and could finally give Rebels a pilot with abilities on par with some of the ridiculous character pilots of the Empire.

Was very frustrated at the lack of big ships, it felt like there were plenty of opportunities to include a small or medium cruiser or something.  We did get whatever Han's new ship is and it looks interesting, but I'm not convinced it would be a great addition.

A Finalizer and a Liberty would be great, but what would they balance it against besides the Liberty?

Yeah the idea that the same theme for when Plagarius was mentioned in Revenge of the Sith and this movie is really pushing the "Snoke is Plagarius angle" and it's possible he just became active again after the Clone Wars, perhaps continuing his experiments.

i will have to respectfully disagree.  Darth Plagueis was an alien from the Muun race; they have no noses.  Snoke most definitely had some nostrils poking out of his face in the scenes we were able to see him.  if your theories prove to be true, my applause shall go out to you  =)

i have a different theory about the next movie.  yes, using a Death Star-like super weapon in TFA is old, but i think it was used to signal a turning point.  the Republic's center of power (capital and fleet) was destroyed by the Starkiller base.  The First Order's seat of power was then in turn destroyed.  So with both sides having lost what appears to be their most valuable assets, this dovetails nicely to introduce a story more focused around a Force struggle and not some technological superiority. 

After all, remember in Episode 4 during the meeting with the Moffs, Darth Vader says:

"Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.  The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

so maybe the Knights of Ren will cause such havoc in the galaxy, it forces Luke and Rey to re-establish the Jedi to put a stop to these agents of the dark side of the Force.

Edited by Jester006

Personally it did feel like a new hope 2.0.  With a bigger death star and again 20 x-wings taking on a huge station and multipleenemy forces.  There are enough twists to alter it slightly mainly the fact its a call to the light side and not dark side, a major person dies like first one and it just sets up the franchise for number 2.  Still could of been better imo lots of plot holes.

You do get a brief glimpse of some Republic capital ships, just not enough to be able to tell much about them.

I think the engine bits have been shrunk to nil - which is pretty impressive given the speed of the thing :)

Also impressive: Poe Dameron's dogfighting skills.

Don't think there's been anyone as good in any of the other movies

I thought it was a bit overdone, myself. I can respect a great pilot, and a wondrous dogfighter - but it was just a bit too over-the-top for my taste. He killed like 6 TIEs in 4 seconds while veering at crazy weird angles. I was hoping he'd be good so I can love how BA his X-Wing looks... but I have mixed feelings after seeing him activate God Mode.

Missile cannon ftw!

No seriously. My first thought, I can't wait for this flippin' upgrade card.

Ordnance Slot - Empire only - you may add all of the black battery dice to your battery pool at close-long range. [black crit] slap your opponent in the face, then deal 5 face down hull damage.

I'd say that seems reasonable for how cool it looked.

Yeah I have to agree about that. Like if you listen carefully you can get the idea that the Resistance is forces that are opposing former Imperial Factions that still exist and are operating outside the Republic. Basically the die-hards whom wanted to liberate the entire galaxy and weren't content with and remnant of the Empire being left.

We really needed a scene where both Finn and Rey just asked Han "hey if you are Han Solo, why not tell us WTF happened after Endor? Why did the Republic do X?" Or just ask "who is Snoke?" 

Ironically this was an example of just a little too much showing and not enough telling in the movie. We didn't need to be spoon fed a bunch of information, but we needed some dialogue from Han like this:

Han Solo: If we would have kept fighting the Imperial Remnants, the war would have gone for another twenty years. Most of us were tired and wanted to get on with our lives, so we signed the treaty and made a peace. Problem was some of us just couldn't let it go and just kept fighting and formed the Resistance. And others missed the order the Empire brought, and blamed us for it.

Something like that is what we needed. It would have given more context to what happened, even alluded to why Leia and Han fell out with each other.

This would've been much better than the line about the Force being true. In the trailers that line seemed like it would be really important... but in the actual movie it seemed bizarrely tacked-on.